Start by marking “A Contract with the Earth” as Want to Read:
A Contract with the Earth

A Contract with the Earth

Focusing on the environmental debate on the principle of common commitment, Gingrich and Maple declare a need for bipartisan environmentalism as they call for a new era of environmental stewardship, one with principles that they believe most Americans will share.
Published November 1st 2007 by Johns Hopkins University Press (first published December 26th 1994)

Start your review of A Contract with the Earth
Todd Martin
Newt Gingrich, hyper-partisan hack and author of the book “Drill Here, Drill Now, Pay Less” (which, in light of the BP oil spill disaster, reflects just how very, very shortsighted and wrong an individual can be) wrote a book promoting the environment?!? Given the anti-environmental rhetoric coming from the right wing coupled with their abysmal track record over the past 30 years regarding environmental protection who woulda thunk it? Yet Gingrich has tried to do just that in “A Contract with ...more
Darell Schmick
Feels like a position statement updating the stance of the conservationist discourse in regards to the environment. I also keep thinking that at the time he was writing it, Gingrich wanted to wrest control of the eco-conscious discourse free from the left. The term that he constantly used that was of note was "mainstream environmentalism", a more palatable label the general public can embrace instead of the label "environmentalist" has gained baggage over the years. Moreover, I think it is ...more
Ray
Nov 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hard time believing I was reading a book written by Newt Gingrich. It sounded like it might have been co-authored by Al Gore. Written late in President Bush's second term, but read as we're nearing the 2012 Presidential primary period, I sense that Newt has now seemed to have backed away from much of what was written in this book. As the GOP 2012 Presidential Primaries are beginning, it appears that Gingrich recognizes that the positions taken when he wrote this book probably won't fly ...more
Kevin Kirkhoff
Jan 31, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: politics
This is where I found out what I was made of politically. This outlines the issues and proposals that the 104th Congress pledged to address come January of '95. Through so much of this book I found myself thinking, "It's about time someone thought of that!", or "Finally, someone (or some people) who have the same ideas that I have." I've read it 3 times. I've even highlighted parts I consider important.
David Rosage
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I deeply enjoyed this book. Newt has such an intellengent way of organizing ideas. In the book he clearly shows that liberals don't have the only solutions to the environmental problem. He give good ideas on how Democrats and Republicans can work together to inspire new green innovations and improve our planet. Great read for any conservative who cares about the planet.
M.A. Stern
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book takes a unique, optimistic view of fighting climate change and embraces doing so from a conservative point of view. Gingrich may not always practice what he preaches in this book but it is insightful nonetheless.
Shaun
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
I thought this book was okay. There are plenty of things we can do to improve the environment, but it won't be solved by government. Only businesses and motivated individuals can do their part to make a difference.
Emily
Dec 08, 2008 rated it it was ok
Eh.
Craig Broccoli
Aug 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
Some parts made me laugh because of its simplistic point of view, it is a very quick read.
Mike Walters
Nov 21, 2014 rated it liked it
I'm just not sure where Newt was coming from with this. It just doesn't sound like his voice. I do appreciate that he tries to not politicize the issues he discusses.
Amanda Linehan
Mar 03, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was OK, nothing remarkable and not bad either. It was surprising to see him come out in full force of what I see as liberal policies, but nothing that he wrote about was groundbreaking.
Drew Johnson
Oct 01, 2009 rated it did not like it
I expect more from Newt. A mere recollection of the importance of conservation and some success in doing so.
Ethan
Nov 02, 2011
Matthew Walden
May 10, 2007
« previous 1 3 next »
Newt Gingrich is well-known as the architect of the “Contract with America” that led the Republican Party to victory in 1994 by capturing the majority in the U.S. House of Representatives for the first time in forty years. After he was elected Speaker, he disrupted the status quo by moving power out of Washington and back to the American people. Under his leadership, Congress passed welfare ...more