Start by marking “Pocket History of the Church: A History of New Testament Times” as Want to Read:
Pocket History of the Church: A History of New Testament Times

Pocket History of the Church: A History of New Testament Times

(The IVP Pocket Reference Series)

The story of Christianity is a fascinating tale. Here we find drama, vision and expansion along with failure, setbacks and tragedy. Yet during the past two thousand years the power of Jesus is felt throughout the interplay of human actors and the forces of world events. How can you grasp the story played out on such a gigantic stage? This book is an ideal place to start. ...more
Published April 10th 2002 by IVP Academic (first published April 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Pocket History of the Church, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pocket History of the Church

Start your review of Pocket History of the Church: A History of New Testament Times
Jes Drew
May 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
A very clear overview of church history- and small enough to, of course, fit in your pocket. Definitely the easiest of the three textbooks I was reading in my church history course to understand, but it packed a lot of info too.
Ryan Hawkins
To my surprise, I *loved* reading this! I just decided to pick it off my shelf and try it out. Every once and a while I do this with church history books, but I rarely get through them. But this one was different.

I have taken church history courses both in undergraduate and graduate studies, so in one hand, this was nothing too new (except, of course, for all the many things you forget even after studying a subject). But what made this book unique was how instructive he was on the spiritual
Heather Goodman
Feb 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good intro/overview, but more aptly named, The Pocket History of the Protestant Church, or maybe even of the Evangelical Church. ...more
Kim
Oct 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really good introduction to church history. Trying to learn about such an in depth and far reaching subject can feel daunting, but I feel better prepared now to tackle a little more in depth reading on the subject.
Jonathan
My knowledge of church history was previously limited to arbitrary events, people and ideas. This book helped me put it all together. Dr. Bingham's views were very apparent and he didn't mind giving his own opinions, which made the book that much more enjoyable. He also contrasted church history with scripture and gave application to 21st century Christians which we engaging. The book focuses primarily on the western church and why the modern church is the way it is today. It would have been ...more
Thomas Achord
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: history, theology
It is mostly a history of the ideas of the church but not the people, lives, events, doings of the church as a physical or civilizational institution. Perhaps Bingham would have done well to define what is the church before he embarked upon a history of it. In any case, a history of the ideas and beliefs of the church is well and good and necessary. This overview focuses on evangelical theological traditions, but is lightly fair, albeit tangential, to Catholicism from which it emerged.
Mark Anderson
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An excellent introduction into Church history. I have walk away with a better understanding of the history of the Church from the early church fathers to Billy Graham. Highly recommended for those who are interested in learning about Church history but don't know where to start.
Mel Foster
Good basic little survey. Mix of lyrical and historical style.
Jonathan Maikell
Oct 16, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good introduction to church history. I highly recommend this book if you havent spent time with the church fathers. ...more
Jonathan
Apr 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Fascinating look into church history
Jordyn Smith
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
It is an okay summary of the history of Christianity since the book of Acts. There are, however, better and more detailed books to read on this subject.
Lauren
The first half of the book was fine, and did an admirable job. The last half, with the more contemporary issues, the author started promoting his own agenda. History is not an excuse to push your own views. It is unprofessional and bad scholarship to go from simply presenting history to promoting your own ideals of theology. The last chapter was also poorly done, as though a college student had said 'forget it, I only need one more page so I'll just throw everything in here to get the proper ...more
christina
Nov 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This proved an excellent short introductory survey of church history (by a Dallas Seminary professor). Dr. Bingham includes quite a few quotes from leading theologians, especially considering the brevity of the book. The medieval section may have the most marked passages. I also appreciated what I felt to be the author's fair presentation of strengths and weaknesses alike for each era and movement. The book concludes with a substantial bibliography for further exploration, and it has motivated ...more
Chris Pray
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book for what it is...a short, fly by "history" of the church. It's good for showing a very brief overview of some of the key characters and stages in the history of the Christian church. I found that it piqued my interest in a number of stages in church history, particularly the dark ages, the reformation and the great awakening.

It's not long and it's worth reading.
Al
Aug 20, 2012 rated it liked it
Well written summary of church history in less than 200 pages. Concise, clear, and informative this pocket book gives an overview for any reader. One weakness is that the writer gave much more information on early church history than middle, late, or current.
Phillip Klinglesmith
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book was about a 10 mile high flyover of all Church History from the apostolic fathers to liberalism/evangelicalism. I enjoyed it, but mainly it served to make me want to read a real, substantive, more detailed work about Church history.
El
May 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
This is a great book for a quick overview but he sometimes exaggerates the views of theologians like Finney, so I felt the need to double check some things.
Trevor Binkley
May 09, 2013 rated it liked it
A very lean history, but some pearls and an excellent review of the frightening antics of Charles Finney.
Ben Warren
May 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: to-sell-in-kenya
Excellent first book in an introduction to Church History. Get it, then move on to Mark Knoll's Turning Points, and Bruce Shelley's Church History in Plain Language
Brent Colby

• Mercy Road
  • Becoming Elisabeth Elliot
  • Searching for Sunday: Loving, Leaving, and Finding the Church
  • Christian Theology
  • Compassion (&) Conviction: The AND Campaign's Guide to Faithful Civic Engagement
  • Profiles in Corruption: Abuse of Power by America's Progressive Elite
  • Who God Says You Are: A Christian Understanding of Identity
  • Surprised by Paradox: The Promise of "and" in an Either-Or World
  • I Am Restored: How I Lost My Religion but Found My Faith
  • The Marriage and Family Experience: Intimate Relationship in a Changing Society
  • The Treasure Principle: Unlocking the Secret of Joyful Giving
  • The Trellis and the Vine: The Ministry Mind-Shift that Changes Everything

The IVP Pocket Reference Series (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Pocket Dictionary of Theological Terms
  • Pocket Dictionary for the Study of New Testament Greek
  • Pocket Dictionary of Apologetics & Philosophy of Religion: 300 Terms Thinkers Clearly Concisely Defined
  • Pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies: Over 300 Terms Clearly Concisely Defined
  • Pocket Dictionary for the Study of Biblical Hebrew