Start by marking “A Can of Peas” as Want to Read:
A Can of Peas

A Can of Peas (Lake Emily #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  720 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews
Weaving together the strong threads of family and friends in a pattern of grace, forgiveness, and kindness, A Can of Peas invites readers into a place where every day brings a new story and neighbors are more than just people who live down the road. Sometimes funny and often poignant, these vignettes will draw both men and women into the reassuring rhythms of life as it ou ...more
Published July 16th 2002 by WaterBrook

To ask other readers questions about A Can of Peas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Can of Peas

Traci
Nov 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Okay, it's my first book I have to like it!
Kasey
Jan 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite-books
An excellent book that will open your eyes to the troubles and joys of midwest farm life. Learn to have more appreciation for the simple joys in life, right along with Peter and Mae. After all as Leonardo da Vinci said: "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication."
Diane
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book!!! I especially enjoyed the sense of history that came with the "flashbacks." I recommend this to anyone that likes a good story where not a lot happens, but it's fascinating anyway - kind of like my life!
Liza
Sep 07, 2017 rated it liked it
I liked this sweet book, though I found it a little corny and predictable - I don't mind that if I'm in the right mood.
Kate
Jan 09, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: anyone who likes Mitford, Harmony, or Elm Creek
Traci Depree's Lake Emily books were recommended to me because I am/was a fan of Jan Karon and Philip Gulley's similar tomes. Traci Depree's novels are another entry into the (I think) relatively newish genre of Christian literature.

I am not a particularly religious person, but I love Philip Gulley's Harmony books above most books I've read in the past 10 years. I find my enthusiasm for the Mitford series has waned, they're a little too preachy. So I find myself approaching Christian fiction wit
Donna
Sep 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
I really enjoyed this book. It's about a young man named Peter whose grandfather just passed away. He has many fond memories of helping his grandfather on the farm in Minnesota and wonders why his father didn't stay there to take over the farm. He resents his father, who is a musician, for always moving around while he was growing up and for missing his grandfather's funeral. Peter is between jobs and he and his new wife Mae are staying in her parents basement which hasn't been ideal. Mae's mom ...more
jimtown
Mar 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a new author for me. A Can of Peas is the first book in the Lake Emily Series. At Chapter 12, I'm finding her writing smooooooooth and very descriptive. I enjoyed A Can of Peas very, very much. It got four stars only because nothing exciting happened in the story. It was all too pleasant.
The very best part of the story was the excellent descriptions of activities on the farm. All the characters were likeable but it was the addition of Trudie, Mae's sister that was truly a delight in the
Becki
Feb 11, 2015 added it
Shelves: book-collector
Book Club book for November\nPeter and Mae Morgan make a decision to change their entire life-style. They are leaving their city existence in St. Paul to move to Lake Emily, Minnesota, and take over the family farm. Their learning curve is steep as they learn about farming and try to find a place in this small community. \nThis book was pleasant�a nice story, nice characters�for the most part. It wasn�t until the end that the characters and the story really caught me and spoke to me on a deeper ...more
Valerie
Jun 14, 2014 rated it liked it
After the death of his grandfather, Peter Morgan and his bride of six months, Mae, face a life-changing decision: should they embrace the career-chasing ambitions of their family and friends in St. Paul or try and save the family farm in the Minnesota?

With thoughts of living the quiet, serene life and to get away from living with Mae's mother, the Morgans set out to follow in the footsteps of Peter’s grandparents. Soon, they are learning not only how to run a farm, but figuring out how to see ea
Mary Lou
Feb 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Similar to Gulley's "Harmony" without the humor. Too many farming details.
Angela
Sep 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction-adult
This is a memoir-style story-driven overtly Christian fiction book with well-developed characterization and strong sense of rural-Minnesota place. The story starts out somewhat simplisticly though engagingly, and even though I enjoy description in my fiction, I felt it moved a little slowly at the beginning for my taste. It is authentic in its farm knowledge, and a person feels they can learn the workings of a farm and its prodidgious to-do list by learning along with the main character. This wa ...more
Jamie
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: book-club
This book made me think of what my mother went through being a Detroit city girl and moving to a farm. It made me smile, laugh, cry... The last scene is so typical of that country living hospitality, it made me sob!

A young couple moves to the husband's grandparents farm to help out after the grandpa passes away. They left the face-pace city life behind along with their ambitious careers. Can they run a successful farm without any knowledge of doing so?

I didn't know this book was a Christian nove
Nancy
Nov 10, 2014 rated it liked it
I found this on a list of books similar to something else that I had read. I do not remember what the original book was. There were five similar authors and I had read all of the other four. A newly married couple, Peter and Mae, are the main characters in this book but there are so many more characters and story lines, all of them interesting. Peter is the grandson of a farmer, who only got to the farm on visits when he was growing up. When his grandfather dies, Peter decides to abandon his job ...more
Ellie
Mar 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Come visit Lake Emily, where a charming small town community welcomes newcomers Peter & Mae Morgan into their midst. Share the laughter and tears along with the Morgans, as they struggle to save the family farm and embrace life in a close-knit community so very different from the life they once had in the city. A heart-warming story that leaves you feeling uplifted and thankful for the simple joys in life, appealing to readers of Janette Oke, Jan Karon (Mitford series) Philip Gulley (Harmony ...more
Patricia Tennesen
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
This novel is about relationships, yet the characters are all sugar-coated making the story feel like a Hallmark movie. Good for some readers but not for me as I see so many claiming to be Christian as so unkind, our just elected President is the perfect example. If all Christians truly tried to honor Christ's teachings then the town in this novel, Lake Emily, and its people would feel more realistic.
Chandler
Jun 01, 2009 rated it really liked it
What a sweet story. Big city girl moves to small town farm country and has to learn to fit in. I loved it. Good clean story with references to God and faith. I love country life and would love to have grown up on a farm and learned all the things that they know about canning, gardening that sort of thing, so this book touched me there. Very sweet characters and I liked the way the author introduced them and the way things happened in their lives who shaped who they are today.
Lauren
Aug 18, 2014 rated it did not like it
DNF. I usually enjoy the christian-lite/Mitford style books, but I was not in the right mood for this book. Peter complains that his MIL (who they are living with due to his unemployment) wants him to settle on a job. Then she is described as not a "natural beauty" like his wife and styled/manicured.

Apparently, the only thing worse than an ugly bitch is one who tries.

Carmen
Mar 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular-fiction
Fun, enjoyable read set in a farming town near St. Paul Minnesota. Full of drama, characters, warmth, it is hard to put down. My grandparents were farmers, and this book goes long to prove that farming takes all kinds of people. Throughly enjoyed it, a good read, made me feel good. Premise is a couple take over the family farm when the grandfather dies. This story chronicles their first year on the farm.
Kris
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who wants to read a sappy feel food story with little depth
This story is about a couple who leave life in the city (St Paul, MN) and move to a family farm in western MN. They incounter obstacles & hardships that many farmers face. The author also weaves in stories from the past of many of the other people living in the small farmning community. I feel like the author could have spent more time fleshing out the characters and how they worked through trials. Issues were glazed over & solutions seemed to end with a random "let's pray".
Heidi
Apr 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Hmmm...this book was a lot of fun. I loved the author's ability to weave the past and present together so that the reader gets a better understanding of the lives of everyone in the book. I loved the characters, the setting, and the faith and hope that underscore the entire storyline.

I would have liked, however, more information and closure with regard to several of the storylines; especially with regard to Mae's sister, Trudy.
Natalie Moon
Aug 13, 2008 rated it liked it
My grandmother read this at her book club in Asheville, NC and gave it to me when she was done with it. Then I invited my friends who are also in a book club to read it. It was a quaint little story of a city boy who moves to the country to take over the family farm. I was pregnant at the time with David and the man and his wife were expecting their first child. This is the first of a trilogy.
Shirley
Jul 12, 2015 rated it really liked it

I really enjoyed this one. I loved all the little backstories on characters in the town. Probably a little more than the main storyline. Some were happy, some sad, but all still wove together to a hopeful tale that focused on God and community. This kind of life is how I grew up and how things still are where I come from.
Brandi (Rambles of a SAHM)
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! It was a nice relaxing read. It is a lot like Mitford, only younger and set in a farming community. I enjoyed the way the author continued to weave background information in. It gives the reader a deeper appreciation for the characters. I can’t remember who originally recommended this, but don’t ever be afraid to recommend something again. This was a winner!
Jennifer Dawbin
Mar 21, 2013 rated it liked it
I liked the book enough to want to read the second in the series. Interestingly, I found the smaller stories of folks to be more engaging the main story line. It's those folks that I want to know more about in the books to come.
Trinna
Jun 03, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-reads, fiction
Cute story. 3.5 stars. Simple and sweet telling the story of a young married couple trying to make a go of farming and small town living. Has so cute relationships. Similar to a Jan Karon type book.
Amy would like this book too!
Jessica
Apr 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
I picked up this book from our library's "Gentle Novels" collection and that just about sums it up. It is a nice story about a young married couple that decides to take on a farm. Reading the novel wasn't particularly life changing, but while reading the novel I wanted to move to the country!
Brandy
Sep 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was pretty good. It's a Christian type book which was ok. It wasn't overkill but I did skip when it was too much. The story was interesting though - it was about a city couple that moved and took over a farm. It was very real life and had happiness and sadness in it.
Julie Akeman
Dec 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
OH god I wanna cry but I finished this book at work so I just have to soldier on I guess. Ah, so sad, not spoiling anything, but after that I am def gonna read the second book again since it's been awhile.
Nancy
Jan 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Moms everywhere
Recommended to Nancy by: Stephanie Shepherd
I absolutely loved this book! The story line about a young newly married couple taking over the family farm is just charming. I like the way the author introduces the characters in flashback vignettes. It has a suprise ending. I cried during this one!
Denise
May 04, 2015 rated it really liked it
Actually deserves 4.5*! What an enjoyable read! I felt relaxed when reading the delightful descriptions of the nature in and around the farm, yet the story was full of the good an bad parts of life. I canny wait to read the next Lake Emily book.
  • A Miracle for St. Cecilia's
  • Dearest Dorothy, Are We There Yet? (Dearest Dorothy, #1)
  • The Ladies of Covington Send Their Love (Ladies of Covington, #1)
  • The Lumby Lines (Lumby Series Book 1)
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony, #1)
  • Friendship Cake (Hope Springs #1)
  • Tuesday Night at the Blue Moon
  • Hearts at Home (Heavenly Daze, #5)
  • Sweet Sanctuary
  • Village School (Fairacre, #1)
  • Suncatchers (Derby #1)
  • Family Patterns (Patchwork, #1)
Traci DePree is the author of nine books. She loves creating new worlds where readers can escape the demands of everyday life and discover a deeper place of faith where true hope resides. She makes her home in a rural town in Minnesota where she fills her days with books, volunteering, gathering with friends and loved ones, playing a little tennis, riding dirt bike, as well as sewing and knitting! ...more
More about Traci Depree...

Lake Emily (3 books)
  • Dandelions in a Jelly Jar
  • Aprons on a Clothesline (The Lake Emily Series #3)