Start by marking “The Doors” as Want to Read:
The Doors

The Doors

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  204 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
The Doors are rock royalty. Jim Morrison, Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, and John Densmore reinvented rock 'n' roll in the 60s, and their influence can be felt even today. Now, for the first time, the living members of the band are opening up their personal archives to their fans, telling their story in their own words. This book is filled with untold anecdotes and never-bef ...more
Published November 7th 2006 by Hachette Books (first published October 25th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Doors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Doors

Victoria Nicholson
May 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Terse journalistic examination of the entire band as artists.New interviews. A feast of photos too of course.Jim Morrison may have rewritten Blake and the author of Soul of a Indian a bit. Still he made the masses think bringing them the underground and elite.
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing!
Essi (morrisongrl)
Amazing photos and good interviews.
Iowa City Public Library
The hot sizzling steaming mindless agony of what we call summer is only buffered by a great soundtrack. Well that’s what I think. For me, summer is The Doors. In a great new biography published in late 2006, the surviving members of The Doors, Ray Manzaric, John Densmore and Robby Krieger along with Rolling Stone write and editor Ben Fong-Torres recount the bands heyday in Los Angeles and its ride to success. In a story well known to any rock reader we hear about the early days in Venice and the ...more
Matti Karjalainen
Ben Fong-Torresin (The Rolling Stone -lehden entinen päätoimittaja, joka vilahti mm. "Almost Famous" -leffassa) toimittamassa The Doors -historiikissa äänen saavat yhtyeen jäsenet, tuottajat tyttöystävät, perheenjäsenet ja muut bändin vaiheita lähempää tai kauempaa seuranneet ihmiset haastattelujen tai muiden vastaavien kommenttien muodossa. Jim Morrisonin lausuntoja on myös ympätty mukaan, eikä ihme, sillä häneenhän yhtyeen tarina pitkälti henkilöityy.

Rumpali John Densmore tuntuu jälleen kerran
Tee Bylo
Jun 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Being a Doors fan I bought this book on the recommendation of an Amazon.com reader from the US.....and I am so glad that I did!!
The story of this unique group is told through their own words and of others including Jim Morrison's family.
The pictures and the picture quality is excellent and the book offers a new and exciting perspective on the group, including their personal thoughts on their charismatic singer and of their musical careers after his early death.
If you buy only one book about "
Logan Weatherly
Sep 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Great insight from all the band members and crew that made the Doors unique and fantastic. Usually anything doors related is focused mainly on Morrison but this book has endless insight and opinions from producers to the bands family. 4 unique individuals and their incredible, albeit short journey, into music infamy.
Outi
Feb 24, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lainatut, non-fiction
It was kinda okay. Yes, it told the story of the Doors. But. The drug abuse and the music kind of disappered into one thing and that was idolizing Jim Morrison. Little notes were aside noting Densmores dislike of Morrisons work ethics, but that was mostly it. The rest was a love song to a singer-songmaker and not a story about the whole band. ...more
Joy
Mar 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An extremely well-produced coffee table book -- the kind you really read. Tons of quality pictures and a real attempt on the part of Ben Fong-Torres to understand. Much of the text is from the other members of The Doors and their connections, in a balanced arrangement.
Tunde
May 25, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: To all Doors fans!!
It is a very lovely book,very informative...
Sarah O'neil
Apr 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Great book for any doors fan ❤ ...more
Tifinie
Apr 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
same as the joan jett book this book has lots of pictures during the bands lives lots of unseen pic of jim morrison and the band
Matthew Griffin
Aug 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great! Every one in the band had a voice in this story, as it should be. Great pics too.
Ness Lockhart
Jun 26, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish
Didn't find it as interesting as the last book I read about the doors. Couldn't finish it. I liked looking at the pictures though.
Tom
if you like The Doors, this is a great coffee table book.
Janne Paananen
  • The Jim Morrison Scrapbook
  • Before I Get Old: The Story of the Who
  • Light My Fire
  • To Live Is To Die: The life and death of Metallica's Cliff Burton
  • The Emperor's New Clothes : An All-Star Retelling of the Classic Fairy Tale (with Audio CD)
  • Political Ponerology
  • Dream on: Livin' on the Edge With Steven Tyler and Aerosmith
  • Pearl: The Obsessions and Passions of Janis Joplin
  • Crazy Diamond: Syd Barrett and the Dawn of Pink Floyd
  • Diary of a Rock N' Roll Star
  • The Specter of Communism: The United States and the Origins of the Cold War, 1917-1953 (Hill and Wang Critical Issues)
  • Rockin' in Time: A Social History of Rock-And-Roll
  • Riders on the Storm: My Life with Jim Morrison and the Doors

“The killer awoke before dawn, he put his boots on.
He took a face from the ancient gallery
And he walked on down the hall
He went into the room where his sister lived, and...then he
Paid a visit to his brother, and then he
He walked on down the hall, and
And he came to a door...and he looked inside
Father, yes son, I want to kill you
Mother...I want to...fuck you”
23 likes