Start by marking “Unexpected Knitting” as Want to Read:
Unexpected Knitting

Unexpected Knitting

An entire book's worth of knitting outside the box. The designs emanate from an extraordinary mind, ... but the author has written out detailed and comprehensive instructions for the rest of us. Some designs include: Form knitting, Scribble Lace, Swirl, Sculptural, Virtual, Cellular Automaton and Labyrinth knitting.
Published September 1st 2003 by Schoolhouse Pr (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Unexpected Knitting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Unexpected Knitting

Start your review of Unexpected Knitting
Elizabeth
Oct 28, 2007 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: big math people and bio majors
Shelves: artscrafts
i could not even rate this book- it's really interesting, in that it uses big math and biology to create knitting patterns, but the stuff is kind of...awful. maybe i'm just boring but i don't want a royal purple celtic knot coat or a rainbow butterfly cape. i recognize the skill, but i am unconvinced. i realized that i don't really need biology or big math to create ugly knitted things- i can do that perfectly well with an english major.
Amy
Jul 02, 2008 rated it it was amazing
The woman KNIT A BOAT. I'm not joking. This is probably the most inspirational knitting book I've ready in my two years of being a knitter. She doesn't look at yarn as a means to create a hat or another dang scarf... yarn is used as an art medium. She truly creates ART, by all random definitions of the word. The Stitch'n'Bitch books teach you the mechanics of knitting. This book gives you a look at what knitting CAN be.
Leslie
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting-fibers
I bought this boook in November, 2003 and have been using it off an on ever since. I designed some hats with the swirl technique. It has galleries of just amazing creations, from knitted china tea cups to lace coracles (that a sea-worthy!), to cellular automata, labyrinth knitting. Debbie has been a microbiologist, classical violinist and many other things; and clearly has a mind that loves design and innovation and pushing boundaries.
Mar 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
No, knitting books don't normally count as reading... if they did my list would be all "cables for beginners" and so on. But this one is really, really good, from stained glass to bizarre forms, Debbie New's a master.
Suzanne
Sep 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting
Debbie New is a genius. This book is worth reading even if you never knit from it.
Mckinley
Jul 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Tea cup is fun!
Lauragais
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crafts-knitting
Dieses Buch bieten wahrhaft neue Ansichten über Strickdesign - manche Designs sind zweckgebunden mit tragbaren Endprodukt, einige wenige einfach nur als Kreation schön oder als Objekt (Teetassen!), manche ein textiler Neuanfang "Coracle", ein gestricktes, fast unsteuerbares Boot!
Auch unkonventionelle Materialien werden mit Elan und Freude an Neuem eingesetzt.

Manche Modelle sind eventuell nur von modemutigen Mitmenschen tragbar - doch darauf kommt es Debbie New ja auch nicht an. Sie sprengt die
thuy
Jun 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crafts
This isn't a practical knitting book. It's not a book that you'll turn to when you want to figure out the tubular cast on or when you need a refresher on kitchener stitch. What it is is an amazing and inspiring book full of beautiful and complex patterns and ideas. Sure, I may not want to wear everything in it but I pick up this book when I want to be inspired.
Barbara
Oct 14, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting, my_library
I'll always be reading this one. More about the art of knitting than anything else. Incredible artwork, created from yarn. Few patterns, but that's not what it's for. It's more to stimulate your own ideas, show you what can be done with yarn and a set of needles.
Mar 04, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ill, knitting
This is the most out there knitting book I've ever seen! I can hardly wrap my mind around many of the projects in this book.
Hannah
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing, wonderful book full of techniques and inspiration for knitters who like to stretch the boundaries of knitting, or just make it up as we go along.
Karl
Aug 11, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was the book that made me want to learn to knit. Extraordinary original, sometimes even crazy ideas of what you can do with sticks and string.
Liz De Coster
Feb 21, 2008 added it
Shelves: knitting
This book was beautiful to read and admire, but well beyond my knitting ability. Sad.
SR
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: knitting, nonfic
SO PRETTY. Knitting of teacups and all manner of odd things. Very awesome.
Maylin
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the most inspiring and exciting books I have read.
Linda Morris
Feb 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Not your everyday knitting book, but one my niece, an artist, will love.
Kathleen Dixon
Oct 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: craft
What a sumptuous book! I'm never going to make anything in it, but I have looked through the book at least 20 times since I got it out of the library and I have ideas.
Martha
Patti
Feb 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Russia House
  • London Match (Bernard Samson, #3)
  • A Second Treasury of Knitting Patterns
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • The Watchmaker's Daughter (Glass and Steele, #1)
  • The Ipcress File (Secret File, #1)
  • A Murder in Time (Kendra Donovan, #1)
  • The Bourne Identity (Jason Bourne, #1)
  • Sahara (Dirk Pitt, #11)
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • The Glass Ocean
  • Faceless Killers (Kurt Wallander, #1)
  • A Time to Kill (Jake Brigance, #1)
  • Last-Minute Knitted Gifts
  • Yarn Harlot: The Secret Life of a Knitter
  • Knitters Handy Book Of Patterns: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges (Interweave)
  • Sweater Design in Plain English