Start by marking “Phonogram, Vol. 2: The Singles Club (Phonogram, #2)” as Want to Read:
Phonogram, Vol. 2: The Singles Club (Phonogram, #2)

Phonogram, Vol. 2: The Singles Club

(Phonogram #2)

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  1,514 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
We've put you on the guest list. Don't be late! This is one night you'll never forget! The second series of Phonogram separates itself from the frenzied mob of adoring critics just long enough to transform into this handsome collected volume, which features seven individual-yet-interconnected stories set in a single night in a single club, each starring a young phonomancer ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Image Comics

Chad
Aug 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
A night at a club, each issue told from a different perspective. Far superior to the first volume and for less obtuse. For one, I could tell what was going on at all times. I loved all the music talk. I'm a music nut and had similar conversations with my friends. Jamie McKelvie and Matthew Wilson are a comic dream team on art.
Kaitlin
Mar 09, 2016 rated it liked it
This second volume of Phonogram definitely worked better for me than the first. This one is a new era of music, early 2000s, and we also get some references to other pop culture of the time. I definitely felt that I could connect a little more with the characters in this volume, and I liked that all the stories linked and were told in tandem as that's a pretty cool idea.

We also get this volume in full colour which I really appreciated because although it's still not quite as marvellous as their
Eilonwy

3-1/2 stars, rounded up (the Pinky and the Brain reference in the story put me in a good mood :).

This is a collection of seven intertwined stories, each one loosely connected to a dance song popular in the UK in 2006 (I had to look most of the songs up). I enjoyed the set-up, and how each previous story became a little clearer when seen through the lens of the next story. It's less complex or deep than Phonogram 1, but it was interesting and intriguing, and I'd really love to see more of all of
Stacey (prettybooks)
Before I loved books, I loved music. In The Singles Club, each character gets their own comic, telling the story of one night in a dance club, in a world where music is magic – and they are all "phonomancers". It's a little odd and I didn't love all the characters' stories, but I enjoyed the bubbly Penny B and her love of dancing, The Pipettes, and beautiful boy Marc, who can't get over his ex. It's not a favourite, but a fun concept all the same.

I also reviewed this book over on Pretty Books.
Виктор
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Perfect narrative, perfect artwork. I've never read anything like this before. I can't explain it with words, and anything I say about what you experience reading this would be a spoiler. Because an 'expectative spoiler' is much worse than a 'fact spoiler' with this comic book.

Fuck it, I'm not even worthy enough to say anything about this book, Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie are masters.
Nick
Feb 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The first volume of Phonogram sometimes got so bogged down in its own argument it wasn't clear whether its magic was anything more than just a metaphor. There's nothing uncertain about things in The Singles Club. Anyone can bring their own magic out when the music starts and the moment is right.

The seven issues in this volume take place over a single night, each telling the story of a different person at the same nightclub. Some are new, some are back for more. David Kohl, Emily, and Kid with Kn
Antonomasia
How did TV on the Radio get on to the no-boy-singers playlist, anyway?

After two readings - one skim-read on the day it fell through the letterbox, and one closer reading after an online conversation in which it was mentioned - I still can't quite rate this book. Things from the past get in the way of seeing the now, as for Emily staring into the mirror at Clare.

However The Singles Club is more accessible to those less familiar with Britpop, unlike Rue Britannia: the story is driven more by the
Cale
Mar 13, 2016 rated it liked it
I liked this volume a fair bit more than the first volume - it seems more in keeping with singles, as we have seven stories revolving around an hour at a club. The characters are more strongly delineated, and the color adds a lot to the art, making it gorgeous in some places. The individual stories of the separate characters are somewhat hit-and-miss, although all of them are a lot more digestable than the plot of the first volume. The DJ and the Silent girl were my favorite, but also perhaps th ...more
May Watson
Holy cow! I understand finally why everyone loves this series.

Volume 1 was confusing and a bit boring (especially as Britpop is a little before my time) but Volume 2 broke my tiny indie heart with the references to The Long Blondes (!), CSS (!) and Operator Please (!!!!!!).

There is a quiet and beautiful magic in dark and dirty indie clubs and The Singles Club captured it perfectly.

And, of course, name checking my absolute all time favourite band Los Campesinos! didn't hurt either.

Love love lo
Chris Lemmerman
Oct 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
A little easier to understand all of, compared to the first volume, and very enjoyable as a result. There's still some of the material that flies over my head, but I can see why this is lauded the way it is - I've never read anything quite like it. McKelvie's art is excellent as always, especially in colour.
P D
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
I'll admit this was more obscure than Vol 3, and as such I missed a number of in-jokes I imagine.
Barbara
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, urban-fantasy
3.5. Better than the first one...
Bill
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What an improvement over the first volume of this series, "Rue Brittania", which I found obscure, self-indulgent, and lifeless -- this is a genuinely fun read, a set of seven interconnected stories taking place the same night in a small club in England. The rules include "no magic", but when everyone in the room is at least a novice Phonomancer (able to use music to magical effect), shenanigans are bound to occur.

There's a special art in writing stories about characters I can't stand, and making
Rachael
May 29, 2012 rated it did not like it
I also grabbed this one when I was at the library. I had such high hopes for the Phonogram books. This one was better, but still not good.

This book is a series of short stories about 20-somethings on a club night. I'm not crazy for stories about 20-somethings but ok, I'll give it a try.

The artwork was in color this time. It was more lively, but still lacked energy over all. The only character that had energy and life was Penny. And all of the other characters, in the stories she was in, spent th
Brittni
Jul 19, 2015 rated it liked it
I was really into the way the stories are spliced and layered on top of one another. I had just read The Wicked and The Divine which rocked my proverbial balls off and I was on an insatiable hunt for more Keiron Gillen witchcraft. GIVE ME MY GILLEN CRACK! The story line is a cool idea, but the characters are pretty one dimensional and all of them, I think it's safe to say, are some regulatory basic bitches. You just know at some point in the future these yokels are gonna be all up on some pumpki ...more
Amy Mckee
Mar 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
So I picked this up in the library after reading WikDiv and loving but to be honest I didn't even realise it was the second one as it doesn't say that anywhere on the cover. Despite this (and not even realising till I finished it) I really enjoyed seeing all the different perspectives and seeing how all these lives connected together. Like the concept but still a little blurry on it, this is probably because I didn't read the first one first, or maybe it's just like WikDiv and you're not really ...more
Amal El-Mohtar
Feb 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this. As much as I was impressed by the first volume, I genuinely enjoyed this through and through: much less of David Kohl patronizing you, much more of the culture of different phonomancers interacting with their different characters, tastes, and perspectives. The final, all-but-wordless chapter was a fantastic wrapping-up of the whole, and a solid counterpoint to the first volume's volubility.

It was a real treat to actually like the people in this book, even though some of them were
BellaGBear
Mar 02, 2015 rated it it was ok
Overall the book was not really engaging for me. The only issue I really loved was 4 because the DJ dynamics was funny and the expressions on silent girls face hilarious.

I keep thinking that these phonogram books are meant for people who are into the britpop scene or at least already love it a lot because I could not really get into the vibe of the book.
Melissa
Really gorgeous "short stories" (one per issue) set during one evening during an Indie night at a music club. David, Emily, and Kid-With-Knife appear and we're introduced to Penny, Laura, Marc, and Lloyd.

I think my favorite was the issue with the DJs Seth and the Silent Girl. Also, I got my wish for color :). And the track list they use for the club night is excellent.
Sara D
Jul 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This series really hit its stride with this second story arc. I enjoyed it as a music fan, a comics fan, and a fan of awesome storytelling. This is a magical realism series with a novel take on magic, and very believable realism.

I would for more of this series to exist. Will it ever happen? Probably not, but a girl can dream.
Scott Robins
Feb 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: gn
That's better - less of the Grant Morrison-esque stuff in this collection and lots of really good character moments. Still not entirely sure what's going on but I'm liking it. Looking forward to the recently announced 3rd mini series.
Karen
Jul 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
What tf did I just read

ETA several days later: actually you know what, I'm not done with this. This was the most pointless and arrogant piece of shit I've ever read. The only reason why it's got two stars from me is because I liked the art.
anaïs
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
way to hit my musical + feelings sweetspot. a great read for those who love music in a gross all consuming way.
Kelly Woodward
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Note: This is sort of a review of volumes one *and* two. It's all blurring together. Sorry.

SO glad I gave this one a second shot. I was paying for a WicDiv trade and the girl at the counter asked if I'd read Phonogram. I had -- the first trade -- and told her that I felt a little alienated because I didn't get a lot of the music references. She said that she got that but that as the second arc rolled around they started to do some really interesting things. She mentioned it again the next time
Jessica
Feb 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just re-read the entire Phonogram series after getting The Immaterial Girl. The Singles Club stands out as my favorite. It's less involved about the magic than Vol. 1, less plot driven than both 1 and 3. It's about a beautifully epic night out dancing. The rules? Only female singers. You must Dance. No magic. I'd LOVE to go to a night like this. The Phonogram crew is there, but most of the story centers on younger phonomancers, crushing on each other while learning about their own magic. My ab ...more
The Lost Dreamer
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed more the first volume, maybe because I was deeply shocked by the universe created by Gillen. In this case, I enjoy the characters, specially the DJs, but the plot is too abstract for my taste. Anyway, there are a couple of pages that made me cry, because this comic really depicts the way that music makes me feel. Again, I loved the imagination, the bright ideas, the references, the jokes. I love Indie Dave with all my heart. I just wished I was as thrilled by these guy's miseries as wi ...more
Jason
Jun 08, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
I liked this so much better than vol 1.

Part of it was because they were referring to an era of music I listened to at the time (I've been listening to New Young Pony Club and CSS since I read it). Part of it was because it wasn't all in B&W like the first volume. The story was also just better and more cohesive.
Ronnie
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
*Reseña sujeta a cambios*

3.5/5 porque creo que me costó agarrar un poco el hilo pero al final entendí la idea. No me parece tan bueno como el primero, pero está bien para pasar el rato. Creo que lo que menos me gustó fueron los colores porque en cierto momento me molestaban pero sin colores no hubiera funcionado.
Shipofools999
Aug 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: borrowed
I gave this one a chance even though I didn't understand the first book. This didn't help in making more sense of anything either.

I do not think it is a bad book, just boring because I didn't get it. (I feel slightly ashamed to admit I didn't understand it. I would like to think it is because it is bent in a different direction than the bends I have in my mind.)
  • Suburban Glamour
  • Seaguy
  • Forgetless
  • The Nightly News
  • Infinite Kung Fu
  • Grandville (Grandville #1)
  • Scooter Girl
  • The Starman Omnibus, Vol. 1
  • Fatale, Vol. 3: West of Hell (Fatale, #3)
  • Wednesday Comics
  • The Escapists
  • Loki: Agent of Asgard, Vol. 1: Trust Me
  • Blade of the Immortal, Volume 20: Demon's Lair
  • Captain Marvel, Volume 2: Down
Kieron Gillen is a comic book writer and former media journalist.

Phonogram (3 books)
  • Phonogram, Vol. 1: Rue Britannia (Phonogram, #1)
  • Phonogram, Vol. 3: The Immaterial Girl