Start by marking “Dracula” as Want to Read:

Read Book* *Different edition

Dracula

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  1,132,696 ratings  ·  37,066 reviews
Introduction and Notes by Brooke Allen

The most famous of seductive evil in Western Literature, blood-thirsty Count Dracula has inspired countless movies, books, and plays. But, few, if any, have been fully to Bram Stoker's best-selling novel of mystery and horror, love and death, sin and redemption.

Written in the form of letters and diary entries, Dracula chronicles the va
Paperback, Barnes & Noble Classics, 417 pages
Published May 14th 2004 by Barnes & Noble (first published May 26th 1897)

To ask other readers questions about Dracula, please sign up.
Bogdan Valentin Haha, yes! 400 pages book, ends in one paragraph. It was like the author was being pushed by someone.. "Finish already, we have to go fishing!! Everyo…moreHaha, yes! 400 pages book, ends in one paragraph. It was like the author was being pushed by someone.. "Finish already, we have to go fishing!! Everyone is waiting for you! Damn it, Bram, the sun will rise any minute and we're not on the lake by then.." Oh, wait.. (less)

·  1,132,696 ratings  ·  37,066 reviews

Start your review of Dracula
Elle (ellexamines)
I find Victorian horror so interesting as a microcosm of reaction to social norms of the time, to the buttoned-down and repressed social climate of the time, to the “new moral standards” of the church and the new questions brought up and hidden away by scientific thought. But under the fabric of late Victorian society lay wide ranges of change; the increased marriage rate and idea of the domestic sphere for women giving way to the New Woman, the upper class vs. lower class divide giving way to a ...more
Matthew
Two things about this book:

1. It is a really great and creepy story that deserves classic status
2. Everything is repeated soooooo much without any obvious benefit.

Here is actual footage of Bram Stoker writing this novel:

If Stoker had just got to the point, this book would have been much more exciting and suspenseful. I understand the exact same mysterious thing happens night after night. I understand that Dracula has some boxes of dirt. I get that you brought Winchester rifles along for protecti
Jonathan Terrington
Dracula: the very name instantly brings to mind visions of vampires, stakes, garlic, and crucifixes. Yet, when one bothers to read the novel, it becomes self-evident how twisted modern vampire fiction now is.

Vampires are not meant to inhabit the roles of heroes. Go back a few hundred years and men believed truly that the vampire was a real immortal, cursed to quench his undying thirst with a living mortal’s blood. The very idea of a blood drinker should, therefore, inspire the image of a villain
Kat
Feb 11, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
this was all i could think about whenever they talked about dracula's dirt boxes lol

Anne
description

Shockingly, not a whole hell of a lot of vampire stuff up in this bitch.
Mostly, it read like a dull travelogue with lots of emotions.
Bro love! Bro love everywhere!
All the men loved all the women (platonically or otherwise) to the point they were willing to give their lives for whichever lucky lady was Dracula's snack at the time.
It was quite the love fest.
Quite frankly, I'm not sure I'm buying that, Stoker.

And Dracula?
Not since Gary Olman's beehived old woman portrayal have I been less scared
megs_bookrack
Oct 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Dracula is a truly timeless MASTERPIECE.

Believe it or not, I am still unable to review this, one of my very favorite novels of all time.

I annotated my most recent time reading it, in the hopes that it would help when it came to composing my final thoughts.

Alas, what I am really struggling with is the idea of little ole' me 'reviewing' a masterpiece.

I guess my goal is more to compel people to pick up this amazing piece of world literature and give it a shot, as opposed to providing an analysis
S.A. Parham
Aug 13, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I was rather disappointed by this classic. It started out with promise, especially the Jonathan Harker bits. Then all the male characters descended into blubbering worshippers of the two female characters, and by the end of the novel, I was wishing Dracula could snack on all of them and be done with it. I kept having to put it aside and read chapters in between other books, but I managed to finish it at last.
Sean Barrs
Dracula is, of course, one of the most renowned horror stories, and the most well-known vampire novel. Bram Stoker set the ground rules for what a vampire should be, and set the benchmark for all other writers of the vampire afterwards. Indeed, if tyrannical villains are a necessity of Gothic fiction then Count Dracula is the father of all gothic villains, in spite of it being one of the last Gothic fiction novels to be written. It’s a work of genius that his presence is felt so strongly in the ...more
Caz (littlebookowl)
Managed to finish this :) Second time studying, but first successful read-through.
I enjoyed it more this time around, mainly because I actually read the last quarter or so of the book, which was the most enjoyable in my opinion.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Dracula (Dracula of Stoker Family #1), Bram Stoker

Dracula is an 1897 Gothic horror novel by Irish author Bram Stoker. It introduced Count Dracula, and established many conventions of subsequent vampire fantasy.

The novel tells the story of Dracula's attempt to move from Transylvania to England so that he may find new blood and spread the undead curse, and of the battle between Dracula and a small group of men and a woman led by Professor Abraham Van Helsing.

The story is told in epistolary forma
Mike (the Paladin)
I believe this may be the edition I read "first". This is an amazing book. I've read reviews by those who disagree and reviews by those who hated the format. But I was swept up in it the first time I read it as a teen and have been every time since.

My advice is don't worry about all the psychological baggage that has been tacked on over the years...and please don't confuse the movie "Bram Stoker's Dracula" with the actual plot, story, and characters in the book. It doesn't remotely resemble the
Martine
'Welcome to my house. Come freely. Go safely. And leave something of the happiness you bring!'

These are pretty much the first words spoken to Jonathan Harker, one of the heroes of Bram Stoker's Dracula, upon his arrival at Count Dracula's castle in Transylvania, just minutes after a nightmare journey through the landscape of gothic horror: darkness, howling wolves, flames erupting out of the blue, frightened horses. Within a few days of his arrival, Harker will find himself talking of the Count'
Julia Ash
A classic literary masterpiece!!!

Here's an example of Stoker's writing, from Jonathan Harker's journal shortly after he was taken prisoner by Count Dracula in his castle:

"I looked out over the beautiful expanse, bathed in soft yellow moonlight till it was almost as light as day. In the soft light the distant hills became melted, and the shadows in the valleys and gorges of velvety blackness."

and then...

"But my feelings turned to repulsion and terror when I saw the whole man slowly emerge from t
Matt
Oct 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
This is a classic monster tale I have enjoyed before, but could not wait to revisit as the season is rife with haunted ghouls and bloodthirsty readers!

Young solicitor Johnathan Harker finds himself travelling through the Hungarian countryside and into Romania, on his way to a castle in the heart of Transylvania. There, one Count Dracula awaits Harker and proves to be an odd, yet amenable, host. Seeking to finalise a land deal in England, Harker and Dracula talk long into the night, though the fo
Lisa of Troy
Oct 31, 2022 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Friend John, this should have been a short story!

Dracula is a spooky story which begins with Jonathan Harker, an attorney who travels to Transylvania to help his client, Count Dracula, purchase a home in London. However, Dracula is behaving strangely. Will Jonathan make it out alive?

Holy smokes! This book is B-O-R-I-N-G! No wonder there are so many Dracula books and movies because almost anyone else could have done it better!

The book itself has an interesting format—it is told through various ch
Luffy
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
Henk
Nov 14, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
The start was intriguing enough but around halfway, after one of the main characters died, it’s just the 19th century equivalent of conference call after conference call on how to destroy Dracula
How can woman help loving men when they are so earnest, and so true, and so brave! And, too, it made me think of the wonderful power of money!

Quite contrary to what I'd expected beforehand is that Dracula is not that creepy.
The book is almost soap like, in how the friends of Lucy are constantly frustrate
Justin Tate
Aug 05, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dracula seems to be one of those love-it or hate-it type books, but for me it is all love! The opening chapters alone provide some of the most gripping, suspense-inducing, edge-of-seat anxieties I've ever read, all leading up to a delightfully queer twist with a male character stepping in for the traditional Gothic heroine.

Jonathan Harker fulfills the damsel in distress role quite suitably, being locked away in a remote castle and forced to navigate the domineering personality of his captor. Dra
Tim
Over the years I've somewhat fallen out of reading classics, which is a damn shame as I typically enjoy the process of reading them even if I don't end up liking the book. In an effort to kick-start the process of reading them again on a more regular basis, I've decided to go with one I should have crossed off my list decades ago given my love of horror.

Dracula has been portrayed in so many different ways from all the different forms of media. He's been suave, sexy, violent, heroic, demonic… he'
Emily May
Lea
I want to finish the year with the review of one of my favorite books of the reading year, one that I thought heavily about after reading it.

Dracula is a widely known classic story, one that is engraved in our culture and one that inspired and still inspires numerous pieces of art. One can say that we are collectively attracted to Dracula, and vampires in general. What does make this story more appealing to the whole civilization, in the Victorian era, as well as in the present time?

Stoker wro
Henry Avila
Dec 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Children of the night what music they play" ; Jonathan Hawker hears those chilling, famous words from the inhuman appearing Count Dracula, in the remote Castle Dracula , Transylvania (Romania) . What started out as a simple real estate deal by an English solicitor and a foreign nobleman, becomes a blood sucking nightmare.
The shell shocked Jonathan is imprisoned by the creepy Count, a " person" you wouldn't want to see in a dark alley on a moonless midnight walk. Three strange , bizarre , but v
Colin Baldwin
Sep 15, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

I’m happy to explain why Dracula does not quite reach a 5-star high for me, but there are minor spoilers.

Surely, I’m not the only reader out there who wrongly assumed this Gothic fiction classic was written by a Transylvanian and that the plot takes place in Transylvania? It starts there, but the majority of scenes are set in Britain, and it was written by an Irishman, Abraham (Bram) Stoker.

Dracula has been on my ‘to read’ list for nearly a lifetime. Thinking back, the delays had quite
emma

Another case of me starting a review with no idea how to rate it. This book was…a ride.

I think my professor put it best when he said, “Dracula is either really good or really sh*tty.” Okay, yes, I’m paraphrasing, but only a little.

This book is quite a feat, either way. You can read essentially ANY THEME into this novel: good and evil, race, religion, gender, science, wealth, power, abstinence, war, colonization. More, probably, but it’s a Monday and I had
Luís
I did not expect this reading style when I read, but I found the story made through diaries or letters exchanged enjoyably.
The idea at that time must have been very innovative because even today, I find it significantly developed in its concept and ingenious! And the strong presence of the solid Catholic belief of the time makes the story very realistic!
Even though I found some lengthy passages, I enjoyed discovering this world-famous book!
Michael || TheNeverendingTBR
Now I understand why this is such an iconic and influential book, I thought it might be a difficult read due to the way it's written through journals and letters written by the main characters but it just flowed easily, it was very suspenseful and I was always curious to what was going to happen next.

Published in 1897 and it's still not dated, I think this is essential reading for horror fans of any generation.
Carmen
No man knows till he experiences it, what it is to feel his own life-blood drawn away into the veins of the woman he loves.

This seems to be my first time reading Dracula, and I LOVED IT. I say "seems" because I swear I've read it before. However, that would have been ages ago. Or a byproduct of seeing 10 million different Dracula interpretations before the age of 20. o.O So it was fresh and relatively new to me. I was surprised by the twists and turns. I thought I would be able to reasonably pre
J.G. Keely
Almost every author will fall into one of two camps: the active, and the reactive. The active author looks at the world around them and decides to write about what they see. They sit down and think: "I'm going to write a story, the subtext of which will provide my analysis of Victorian sexual mores". They then construct the story around this theme, creating characters to show different aspects and constructing a plot which moves from general observations to specific insights.

Then there are the r
 Danielle The Book Huntress
daria ❀
i expected it to be gayer tbh

• Frankenstein: The 1818 Text
  • Call of the Arcade (Horror's Call)
  • It
  • The Shining
  • Carrie
  • Call of the Cherokee (Horror's Call)
  • Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray
  • Interview with the Vampire (The Vampire Chronicles, #1)
  • Call of the Cradle (Horror's Call)
  • Wuthering Heights
  • Romeo and Juliet
  • The Exorcist
  • Pet Sematary
  • The Hobbit (The Lord of the Rings, #0)
  • 1984
  • Carmilla
  • Jane Eyre
See top shelves…
He was born Abraham Stoker in 1847 at 15 Marino Crescent – then as now called "The Crescent" – in Fairview, a coastal suburb of Dublin, Ireland. His parents were Abraham Stoker and the feminist Charlotte Mathilda Blake Thornely. Stoker was the third of seven children. Abraham and Charlotte were members of the Clontarf Church of Ireland parish and attended the parish church (St. John the Baptist lo ...more

Articles featuring this book

Connoisseurs of horror fiction can tell you: The genre is much more sophisticated and generous than its reputation might suggest. There...
“There are darknesses in life and there are lights, and you are one of the lights, the light of all lights.” 4014 likes
“We learn from failure, not from success!” 2567 likes