Start by marking “The Second Journey: The Road Back to Yourself” as Want to Read:
The Second Journey: The Road Back to Yourself

The Second Journey: The Road Back to Yourself

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  364 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
A true coming-of-age storyfinding your deepest self in the second half of life. For every woman who has set herself on a new path, an answer to Now what?
Audio, 4 pages
Published May 1st 2008 by Blackstone Audiobooks (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Second Journey, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Second Journey

Denise
Mar 02, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good read but sadly except for a few small parts it did not resonate with me. Its hard to relate to someone who has the means to travel to a remote island to find herself or who can tuck herself away on Cape Cod and has time to wander the beach on a daily basis. No offense and I do envy a life like that but I need to find myself and where I'm heading in the middle of working a 50 hour week and having weekends that rush by in a blink of an eye.
I would still recommend this book you never know
Mysteria
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Probably my favourite of all her books. Especially loved her time in Iona. Filled with great quotes.
Leah
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book as a followup to A Year By The Sea...I haven't read An Unfinished Marriage yet, but plan to soon. Joan is such an independent woman, a free spirit, a deep thinker who looks inside herself, always striving to become a better person and gain a deeper understanding of what being a woman is all about. In this book, she finds herself back in Cape Cod amidst the flurry and busy-ness following the success of her first book. She is being taken over by the schedule, the talks, th ...more
Diane
Dec 10, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really liked Joan's first book, A Year by the Sea, but was thoroughly disappointed with this. It's really just a poor, rehash of the first book. It felt tired and trite and more like a novel than a truly believable inspirational book. To me, it felt like she found a shtickt and just wants to wring it dry financially. She repeated tells you about what a success the first book was, but then her husband asks her where she'll find the money to go to Scotland? Oh come on--it just felt like a sad at ...more
Chelsea
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joan Anderson has so much wisdom and one day I would love to meet her in person. This was a wonderful sequel to A Year By The Sea. I find that as I age, life takes us down different roads which we try to find ourselves through the journey of life. Any woman should pick up Anderson's books. They are a gem to light up your life in the most positive way.
Gloria
Oct 08, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women who like to take their time reading
Recommended to Gloria by: Had read the first book
Shelves: for-the-spirit
This is a broadly spiritual book for women looking to lead authentic lives. Encourages women to question their roles and the tasks that comprise our days. Lots of ideas to linger over. Very inspiring. A breath of fresh air.
Grace
Jun 20, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-books
There's a difference between self-reflection and being self absorbed. Annoyed when the ranger told her she was in a protected nesting site and she found him "peevish." Later she found a women who had helped her with transportation and food, "smug." Lots of whining, not much insight.
Sharon Perry-Ferrari
Once again I was inspired and moved by Joan's experiences and her willingness to share them.
She writes
"You can't really know what it is you are supposed to do next unless you depart form the mundane to refire your spirit"

This book will get you started again
Kristi Sparta
Jul 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love all her books! Makes me feel less alone in my mid-life menopausal state!
Gail
Jul 28, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you did not read her first book you would not be able to understand the depth of this book. Repetitive. Dull. A few nuggets. Over all self serving
Barbara
Ms. Anderson is becoming self-indulgent. It seems she just can't be satisfied no matter how hard she tries. A bit disappointing.
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think her chapters about the Isle of Iona made me even more excited to go there!!
Cindy
Apr 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, spiritual
I've always enjoyed the books by this lady who shares her discoveries about life while aging. This one seems just a little harsh as she distances herself from caring for her aged mother. But I shouldn't judge because I have not gotten to that point in my life yet.

Joan and Erik Erikson's Life Chart was new to me. I really liked it.

Stage 1 0-1 Trust vs Mistrust (Hope) At this stage babies learn to trust that their parents will meet their basic needs. If a child's basic needs aren't properly met a
Dianna
Feb 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Reading this book was like riding a stationary bike -- it goes on and on and on but never gets anywhere. I kept waiting for that "Aha!" moment to get me out of my mid-life funk -- maybe a course of action or a word of encouragement toward something -- but NO! There's nothing in this book to motivate, no wisdom, nothing even funny or entertaining in any way. And then it just ends! If you enjoy useless, boring information and listening to someone talk about their own life (I found the author to be ...more
Sharon
Oct 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a good read so do not let the 3 star rating that I assigned hold you back. There were many points made I. This book that resonated with where I am in life. Yes, this author is lucky enough to be able to travel, so her trips are able to help her connect with hertrueself. We can all do that without having to travel far. This book can be an awakening in how to look at mid-life or life events a little differently. I plan to read her other book, A Year by the Sea, very soon for more of her in ...more
Karen Floyd
Mar 07, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read, women
30 January, 2017 - Finished re-reading last night and was disappointed. It did not hold up well on this third (fourth?) re-reading, and I found myself wondering why I'd been so impressed with it previously. It felt slight and rushed, and without the depth of A Year By the Sea. Some good insights but the solution/resolution seemed too facile in the end.

27 January, 2017 - Started re-reading this again with an eye to using it in a retreat with some friends. Iona, alas, is out of our price range, th
Pat Jorgenson Waterchilde
Joan Anderson gathers wisdom of self from many sources and that is the way it should be. The Second Journey reveals the understanding of self as a journey through which many people travel, share, contemplate and attempt to understand how they are as they are. I enjoy reading Joan Anderson simply for the wisdom she shares although not always embracing how she traveled. Women need to journey, go deep within themselves and nurture themselves in whatever manner they can. Thanks Joan for many nuggets ...more
Jane Butler
This book was a little simple for my taste. I liked the whole premise of going on a journey to discover your roots because I have done that and enjoyed it greatly. There is real merit in that experience. But the idea of tying it to a discovery of self, at least in the way this author describes it, is not convincing. Staying home for the discovery of self, and really focusing on issues, would be more believable for me.
CJ James
Jan 11, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Did not finish this book. Read enough to decide it was enough.

When she told the story about how she cleaned out her daughter in law's basement, threw away some stuff "with the best of intentions" without asking, and then mocking her daughter in law for being upset, I just lost interest in the author.

Shame, because I liked some of her other books. I think I just dislike the author.
Christine Lussier
Ehh--started out ok, but then lost me. The author is fortunate (?) to be able to up & leave on a whim, heading off to "find herself/find inner peace". Not very realistic. Some of her stories were a nice read, but towards the end I was tired that she had gone off over seas, alone, doing HER thing. Would have given 2.5 star, but couldn't get the .5 to work.
Lori
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this one up because I had read her first book, A Year by the Sea. It was interesting to read where her life has gone in these 10 years. However the solo journeys to Cape Cod & Iona seemed lonely to me, and she seemed to spend time a fair bit of time in both places soaking wet & muddy. Though I would love to go to the Iona she describes, it was just a nice, quick read.
Kat872
Sep 22, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't really feel like I learned anything new in this book. I enjoyed A Year By the Sea a lot more. I'm sure I would feel a lot better about my mid-life if I could stay in a free cottage on Iona for 3 weeks. After her first book I felt inspired. After this one I feel like the answer to feeling bad about your life is to run away from it.
Shirley Freeman
I read this one for bookgroup. It was barely okay. It's supposed to encourage mid-life women to make the changes necessary to improve their life. I don't think it said much of anything. My engineering father would say it had a "low signal-to-noise ratio."
Elle
I wanted to be inspired by Joan Anderson as I was in A Year by the Sea, and Unfinished Marriage etc. However, I was disappointed. I felt like she hadn't listened to her own writings... I will say though that I enjoyed the quotes throughout.
Carol
Jan 29, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
I thought this book was just ok - some insights, but nothing particularly exciting. The last third of the book was the most interesting. Since it isn't a long book, it might be worth reading, especially if you feel your life is in a rut.
Sharon Leslie
I read this book in a day. it is truly inspirational, thought provoking and encourages us as women to look inward and reflect on what matters to us as we age and finish certain chapters in our lives.
Lisa
Mar 24, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read for someone who hasn't already discovered pressing the restart button. Lovely in parts and in other parts slightly awkward. Impressive woman--dares to break with the mold to explore new regions of possibility.
Jakki
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd like to meet the author and go to one of her workshops. A bit new-age but I love what she was ale to do with her life to get herself back to where she needed to be. The luxury of being able to get away for an extended time - how nice!
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Anderson, author of A Year by the Sea, has fallen back into old habits. She is running and gunning and she is not happy. Reflection about her stressful life sends on a short sabbatical where she reconnects with the deepest and most satisfying part of herself again.
Jan Schroeder
  • Walking to Vermont
  • Shelter for the Spirit: Create Your Own Haven in a Hectic World
  • Listening Below the Noise: A Meditation on the Practice of Silence
  • The Terrible Speed of Mercy: A Spiritual Biography of Flannery O'Connor
  • Clowning in Rome: Reflections on Solitude, Celibacy, Prayer, and Contemplation
  • The Seventh Gate
  • Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas, and Found Happiness
  • Born in the Big Rains: A Memoir of Somalia and Survival
  • The Duty of Delight: The Diaries of Dorothy Day
  • One Perfect Word: One Word Can Make All the Difference
Ever since I can remember I have been curious—asking questions, trying to figure out life’s meaning—all in an effort to live fully and get it right. My career began as a stringer reporter for the Gannett newspaper chain. As I practiced the craft of writing, I moved on to photo essays books for children, then the breakthrough book, Breaking the TV Habit, and finally into the genre of memoir. The la ...more
More about Joan Anderson...
“Traveling is not just seeing the new; it is also leaving behind. Not just opening doors; also closing them, never to return. But the place you have left forever is always there for you to see, whenever you shut your eyes.” 3 likes
“Someone asked Robert Frost toward the end of his life if he had hope for the future; I was so taken by his answer that I memorized it: “Yes,” he replied, “and even for the past . . . that it will turn out to have been all right for what it was—something I can accept—mistakes made by the self I had to be or was not able to be.” 1 likes