Start by marking “Move to Strike” as Want to Read:
Move to Strike

Move to Strike (Nina Reilly #6)

3.97  ·  Rating details ·  2,424 Ratings  ·  67 Reviews
MOVE TO STRIKE
New York Times bestselling author Perri O'Shaughnessy takes the courtroom thriller to breathtaking new heights in Move to Strike, a page-turning masterpiece of suspense. Featuring Nina Reilly, hailed by critics as "one of the most interesting heroines in legal thrillers today," * Move to Strike is a spellbinding tale of stolen treasure and twisted revenge set
Published December 18th 2007 by Dell (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Move to Strike, please sign up.

Ralph Nicole Andalis I have read 3 out of her 11 or 12 books now. Perri O'Shaughnessy is the female John Grisham counterpart for me, but make it a series of novels that…moreI have read 3 out of her 11 or 12 books now. Perri O'Shaughnessy is the female John Grisham counterpart for me, but make it a series of novels that the storyline of one novel connects to another. Each novel is different, mostly Nina Reilly would be caught in a huge lawsuit in her clients in every other way. Most of the plots are gripping and have great twists. I started with Motion to Suppress where I loved it, then followed it with Invasion of Privacy which is also good. Last I've read was Obstruction of Justice. I am still finding time to read from 4th book to the latest. If you could read it from the 1st novel it would be great, but you can also start anywhere if you cannot find the first one. (less)

Bodosika Bodosika
Sep 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal-thrillers
Starting Words: MOIST NIGHT WIND swept the skin on her arms and flicked sharp points of hair into her eyes.

Ending Words: as mysterious and radiant as opals.

MOVE TO STRIKE is a wonderful story told by a wonderful storyteller with a lot of marvelous plot and more than enough suspense and likeable characters that will keep the reader guessing till the End.A legal thriller that is unputdownable...Perri O'Shaughnessy is yet to disappoint me....straight 4stars for this.
Msjodi777
Feb 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent book by Perri O'Shaughnessy. While I do not always like courtroom books, the Nina Reilly books are an exception. There is enough outside the courtroom stuff to keep things interesting, and the courtroom antics are written so that anyone can understand them. All in all, an excellent tale. <><
Kathleen Hagen
Move to Strike, by Perri O’Shaughnessy. B-plus Produced by Brilliance Audio and purchased through their outlet, Audio Bookstand. This is a Nina Reilly mystery. In this one Nina’s son, Bob, begs her to help a friend of his who is under arrest for a murder he swears she couldn’t have committed. Nina becomes involved in defending this 16-year-old girl. There are twists and turns and red herrings in abundance. Nina’s client has secrets she doesn’t want to reveal even when it looks as if she’s going ...more
Lynn
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like Perri O'Shaughnessy books. This series is generally good. I enjoyed this book. I only wish her husband had not died in the last book. Since he was a prosecuting attorney, it could have been a good story line for a few more books especially when you add in her investigator and on again off again love interest.
Steve
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Move to Strike was a great read. Lots of characters, good scene descriptions and compelling story line that kept me engaged. The O'Shaughnessy sisters employ an excellent vocabulary, too. This is an action-packed read and the authors don't telegraph the ending/resolution. I really enjoyed this one.
Lois Bouchard
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book very much, but I really felt it was detrimental not to have read the first 5 books in the series. I didn't have Nina's back story so I was sometimes confused by references to past husbands and boyfriends.

The story was engaging but pretty complicated. The wrap-up in the end was amazing. I think I should read the series starting from the first book.
Julie
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read, but some parts seemed to carry on too long.
Judy Alexander
Jul 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great
Sandi
Mar 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading this book. This was my first experience reading a Perri O'Shaughnessy novel. I'll probably look for others in this series.
Ed
Feb 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Nina Reilly series.

Lake Tahoe lawyer Nina Reilly series - Single mother Reilly's 13-year-old son, Bob, steers her toward a new case, begging her to defend his friend, 16-year-old Nikki Zack. Nikki is accused of killing her rich uncle, plastic surgeon Bill Sykes, with a 16th-century samurai sword. She says she didn't do it, but the evidence suggests otherwise. Nikki was on the scene at the time of the killing and was known to hold a grudge against her selfish and stingy uncle. Even Reil
Phillis
Apr 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book because I got it from Barns and Noble for my nookColor on one of the Free Book Friday downloads. I thought the synopsis was interesting enough to read the book. The storyline was a good one, kept me guessing for most of the book. The writing I found a bit amateurish. This is a 6th in the Nina Reilly series. From what I gather you don’t need to read other books in that series to know what’s going on. The premise of the book is a teenage girl, Nikki, witnesses the killing of her U ...more
Alton Motobu
Jul 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read the series in order, and this is the best one so far. It's a mix of murder mystery, treasure hunting, and horror set in and around Lake Tahoe. Along with the main group of characters - Nina, Paul, Bob, Sandy and Wish - there is a cast of shady suspects, some likeable, many unlikeable, who are richly drawn and interesting. As with the previous books in the series nothing is as it first seems. There are plot twists, red herrings, and many trips to places like LA, Carmel, and the Nevada m ...more
E
One of the things that I like about this series (in addition to interesting plots and characters and settings) is that the characters seem to remember their histories. While you could read the books out of order, I appreciate that the stories build (at least for character development) on what has come before as opposed to some series where the characters seem to have amnesia about having been blown up, chased by killers, or killed someone themselves. And presenting Paul as having inner demons in ...more
Melinda
Mar 12, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Melinda by: newleaph@gmail.com
Move to Strike by Perri O'Shaughnessy-I always forget why I like these books in between them. I love the twists at the end-, and they all seem to have a twist. They are the typical courtroom/ legal mysteries. This one has to do with the main character, Nina Reilly's, son Bob and his friend Nikki, who is accused of murdering her uncle. Lots of twists and turns of plot. As always, Nina has to defend someone for free because of some friend/family connection. How does this woman survive? But the sto ...more
Jeanne
Sep 23, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-reads
I am reading the Nina Reilly books in order. This was a pretty good one. Teenager, Nikki Zack is charged with the murder of her Uncle. Quite coincidentally, Chris Sykes, Nikki's cousin and son of the murdered man dies at exactly the same time in a small plane crash. Nina's investigator and sometimes lover,Paul van Wagoner now carrying a guilty secret, is back on the scene. Valuable opals appear. Nina faces jail. The plot thickens...
Mar 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is one case Nina has never seen. This time, a sixteen year old is charged with murdering her plastic surgeon uncle. But Nikki is no average sixteen year old. She's had a few brushed with the law before, and now their charging her with and adult sentence. What makes it more critical is that Nikki is Bob's best friend. With her missing father, and her pole-dancing-can't-get-a-job mom, Nikki may just be out of luck. A suspenseful read.
Massanutten Regional Library
Natalie, Village patron, June 2016, 4 stars:

I was taking Criminal Justice classes but had to terminate my studies due to family issues. This book co-authored by sisters-one being an attorney-helped to stimulate my inquisitive nature in the Criminal Justice system. I did not like the sexual innuendos and profanity.
J. Ewbank
This book by O'shaughnessy is a very good read and is one of the Nina Reilly series, which has been a very strong series. The characters are believable and you get to like them and want the best for them and the plot is interesting and grabbing.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Tabitha
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read any of the other books in the series, but that didn't seem to matter. It was good as a stand alone book. Courtroom mystery type of book, but investigating what really happened out of the courtroom. I've read books with better writing, but I liked that it didn't dwell on romance between characters and it kept me guessing until the end.
Ellen
Aug 17, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Co-written by two sisters, one a lawyer, the other a journalist, Move to Strike is a fascinating escape from your day-to-day pressures. Part of a series, it stars Nina Reilly as the defender of a 16-year-old-girl charged with killing her uncle.
Joyce
Jan 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Those who enjoy legal thrillers
Recommended to Joyce by: Browsing through the library
I just reread this and liked it much more than I did at the original reading. The suspense built up nicely and led to a fascinating climax in a great location. The sub-plot with Paul's secret and Nina's learning of it was frosting on the cake.
Melissa
Dec 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-read-2008
Book #56 read in 2008

I really liked this book from the series. It was better than the last one. I like that Nina and Paul have a complicated relationship - it makes it more real. I am looking forward to reading more in the series.
Karen
Feb 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy the protagonist, lawyer and single mom Nina Reilly. The twists and turns in the plot are surprising, but not ridiculous. And the author continues to develop the personal life of Ms. Reilly, her son Bob and her sometimes "boyfriend", detective Paul Van Wagoner.
Pam
May 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A long read, but thoroughly enjoyable. Character development continues at a steady pace. If you're thinking about reading this book, you really need to read all the previous books in the series... you'll miss (or won't "get") too much without having done so.
Ann
Oct 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This author never disappoints. The plots are interesting. The pacing is perfect. There's just enough personal life to make the main character interesting. A go-to book when you need a quick, intelligent read.
Mary
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This Nina and Paul novel was more fast paced and kept my interest more than the first one. Nina gets a case of a young girl who is a friend of her sons accused of murdering her Uncle. Lots of interesting twists and turns and an outcome I wasn't expecting.
Steve Clark
May 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries, thrillers
Pretty good read. Nice variety of characters. The setting in and around Lake Tahoe is interesting. I need to go there some day.

I've been reading this series not quite in order. Unfortunately, I think this book has given away the ending of the previous book, which I haven't read yet.
Marianne
Jul 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Perri O"Shaughnessy does a great job building the character of Nora Reilly. I have read every book in this series, and you get very attached to the characters and story lines. I can't wait for the next one to come out.
Charmaine
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First O'Shaughnessy I have read and I like this author. The first chapter had me hooked. No answer until the last chapter. Did not see the ending coming out the way it did. This is the kind of story I like. Fast read because I want to get the answers.
Oct 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended this series saying she can't put down one of these books. I found it to be true. Well written with a lot of twists and turns that I never saw coming. Not gruesome mysteries, just interesting ones in life. Set in beautiful Tahoe, CA
  • Suspicion of Guilt (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #2)
  • The Attorney (Paul Madriani, #5)
  • The Vendetta Defense (Rosato & Associates, #6)
  • Cold Hit (Alexandra Cooper, #3)
  • Reckless Endangerment (Butch Karp, #10)
  • The Prosecution
  • The Disappearance (Luke Garrison, #1)
  • The First Victim (Boldt/Matthews, #6)
  • Protect and Defend (Kerry Kilcannon, #2)
  • The Second Chair (Dismas Hardy #10)
  • Life Sentence
  • The Father's Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #11)
  • Desert Shadows (A Lena Jones Mystery #3)
Perri O’Shaughnessy is the pen-name for two people, Pamela and Mary O’Shaughnessy, sisters. The authors' pseudonym is an homage to Perry Mason, the man who never met a guilty client, and a melding of their two first names, Pamela and Mary. O’Shaughnessy is their paternal family name.

They are the authors of eleven bestselling Nina Reilly novels as well as a collection of short crime fiction, Sinist
More about Perri O'Shaughnessy...

Nina Reilly (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Motion to Suppress (Nina Reilly, #1)
  • Invasion of Privacy (Nina Reilly #2)
  • Obstruction of Justice (Nina Reilly, #3)
  • Breach of Promise (Nina Reilly #4)
  • Acts of Malice (Nina Reilly #5)
  • Writ of Execution (Nina Reilly #7)
  • Unfit to Practice (Nina Reilly #8)
  • Presumption of Death (Nina Reilly, #9)
  • Unlucky in Law (Nina Reilly #10)
  • Case of Lies (Nina Reilly #11)