Start by marking “Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn, #1)” as Want to Read:
Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn, #1)

Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror (Falcon Quinn #1)

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  524 Ratings  ·  76 Reviews

Thirteen-year-old Falcon Quinn and his neighbors, Max and Megan, board bus number 13 for school on an ordinary day in Cold River, Maine. Only the bus doesn't take its ordinary route, and Falcon and his friends soon find themselves in an extraordinary place—on Shadow Island, at the Academy for Monsters.

With a student body stranger than the cast of any monster movie Falc

Published May 11th 2010 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published July 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror

Cali Pesina
Oct 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
"Falcon is an angel... and he has chosen neither of us. Or, rather, that he has chosen both of us."
This quote is one of many interesting thoughts in the book Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror, a fantasy about a boy finding out who he is. This book is the first in a series that I love and highly respect.

Falcon Quinn is a boy that finds himself at a school that is purely made for monsters. As the story goes along, Falcon notices that the school isn't that much different from his normal life; he s
Adam Bolander
Mar 27, 2013 rated it did not like it
If there’s one type of story that’s popular right now, it’s the one where special children go somewhere special to learn how to do special things. Two of the biggest franchises in the world share this common theme. Harry Potter sends children to a magical school to become witches and wizards. Percy Jackson sends demigod children to a special summer camp to learn how to control their powers. And now Jennifer Finley Boylan attempts to capitalize on this popular subject with Falcon Quinn and the Bl ...more
Anne Freya
Nov 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novel
Pengarang bernama Jennifer Finney Boylan ini dulunya adalah seorang pria bernama James Richard Boylan. So, apa yg dirasakan Falcon Quinn --yg terjebak dalam tubuh separuh monster dan separuh manusia-- kurang lebih menjelaskan hal-hal yg (mnrtku) pernah dialami pengarang.

Falcon selalu merasa dirinya tidak cocok berada di manapun, setiap org punya kelompok sendiri, punya teman dgn minat dan hobi yg sama. Bahkan di kalangan monster pun ia tdk memiliki tempat sama sekali krn ia tdk tahu ia termasuk
Samrat
Really?! Average rating in the high threes? Did it really get better in the second half? Book club declared this one a disaster. We wanted to like it, but it was just so badly cliched, weirdly bigoted, awkward, slow paced... I think I'm going to try to finish it before I bring it back to the library, but I'm feeling kind of masochistic about it.
Chase
Mar 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all teens
Recommended to Chase by: St. Helens Book Shop
Shelves: arc-s
Falcon Quinn and the Black Mirror
By: Jennifer Finney Boylan

A Book Report By: Chase Pixley

Falcon Quinn always knew that he was different than other kids. Falcon’s father fell through the ice on Carrabec Pond while his mother didn’t want him. He seemed to belong nowhere at his middle school in Cold River, Maine and had two different colored eyes - one blue and one black.
It is the first day of spring during Falcon’s 7th grade year. After a close call on Carrabec Pond his normal morning bus, numb
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I wrote this book (with my middle school aged boys).
Chris
Dec 27, 2011 rated it liked it
Everyone needs a label, a category in which to fit. If you don't claim one for yourself, others will assign you one. Emos, goths, athletes, geeks, monsters, guardians . . . everyone has to fit in somewhere.

Right?

( . . . monsters?)

Falcon Quinn doesn't, though. He's never been part of any group, never been put into a category or stuck with a label. He doesn't fit; he's a misfit. And life is lonely when you're always an outsider. So when Falcon, with two classmates, gets whisked away by a magical s
Josh Newhouse
Jun 04, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'd give it 4.5 stars if I could. Can a book be 100% original but also extremely derivative? This title shares a lot of similarities with the first Harry Potter book, not the least if which was the use of a mirror as a main plot conceit...

However, for some reason despite all of that I found myself flying through the book with its quaint cast of monsters... I think the only reason I did not give it 5 stars for poor entertainment was that I felt some of the dialogue was annoying and repetitive par
Abi
Fun, fun, fun, fun book! :) Silly, inventive fantasy novel where some ordinary kids find out they are monsters when they arrive at a monster academy. Great characters and friendships, and a good message about being true to yourself.

Definitely recommended for readers who like fantasy and mild/silly humor - very middle grade friendly.
Also, if you're a parent who wants a book that is fun and funny but has a good moral about being true to yourself, this is good for you. Jennifer Finney Boylan wrot
Dwi Setianto
Jun 27, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Waw, seru dan menyenangkan! Banyak humornya juga, cocok banget buat hiburan :D

Pernah denger kalo orang tenggelam di sungai, trus rohnya diambil setan? Apa benar mereka pergi ke alam jin dan jadi budak? Jangan-jangan mereka malah pergi ke Akademi Monster?
*abaikan saja lah XD
Shannon
Jan 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
My 13-year-old son devoured this book and spent all day today reading the second. :) Definitely a hit for those in the magic/fantasy crowd.

Update: he just read it AGAIN in two days. :)
Rachael
This book was one that was hard for me to put down with interesting twists and turns, but some that were a little odd and questionable to me. Overall I did enjoy it. the characters were diverse and engaging. I don't recommend buying this book without buying the sequel, you'll want it one you finish the first.
Scarlett
Aug 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
So much fun!!!
That book had the biggest twist I've ever read (so cool) and the book was full of surprises on every chapter.
Loved it
Aelvana
Dec 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
Falcon, Max, and Megan are standing in line for the bus on a morning much like any other morning. Only this time the bus doesn't take them to school. At least, not the school they wanted. At the Academy for Monsters, the students will learn things more suited to the monstrous natures they've inherited. Things like how to blend in with humans. Which isn't a goal all monsters share...

On the level of a school story, with the wacky characters, interesting monsters, and various mishaps, I enjoyed thi
Kristen
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
First Impression:
I'm not quite sure where I found out about this series, but I remember it being reviewed as the "next Harry Potter", something that struck me because I had had several students last year ask me what to read that was like Harry Potter. So I had to give this first book a try to see what it was all about.

While Reading:
To be honest, it was quite how Harry Potter started, well sort of. Three students get whisked away on a magical bus to a magical school. Ah, but this is a school for
Ira Book Lover
Hmmmm, saya kurang sreg dengan cerita Falcon ini. Semuanya serba nanggung menurut saya. Tapi kakak saya bilang ceritanya lumayan seru. Dia bahkan berhasil menamatkan cerita ini dalam semalam. Sedangkan saya …. eh …. butuh waktu hampir seminggu, hahhah.

Karena ceritanya Falcon ini bersekolah di Akademi Monster, maka kita akan bertemu dengan berbagai macam monster di sini. Mau ketemu Frankenstein ada. Zombie ada. Vampir ada. Naga ada. Monster cumi ada. Serigala jadi-jadian ada. Beruang jadi-jadian
Vconner
Oct 13, 2014 rated it liked it
Ok, I actually "audiobooked" this one with my 2 sons (ages 6 and 12) who absolutely loved the characters. I think if I tried reading it I may have abandoned ship early on. The audiobook version was done well. I must admit that there were some parts I stopped early while the kids were listening and told them we would resume the next time we were in the car. I did this due to the dark direction it appeared to be taking. I would then listen ahead while the boys were not with me and give them a less ...more
Dana
Jun 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Ok, at first, I saw that this book is in the same genre as Harry Potter, The Last Olympian and several others - kids who are "different" go to a school for kids who are similarly "different" - in this case, a school for kids who are monsters and I thought it would just be another copy cat book. But, it is a really good book! The kids don't know they are monsters until they get to the school, and Falcon, the main character, does not find out what kind of monster he is until near the end of the bo ...more
Camille Stanford
When Falcon Quinn get taken by a school bus to attend a school for monsters, he feels like he doesn't belong anywhere just like at regular school, and his lack of monstrousness makes it difficult to get along with the others. But when the school tries to suppress their monster selves, even throwing disobedient students into the dungeons, Falcon and his friends escape, only to get into more trouble.
I found this book interesting, and enjoyed all the different types of monsters in the school. Falco
Angel
Nov 12, 2015 rated it it was ok
As far as exposition goes, this was a bit abrupt. I would've liked to see Falcon at his normal middle school for a few chapters so we could better understand his feeling of not belonging, instead of blatantly stating it in the first few pages and then carting him off to the otherworldly school on an island in the Bermuda Triangle. I find a similar issue with the other main characters. If there were a few flashbacks of their (for lack of a better word) human lives, maybe their characters would be ...more
Rachel
Jan 09, 2012 rated it liked it
Falcon is a odd one. He's never felt like he's fit in anywhere. On the first day of spring, he discovers why that is: he's not human. He and a couple of classmates are picked up and delivered to a school for monsters, only to find that he doesn't really fit in there, either.

The storytelling is a bit heavy-handed, as is the theme of not letting others choose your identity for you, and the monsters are a really obvious metaphor. Then again, some anvils need to be dropped.

A decent, fast-paced read
Terry
The story has life lessons and humor that will resonate with teens and their parents. The cast of characters and their personalities transcend the school they attend. I liked the author's attempt to demonstrate the importance of being true to who you are, but overall the story fell flat for me.

Pros: Every reader will find himself / herself (or their friends!) at the Academy of Monsters. Humor, suspense, and the ever-present "what next" will keep readers turning the page well past lights out.

Read
Douglas Cootey
Good book. Fanciful monster academy premise. A bit reminiscent of Harry Potter, likely due to school setting. I found the story interesting, but the dialogue often annoying when the secondary characters took over the conversation. Their characters were simply too two dimensional to be given so much prominence. There was a moralistic undertone to the story as well that was often too overt for my tastes. However, I loved the ending. The story twisted, then tied up well. Lastly, I especially enjoye ...more
Sharon
Mar 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Try the word "CRAZY". Seriously. My nephew spoiled the ending for me (as in, spoiled EVERYTHING), but I still absolutely enjoyed it. The wacko characters were definitely my favorite part, especially Sparkbolt ("cake--BAD, alfalfa--BAD, poem--NEEDS DEAD")and Johnny ("it's just this thing I can do"). Falcon was a good choice as a main character, because he was more sane that anyone else, except maybe Megan. There was a pretty good plotline too, albeit predictable. Nice light mood, new ideas. Love ...more
Kezia Olive
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
The story here started darkly. I mean.. I thought the story would be lighter and stuffs since the first page, but I was wrong. It started heavily, but starts to be lighter thanks to the crazily amazing characters.
The twist at the end of the story successfully surprise me. But I think I should've read this book when I was younger, cause in my age, it feels silly when I read the climax. Doesn't feel like climax at all.
But it's a great book, great story. :) I feel happy that I read it. no regrets
Sulin
Mar 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: america
Some people tried to compare this book with JK Rowling's. They way I see it, do the same thing as them just like compare baseball with tennis. They're same physicaly but different in many ways. The rule, goals, character...
I like this book, great, and interesting.
While Potter want to kill noseless man, Falcon's mission is make peace for monster and guard world. Two side of character in this book. :)
Nice, aaaand addicted.
Tina Burr
Apr 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This book started off with so much potential, thou the longer I read it lost its originality. I actually thought it was fairly humorous but some character development was lacking. I felt the dialogue was annoying, badly cliched, and slow-paced. Often I found myself downright confused with lots of questions, and a lot of the plot seemed out of the ordinary. It shared a lot of similarities to the first “Harry Potter” book.
Betsy Pauzauskie
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it
This book was on my nine-year-old grandson's desk shelf and I borroweed it to read. I found the book to be a slow read for many of the 486 pages. However, the action came together and kept me engrossed around page 400. (I later learned that my grandson started reading this book; but, that it couldn't maintain his interest long enough for him to want to read much. I had the same inital reaction as my grandson; but, forced myself to continue out of hope and curiosity.)
Cynthia
Jan 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
What a wonderful, wonderful book, on all levels. I was of course very excited to find that Jennifer Finney Boylan is a MAINE author, as I live in Maine, but the book was a pure pleasure to read all around. The characters are great and you learn a lot about them and really care about them. The plot is really exciting and filled with mystery and intrigue until nearly the last few pages. Don't miss this "goodread!"
Mary
Mar 08, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 I read this to check out some fiction from Jennifer Finney Boylan. It is a cute story to add to those that use fantasy and monsters to tell a tale of finding your own identity and staying true to yourself. Lots of fun for those that enjoyed Halloweentown, Hotel Transylvania, Monsters Inc, etc as I do.
  • The Key (The Magnificent 12, #3)
  • Ghostsitters (Araminta Spookie, #5)
  • RuneWarriors (RuneWarriors, #1)
  • The Voyage of Lucy P. Simmons
  • The Outlandish Adventures of Liberty Aimes
  • Time's Daughter
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Elliot and the Goblin War (Underworld Chronicles #1)
  • The Little Secret
  • Archvillain (Archvillain, #1)
  • The Traitor King
  • The Hero Revealed (The Extraordinary Adventures of Ordinary Boy, #1)
  • The Forgotten Secret (Grim Hill, #3)
  • Potterwookiee (The Creature from My Closet, #2)
  • Unlucky Charms
  • The Witch's Buttons
  • The Invisible Tower (Otherworld Chronicles, #1)
  • Key Holder of the Realms (Tales of the Whosawhachits, #1)
Jennifer Finney Boylan is a widely praised author and professor.

Edward Albee summed up her oeuvre in 1988: -- "Boylan observes carefully, and with love. [Her] levitating wit is wisely tethered to a humane concern…. I often broke into laughter, and was now and again, struck with wonder."

Jenny's memoir, She's Not There, published by Broadway Books in 2003, was one of the first bestselling works by a
More about Jennifer Finney Boylan...

Falcon Quinn (2 books)
  • Falcon Quinn and the Crimson Vapor (Falcon Quinn, #2)

“Maybe . . . it's easier to have enemies than not to have them. . . . If you don't hate people, you have to learn to like them. . . . And liking people? That's not easy.” 8 likes
“Monster a person though monster not human.
Monster like music. Like Beatles! Like Schumann!
World full of stupid. World full of noise.
Monster feel ANGRY. No birthday. No joys.
World full of JUNK monster not comprehend.
What is a childhood? What is a friend?
Monster and human both want the same.
Want conversation. Want love. WANT NO PAIN.
If monster speak heart: monster life only worsen.
Monster not human: BUT MONSTER A PERSON!”
2 likes