Start by marking “The Iron Giant” as Want to Read:
The Iron Giant

The Iron Giant

(The Iron Man #1)

An iron giant saves the world in this contemporary classic.

A mysterious creature stalks the land, eating barbed wire and devouring tractors and plows. The farmers are mystified—and terrified. And then they glimpse him in the night: the Iron Giant, taller than a house, with glowing headlight eyes and an insatiable taste for metal. The hungry giant must be stopped at any cos
Published July 20th 1999 by Yearling (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about The Iron Giant, please sign up.
Jim IMO, without spoiling anything, no it's not.
The Unicorn
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of The Iron Giant
Manny
You know what it's like. You've left your wife, she's killed herself, so you write a story to cheer up the kids. We've all been there.
Patrick
Dec 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When you write a review of a kid's book, there really should be a way to give it two different star ratings. One for you, and one for the kids you've read it to.

For me, this book might be a three star book. Four if I was feeling generous. I find it wordy and ponderous. Overwrought. The plot is pretty clunky and meh. I don't hate the book or anything, it's just doesn't do much for me.

But my boy loves it. He wants me to read it to him over and over again. And again.

I think this might be slightl
Spencer Orey
Dec 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-books
My kid picked this out in a bookstore because of the beautiful artwork. The illustrations in this edition are gorgeous.

The story is a bit meandering, and there's some equally dated language. But the existential threats presented are great and scary, and the Iron Man is an awesome character.

My kid wanted to read it again right after we finished it.
Ken
Aug 28, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably best known for the 1999 animated movie The Iron Giant, this enjoyable children’s book is a quick fun read.

Fans of Brad Bird’s movie might be slightly disappointed that the original story is so different, but the basics are still very much in place.

I personally think shorter stories make for better adaptations as there’s plenty of scope to expand a great story.
Offered the choice I would likely re-watch the film again, but I could see this being a firm favourite amongst children.
Ivana - Diary of Difference
Wishlist | Blog | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | Pinterest

I chose to read The Iron Man by Ted Hughes as part of my Potions prompt for my OWLs Readathon in April. I am very glad I picked it up, because it was such a pleasant short read.

This is a Children's book about a little boy an an iron man. The Iron Man starts eating all the metal in the town, and the concerned town members capture him. But when a bigger danger comes around, the might need the help of the Iron Man after all.

The book was
April (Aprilius Maximus)
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
"Sit up", he roared. "Sit up and take notice, you great space-lizard!" 😂

trigger warnings: fatphobia, fire

This is a classic story repackaged with new artwork from Chris Mould and let me tell you, I ADORED the illustrations. They really made this story for me. Without them, the story would probably be a 2 stars honestly. I've heard the movie adaptation of this is phenomenal so I will definitely have to check it out!

Thank you so much to the publisher for sending a copy of this my way!
Neil R. Coulter
The Iron Giant is one of our favorite movies, and I remembered from the special features about it that it was inspired by a book by Ted Hughes. For some reason I hadn't ever sought that book out, but in the library the other day we happened to notice this copy of it on the shelf, and I grabbed it immediately.

It's clear where Brad Bird got some of the basic ideas for the film version, but the book and film are different enough that they can be regarded as independent entities. As I read the book,
April
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to April by: Kirsty
(Read for book club - 13/07/2013)
“Haven’t you heard of the music of the spheres?” asked the dragon. “It’s the music that space makes to itself. All the spirits inside all the stars are singing. I’m a star spirit. I sing too. The music of the spheres is what makes space so peaceful.”

I suppose the only way I could start this review would be by saying that approximately thirteen years ago a small, likely annoying girl of four's heart was torn apart by the ending scene of Brad Bird's The Iron Giant
Himanshu Karmacharya
The Iron Man is the inspiration for the animated movie The Iron Giant. The movie adds tons of details and depths to the characters and is definitely superior to the book, but the book is fun and pretty good in its own right. It has got a certain quality that will make almost every child fall in love with the book.
Miloš & Brontë
Pa: So you finished your first big book. How are you feeling?

Miloš: Proud of myself.

Pa: You should be. I'm proud of you too.

Miloš: Thanks, Pa.

Pa: Sure, so did you ... what did you think of it?

Miloš: There was a great author.

Pa: Who's that?

Miloš: Ted Hughes.

Pa: Why's he so great?

Miloš: Because I liked the space-bat-angel-dragon.

Pa: The what?!

Miloš: The space-bat-angel-dragon is what I said, Monsieur.

Pa: I thought it was the Iron Giant.

Miloš: And the Iron Giant.

Pa: So what did the space-bat-angel-
Suad Shamma
Apr 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015, own
I was thrilled when I got this copy of The Iron Man from my husband. I've always loved the movie The Iron Giant, and have it almost memorized in its entirety! I never knew that it was based on a book, nor that it was a book written by Ted Hughes!

I shamefully admit that this was my first Ted Hughes book, and although I enjoyed it, it was close to nothing like the movie. That put me off for many reasons, but the biggest being that I was reading it with the movie playing in my head, which was prob
Asghar Abbas
Jan 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing

The book was as liquid as its animated movie.
Kinda reminded me of Bridge to Terabithia. Though the two couldn't be more further apart.

The book was a little different from the movie, by little I mean completely. But what a message at the end, wow. What a message. So amazing. Alas if only.

Funny thing. It was corrupted by them and yet it ended up curing them all.

Oh yeah, if Only. Sigh. But humanity. Sigh. I'd give this one ten stars rating.
Catherine McDonald
The Iron Man by Ted Hughes
The Iron Man: A Children’s Story In Five nights by Ted Hughes does indeed consist of five chapters; designed to be read a chapter per day, although some children may find it difficult to wait a whole day to hear more of this exciting story.
Set in a rural town, a town where a small boy called Hogarth goes fishing in the local stream only to come across an Iron Man. He forms a relationship with the Iron Man and he must save him from the adults. The fact that when he does
Juho Pohjalainen
Doesn't have a whole lot to do with the animated movie - which I love, and if you haven't seen it then you should check it out right now - but it's a pretty entertaining read on its own.
Ian Laird
I suspect few come to this book without having first seen the film adaptation called The Iron Giant, the 1999 Warner Brothers animation directed by Brad Bird and co-written by him.

The film is a masterpiece and is also one of my *favourite films, to watch again and again whenever it comes on. The book is wonderful but perhaps not a masterpiece. Let us deal first with the book, because I think it is necessary and pleasurable to return to the film.

The charm of the book stems from the central idea o
Lauren
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whilst The Iron Man is a wonderfully descriptive and poetic story (there is a real sense of rhythm to Hughes' words which is lovely) the story itself seems to be composed of two separate halves. In the first half, we are introduced to the Iron Man, his fondness for eating anything steel and disrupting the farmers, etc. whilst the second half focuses on him during a test of strength with the space-bat-angel-dragon which has terrified residents and so the Iron Man seeks to make this dragon his sla ...more
Mel
Aug 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
I bought this book based purely on how much I loved Brad Bird's movie adaptation, The Iron Giant. And I think the excellence of the film completely overshadowed this book in my readings.

Hughes has a simple, lyrical style that works for younger readers. And he divides the chapters into episodes to make it easily digestible. However, the story itself has no real depth of character, and prefers to stay detached in describing the realm of the fantastic. We never really see Hogarth and the Giant beco
Cheryl
First let me say that I will not accept this as SF. It's a great story, a parable, a fable, a fantasy... but SF would keep track of relative sizes at the very least! And what about all that consumption; where is the matter going?

Second, I coulda sworn that I read it before. I know I enjoyed the movie. And of course the movie is very different (though also quite good). But I thought I read the story, and yet almost nothing rings a bell.

In any case, this oversized, artistically designed edition g
Pink
Apr 30, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a children's book (which isn't my favourite genre to read as an adult) this was pretty good. The prose is quite poetic and the story is engaging, both on the surface and at a deeper level. One to read with children, while still getting enjoyment yourself.
Rhian Loxley
Jun 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am about to start reading the Iron man with my year three class, and I cannot wait.

Having had the pleasure and vivid memories of being read this story by one of my own teachers when I was at school. I was a little apprehensive as to whether I would enjoy reading this book again, now that i am an adult. I need not have worried, Ted Hughes' writing is magical and this story was made to be read aloud. In fact I have enjoyed reading it so much, that over the half term holiday I read the story alo
Gareth Roberts
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Iron Man by Ted Hughes is a book that I came across due to the year four class I was placed in using the book for the basis of their Autumn terms literacy lessons. The Iron Man is a third person account of a metal eating iron giant who falls from space to impact on Hogarth's and the rest of the village's lives.
The book was used successfully as the basis for a combination of literacy lessons due to the authors use of many literary devices which the class were required to learn that term. It
Stephen Connor
A classic brought back to life by Chris Mould’s superb illustrations. The graphic novel-sequence presentation of some of the pages will appeal to lots of children, no matter where they are in their reading journey.
Sarfraz
Jul 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Iron Man book is one of the most remembered books from my childhood.

The adventure starts with an immediate introduction of the Iron Man, giving great detail in his appearance. The suspense quickly builds up as the Iron Man falls down the cliff and in to little pieces. The body parts then start to reassemble, one by one until the Iron Man is complete. A little boy named Hogarth appears on the scene, fishing in a stream before he is startled by the Iron Man. Hogarth runs home to raise the alar
Zoe Hickey
Mar 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The year fours who I have been on placement had just read this book before I came in to their class and they were raving about it! They had made a huge roll of paper in to the story using pictures which was amazing.

I liked this book as it was easy to read and follow the story. The picture which it creates in the readers head is quite clear. It details how two different creatures can coexist happily on earth.

I think there is a lot which can be done with this book within the curriculum. For exam
Lenalovesbooks
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read this in class two years ago as a class and i loved don't forget to watch the movie after
Selene
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 Stars
Different Is  Beautiful
Very very strong 4 stars
Marc *Dark Reader of the Woods*
Love the movie; it is one of my all-time favorite films. Did not love the original story. Despite the glowing praise from well-known literary figures on the book jacket, I did not find this appealing in the least. The story is dully written; I read it aloud to my boy and found the whole thing to be a drag, starting from the outset and the protracted boring sequence of the titular giant finding his body parts. Then a significantly bigger creature comes to earth and the iron giant taunts it and tr ...more
Michelle (Sherbet Lemon)
It's ok, but the movie is actually better. More consistent in tonality and it makes more sense. I mean I get that a children's book like this is going to involve suspension of disbelief but the iron giant starts speaking human language at the end, seemingly out of nowhere, with no explanation to why he can all of a sudden talk and why he wasn't talking before. Also it goes from attempts to trap him and possibly involving the military for his capture to a ridiculous giant space/star dragon the si ...more
Mathew
Probably one of the most memorable openings to a children's book alongside The Hobbit or There and Back Again and, for me, The Ruby in the Smoke, Mould has revatalised Hughes' The Iron Man with his illustrations.

First published in 1968 and originally titled 'The Iron Man: A Children's Story in Five Nights', Hughes' tale has seen a fair bit of backlash over the last few years and I still scratch my head at this. This is a story about the good and bad that resides in each of us and how it is that
Goodreads Librari...: The Gargoyle author is not The Iron Giant illustrator 6 56 Sep 12, 2018 11:42AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: The Iron Man 1 4 Oct 07, 2014 06:17AM
UEL Primary PGCE ...: Book review 3 1 3 Aug 20, 2014 01:04PM

• Jim and the Beanstalk
  • George Speaks
  • The Firework-Maker's Daughter
  • that pesky rat
  • Mr Big
  • That Rabbit Belongs to Emily Brown
  • The Diary of a Killer Cat (The Killer Cat, #1)
  • Window
  • Frog is a Hero
  • The Julian Stories
  • Dogger
  • Owl Babies
Edward James Hughes was an English poet and children's writer, known as Ted Hughes. His most characteristic verse is without sentimentality, emphasizing the cunning and savagery of animal life in harsh, sometimes disjunctive lines.

The dialect of Hughes's native West Riding area of Yorkshire set the tone of his verse. At Pembroke College, Cambridge, he found folklore and anthropology of particular

The Iron Man (2 books)