Start by marking “Going Rouge: Sarah Palin, An American Nightmare” as Want to Read:
Going Rouge: Sarah Palin, An American Nightmare

Going Rouge: Sarah Palin, An American Nightmare

Sarah Palin has many faces: hockey mom, fundamentalist Christian, sex symbol, Republican ideologue, fashion icon, "maverick" populist. But, above all, Palin has become one thing: an American obsession that just won't go away. Edited by two senior editors at The Nation magazine, this sharp, smart, up-to-the-minute book examines Palin's obscure origins in Wasilla, Alaska, he ...more
Published December 1st 2009 by Hci (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Going Rouge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Rouge

Sarah Hayes
Jun 15, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics-history
This is certainly not a book for fans of Sarah Palin, beauty queen of Wasilla and ex-politician gone rogue (ha!) - at least, not the fans who blindly follow her politics and believe she is God's gift to the modern world. It certainly won't change any of those kinds of minds. But for the anti-Palin readers - as well as anyone curious of Palin's legacy - Going Rouge may be the collection of essays and articles they've been looking for. Examining her as a public figure and a person, the book throug ...more
Stephanie *Extremely Stable Genius*
I find this to be hilarious! Is it mean to fool the right wingers into buying the wrong book? Uhh....no! Hey, it is good enough to fool those of us that are dyslexic! They might start to wonder when they don't find any "also to's" and "don't cha know's". Hey....this doesn't sound like Sarah.....it's making to much sense! BAAHAAHAAHAAA!!!
James
Overall, a good job. A couple of the essayists were over the top and sounded like liberal counterparts to Ann Coulter or Rush Limbaugh, but most of them took a more thoughtful tone and focused on facts rather than polemics. God knows the polemics are easy to fall into - Ms. Palin is infuriating and creepy to anyone who actually pays attention to what she says and has done; she makes Dubya look smart and honest, and that's a tough thing to pull off.
I had gotten this book a while back, then stuck
Doug
Feb 01, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
After 8 years with an idiot at the helm of our country I'd have thought the Republicans would try to find someone with substance instead of charisma alone. As an Arizonan I am painfully aware of McCain's lack of charisma. Also as an Arizona I can tell you all the things he's done for Arizona. Like uh, umm, let's see...oh yea, not one damn thing. So the Repubs go for someone with charisma to balance Johnny and choose a woman to appeal to the feminists (oh which she's not one) and an anti-abortion ...more
Rachel
Nov 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Update: Very Informative, especially the essays on her Anti-feminism. I would recommend this book.

I just bought this book and can't wait for it to ship. I usually try not to push my political ideas on other people but I can't WAIT for this woman to go away! I love that this book and her "book" came out at the same time. With the similar title and cover I think it's hilarious people are getting confused. I will read her book just so I have some to compare but I'm checking it out of the library.
William Lubold
Jan 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A friend once asked me why I had such contempt for Sarah Palin. Rather than explaining, I should have handed him this book. It illuminates some of the scandals the media barely bothered to report during the election, especially her ties to right wing hate groups, and the scandalous corruption of the Alaska Governor's Office during her administration. With the right rallying around her abominable, hateful behavior during the 2010 election campaign and after the Arizona shooting, this book is a mu ...more
Rebecca
Dec 20, 2009 rated it really liked it
This book is for the converted, no doubt about it. I can't see a pro-Palin person picking it up unless they're curious about what the enemy has to say.

Beyond that, I enjoyed "Going Rouge". The quality of the writing is uneven because it's a collection of essays by multiple authors but, if you're looking for a reminder of why this woman is dangerous, there's ample material here: environmental policies, making assault victims in Wasilla pay for their own rape kits, religious nuttery, Troopergate,
Carol
Jan 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So far, I am just so gratified that this woman is getting called out on her many lies---no, not mis-representation just flat out LIES. I'll have more to say once I've read the whole book.
Have now finished this book, and there is such a consistent picture of a narcissistic and not very bright person. I think many people dislike her based on life experiences with similar types: the first to take credit for anything remotely resembling success, but never taking an iota of responsibility for abject
Toni
Jun 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Just to be very clear, R-O-U-G-E is the French word for red and generally refers to a cosmetic product (blush) in the US. That is the word in the title of this book. R-O-G-U-E is the spelling for the maverick/dishonest/mischievous word. So, this book is NOT Sarah Palin's autobiography (as one would hopefully guess by the "American Nightmare" part of the title).

Because of the title spoof, at first I thought this would be a satire of Sarah Palin's book, and since there is just SO much available m
Claudia
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Democrats only
Recommended to Claudia by: Heard about it on Olbermann
Shelves: nonfiction
As a compilation of essays, this book was uneven at best. But some of the writing was strong and focused. Three essays in particular helped me understand my viseral reactions to this woman. They verbalized what I could only feel. Linda Hershman's essay, "Sarah Palin, Mean Girl," compares her to the 1990's book, THE RULES: TIME-TESTED SECRETS FOR CAPTURING THE HEART OF MR. RIGHT. I remember that book! It was all about manipulating a man into thinking you were someone you weren't, just to 'snag' h ...more
Ariel
Mar 11, 2010 rated it did not like it
You have to give Sarah Palin some credit, she is one tough women. She was able to overcome diversity and challenges from all walks of life. But I didn’t feel that she was being honest in this book, I thought it was more of a politically driven book, rather than an honest memoir.
Sarah struggled against antsy voters and big oil companies. But I feel that she was very biased in her book. If you were not on her side on every issue, then you were destined to burn. I also disliked her high brow, I a
Kelly
Nov 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Created and published with the self-identified purpose of capitalizing on the success of Sarah Palin’s book, this is a hastily compiled collection of essays published in the wake of John McCain’s addition of Palin to the GOP ticket. Some essays (notably Matt Taibbi’s “Mad Dog Palin”) are worth reading a second time, but most of the work in this collection comes off as dated, partisan grumbling. Some essays are so poorly rendered that one wonders if they were written on deadline over half a bottl ...more
Serri
May 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Alright, I can already hear the collective gasps from family and friends (both Republicans and Democrats) that I actually read this book and Steve is still unhappy that Palin received any of our money in the form of book proceeds...BUT I was reading both Game Change and Too Big To Fail; and reliving the financial meltdown that occurred during the 2008 Presidential election. I thought it would be only fair to hear Palin’s side of the story since I had read Obama’s, Clinton’s and McCain’s. After r ...more
Jamie King
Oct 04, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2008-campaign
The author' are so full of shit, excuse my language. They claim that it is only coincidence that this has the same title as Palin's since they came up with their title first. That lie helps preface the entire content as it is such a easy to spot bait and switch... they publish it under the same name and attempted to replicate a cover as close to her upcoming book as possible.

There was one good article that seemed to catalog the issues that Meagan McCain expressed in her book about campaigning wi
Connie
Dec 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
With all the hoopla about this woman's so-called autobiography, I was pleased to see this book available on my last trip to Costco. It is an excellent compilation of articles, editorials, and essays about S. Palin dating from her first political association, as mayor of Wasilla, and continuing through the VP candidacy.

The citizens of this nation have been fed a large pile of garbage regarding this woman. She was (and is) even more venal, inept, and crooked than I had originally thought.

This shou
Candace Talmadge
Dec 26, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: politics
This book gives readers whiplash going back and forth between critiques written during the 2008 presidential campaign and those written afterward. Although it conatins many cogent observations about its subject, it also misses the only important point to remember about Sarah Palin. And that is her place as a smiling, winking stalking horse for a rabid strain of Christian fundamentalism determined to replace the current U.S. government with a theocracy every bit as repressive as the Taliban in Af ...more
Alex
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: politics
Got this book for my birthday and it's been a great read so far. Basically a collection of essays and opinion pieces written during the 2008 election through to after she had resigned from the governorship of AK. I don't think I agree with some of what was written, but other parts (especially her time as mayor in Wasilla, and her connections to some radical right-wing groups) was very illuminating. So glad the GOP lost!

Incidentally, the editors chose the title 'Going Rouge' before they knew the
Anna
Mar 23, 2010 rated it did not like it
I WAS BAMBOOZLED because I sucked at spelling. Grrr.

I really wanted to read Palin's book - not because I totally love her, but because I'm intrigued and curious.

This is a spoof of her book and is a total bash the republican party. I'm all for people having different opinions. I'm all for voicing them - but opening the book by calling John McCain's wife a trashy whore and it went downhill from there.

I made it to page 3 before I had to get out of bed and go find another book.

Boo to my bad spelli
Audrey
Jun 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Though the book appears to be a tongue-in-cheek spoof of Palin's book, that's not what it is at all. Inside are some of America's most talented progressive writers, brilliant individuals, who have taken a serious look at the phenomenon that is Sarah Palin. I understand so much better now where she came from and what has brought her to prominence. And for fun, you get to stroll down memory lane with the most bizarre language from her speeches and interviews. Excellent and thought provoking.
Jarrod
Sep 13, 2015 rated it liked it
A nice/horrifying reminder of just how close Americans were to a Palin administration. There are some great blunt takes (Matt Taibi especially) but unfortunately there's a lot of repetition. The same details are repeated by most writers but all highlighting different issues, i.e. Palin's "feminism" as torn apart by Slate's Emily Bazelon.

Great read overall, just don't expect any blockbuster revelations.
Clubizarre
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
First off, it's important to read things you disagree with. It's important in forming your own opinions.

That said, it felt like the book going through a checklist. I also felt it feeds into people's confirmation bias and rarely dove into any issues beyond the surface. If you are a fan of hers and her ideals, you will like it. If not, it doesn't spend a lot of time trying bring in new fans though a well thought out discussion nor reinforcing much of the checklist.
Don Stanton
Mar 26, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book is nothing more than very poor attempted hack job on Palin by a conglomeration malcontents. Their mocking falls so woefully short that it nothing more than the venting of politically festering of spleens.

However, I must say that from the first two paragraphs announced agenda clearly. It is tripe. I considered using for fish wrap, but I have too much respect for the fish.

Ruth
Nov 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was a bit of a mixed bag. Some of the essays were quite good, some were purely vitriol, but all were too narrowly focused on a specific point of time. It really needed to have the essay and then commentary added to it, because as it stands it's extremely dated to read without additional analysis.
Shannon
Jun 12, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biographies
Contradictory story. The suggests Palin considers herself a maverick, bucking the political machine to do things her own way. Unfortunately, she repeatedly portrays herself as a victim of the campaign management and the media. It's hard to be a rouge when you bow down so often.
Nancy
Feb 01, 2010 added it
I decided to read this book to get a better understanding of Sarah Palin...
I found it an interesting and informative read..from learning about the Alaskan way of life to nuances of the campaign. This book didn't convert me to a Palin follower, but it did reinforce some of my opinions.
Jun 02, 2010 rated it did not like it
Shelves: listened-to
she makes me want to vomit. it was hillarious to hear her try to defend herself. i thought that perhaps this book would make me have a little more respect for her.... but if it was even possible.... i have less. listening to this just reaffirmed the idea that i am indeed a democrat.
Deepak
Nov 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
Nothing great about the book per se. Its her story told in her words; so all the statements will be from her viewpoint. No problems with that, its just that truth is always in-between.

What you can however take as a learning is 1) hardwork is the key to success and 2) don't trust mainstream media
Sabrina de Jong
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
To me this book gave interesting insights to the unjust fairness of the liberal media and the stupidity of the McCain campaign. I really wish that we had more politicians like Sarah Palin, down to earth, real and interested in the people. I'd recommend this book to both fans and critics.
Mandy Huot
Jul 05, 2012 rated it liked it
Although I enjoyed learning about Sarah and her children, especially the surprise birth of her 5th child, the book itself was quite boring. Not to mention long. I expect an extremely famous person like an actor to have a long biography, not a politician.
Chris Lilly
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: politics
An anthology of op-ed pieces, all making it clear that Palin is a monstrous right wing fool, and nominating her was stupid. There may, of course, be other points of view, but I can't imagine they're held by anyone with a working mind.

• The Lies of Sarah Palin: The Untold Story Behind Her Relentless Quest for Power
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2014
  • The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2010
  • Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1
  • How to Live on Mars: A Trusty Guidebook to Surviving and Thriving on the Red Planet
  • Dread: How Fear and Fantasy Have Fueled Epidemics from the Black Death to the Avian Flu
  • Imagine There's No Heaven: How Atheism Helped Create the Modern World
  • 50 Facts That Should Change The World 2.0
  • Bullettime
  • True Crime the Infamous Villians of Modern History and Their Hideous Crimes
  • Social Darwinism in American Thought
  • 97 Things Every Project Manager Should Know: Collective Wisdom from the Experts
  • Runaway Radical: A Young Man's Reckless Journey to Save the World
  • The Bible in a Nutshell
  • Playing with the Enemy: A Baseball Prodigy, World War II, and the Long Journey Home
  • Understanding Terror Networks