Start by marking “Batman: Tales of the Demon” as Want to Read:
Batman: Tales of the Demon

Batman: Tales of the Demon (Ra's al Ghul Saga 0)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  975 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Meet the Demon's Head in this new printing of a classic collection! Ra's al Ghul has proven through the years to be one of Batman's most formidable adversaries. This volume collects Ra's al Ghul earliest stories, plus a new afterword by John Wells.
Published January 1st 1992 by Grand Central Publishing (first published 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Batman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Batman

Adam
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
I really love Batman stories from the '70s. I started reading the comics at some point in the '80s, but the issues from the late '70s are probably the first Batman comics I ever saw when I was a pre-literate little kid in the supermarket who was fascinated by the covers.

Unlike what a lot of people think, Batman was not the sunny, goofy do-gooder of the '60s TV show until Frank Miller came along and shook things up with The Dark Knight Returns in 1986. I've read random Batman stories from every d
Alex
May 04, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I guess this was never really going to live up to the hype but I still can't help feeling disappointed at how flat these stories felt to read. It's a transitional period for Batman who had gone through many iterations until he became supposedly "dark" in the 70s under the guidance of O'Neil. I get the sense that O'Neil had a direction but unlike Frank Miller who is probably really responsible for retooling Batman, among others, he just doesn't have the chops as a storyteller to make you stand up ...more
Adam Graham
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This out of print trade tells the story of some of the Bat-man's earliest meetings with Ra's al Ghul. It wouldn't be fair to say they were battles because half the time, Batman is on Ra's side or at least they didn't fight.

Tale of the Demon makes you appreciate the features of many modern day trades. There are no issue numbers and no covers. If you just go by what's in the book, all you know about the stories is that they happened some time in the 1970s.

The big surprise is that Talia al Ghul, R
Hamish
I've never been that crazy about Denny O'Neil. Honestly, I think most of his reputation rests on the fact that his work came out at a pretty dire time for Batman comics and must have been a breath of fresh air by comparison, and that he got paired with one of the all-time greats on pencils. His stories are nice in theory: they're street-level and gritty (in contrast to silver age Batman), they take place in exotic locales and they have mystery and thrills, but they fall apart on even the slighte ...more
Justyn Rampa
This is a collection of the earliest Ra's Al Ghul stories written by Dennis O'Neil. Ra's has never been my favorite villain and I find the father/daughter relationship between him and Talia to be disturbing. This compilation did nothing to change my mind. Also, I don't understand the relationship between Talia and Batman. I don't think that they are right for each other. In my mind, Batman only belongs with Catwoman and even then...never more than a nighttime dalliance that builds to a kiss. Tal ...more
Siobhan Hawthorne
Ra’s al Ghul est l’un des super-vilains les plus intéressants de l’univers de Batman, me semble-t-il. Le Joker est évidemment en haut de la pile mais Ra’s est au même niveau, pour des raisons tout à fait différentes. J’étais donc très impatiente de pouvoir découvrir ces récits à son propos. La naissance du démon reprend les origines de Ra’s, comment il a fabriqué (et pas trouvé, ce qui est assez étonnant) le premier puits de Lazare et ce qui l’a fait basculé du côté obscur de la force (oups, mau ...more
Jdetrick
I'm a huge fan of Ra's al Ghul, one of my favorite Bat villains. He, along with his daughter Talia, are showcased in this volume, and we even see appearances from the original Batwoman and the Bronze Tiger. Ra's and his daughter are pretty amazing in most of these stories but sadly time has not been as kind to the stories themselves. The dialogue is sometimes painful, especially when Batman uses "hip" words and phrases, and the plotting can be problematic. The longest storyline in the book, wher ...more
Seth
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
This book felt like it just wouldn't end! The stories were alright as a whole, but sometimes the art work, layouts and dialogue of some of the Silver Age books really slow me down. It just doesn't flow quite as smoothly as Modern Age Comics. Denny O'Neil is kinda hot or miss for me. I liked his run of Green Lantern/Green Arrow well enough, but I'm not sold on how he writes the Batman character. It's just doesn't seem dark enough. I also felt incredibly annoyed by Talia Al-Ghul. Getting to read t ...more
Trent
Jul 21, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I'll admit straight off... I cannot stand Ra's Al Ghul as a character, nor his storylines. However, I'm going through all the Batman trades my library has, so I read this. It was interesting to read Batman stories from the 1970s. It hadn't gotten nearly as dark as it would by the late 1980s, but it wasn't as silly as the 1950s and 60s comics either. Sadly though, from the start Ra's Al Ghul was a boring villain. Though as shown here, he started as a sort of anti-hero. The stories are still ...more
Matt Thomas
But for the whole "fountain of youth" crap, I usually like story lines with Ra's Al Ghul and this is a whole book of them (11). Unfortunately they range from 1971 to 1980 and this is a little old in my opinion for Batman stories. It's a little painful reading the over the top lines and the overall lack of subtlety in Batman's actions. Good to get the history but it was a little difficult to get through.
Tyler
I did not hate this, but this Ra's al Ghul had a lot less menace than he does later, and I agree with other reviewers who assert that Batman's relationship with Talia is somewhat contrived. The current storyline (as far as I am in it...) seems to have made up for that with an excellent, compelling plot. Overall, I think that these do little more than to give background, which I appreciate, but do not love.
Gonzalo Oyanedel
Sep 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
La colaboración artística que intentaron en los '70 el guionista Denny O'Neil junto al dibujante Neal Adams logra cuotas memorables en su renovación del Hombre-Murciélago, reinventado en un realismo detectivesco con toques a la Bond y un adversario que alcanza un rápido estatus de clásico. Historias afectadas por su época y maravillosas de leer en ese contexto.
Mike
Aug 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ra's is one of the most favorite Villan I can think of. Because he employs Batmans' help, and even at times what Batman does helps Ra's. Ra's reminds me of Mumm-Ra From ThunderCats. Mumm-Ra, just goes back to the coffin after he loses only to come back. And Ra's goes into the Lazarus pits just to come back. Still this is always a good read!
eva
Apr 03, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fiction
i picked this up because i'd never read any of ra's al ghul's early stories, and i'd recently re-watched batman begins, which reminded me how much i like him as a villain. these are all quite good comics...for the 1970s. unfortunately they just solidified my opinion that i really don't enjoy most pre-1990s superhero comics except for their historical interest.
Angela
Aug 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, dc
Interesting book. It contains the first appearances of Talia, Ras Al Ghul, and Matches Malone. It's worth noting how quickly Batman and Talia fall in love, I'd always thought there was more too it. This is a good read for those interested in the beginnings of these characters.
Joyce
Jul 08, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: batman, 2015
A nice overview of Batman's early dealings with Ra's al Ghul. I still have no idea why Ra's is so interested in him though. In that regard, it isn't a very cohesive story.

And Talia is creepy. I like the modern depictions of her much more.
C.M. Crockford
Knocked back a star for having no cover art and even skipping parts in the arcs. For shame DC!! Otherwise some gorgeous, James Bond-esque 70s Batman with great hyperbole in the captions and dialogue. Neal Adams and Dick Giordano at their most rugged and globetrotting, great layouts as well.
Ritinha
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As issues dos early 70's são datadas e sintomáticas de uma certa ingenuidade de época.

Já a belíssima graphic novel [Mike W. Barr e Jerry Bingham] na linha temática da Guerra Fria com pitada de enredo JamesBondiano , é um mimo e puxa a classificação global da compilação.
Andrés
Dec 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, batman, comic-books, kept
Since it's a collection of older style monthlies, what I got was a series of really short almost stories that could have been more interesting if fleshed out but ultimately wound up feeling merely like an outline of a story.
Andy
Jan 28, 2012 rated it liked it
While it is quite dated, it's very interesting to have all of Ra's al Ghul's original and significant appearances all in one volume.
Several of these stories also were later used for episodes in the Batman Animated Series.
Austin Clavecilla
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge fan of Ra's al Ghul. He is one of my favorite Batman villains.I love this book and would recommend this book to a friend.
Chris
Sep 01, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth reading.
Mark Stratton
Apr 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Great collection of classic stories from my personal Golden Age of comics.
Lana
Jun 22, 2007 rated it it was amazing
A collection centering on Ra's al Ghul and Talia. Jumps around from 1971 to 1980 basically covering all the Denny O'Neil story lines where Batman clashes with Ra's.
Matt Piechocinski
Aug 03, 2011 rated it liked it
The dialogue is totally dates, but hell ... I've always thought Ra's was one Batman's best rogues, and no one can ever fault Neil Adams' art. I think it's totally worth checking out.
Jim
Jan 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must have for any Batman fan.
Michael
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
The Batman writing from this era is so much stronger than other DC runs, this is pretty good stuff.
Mike Fra
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My rating: 8
Craig
Dec 29, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: graphic-novels
I like the international feel this brings to the Batman mythos, but the Ras al Ghul story is one that feels rehashed every time a new one is told.
  • Batman: Death and the Maidens
  • Batman: Year Two: Fear the Reaper
  • Batman Black and White, Vol. 2
  • Batman: A Lonely Place of Dying
  • Batman: War Crimes
Dennis O'Neil is a comic book writer and editor best known for his work on Batman, Green Arrow/Green Lantern, and The Question.

He also wrote a novel with Jim Berry under the pen name "Jim Dennis".
More about Dennis O'Neil...

Ra's al Ghul Saga (9 books)
  • Batman: Son of the Demon