Start by marking “Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince” as Want to Read:
Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince

Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince

(Once Upon a Time)

Young, beautiful, and wealthy, Emma Pennington is accustomed to a very comfortable life. Although war rages abroad, she hardly feels its effect. She and her mother travel from their home in Britain to the family estate in Belgium, never imagining that the war could reach them there. But it does. Soon Emma finds herself stranded in a war-torn country, utterly alone. Enemy ...more
Published October 1st 2006 by Simon Pulse

Start your review of Water Song: A Retelling of The Frog Prince
Cara
Sep 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
First off before going in you must know that this retelling is loosely based on the original tale. I thought this was a plus because personally I never was really fond of the original. Really how romantic can a real frog be?

The book is set during WWI and I love how Suzanne Weyn does her retellings with a historic backdrop. It adds realism to the tale. I've also noticed that Weyn seems to like adding lots of languages and accents to her stories, which add more of a cultural effect to them. So we
Sally906
Apr 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful reselling of the Frog Prince - set in WWI Germany
Izlinda
Melanie
May 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm not very familiar with The Frog Prince story, so I had fun reading this retelling...as it was almost like a new story for me. I liked the characters and the setting -- it took place during WWI and I haven't read many books set around that time.
Valerie
Sep 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Valerie by: Ash
Another superb book from the Once Upon A Time series. This book is set in WWI. I read another book called All Quiet On The Western Front. It's a very different book from this one and it was depressing so when Weyn mentioned the Western Front I got all depressed. Don't get the wrong idea, the book was not depressing. It was remembering the other book that got me depressed.

Well anyways, Watersong. I liked the whole set up of the story; Emma and Jack being trapped together because they are under
Dyanna
Jul 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Water Song by Suzanne Weyn is a retelling of the fairy tale The Frog Prince by Grimm Brothers and is the last one written in this series by this author and I think is the best one of her retellings if you ask me.

The story is set in the First World War were Emma a young lady leaves Britain with her mother in Belgium at the demands of her father in order to protect them. But they soon found out that even in Belgium the clutches of the war had arrived. Left alone with 2 servants that do not know
Jenny
Aug 23, 2009 rated it it was ok
Emma, trapped on the continent at her family estate after her mother dies, rescues an American soldier and calls him her husband to keep him from harm. But when her estate is taken over by German soldiers, the ruse is more difficult to keep up - especially since she despies Jack, the American in question. But Jack has secrets of his own... secrets of water and of magic...

I was a bit perplexed by this retelling of "The Frog Prince". It almost works, but falls a bit short of the mark. The
Alison Diem
Jul 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
This was a short and very quick read but I liked it a lot.

It's a re-telling of the Frog Prince story, set in Belgium during WWI. Emma has travelled with her mother to check on the family estate from England but the two are trapped due to the Germans. Emma's mother is killed during an attack and Emma, trapped and alone, spends her time at the estate, just waiting.

Enter Jack- an American who has joined up with the British and Canadians, as the US has not yet joined the war. Fighting in the
Loraine
SUMMARY: Young, beautiful, and wealthy, Emma Pennington is accustomed to a very comfortable life. Although war rages abroad, she hardly feels its effect. She and her mother travel from their home in Britain to the family estate in Belgium, never imagining that the war could reach them there. But it does.

Soon Emma finds herself stranded in a war-torn country, utterly alone. Enemy troops fight to take over her estate, leaving her with no way to reach her family, and no way out.

With all of her
Bookworm
I was not sure what to expect, and was delighted. WW1 is my favorite adventure era, because there are so few good books in that time frame, and Jack and Emma's relationship was sweet and fairly realistic, I thought. (also can I mention how I love it when authors have characters reading books that I love, like Jane Austen and such?)
There was one bad word, in the beginning; and while the plot moved a trifle fast in some places, it followed plausible paths and outcomes.
Kid...was adorable, and I
Morgan Wendel
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book was really well written and entertaining. This book was also informative about the War in Belgium. I liked this book because it was about war but it was also about survival and love. My favorite character is Jack because he's very helpful and he can do almost anything you ask him to do. My favorite part was when Emma wakes up and finds Jack outside while he is about to get killed and she runs to him and then they get released with an offer of two small deep red rubies. Even when they ...more
Mel (Daily Prophecy)
Also on http://thedailyprophecy.blogspot.com

Not all the retellings in this series are a success – this is a good example. I liked the promise of this book. It started out as a lovely story. Emma Pennington is stuck in the family estate in Belgium. She never expected the war to come so close, until the German troops arrive. Emma just saved the life of a man. Jack is part of the Allied troops, but Emma lies to the group of German soldiers and tells him that he is her husband. Jack ended up in the
Rachmi
I never read nor watch the movie of The Frog Prince before, but I get the idea of what it is all about. When I picked this book up, I wonder how the author will tell and transform the hero into the frog. To be honest, reading a frog prince is not that appealing for me. I’m more curious of the way the author retells it, which brings me to this book.

I really like how it feels like a new story for me, despite that I’ve already known (a bit) the story. I also liked the historical setting which
°☆.。.:*・Arianna°☆.。.:*・
The actual rating is 3.5 stars.

The beginning was kind of slow, but kind of intriguing with her getting the letter (view spoiler) I also liked how the book switched between the perspectives of the main characters. It becomes interesting when Emma meets her "Frog Prince," (view spoiler)
Janus the Erudite Artist
Aug 31, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-paperback
Watersong is a short, quick tale that I find so endearing.

This is a retelling of the Grimm Brothers’ well known tale, “The Frog Prince,” more or less I should say. It was loosely based on that story anyway. Weyn pretty much played around with the idea of it and although endowed with magic, giving it a more realistic approach.

The story was set on the brink of World War I. With that I mind, I expected this to be sinking into the depressing state of events. Fortunately, I got a spunky, funny and
Holly
Actually vastly more interesting than I was anticipating, seeing my hit-and-miss record with these Once Upon a Time books.

Set during WWI, this is a very loose retelling. Which I thought was actually pretty awesome. (I thought the same about Spirited, the colonial America retelling of Beauty and the Beast.) I liked that it stuck to the bare bones of the original tale, but the story was completely its own.

While I enjoyed the characters of Jack and Emma, I thought there could have been more
Hanna
Oct 12, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who like the series
This is not my favorite book in the Once Upon A Time Series because it really has nothing to do with the real story of The Frog Prince. Its about this girl who lives in a wealthy family and she and her mother go tho live in one of their estates. This dude from America joins the war he can swim very well hence he is the frog. They fall in love. But through out reading it i was like this is definetly not the best book in the series.
Jamie (ReadsinTrees) Dacyczyn
2.5 stars. A unique, not-very-believable historical retelling of The Frog Prince. Obviously you can't get much story done in only 200 pages, but Weyn at least gets her pacing better than Dokey, a different author in this series. This is set in the first World War, and it's very WWI-lite. Feels like some research has been attempted, but any historian would tear it apart in a second. With no magic component, the retelling aspect felt a bit watered down.
Rosalee
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: highly-recommend
This is a twist on the Frog Prince set during World War One. I really enjoyed this book. I love that it was set during a war. It kept me riveted from the beginning. I really liked the characters in the book.
K.
Aug 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
As a lover of fairy tales, I had hopes for this series. Badly done. Stupid dialogue. At least it was 100% clean, that was appreciated. So nothing to gripe at, except it just wasn't very good.
Jenna
Tried this book twice now, due to setting of the Great War...just isn't quite doing it for me.
Jessica
Jul 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Courtney Squire
Sep 12, 2018 rated it did not like it
I'm rating this book 1.5 stars. This book was so poorly written, it almost hurt to read through the entire thing. I have a lot of questions...
Is Jack a Frog Prince? Or is he just hallucinating?
Can he turn into a frog, or is he just very skillful?
What are these weird dreams that can only come from a druggy?
Is Jack on drugs???
Why does Emma say she loves him when he's been nothing but an a**hole towards her?
Why does Jack love Emma besides her pretty face?
Why were there two red rupees in her locket?
Jamie Kimmel
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
Obviously, this is a retelling of The Frog Prince. I checked the publishing date and it’s 3 yrs before the Disney version so I guess the New Orleans aspect was just a major coincidence? The story is different enough to not feel the same, however. I really liked Jack & Emma’s chemistry and I love how they *spolier* worked together to save one of Jack’s comrades. It’s pretty cool when two people come together for something other than romantic love (that’s nice, but a bit overrated). I liked ...more
Sarah TheAromaofBooks
This book was a retelling ofThe Frog Prince,but set in World War I Belgium without (much) magic. I really, really liked the concept and setting for this story, but honestly the book was just too short for what was going on. This ended up feeling more like an outline/draft for a story instead of a full story, which meant the characters were very flat and I couldn't get behind the main love story because it felt so abrupt. The ending felt rushed and a little strange, and after a big build up ...more
Ei
Mar 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Wow... so this book made me feel a lot of emotions. :) This is really a classic book, being in the same category in my mind as books like "The Little Princess", even though it was MUCH shorter than books actually written in the early 1900s and late 1800s. It was only 194 pages, which was pretty good for the story itself. I don't think it needed anything more.

This wonderful story is about a PRETTY AMAZING, unforgettable character named Jake Verde. I REALLY liked him. He was just... charming,
Stephanie Lives to Read
For this series, this may be one of my more favorite books. The backdrop of World War I really worked well for this story. The magical realism is usually something I don't like but it worked well in this book. The relationship is a nice slow build, no insta-love. The characters are likeable but you can see where their personalities don't immediately mesh well.
Jack is instantly likeable as we know more than Emma does and how honorable he can be. Emma isn't the spoiled brat that she can sometimes
Beth
Jan 27, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: books-of-2018
I like Suzanne Weyn. I like fairy tale retellings. I like historically based fiction.

I didn't like this.

Less than 200 pages should have taken one sitting, not days. But nothing about the story, the characters, etc., engaged me. Emma was a bore. Jack was a bore. Their wannabe love-hate insta-love was the biggest bore. And the history was outrageous. The German colonel just let them live and lounge about? Please. I know it's not meant to be a hard hitting, quasi factual story but... some things
Kate
Apr 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Emma’s mother died leaving her with an estate behind enemy lines in World War I. When she meets a frog, aka a American who was fighting in the British army when he got caught in a gas attack, she finds a friend. Together, they are trapped in Emma’s estate when he Germans take it as their base. Together, the fight for the Allies while learning to care for each other.

I really like the idea of setting fairy tales in other times. It’s like Shakespeare. I thought this was a really sweet story.
Abby Gallier
Aug 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, series-books, 5-8
Another favorite of mine from this series, it is a retelling of the Frog Prince that takes place during World War I. A young heiress becomes a prisoner of war at her family's estate, and must rely on the help of a stranger who survived a recent mustard gas attack because of his ability to hold his breath for a long period of time. They try and fail countless times to escape, which is why you'll want to just keep reading. Needless to say, this is another book that I did not want to put down!

• A Curse Dark as Gold
  • Princess of the Silver Woods ( The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #3)
  • Princess of Glass (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #2)
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • The Swan Maiden
  • Princess of the Midnight Ball (The Princesses of Westfalin Trilogy, #1)
  • Fairest
  • Mira, Mirror
  • Dragon Spear (Dragon Slippers, #3)
  • The Ordinary Princess
  • The Goose Girl (The Books of Bayern, #1)
  • Forest Born (The Books of Bayern, #4)
  • A True Princess
  • Keturah and Lord Death
  • It's a Mall World After All
  • Dragon Slippers (Dragon Slippers, #1)
  • The False Princess
  • The Secret of the Mansion
Suzanne Weyn grew up in Williston Park, Long Island, New York. She has three sisters and a brother. As a girl she was very interested in theater and in reading. Louisa May Alcott was her favorite author, but she also read every Sherlock Holmes story. Suzanne lived pretty close to the ocean and going to Jones Beach was one of her favorite activities Even today, if she goes too long without seeing ...more

Once Upon a Time (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Storyteller's Daughter: A Retelling of the Arabian Nights