Start by marking “A Sharpness on the Neck (Dracula Series, #9)” as Want to Read:
A Sharpness on the Neck (Dracula Series, #9)

A Sharpness on the Neck

(Dracula #9)

In 1792, Philip Radcliffe, the bastard son of Benjamin Franklin, comes to France to deliver a letter to Thomas Paine--only to get caught up in a conflict far more horrifying than the Revolution. By foiling a powerful vampire's attempt at fratricide, Radcliffe dooms himself and his descendants to suffer the vampire's eternal vengeance.

In present day, Philip and June Radclif
Published March 15th 1998 by Tor Books (first published 1996)

To ask other readers questions about A Sharpness on the Neck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sharpness on the Neck

Neil
I did not finish this book. I ended up stopping around page 63, as I was still having a hard time 'getting in to' the book and struggling to want to continue to read it. I was not sure what to expect; it sounded like it might have an interesting premise, but it got pretty "stupid" for me, pretty quick. I finally had to stop reading it.

For me, I think the most stupid part of what I read was that "Radu" (Vlad's younger brother) kept trying to kill Vlad in prior lives (incarnations? apparently he a
Kim
Nov 07, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010booksread
I've read all of Mr. Saberhagen's Dracula series and only recently discovered I'd missed this last one when it was released. So I was fairly excited to get a new one. I've always found these books entertaining, if light, reading. But I was disappointed with this one. The plot was decent, I suppose, dealing with the Terror after the French Revolution and the struggle between Vlad Dracula and his brother Radu. But the writing was really poor. I just reread the first in the series, The Dracula Tape ...more
Tom
Mar 20, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An OK Dracula read. Saberhagen's Dracula is the classic interpretation (wooden stakes, mirrors, mist and bats), but he's not really a monster... or at least, he is a monster with a very high moral code. In this book, he's having a centuries long spat with his little brother (also a vampire). Dracula refuses to (permanently) put his brother to death, but his younger brother has no such qualms.

The book kept switching from 1st person to 3rd person perspective, switching timelines from "now" back to
Keith
Sep 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, fantasy, horror
"A Sharpness On The Neck" by Fred Saberhagen, is the 9th book in his 'Dracula Series' I have read over the years. This book and this series has been an entertaining set of novels to read. The writing quality varies in each of the novels. Fred Saberhagen has done a credible job in giving the 'Dracula' story a twist in his retellings.
Bert Edens
Apr 06, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: vampire-fiction
Read several books in this series when my older son (who was born in 1993) was in NICU immediately after birth. I read the books out loud to him, and it was fun hearing the nurses tell each other at shift change what had happened in the story :)

Anyway, I've read all the books in the series and want to go back and re-read them.
Jenilyn
Dec 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This was an amazing, well written book. I recommend this book for those who like vampires minus all of the drama that is found in modern vampire books(such as Twilight).
Joene
Feb 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: paranormal
The Dracula series continues on with this enjoyable story.
colleen
Nov 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vampires, fantasy, scpl
read 05.31.06
good series
Dale Rosso
Nov 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Loved it, another great addition to the Dracula series.
Leigh Anne Ricks
Jason
Jul 08, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Quincey Morris, Vampire
  • The Phoenix Illusion (SPI Files #6)
  • Beyond the Grave (Jess Vandermire, #2)
  • The Blood Books, Volume III (Omnibus: Blood Debt / Blood Bank)
  • Cat Fight (Jane Yellowrock, #9.1)
  • The Black Castle (Don Sebastian Vampire Chronicles #1)
  • Blood Secrets
  • Forged in Fire (Sarah Beauhall #3)
  • Red Planet Run (Star Svensdotter #3)
  • Heroes
  • Hidden Trump (Bite Back, #2)
  • Keeper of the King (Ethical Vampires #1)
  • In the Blood (Sonja Blue, #2)
Fred Saberhagen was an American science fiction and fantasy author most famous for his ''Beserker'' and Dracula stories.

Saberhagen also wrote a series of a series of post-apocalyptic mytho-magical novels beginning with his popular ''Empire of the East'' and continuing through a long series of ''Swords'' and ''Lost Swords'' novels. Saberhagen died of cancer, in Albuquerque, New Mexico

Saberhagen was

Dracula (10 books)
  • The Dracula Tape (Dracula Series, #1)
  • The Holmes-Dracula File (Dracula Series, #2)
  • An Old Friend of the Family (Dracula Series, #3)
  • Thorn (Dracula Series, #4)
  • Dominion (Dracula Series, #5)
  • A Matter of Taste (Dracula Series, #6)
  • A Question of Time (Dracula Series, #7)
  • Seance for a Vampire (Dracula Series, #8)
  • A Coldness in the Blood (Dracula Series, #10)