Start by marking “The Wire Re-Up: The Guardian Guide to the Greatest TV Show Ever Made” as Want to Read:
The Wire Re-Up: The Guardian Guide to the Greatest TV Show Ever Made

The Wire Re-Up: The Guardian Guide to the Greatest TV Show Ever Made

Includes pieces by top crime writers like Michael Connelly and Irvine Welsh on David Simon's masterpiece, as well as episode guides that take on such themes as the women of The Wire, fathers and sons, and food in The Wire

Multi-layered, morally-challenging, and action-packed—The Wire is an epic novel in the form of a television program. Nothing like it has been made before
Published September 1st 2010 by Random House UK (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Wire Re-Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wire Re-Up

Start your review of The Wire Re-Up: The Guardian Guide to the Greatest TV Show Ever Made
Matthew
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was ok
I love 'The Wire', I don't think it's hyperbole to suggest it's possibly the best television programme ever made and I also have a lot of time for the Guardian online blogs. This book though, I did not like. For all the Guardian's bleating about it's love of the programme (and trust me they really do like to go on about it) this is nothing more than a shameless cash-in. This you could forgive if something new was brought to the table but they couldn't even be bothered to make half an effort, hen ...more
Tulpesh Patel
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tv
The Wire Re-up is a collection of the episode-by-episode Guardian blogs of my, and many, many other's, favourite TV shows ever.

It's an essential read if you've seen all 5 seasons, full of interesting insights and perspectives on the themes and characters explored in the show - it definitely helped me think about things I had missed the first time round.

Great extras include a short essay by creator David Simon and The Wire Top 5's.

You need to cop this right here, yo.
Colin Wilkinson
Nov 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
fantastic companion to the Box Set
Diana180
Sep 10, 2012 added it
Shelves: read2012
This is a convenient printout of the Guardian's online forums on The Wire. That's a useful thing, but I wish they had waited to include reader comments on all seasons rather than publishing halfway through a rewatching cycle. The hasty printing is what feels like cash-in to me, and if the Wire is really such a classic, it wouldn't have hurt to wait.
Lauren
May 19, 2013 rated it liked it
I was a little disappointed when I found out it contained a large collection of fan blog posts. These fans do write very insightful pieces. I was looking for more critical analysis and there are few essays and interviews that don't just gush about how great this show is but truly talk about the why.
Doug Stotland
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, tv, the-wire
It's not a very good book. It reads more like a discussion forum that someone printed, bound and charged $US 10 for but for "The Wire" apostles it's a joy to read because you get to re-live the series.

If you loved "The Wire" you pretty much have to read this book. You'll know it's a half-assed work because it's clear the editors didn't even bother editing but you'll still enjoy reading it.
Jeff Howells
Jan 16, 2015 rated it it was ok
A book you really need to read alongside watching the series, not like me who watched it about 6 years ago. A 'bitty' book which needed more essays and less of the contributions from the online community...surprised how much I had forgotten of the show mind you...
Fernando De la ossa-sanz
Mar 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
I expected to find some extra stuff, but I found out it is just a bunch of dudes telling what they thing about every single episode. Since I don't know too many people that have watched TheWire, I get some diff points of views, enough to enjoy reading from time to time.

Andrea
Jan 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Just because I'm not ready to say goodbye yet. Many typos but I don't really care.
Joy
Apr 08, 2010 marked it as to-read
I loved The Wire!
Bernadette Hawkes
Aug 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
Excellent guide to The Wire.
Catherine
Dec 24, 2013 rated it liked it
An interesting read if you're a fan of the show. Lots of detail and commentary and a range of topics.
Gerry  M

• Nicholas Nickleby
  • Three Things About Elsie
  • Freedom in Captivity: The Art of Being a Museum Guard
  • The Trouble with Goats and Sheep
  • Regeneration (Regeneration, #1)
  • The Eye in the Door (Regeneration, #2)
  • Because Internet: Understanding the New Rules of Language
  • The Ghost Road (Regeneration, #3)
  • A Mindfulness Guide for the Frazzled