Start by marking “Kaffe Fassett's Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts: 23 Original Quilt Designs” as Want to Read:
Kaffe Fassett's Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts: 23 Original Quilt Designs

Kaffe Fassett's Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts: 23 Original Quilt Designs

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
In Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts, world-renowned quilter Kaffe Fassett demonstrates how basic geometric forms—squares, rectangles, triangles, diamonds, circles, and quarter-circles—found in natural and manmade environments inspire his quilt designs. Twenty-three of his magnificent, inventive quilts—ranging from the relatively simple Tilt, ideal for beginners, to the mor ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Kaffe Fassett's Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kaffe Fassett's Simple Shapes Spectacular Quilts

Kimberly Hughes
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
I'm not a huge Kaffe Fassett fan, but I've read all of his books because I pick up any new quilting book at the library and someone at our library that does the ordering obviously loves him. This is my favorite of his so far. It isn't just a museum coffee table sort of book like a lot of the others, but actually has quite a few patterns and the patterns are inspired by the shapes seen in architecture and decor with lots of pictures of the quilts and the inspiration pieces. There is also a basics ...more
Christie
Sep 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
So many quilts to make, so little time! I especially want to make Tilt and Bounce but also love St. Marks and Boston Common and so many more. I was intrigued by the way Fassett plays with colour and contrast much differently than most quilters do and by the effects of using similar colours rather than contrasting ones. For me this book opens up new realms of possibility. I love that so many of the quilts are scrappy, too--most quilt books nowadays seem to have gotten so far away from the origins ...more
Emily
Jul 13, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: craft-quilting
The pictures of his quilts are stunning. Stunning. Personally, this doesn't help me much as a follow-the-pattern type book, simply because without his fabrics, what I made could never look the same. Which is fine, it's why we all make quilts, but I enjoy looking at his, and that's prety much enough for me. Didn't look at the directions too closely, but they looked a bit confusing. Much include which of his fabric lines to use, which is fine, and would help those who truly want to duplicate what ...more
Trish
Mar 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: color, quilting
Kaffe Fassett and Lucy Prior have collaborated on a new hardcover about color, fabric, and quilts. This team just keeps getting better and better. This book has brilliant new designs plucked from photos of art, architecture, nature and unique reimaginings of cloth piecing. This man and his team bowl me over routinely, but he's really taken my breath away--again. Amazingly productive, Fassett is one gifted man.
Amy Qualls
Mar 25, 2010 rated it liked it
True, I mostly read this one for the pictures, but I'm in active idea-gathering mode right now. I saw a couple of ideas with diamonds that I really like. I wish I could tell the person writing the copy to tone down the flowery language, though; from time to time, I felt the urge to have dramatic readings of the text.
Candy
Feb 13, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: quilting
I liked the half square triangle 9 patch block quilts. They were the same except one had sashing between the blocks. It was interesting to see how different the quilts looked.
Also, I am going to use the idea of chain stitching bicycle wheels on alternate blocks of a bicycle fabric pillow that I have in the works.
Nonnie
Sep 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Won this book as a prize at guild.... I probably would not have bought it for myself. Great Photography of both non quilty and quilty items. Makes a person open their eyes and see what is around them.

Loved all the stripe quilts and am dreaming of making one or two but in my own fabric. Not very fond of his fabric... too busy ... but to each their own.

Nonnie
Kimberly
Feb 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: quilting
Fassett's designs and combinations are inspiring. I have used this book as a jump off for a few projects and I'm pleased with the results. It's nice not having to reinvent the wheel a thousand times.
Vanessa
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
great as a side table book. I love picking it up and going through it while whatching tv. Amazing designs inspired be simple shapes seen all around us. Especially love the colors and textures of his fabrics!
Lisa
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Love this book. I need to add it to my library.
Tabetha
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sewing
And this book was not for me. I'm too traditionalist for this. Nice pictures though!!
Lotte Klint