Start by marking “Food and Healing: How What You Eat Determines Your Health, Your Well-Being, and the Quality of Your Life” as Want to Read:

Yes, you are what you eat. For everyone who wonders why, in this era of advanced medicine, we still suffer so much serious illness, Food and Healing is essential reading.

"An eminently practical, authoritative, and supportive guide to making everyday decisions about eating that can transform our lives. Food and Healing is a remarkable achievement."--Richard Grossman,
Published July 12th 1986 by Ballantine Books

To ask other readers questions about Food and Healing, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food and Healing

Start your review of Food and Healing: How What You Eat Determines Your Health, Your Well-Being, and the Quality of Your Life
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is definitely the best book on nutrition and how to use food in an integrated and healing way that I've ever read. It is also probably the only nutrition book that I have read from cover to cover, because Colbin's writing is so clear and easy to follow. There are plenty of helpful charts in the book that make understanding some very complicated ideas very easy. Colbin's approach is based strongly on macrobiotics but with a lot more flexibility and more influences from other healing ...more
Heather
Jan 20, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: health-cookbooks
I have the older version; I'm not sure how much has changed.

I'm trying really hard to learn about health and nutrition. This book was just a little too weird. I liked the beginning and the case she makes for food being able to heal your body or make it sick. I appreciate that as a vegetarian she has first-hand knowledge that some people actually get sick eating that way and so she's really cool about 'eat what your body needs and if it needs meat then do it.'

But she also talks a lot about
Rachel
Jan 03, 2010 rated it really liked it
This book was very helpful. The author is right, it is absurd that mainstream medicine pays so little attention to the link between diet and health. And I agree with her statement that so many of our medical problems are actually caused by uneccesary medical interventions, and that is one of the great tragedies of our time. I liked that this book was not rigid and sanctimonious in tone, as are so many writings in the holistic health movement. I also liked her emphasis on tailoring nutrition to ...more
Sophie  Prokopi
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
If I could rate this book with 6 stars, I would. Colbin gives a very detailed account on what the body needs and how it can be healed through the right type of nutrition. My studies in the field of science have made me question the origin and reliability of any kind of information I receive. However, Colbin is good in providing past studies along with the information that she gives. I love how she refers to topics such as medicine and how drugs cause more damage on the body than healing it. ...more
Mia
Jan 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
The most pedandtic nutrition resource I've ever seen-- I came out with a lot of new considerations regarding food and wellness (i.e. you can't eat the same things the entire year, you must adapt to the environment and pay attentions to "hot" and "cold", "expansive" and "contractive" foods). It's a wonderful guide to learning how to pay attention to our inner needs and use food to satiate at a deeper level.
Maranda Carvell
Aug 03, 2013 rated it did not like it
Really hippie stuff, even for me. Could not get into it, or figure out for the life of me why my nutrition diploma in 2013 uses a book written by a cook from 1986 as a text book. Highlights include when she speculates that "low fat" might turn out to be the next "oat bran craze". Oy.
Neil Gaudet
Nov 30, 2016 rated it liked it
An interesting book. Dated for sure but also still relevant.
Yuan Ru
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: life
*所謂知性是找出重要關聯的能力Robert S. Mendelsohn, M.D.
1. 我們選擇的食物必須是真實而充滿生命能量的P.V
9. 每一次的測試都又向真理邁進一小步經過不斷的測試才能避免觀念的錯誤如果相信恆為真不但沒有彈性而且不能接納錯誤改變和新的可能性
10. 營養不良不一定是絕對性的可能是相對性的
xDEAD ENDx
May 04, 2013 rated it it was ok
While this book does have a ton of good information, it too often makes incredibly tenuous links between health and diet. While I accept a fair amount of non-scientific theory around health, this book was too woo-woo and New Age for me. It seems a good amount of the data is outdated. Along with this, there is too much of a leaning towards changing types of diets instead of attempting to balance a type that is slightly off (ie. eating meat because your vegan diet is too low in protein vs. of ...more
Kayleigh Burke
Aug 01, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. I can only read a little bit at a time because it's so full of information. I think she has a good overall perspective and offers a lot of good advice for what to eat to be your healthiest. There are a lot of home remedy suggestions, and she shows you how you can really change how you feel and cure several problems without going to the doctor, but rather by changing your eating habits. Some of her philosophies are a little hippy-dippy but I love that kind of stuff ...more
Laurel
I found this book sort of reaffirmed a few things I've realized while eating, but never knew why.
Certain foods affect the body differently. Some make you feel open, some make you feel closed off. Some give you an acidic feeling, others don't. Reading about the different major diets was interesting. All have their pros and cons (some more cons and less pros), so it was interesting to read the effects it can have on the body if maintained for a long period of time, if it's possible.
Mckinley
Mar 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: health, non-fiction, diet
Outdated, worst sort of pseudoscience. Not bad premises but supported with un-scientific and emotional-based evidence and illogically formulated. Yes, diet is of prime importance to our health. However, I couldn't get past what she claims as universal laws. Universal to who? It's clear she cobbled them together to fit her thesis.
Disappointing.
Michele Buckles (peterson)
Oct 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Very good book. Read it for a "food therapy" class. Annemarie talks about where healthy eating meats everyday realities and what one person would consider good for them may not be good for another person. A must read for anyone interested in holistic nutrition!
Nathalie
Sep 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant read for anyone interested in the connection between the food they eat and their present physical, emotional and mental health. It's also a good place to start if you're thinking of making dietary changes.
Susan Connell Biggs
Dec 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I asked my writing group for the title of a book on food that taught them the most, and all recommended this book. It has really helped push my thinking along. I just ordered a copy to own and will read again.
Ester Serrano
Jun 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Though it has a lot of information it's clear and easy to read. Love the way she interprets nutrition, in a natural and non restrictive way.
It's one of those book you should be revisiting every now and then.
Brittany
May 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Truly an amazing book. This covers so much that it's hard to condense it into one review. Suffice to say, Annemarie Colbin is my new hero!
Geri
Dec 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Life changing, eye opening, inspiring, best book I've read in a long time.
Debra Brunk
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book presents an interesting approach to nutrition. I very much liked its message of integrative health. The author presents the material in an engaging and interesting way.
Amy
Jan 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book will change your perspective on "dieting", health and the medical system. It's the common sense that many of us abandon when we're bombarded with hype and fads.
Principle Based Learning
Loree
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Loree by: AnneMarie Colbin
Excellent, excellent, excellent. Must read. I discovered this while attending the Institute of Integrative Nutrition.
Margaret
Apr 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
exceptional book providing readers a different way to approach health and wellness. I have given this book to many people to introduce them to new ways of thinking and keeping healthy
Katie
Mar 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Lovely and easy to read book that looks cross-culturally at nutrition and develops a theory of whole food nutrition. I love this book and re-read it often!
Matt Miller
Dec 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is not a book you sit down and read straight through. It's more like a permanent reference book you constantly go back to when your body out of whack.
Jessica
Feb 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Jessica by: skeewel
Everyone should read this book. Seriously.
Zachary Sciuto
Jul 28, 2016
Jen Leap
Mar 12, 2014
Mrsryan
Oct 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• When Life Gives You Pears: The Healing Power of Family, Faith, and Funny People
  • Thyroid Healthy: Lose Weight, Look Beautiful and Live the Life You Imagine
  • The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying
  • You: The Owner's Manual: An Insider's Guide to the Body That Will Make You Healthier and Younger
  • One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Right Where You Are
  • I Grew Up Little: Finding Hope in a Big God
  • Eat Your Way to Life and Health: Unlock the Power of the Holy Communion
  • The Missional Mom: Living with Purpose at Home  in the World
  • The Complete Poetry and Prose
  • Christianity for Dummies
  • Flunking Sainthood: A Year of Breaking the Sabbath, Forgetting to Pray, and Still Loving My Neighbor
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Natural Gourmet
  • Under Occupation (Night Soldiers, #15)
  • This Is Pleasure
  • Accidental Husband
  • Walden

Related Articles

“Consider this scenario: A man gets a stomachache after each meal. To “treat” this problem, he takes (either by prescription or by self-medication) some antacid or other nostrum. Then he gets a headache (which may or may not be a side effect of the stomach medication); to “treat” the headache he takes aspirin, which further irritates his stomach. Three years later he develops an ulcer, for which he takes another medication, plus large amounts of milk and cream (although an outmoded treatment, it is still being used today). Meanwhile, he is still taking antacids for his indigestion and eating the same way he always had. Eventually, he has an operation to remove his ulcer. He continues with his high-dairy diet. Soon thereafter he develops arteriosclerosis and high blood pressure and begins to take antihypertensive medication. The side effects of the latter include headaches, dizziness, drowsiness, diarrhea, slow heart rate, mental confusion, hallucinations, weight gain, and impotence. When his wife leaves him for a younger man, he takes antidepressants and sleeping pills. He has a heart attack and undergoes an operation to repair a heart valve. Painkillers keep him going as he slowly recuperates. A year or two later, he finds himself with an irreversible neurological disease such as ALS or Alzheimer’s, and he wonders what could have gone wrong. All that’s left for him to do is wait to die, which he can do in a nursing home, drugged into complaisance and painlessness.” 2 likes