Jump to ratings and reviews

Blood Singer #1

Blood Song

Bodyguard Celia Graves has definitely accepted her share of weird assignments, both human and supernatural. But her newest job takes the cake. Guarding a prince from terrorists and religious fundamentalists is hard enough, but it seems like the entire supernatural world is after this guy too. When she is betrayed by those she is employed to help, and everything goes horribly wrong, Celia wakes to find herself transformed.

Neither human nor vampire, Celia has become an abomination-something that should not exist-and now both human and supernatural alike want her dead. With the help of a few loyal friends-a sexy mage, a powerful werewolf, and a psychic cop-Celia does her best to stay alive. On the run from her enemies, Celia must try to discover who is behind her transformation . . . before it's too late.

364 pages, Paperback

First published June 8, 2010

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Cat Adams

14 books723 followers
This is the pen name of Cathy Clamp and C.T. Adams (co-authors of the Thrall trilogy and the Sazi series published by Tor). They created this name to write under to make it easier for new fans (or old) to find them on the book shelves.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
513 (7%)
1 star
214 (3%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 487 reviews
Profile Image for Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ .
1,255 reviews8,650 followers
September 7, 2016
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

Meet Celia Graves, a 100% human independent security consultant (BODYGUARD), in a world full of creatures.

You: How's that work? o.O

Me: Someone wise once told her that no human is a match for the monsters, magic or no magic, and the important things are "brains and good equipment."

You: She got those things?

Me: It'd make for a pretty lame story if she didn't.

And a short one.

While on a gig for a particularly royal disgusting client, she's attacked by a vampire, who, inexplicably, decides to turn her rather than kill her . . . Which is weird, b/c (per an overheard conversation between Creatures) the whole point of the attack was apparently so that her DEATH would be blamed on some other vampire, for reasons we aren't privy to.

Creatures do so like their plots and schemes.

BUT.

Would-Be Master Bat is interrupted by the arrival the plot's intended target and forced to flee before he can finish the process, leaving Celia passed out on the pavement.

She wakes up an abomination---their term, not mine. It's rare, but when this sort of thing happens, the result is varying degrees of partial change.

In Celia's case, this means fangs, an inability to digest solid food, heightened sensitivity to sunlight, increased strength, and a handful of other things, but her biggest hurdle is that even if she's walking around in broad daylight . . . she looks like a vampire.

And having a convenience store worker panic at the sight of you and spray holy water in your face will ruin your whole damn day.

This is actually the third time I've read BLOOD SONG, and for awhile this series occupied one of my Top Five UF Series spots. Then no new installments for years, b/c "Cat Adams" is really a writing partnership that has since dissolved, so even though a new book is finally forthcoming, will it be on the level of its predecessors?

I don't know. But I'm gonna find out. Hence the reread.

In the meantime, I very much enjoyed reconnecting with Celia and co., and I highly recommend the BLOOD SINGER series to all urban fantasy fans. The world is diverse and unique, the characters are well-developed, and the individual plot lines are more than entertaining. *whispers* If I'm being vague, it's b/c there's a significant Plot Twist about midway through the book, and it's a kind of pivotal detail that's pretty much the foundation of the rest of the series. I'm not going to ruin it for you, but trust me---it's good. #spoilerssuck More details in next recap, I promise. *winks*

Jessica Signature
Profile Image for Maya.
858 reviews423 followers
August 27, 2016
description

So...I got to 65% and I just couldn't go on. I tried but it didn't work out. When I started reading this book I was really excited and happy to finally get my hands on this story but after the few first chapters I felt like the story wasn't going anywhere. And therefore my attention has gone by by. Sorry...I wish I could say something else but this book just bored me and while I would have loved to finish it, I simply cannot read another page of nothing's going on plot...
Profile Image for Missie.
263 reviews100 followers
June 19, 2011

Another one I had to force myself to finish. *sighs*

I started this book last month for Blog with Bite, and tried to have it done before the review deadline, but somewhere along the way, I completely lost interest. I revisited it this past weekend because of the Read Your Own Books Read-a-Thon, and I can't say I enjoyed it very much.

The plot was a white hot mess, as were the plethora of unnecessary characters! I just couldn't wrap my mind around what was going on because there was no focus. Just when Celia Graves, ordinary human, who is a body guard in a world where all kinds of supernatural creatures exist, was getting out of one mess, another one would occur. I supposed the intended effect was to stir up some excitement, but I found it annoying. And really?! She is a professional body guard? Why? And why would supes (or a prince) even consider hiring a human as a body guard?

Back in college, Celia took demonology classes and formed friendships with clairvoyants, mages, and werewolves, but always felt like the odd ball for being just a plain human. But now that she has been bitten by a vampire and almost turned, but not quite, she is an abomination. This forces her to learn how to deal with her new vampire tendencies and prove that she is not going to be a risk to society. But that is not all, turns out Celia wasn't really all that human before the vampire bite. She is also 1/8 siren. What?

I found pretty earlier on that I just couldn't support Celia Graves as a heroine. The whole time, she just felt very strange. I got the impression that she was meant to be like Cat from the Night Huntress series, but it never worked in Celia's favor. Nothing about her was particularly likable, and without a clear male lead taking an interest in her, she didn't give off any sort of bad-ass chick vibe that I have found myself envying in other heroines. And, for as blasé as Celia pretended to be about money, she sure talks about it a lot. Apparently as a body guard, she makes top dollar for her services, and she spares no expense for her own security, weapons, and office space; she even has enough to make sizable donations to her alma mater. Yet Celia's poor personal assistant has to fork over some of her own money to get Celia a new outfit so she can look professional enough to do her job and conduct a meeting!

The story just didn't make a whole lot of sense; the overloaded plot and the underdeveloped characters fell flat, often moving through scenes without any distinguishable transitions. The end of the story made it clear that more books in this series are planned, but I'm not interested enough to read more about Celia's haphazard adventures.
Profile Image for Wicked Lil Pixie (Natasha).
272 reviews60 followers
April 16, 2010
Celia is a bodyguard who is sent to guard the Prince of Rusland, which in the book is located in the Ukraine. While guarding the Prince is a series of shady strip clubs, Celia is set up in a political plot and ends up being killed. Well not really killed, a Master Vampire bites her but doesn’t drain her nor does he change her, so she becomes an Abomination (a term for the in-between stage, not fully mortal but not undead either). There aren’t many recorded instances of Abomination’s, but those who were recorded were locked away in institutions, killed or committed suicide. Celia refuses to let that happen to her, she’s too strong to succumb to that and she’s hell bent on finding out who did this to her and why!

But…Celia’s “Master” is hunting her, trying to call her to his side so he can either finish the job or kill her. People around her are dying and somehow it’s all connected, with the help of a Mage who happens to be Celia’s ex-boyfriend, a werewolf who keeps his furry-ness hidden, a warrior-priest, a cop and an elderly clairvoyant, Celia is set to figure out what all of this is about and why she was targeted.

Blood Song is the first book in The Blood Singer series, written by C.T. Adams & Cathy Clamp under the name Cat Adams. I honestly could not put this book down, not even to answer the phone. It was just that good people, I haven’t read a book this year that I flat out refused to put down until I was finished, this was that kinda book. I am already craving the release of the second book, I need to know what happens. The Blood Singer series, just jumped to the top of my favorite series list.

Celia is such a great character, you fall in love with her determination and love for her friends right away. Cat Adams developed the characters in Blood Song perfectly, you feel like they’re true to what they would be if they did exist. You know, people you would want to have your back in the world. You laugh with them, fight for them and even cry for them because this book has some real hard to deal with moments of upset for Celia. The politics are true to form, so much so you’d think there really was a Rusland. With the cliff-hanger of an ending, you’ll be dying to get your hands on the next book in the series. I am. Want it NOW.

Filled with political plots, supernatural politics, family drama all wrapped up in a wicked Urban Fantasy, Blood Song is a MUST have for fans of the genre who want to read something different.

I honestly can’t rave enough about how much I enjoyed this book, I thought I’d read some great 5 star books this year, but Blood Song blew them all out of the water.
348 reviews36 followers
April 9, 2021
An enjoyably exciting, intense story line in the first half of the book takes a disappointing turn in the second half and leaves a great deal unclear and unresolved. On top of that, the ending is doubly grim for the main character and first-person narrator, Celia Graves, thereby setting up a sequel (how will she possibly survive? etc.). In other words, most of the problems I had with this novel are located deep within spoiler territory, so I'll see how much I can tell you based on the information in the back cover blurb.

Celia works as an independent bodyguard in a world where vampires, werewolves, psychics, clairvoyants, and mages have been part of public life for a long, long time; children are tested for magic ability in grade school, and police are required to get a witness's permission before they can use a memory retrieval spell. Most important, vampires have most of the characteristics you're familiar with, and there's no penalty for killing one. People go around armed with holy water, etc.

On an assignment to guard a visiting prince, Celia is ambushed by a vampire and wakes up naked and strapped to a table in a university lecture hall. No students present, thank goodness, just the experts who want to study her because she's only partly turned--the technical term is "abomination"--and she has a seemingly random assortment of vampire properties. Sunlight is fatal to vampires but not to Celia, and holy water just gets her wet. But she has a vampire face now: fangs, pallor, and redness in the eyes. The sight of her produces instant panic wherever she goes.

In an unremittingly hostile world, Celia urgently needs to find and kill the "master" vampire who tried to turn her (but was interrupted by other vampires--never too clear to me what the motives were) because he'll come back to finish the job or destroy her. She has to find her sire before nightfall but nobody knows where his hidey-hole might be. Then other things come up and it's on to the next day. This crucial high-stakes plotline stretches out through various other crises until it's abruptly terminated with little explanation. And that was probably the biggest single problem I had with this story.

Another problem: Celia's grandmother waits till page 321 out of 364 to reveal to Celia something major about her heritage. It's practically deus ex machina then, when she calls on that heritage to survive the climactic fight; it wasn't foreshadowed in any way that I could detect in the first 300 pages, and it lands her in a big bind at the end--to set up the sequel of course.

Some of the other reviewers didn't like Celia very much, but I thought her personality fit her profession quite well; she's strong, direct, and straightforward, and says at one point
I find the razor's edge of a knife and the smell of gun oil comforting. So sue me.
Yet her response to her best friend's death was very human, enhanced in this world because her friend comes to her again and again as a ghost.

In short, I liked the main character and the world the author has created, and I thought the secondary characters were pretty reasonable. The action, though intense, becomes rather incoherent and leaves me looking for the plot--it must be in there somewhere...well, hmm...uh, why is this happening? and this?

Still, it was impressive to read a story told from the point of view of someone who faces being locked up on general principles, whose appearance is repellent, and who can be killed with impunity if she goes out at night when the vampires she resembles roam the streets.
Profile Image for MrsJoseph *grouchy*.
1,011 reviews83 followers
February 13, 2017

1.5 stars rounded down to 1 star!!

I received my copy of Blood Song in December 2013 as a Hogsfather's Day gift. This means that Blood Song qualifies for my The Mt. TBR Struggle is Real challenge!

So. Blood Song.

I didn't enjoy Blood Song very much. But there were some rather nice parts. My biggest issues with Blood Song revolves around it's complete and utter failure of the Bechdel Test*, it's jumble on plots/plot points that left the ending confusing and the pretty pathetic sequel baiting at the end.

The heroine, Celia, starts off in Blood Song as a "normal/regular" vanilla human. With the assistance of gadgets, good weaponry (think Batman) and training, Celia is a top-notch bodyguard against the supernatural. While out on a (terrible) job guarding a prince, Celia is attacked and almost turned into a vampire. Celia's "turning" is interrupted so she is an abomination: both human and vampire. Sooooo...she's basically a day walker now (Hi Blade !).

So, here we have Blade Celia, our Batman-ish, Blade-ish Daywalker. Celia doesn't know why she was attacked because something wiped her entire memory. No problem, though! Celia's very best friend is a level 9 clairvoyant. So we zoom over to the BFF to learn that Celia's only female friend has been murdered. :( The reader never gets to meet this woman on page.

Bunches of stuff happen as Celia races to discover who tried to turn her before they finish the job. While this is going on, the reader is introduced to Celia's potential love triangle interests: an ex-boyfriend (mage) and a long-time friend (werewolf). I was *so excited* to learn that a love triangle is in the works for book 2. Yaay. <----sarcasm.

Then later the Celia learns she's part Siren. And this is the reason she has no female friends. This is also the reason she will never have [het] female friends. Celia has a conversation with her grandma in which grandma says to her - and I kid you not - some shit like:

"Why do you think you don't have any heterosexual female friends with child baring ability?"
"Normal women will never like you."
"When ever you're in trouble, you call out to the men around you to help."
"The reason the vampire tried to turn you and not kill you is because he was a man."

WTF.

Soooo many WTFs.

Not too long after that, we get to the ending...which was just a hot mess of plot stew for me. Celia and her supernatural friends have been looking for the guy who turned her...when suddenly the King (father of the prince Celia was guarding when attacked) shows up. He then wraps up the vampire-turning segment by showing her the head of the vampire who tried to turn her. How the king even KNEW about the situation was...never explained (other than 'clairvoyance') Nor was it explained how he both knew what happened, found the vampire AND killed him before Celia even knew the vampire's name.

The king then hires Celia to play bait at a big event that will bring the bad guys out of hiding. Because something to do with the king and his heir was the whole reason for this... I think. It appear(s?) that attacking Celia was both something to get to Potential-Boyfriend-Werewolf angry over Celia's death that he'd do things AND to tarnish something or the other with the king and his sons. Which somehow got me to demons. Why demons? And a magic circle in which Celia calls to all the MEN around her. Because Siren. It didn't make sense and I was too pissy over the BS text that I didn't bother to parse.

Obviously, I do not recommend this one. Nor will I continue the series. Now off to find some brain bleach...

*Technically, this book does not fail the Bechdel test. Celia does have a few conversations with women that were not about men. Sadly, almost all of these conversations are tinged with dislike or aggression and are as short as possible. The reason? Every woman that is not homosexual and/or heterosexual with child bearing abilities will hate Celia automatically. Because Siren. ffs.
Profile Image for Liv.
596 reviews24 followers
February 25, 2011
I just finished the book and thought that I should write this review while things are still relatively fresh in my mind... This book could have potential - the premise, the setup, the characters could have been 10 times better. Unfortunately, while I saw the potential of a good book, Blood Song just didn't cut it with me. I had one word to describe it - FLAT. The plot was flat; the writing was flat, the characters were flat. So, just plain FLAT - and I can't think of a better word for it.

I can immediately think of numerous shortfalls that make this book less than desirable, and will attempt to capture them here in this review. There may be spoilers (I'll try my best to avoid them) so please proceed with caution...

(1) The protagonist/heroine of this book, Celia, was supposed to be a bodyguard - it was her profession. After the first few chapters of the book, I was like, what the hell?!?! She's a bodyguard?!?!? She was not badass enough, bitchy enough, tough enough, in my opinion, to be portrayed as a bodyguard. It would have been more convincing if she was protrayed to be a professional "babysitter" instead... Seriously, when I think bodyguard - especially a female one - in a supernatural setting, I would think of a badass character like Anita Blake or something. I wasn't buying this one bit....

(2) The writing annoyed me, tremendously, especially during parts where something drastic happened to Celia. Sometimes I would be like... come on, get some emotions going here would ya!!! The authors could have put more emotions and descriptors to the situations Celia was experiencing, but nooooo, she just sucked everything up and went on her usual business as though it was no big deal (even though her inner voice would say that it was a big deal). This wasn't even someone acting tough - it just seemed outright UNNATURAL for a supposedly human to react as such. Sorry, not buying it again...

(3) The whole business about Celia hunting down her sire drove me nuts. She kept going on and on about how it was vital that she found her sire first, but she kept getting caught up in other matters that she never really got around to it. Then suddenly, he was conveniently killed and her problem was solved!!! I was like, huh??!! That's it? Man, I thought that was the stupidest part of the plot and her sire served no purpose to the overall story other than turning her into an "abomination"...

(4) As mentioned in the beginning of this review, the characters were flat, and there were so many of them. So many times, I would be midway through a section and when a minor character popped up again, I would be like "who's that again?!?"... I'm not joking, I lost track of who's who on multiple occasions in the book. Even with the two major male characters in the book - Kevin (the werewolf) and Bruno (the mage), neither guy made me feel wow-what-a-hot-guy-I-want-him-so-badly. I thought they were introduced very nicely and had huge potential, but the author just didn't do them any justice. They started off nicely, but then went downhill from there. There were no sparks or chemistry at all between Celia/Bruno or Celia/Kevin. There was this supposedly hot scene between Celia and Bruno at the hotel, but other than seeing the words on paper, I felt nothing - no heart racing, no palm sweating, no swooning over the hot guy whatsoever. Kevin literally disappeared after a very brief appearance near the beginning of the book and we saw very little of him again - what a waste!!!

(5) The plot in general was dry and flat. In places where there were dangers and surprises, the actions were over so quickly that you wouldn't even feel the adrenaline running or the anticipation building. Imagine a roller coaster that kind of just ran up and down small bumps slowly with no real loops and turns and heights - that's how I felt after I finished the book.

I would have given this book a 1-star rating only, but decided to give it 2 instead, simply because of the siren princess introduced at the end. The princess was described as a beautiful, arrogant, inconsiderate and self-centric woman. Normally a character of this type wouldn't appeal to me, but ironically, I thought she walked in with style and was the most interesting character in the entire book. For her alone, I am willing to attempt to read the second book in this series, just to see what may transpire.
Profile Image for Mitticus.
965 reviews209 followers
February 8, 2016
4.3 wavelet stars

In the end, even the toughest human is afraid of the monsters.

Este es el tipo de libro en que te dejan caer en medio de la acción, y te van explicando de a poco lo que va pasando. Incluso busqué si existia una precuela (que no hay), porque tiene muchisima información volando.

Para empezar en este mundo hay vampiros (malvados, hipnotizadores, le afecta los simbolos religiosos). Y aqui va el gran asunto NO explicado e indeterminado y que no me quedó nada claro--> Hay facciones religiosas fanaticas y otras no. (¿?)

Después hay magos, hay brujas, hay clarividentes, y después los ciudadanos comunes que deben estar comprando hechizos para protegerse (y agua bendita y cruces/u otro simbolo de fe) ; y mejor ni salir de noche ni a la farmacia porque te puede agarrar un vampiro de snack.

La prota trabaja de guardaespaldas, a pesar de describirse como 'vanilla human', asi que recurre a todo un arsenal comprado para hacer su trabajo. La asignacion al principio es proteger a un principe extranjero que se va de farra y alli ...SNAFU.

It had been too soon to tear the lid off of these particular memories. Any time in the next millennium would have been too soon. “Trauma” is such a nice, sterile word for what was ripping through my brain and chest

Celia despierta convertida en semi-vampiro después de un ataque. Desde alli empieza una carrera por averiguar por qué pasó esto , que se complica con policia y FBI, y muertes inesperadas mientras esta tratando que la encierren para estudiarla por peligrosa o 'para su protección'.

A pesar de que ella se defiende bien y hay acción, creo entender las quejas al respecto de otros reseñadores. Es que en el momento álgido de la acción pareciera que todo se va a lo que antes se conocia como 'fundido en negro'. Hay cosas demasiados fáciles como Nop, pareciera que sale demasiado fácil de los problemas, sin dar muchas explicaciones internas, y te arruina el momento.

¡¡Y todavia no explica lo que me estaba esperando toda la novela: lo de la hermanita!! ¡Ni tampoco como se hizo amiga de Ivy y del hombre-lobo!

¿Que si voy a seguir con el libro siguiente? Pues si, que quiero saber las respuestas a lo de arriba.
------------
*NOTE: there is a lot of therapist characters in the book and references to bad situations (kidnap and torture).

The good thing: Kickass heroine.
There is some sexy romance-male-interest (one ex, one maybe), but is not primordial.

The no-so-good: Easy way-outs - it seems.
No explanations, until now, about past-traumas y key friendships.

And, sirens are crazy people.

Profile Image for All Things Urban Fantasy.
1,921 reviews611 followers
June 17, 2010
Review courtesy of AllThingsUrbanFantasy.blogspot.com

Review:
It’s no longer enough to have traditional vampires or classic werewolves in urban fantasy books, we want something new, something innovative when it comes to the supernatural. In Cat Adams (aka C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp) BLOOD SONG we get treated to a host of new (and tweaked familiar) paranormal creatures including bats, nulls, abominations, werewolves, demons, clairvoyants, mages, psychics, and others I can’t giveaway.

Celia Graves is a vanilla, someone without any magical abilities at all. She’s worked hard to make up for her lack of magical prowess by rigorous physical and weapons training that have helped earn her well deserved reputation as one of the best elite bodyguards. She has a slew of cool spells and gadgets that help her defend against all sorts of paranormal nasties…until she narrowly survives a vampire attack that half turns her. Now she’s an Abomination (dhampir), feared by humans and hunted by vamps.

As you can imagine, being hunted by blood thirsty vampires translates into lots of action, but to be a truly excellent urban fantasy (which BLOOD SONG is), I need some kind of romance as well. Cue Celia’s mage ex fiancé and a seriously smokin’ hot werewolf. The two of them provided plenty of romantic tension that promises to play out in future books.

And did I mention the topnotch plotting? Cat Adams doesn’t appear to believe in coincidences, everything that happens in BLOOD SONG has a reason. This provided several very cool ‘oh, that’s why…’ moments for me while I was reading. Seemingly insignificant details early on combined for some extremely satisfying revelations at the end. It’s always good to read a series written by an author who understands the importance of good plotting. I’m sure there will be even bigger payoffs in the subsequent Blood Singer books.

Overall, Cat Adams new Blood Singer series, starting with BLOOD SONG, is the latest in a string truly excellent urban fantasy debut’s this summer. A resilient heroine, a supernatural smack down, and not one but two potential romantic leads? I can’t wait to read Siren Song which will be released on September 28, 2010 followed by Demon Song in 2011

Sexual Content: References to sex. References to homosexuality. A scene of sensuality.
August 25, 2016
When I was finally able to get into this series, I liked it. I'd give it a 3.5 stars for originality and giving the character a maze of a personal life. And while I liked this book, I don't think I'd recommend it because the series as a whole isn't good. It's beyond formulaic and that's really not the greatest in UF. The appeal of these is ease of reading, pretty good pacing, and an odd vamp-siren mix. But there is an endless list of things that annoy me s out this series, a few are:
- love triangle
- Celia's mother
- Celia's grandmother
- the love triangle that feels forced and is pretty weak to start with
- a lack of conclusions and info to most things and they're often never spoke of again in these books
- plot holes

This kept me occupied while I was sick and I did enjoy books 1 and 2, but the rest of the series was a letdown.
Profile Image for Leeanna.
538 reviews92 followers
June 25, 2010
Blood Song, by Cat Adams

"Blood Song," featuring tough bodyguard Celia Graves, is the first in a new urban fantasy/paranormal series. Celia is at first a "vanilla" human - no magical abilities - but quickly becomes an abomination when a bodyguard gig goes horribly wrong.

Celia has to quickly learn to deal with her new existence as a cross between a vampire (bat) and a human; she has supernatural abilities such as quicker healing, but also weaknesses such as craving blood. If that wasn't enough, she's in danger from her sire, the vampire who turned her into an abom, and also under fire from a deadly demon. While Celia's willing to accept some help from her friends, she's also immensely stubborn and determined to do all she can on her own, especially when one of her friends supposedly commits suicide. Add in a world full of magic, vampires, werewolves, clairvoyants, militant priests, and an ex boyfriend, and you've got quite a mix.

I didn't quite like "Blood Song." The story was good enough, but I never fully identified with or liked Celia. She reminded me of plenty of other urban fantasy female main characters, with the same sort of wit and attitude. Maybe it was the first person narration that bothered me - I'm not sure. Or it could've been the large cast of characters; by the end of the book I'd forgotten a few names, and had to look them up to remember who everyone was. Or it could've been the plot itself - I thought "Blood Song" dragged on a little too long. I don't regret reading the book, I just think it could've been a little better.

3/5.
Profile Image for Mrs. Badass.
566 reviews224 followers
June 24, 2010
This book has a lot of promise. But fell flat for me. Celia Graves is a human bodyguard. She get's paid a lot and has a lot of cool guns and magical enchanted weaponry. She often goes up against 'monsters' (Vampires {Called Bats} Apparently she is good at what she does, but we don't see that really, she just tells us that. When she get's attacked and becomes an abomination, the story stalls and most of the dialogue is internal woe is me, "Omg what am I gonna do, this just totally sucks for me!" stuff. I found myself skipping a lot. Also, there was excessive filler of what characters were wearing all.the.time. Urgh. Pet peave of mine.

The writing sort of bothered me, although I can't pin point why exactly. I'm ok with first person protag, but all of the sentences felt choppy and juvenile.

The twists were sort of just erm weird a little and felt out of place with the Siren stuff, and the ending is made for a sequel and I hate that. Also not real sure on how I feel about how the relationships between Kevin and Celia and Bruno and Celia are discussed.

the story had promise, but wasn't what I was hoping.
Profile Image for Schwana.
23 reviews3 followers
May 30, 2010
I was not sure what to expect when I received this book. It caught my attention right away. The main character, Celia Graves, is a diverse individual. I was pleased to find that she is not the "oh woe is me" or "I can kick anyone's butt" type of character. I enjoyed that she can take as good as she gets; she is not just a "pretty face" nor is she just an average run-of-the-mill character in which everyone just absolutely loves.

I got to the end of the book and wanted to grab the next book and start back up to see what happens next. It was sad that she lost her best friend Vicki, but it makes her a stronger person to know that she was able to still be "in contact" with her spirit. LOVED the wake scene! LOL - I think it was pretty ingenious of the author to plan it that way.

I think it is good to read a book and pick the characters you love and hate. I love to hate Celia's mom, but hope that she can come to terms with her. Even if they never get along, at least she can move past her anger towards her. It sort of pisses me off that everyone wants her to "forgive" her and try to understand her. Why? Her mom turned her back on her because her own problems were more important than her own daughter!

See ... diverse characters rule!
Profile Image for Yodamom.
1,975 reviews194 followers
May 13, 2011
I feel in love with this book from the first chapter. We have a protagonist that is one tough kick-arse chick with real problems and deals with them realistically. She is a body guard/vampire hunter with a great (boarding on geekish) love for her weapons and gadgets. She is self supporting and works hard to pay the bills. When her life or her friends lives are in danger she does not stop to play footsie with some hunk she gets into gear and does something. Actually, there is only one brief romantic encounter and it is quickly put aside.(not in the heat of danger) The other characters are just as appealing, and yes there are some hot men but they have a job to do too. There were some hints of a possible love interest in the future.
What a fresh breath of air this story and characters were. I really liked her and respected the hard choices she had to make. This is Urban Fantasy the way I like it.
Profile Image for ~Tina~.
1,092 reviews159 followers
June 17, 2010
While I thought the twist in magical paranormal was fascinating and the characters were head strong and strikingly created, I could not for the life of me get into the plot and writing flow.
This is just me, since I picked this up thinking it was YA and didn't know it was UF till after (oopsy) But I don't think this is why I didn't like it, it lacked...spark.
I think I'll have to give this one a re-read another time.
However, anyone looking for an original concept in urban fantasy should find Blood Song intriguing, entertaining and a satisfying read.

Profile Image for BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme.
6,619 reviews1,258 followers
August 19, 2011
Well, I know I read this book yet it didn't really stick in my mind. How bad is that? This was an okay book since I can't remember even enough to write a full review. Since this was over a year ago, I could use that excuse except I remember books from when I was a kid. O_o
Profile Image for Jennifer Wardrip.
Author 5 books479 followers
November 4, 2012
Reviewed by Breia "The Brain" Brickey for TeensReadToo.com

BLOOD SONG is the work of amazing duo C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp, writing as Cat Adams.

In this story we meet Celia Graves, a bodyguard to the rich and famous who, although she is a regular human, knows about ghosts, demons, and other types of supernatural beings. While on assignment guarding a prince from a small European country, she is left wounded from a vampire attack.

This attack leaves her as an Abomination, not really vampire but not plain vanilla human, either. Celia must figure out her new limits, as well as destroy her maker before he can gain control over her - although this is the least of her worries.

Action, twists, and turns abound in this wonderful new series. The story flows like magic and the characters are very exciting. Celia Graves is definitely a character to watch.

For readers who are familiar with C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp, I think they'll be surprised at this new take on the old supernatural creature story. For those who are not familiar with them, I believe they'll go back and find their other stories just to get another taste of such wonderful storytelling.

This book is what urban fantasy is all about: fast-paced, mysteries galore, and a main character who is stubborn beyond belief even in the face of stronger creatures. Reading this book was like going on a roller coaster ride where the lever broke off and they can't find the off switch.

Cat Adams has crafted a story that will have others taking notice and scrambling to craft a story just as good. I think this will be one of the best series we'll see this year, and I would expect nothing less from the dynamic duo called Cat Adams.
Profile Image for Literary Ames.
828 reviews393 followers
June 26, 2010
After reading this, I had quite a few unanswered questions. At times the story was all over the place and couldn't decide what path it was going to take. It's left me confused about certain outcomes plus quite a few characters were introduced and I didn't always understand their significance with so little information being given about them.

Mainly I wanted to meet Celia's sire, learn about his relationship to Edgar, and more about these vampires in general but this was scuppered by the King of Rusland's actions.

The emotional relationships Celia had were interesting but the mystery behind her torture and her sister's death was never revealed. In fact her past although alluded to through dreams and little facts about her mother, isn't written in much detail. I would've liked more but I guess we'll see that in the sequel. Her siren status was new but didn't really fit with the rest of the book and just added more questions to the all ready long list.

Side note:
It was also weird reading about characters whose names have a strong connection with me: Amy (my name) was the girlfriend of Kevin -my father's name -eww. I also don't get along with him so every time I read the name I couldn't help but feel a flare of anger. I tried really hard to not let that get in the way of my enjoyment of the book.
Profile Image for Susan ...relish every word!!!.
214 reviews20 followers
June 3, 2013
Amazing book...I loved it from beginning to end!!! I love the main character Celia...she is strong willed...and has a great eye for weapons...my kind of woman!!! I am definitely going to read the next book in the series...I need to know what happens next!!!
Profile Image for Gary.
167 reviews68 followers
August 23, 2016
only 4 stars for this as it took awhile to get into
Profile Image for Iori.
586 reviews4 followers
January 11, 2019
It was kind of fumbling at the start but really picked the pace at 10% or so of the novel. The world of Celia is parallel to ours, the supernatural creatures live alongside humans but some are revolted and killed on sight; like vampires, or persecuted (werewolves). We little by little discover Celia's tragic past while she struggles with the change the vampire attack on her person caused. Her life changes and it all started with her best friend death.
Profile Image for Kathy Davie.
4,645 reviews699 followers
June 6, 2012
First in the Blood Singer urban fantasy series revolving around Celia Graves, a personal security specialist in Southern California.

My Take
Well this was different! Talk about drama and tension. Thank you, lord, for not making Graves a whinging, drama queen! Instead, she's kick ass with compassion with an unusual living arrangement, an independent consultant with her own security business, a range of also-unusual friends, and the "required" dysfunctional family.

While Graves gets on well with the police, she has serious issues with other authority figures---and Adams has provided a very different take on vampire life and a peek into werewolves, psychics, and more.

I certainly have enjoyed her relationships with her dead friends! Having your dead friend attend her own wake...she was a crack up.

I really enjoyed this and can't wait to read Siren Song ...I just gotta know what happens with her snotty cousin!

The Story
An attack on the prince changes Celia's life forever. Thank god for friends like Emma and Kevin. It's due to their quick thinking that Celia is even alive to follow up the clues about the attack. Clues that make no sense. That seem to add up to a massive plot

Meanwhile, Celia is threatened right and left by "well-meaning" authorities, but she's determined that she will be able to control herself for she knows that entering a facility until "they" determine she's safe is more likely to be a one-way trip. Nor does the pressure stop as the plotting continues with the intention of getting Celia put away.

The Characters
Celia Graves is human, she thinks, and doing good work as a personal security consultant. Ivy is her ghostly sister while her mother Lana Graves is a drunken betrayer of the first order. Dawna Long is the receptionist/secretary for Celia's building which she shares with Ronald, a real jerk of a lawyer, and Bubba, a bond bondsman. David and Inez are the caretakers at Vickie's estate where Celia lives in a guesthouse. Princess Adriana Kalino is a siren and a relative on Granddad's side. She's also self-absorbed and quite rude.

Bruno DeLuca is a mage and was the love of Celia's life back in college. He's appointed himself her bodyguard for the duration. His brother is Father Matteo DeLuca, a militant priest determined to end all types of demons.

Vicki Cooper is a clairvoyant who lives at a very high-end "treatment" facility where she needs its shielding and protective atmosphere to safeguard the world from her powers; Alex, a police detective, is her girlfriend. Cassandra Meadows and Jason Cooper are her parents, movie stars both. They stashed Vicki away at Birchwoods and hired a stand-in to play Vicki; god forbid the public should learn about Vicki's...disability. They have never visited her, leaving that little chore to her true friends. John Creede is one of their bodyguards and "said to be the real power" in his company. He also seems interested in Celia.

Detective Karl Gibson is in charge of investigating and convinces Celia to be hypnotized in an attempt to recall the missing hours. Dorothy Simmons is a retired hypnotist who will need to disappear. Roberto Santos is the senior attorney in criminal defense for the law firm Vicki used. Special Agents Erikson (he's with the bad guys) and Rizzolli are feds interested in the case since it impacted a foreign national. Seems King Dahlmar of Rusland is also "after" Celia. Kristoff is his younger, more impressionable son. Prince Rezza of Rusland is having a last fling before marriage and with his country's new rise to prosperity, his security is of great importance to his father. Bob Johnson is the security consultant who taught Celia the ropes.

Emma and Kevin Landingham with their father Warren are involved in their father's research to varying extents. John Jones is a colleague of Kevin's from the old days. The alphabet agency days. Dr. Scott is in charge of Birchwoods. Dr. Evelyn Greene is a psychiatrist Scott recommends Celia see if she wants to stay out of custody. A doctor with alternative motives who pressures and pressures Celia.

Edgar is a vampire who is being plotted against and he has a message for Kevin of plans within plans. His two associates are much less pleasant. Particularly Lilith and her murderous tendencies.

The Cover
The cover is all Celia Graves. Her face from golden, glowing eyes to red lips fills the front.

The best I can imagine as to why this title is that the need for blood is like a Blood Song for the body.
February 1, 2014
Synopsis:

Bodyguard Celia Graves has definitely accepted her share of weird assignments, both human and supernatural. But her newest job takes the cake. Guarding a Prince from terrorists and religious fundamentalists is hard enough, but it seems like the entire supernatural world is after this guy too. When she is betrayed by those she is employed to help, and everything goes horribly wrong, Celia wakes to find herself transformed.

Neither human nor vampire, Celia has become an Abomination—something that should not exist—and now both human and supernatural alike want her dead. With the help of a few loyal friends—a sexy mage, a powerful werewolf, and a psychic cop—Celia does her best to stay alive. On the run from her enemies, Celia must try to discover who is behind her transformation…before it’s too late.

My Thoughts:

I ended up enjoying this book more than I expected to. A few of my GR friends read the series, but I've put it off. I didn't think I'd like it much. Turns out I was wrong. Go figure.

I actually ended up liking Celia quite a bit. She's a pretty strong heroine. She has her vulnerabilities and faults, but they don't seem to get in the way of what she needs to do. She's very professional in her job even when she can't stand the client. It turns out that she should have gone with her first instinct and not taken the job because the night ends really damned badly. When she wakes up, she's changed. Not completely, but enough so as to have some people consider her a monster because she's now an abomination. Despite that, Celia has remarkable self-control and keeps from attacking others despite getting hungry or angry. A childhood trauma and the therapy she's taken in the past seem to responsible for that. Lucky for Celia or she'd like have ended up losing her head. There also seems to be another aspect to her that helps her out as well. When her grandmother finally fesses up about it at the end of the book, safe to say, Celia is shocked. It doesn't stop her from using her new-found abilities when she's in a pinch, though. Granted, she's been using them since she hit puberty, she just didn't know it.

There are quite a few things going on in this book. Celia needs to find her sire before he tries to kill her or finish changing her. She ends up getting more involved in the plot surrounding the events of her change, though. We actually only ever saw her sire try to contact her the once and then I practically forgot all about him. When he was taken care of, it was in a way I sure didn't see coming. The offer that came with it was the same way. The way the plot surrounding the royal family from Rusland came to a close was exciting and definitely a close call. It seems, demons are on the move. I wonder what they have planned?

The secondary characters seem interesting enough. I'd have liked to actually get to know Celia's best friend Vicki. We really only see her through memories and then
August 27, 2011
Bodyguard Celia Graves piles her trade in a world where vampires roam the night and movie stars openly practice witchcraft, where cops use memory enhancement spells on witnesses and street-corner psychics have real powers. And ordinary , Celia use her street smarts- and charmed weapons to protect the rich and famous.

Celia is guarding the prince of a small but politically vital nation while he tours Los Angele's least savory hot spots when she is attacked by a master vampire.

Expecting to die, Celia is shocked to wake strapped to a table in university lat. She has become an Abomination, neither fully mortal nor fully vampire. When she's accused of murder, the cops aren't sure if she should be locked up or just staked. And then there's the demon she glimpsed during the vampire attack...

Struggling to cope with her new powers and trying not to terrify everyone she meets with a flash of fangs, Celia reachers out for help from her once (and future?) lover, a powerful mage; his warrior-priest brother; a handsome werewolf who keeps his lupine nature hidden; and elderly clairvoyant; and the one cop she trusts.

Celia Graves has three days to save the world, her sanity, and her soul.

I picked this book up by the look of the cover, and what I read on the back cover. I thought it sounded new and different and very, very, interesting. Well at first glanced I thought I would end up loving it, but as you can see what I rated it I was, sad to say, slightly to disappointed. I didn't think that I wouldn't have loved the book, but I was taken by surprise. I didn't love it, but it was a good read.

Plot - ☆ ☆ ☆ The plot was really well thought out, but that is all. It's a good plot, but as I read through it I found myself having a hard time following it. At times I would just say to hell with it and throw the book down and not pick it up for awhile. Now don't go and make the decision and not try and read the book. Just because I didn't enjoy it as much as I wish I did, doesn't mean you won't enjoy it.

Writing - ☆ ☆ ☆ The writing was simple at best. I found myself reading paragraph after paragraph and I didn't feel that much challenged, not in the least. It was a little to simple for my taste and I found myself getting bored easily, and that is never a good thing for a reader of any genre of book.

Characters - ☆ ☆ ☆ The characters were the only thing that I really enjoyed of this book. They were interesting and I found myself wanting to learn more about the characters, then I wanted to read the book. I wanted to learn about them all, about their past, present, and future.

Now after finishing Blood Song I will most likely read the next book, Siren Song (Blood Singer, #2).

Overall I give this book ☆ ☆ ☆ - no more and no less!
23 reviews13 followers
December 9, 2011
I was about ready to give up on urban fantasy, because as I've complained in other reviews, few of Buffy's ass-kicking, demon/vampire/werewolf/whatever-slaying descendants tend to be likable in the least.

I picked up Blood Song while in Wisconsin, intending to read it on my flight back to Seattle, but ended up getting absorbed in the Hunger Games instead. I should have been reading this series earlier, clearly.

Celia Graves is a bodyguard (yay! Something other than a detective!) who's taken a gig protecting an Eastern European prince. After she's attacked by a vampire, she learns she's become an abomination: not fully a vampire, but no longer human, either. Now she must find and kill the vampire who sired her, as well as tracking down a lurking demon and convincing the police force not to stake her.

The book is a page-turner. Celia is wry and a bit sardonic without being bitchy, and the supporting characters are well-drawn, with believable attitudes toward her.

One of the things I liked the most is the take on vampires. They're not super-sexy normal people who drink blood and just want to be loved (as they are in most urban fantasy). When you become a vampire, you lose all your memories of who you were, and vamps (referred to as "bats") are not human in the least. The vampires spend most of their time offstage, which makes them more fascinating when they do show up. While telepaths, mages, and warrior priests are recognized and accepted members of society, vampires aren't. They're the enemy, pure and simple. THANK GOD. I AM SO SICK OF HEARING ABOUT HOW VAMPIRES FEEL.

The book's not perfect -- at times Cat Adams seems on the verge of losing her grip on the busy, breakneck plot -- but I enjoyed it and would recommend it as a refreshing change to the urban fantasy genre.

I think my reason for liking it so much more than most urban fantasy novels was because it is primarily concerned with coming to terms with a human's transformation into something nonhuman, and with others' reactions to it. While many urban fantasy novels deal with a heroine who already had some sort of powers gaining new ones, Blood Song is about a normal woman who's accepted that she'll never have any sort of supernatural abilities getting saddled with some pretty inconvenient ones, and it doesn't skimp on exploring what that means for her relationships.

I'll be picking up the next book in the series soon. I'm a little nervous about whether Cat Adams is about to follow the Laurell K. Hamilton route of just piling on a bunch of powers (not only is Celia half-vampire, she's also a siren!), in which case I won't be sticking with the series long, but so far, so good.
Profile Image for Cody.
33 reviews29 followers
September 8, 2015
Synopsis:

My Thoughts:
When I bought the book, I was excited and pumped to read it thinking this was going to be a pumped up action story with lots of twists and turns and in my excitement, I bought the next two books in the series as well. The beginning of Blood Song starts out with action and excitement, and then that drops when you start meeting the other characters. While a lot of detail is given to describing scenes and events (which slows down the reading quite a bit), not much is given in the way of learning the characters (which makes them slightly difficult to connect with). I began regretting my impulse purchase of the sequels. With that in mind though, you do start to eventually warm up to the other characters about midway through and it’s at about the same point that I was able to differentiate between the past love interest and what might possibly be the current love interest.

I LOVED the world built by Cat Adams-where monsters are known about, and society has been made to deal with it and work beside them. Vampires are avoided at all costs since they lost all humanity when they are turned. Partially turned humans are called Abominations. Werewolves, demons, spawn, and Sirens all have their part in this story and by the end of the book, I wasn’t regretting my impulse purchase anymore and I’m now itching to read the next in the series, Siren Song.
Profile Image for sj.
404 reviews79 followers
February 18, 2012
Full disclosure, I'm really only reading this series because I won the fourth installment from First Reads. I'm not entirely sorry I read it, but I am a little disappointed.

Good Stuff

The world building was excellent. The two ladies that are Cat Adams created a believable AU, where magic, vampires, werewolves and demons are fairly commonplace. I bought what they were selling.

The main characters seemed to be fully realized (but there were some other issues with characterization that I'll touch on later).

The plot was pretty decent. Yes, there were many things that I saw coming, but it wasn't throw-it-down-in-disgust-why-am-I-reading-this-tripe bad.

Things That Made Me Go Ugh

Too. Many. Characters. There were so many occasions where I had to go back to figure out who was being talked about. People were introduced quickly, then discarded, then brought back. Again and again and again. I'm still not even sure who some of the major players were, because there were just too many people to keep track of.

The sentence structure. So many of the sentences seemed to just end abruptly, when they could have been combined with commas or semicolons (and I HATE semicolons). Example: The Russians were practically apoplectic. Their control over Europe’s natural gas supply was critical to their economy. Having a competitor next door wasn’t making them happy.

The overuse of "oh, by the way, have I mentioned...?" We're given a lot of information in this manner. "Did I tell you that..." which, to me, means "Here's some vitally important information you should have had earlier, so I'm going to drop this bomb in a completely inappropriate place, because I can't figure out where else to fit it in."

TL;DR

Decent, but not great. Good enough to get me to read the next in the series, even if it's only to see if the problems with this book were just first-novel-in-a-series issues.
Profile Image for Jessica(Spinecracker).
158 reviews29 followers
November 1, 2010
Originaly posted on http://thespinecracker.blogspot.com/

Blood Song is one of the most original character-based pieces of fiction I've read since maybe Kim Harrison's Dead Witch Walking. There's a story to be fair, but it's all about Celia and the secrets she discovers about herself and the ones around her. The writing duo of Cathy Clamp and C.T. Adams, or better known to you and me as Cat Adams, knows how to utilize 1st person POV. Every action, conversation, inner monologue is all with the purpose of making you the reader, feel as though all the experiences on the pages are yours as well. So, if you're one of those people that can't get into 1st person I implore you to not let that stop you from reading.

Celia Graves' character is complex. She's tough while still being vulnerable. Celia's a bit broken. But she survives the best she can and makes no excuses for her actions. There are many things about Celia's past that we don't learn, and they become rather frustrating, but it only draws the moth closer to the flame. The subtly in which you start to become attached to her is first rate.

I also become very attached to the secondary characters in this books, and it's a bit strange how it all happened. To be honest, the character relationships were a bit baffling at first. You're introduced to all these people in Celia's life, but we're not really given that much to go on; very little history, scant descriptions etc. But as information slowly trickles out you've already decided on your attachment based on their actions. I didn't merely like a character because Celia has fond memories and a long history, my bond was created based on their current interactions and emotions. Cunning...very cunning.

Bottom Line: Such a smart story. I've been forever effected by the book and the characters within.
Profile Image for Van (Short & Sweet Reviews).
533 reviews17 followers
June 12, 2010
Won from Goodreads First Reads :)

The first thing that caught my attention was the cover, it's very beautiful and definitely peaked my interest. The novel is set in Los Angeles, California, where we get a first person POV from bodyguard Celia Graves. She is a human bodyguard that is hired to protect a prince, and from than on things just get more complicated for her. She gets attacked by a bat aka 'vampire', so now she must find her sire before he finds her.

I was hooked from the first page of the novel. This is a fast pace urban fantasy, that im sure all other urban fantasy/paranormal fantasy fan will also love. I love Celia, she's a independent character that isn't afraid to speak her mind. There were many twist in the book that i wasn't expecting, and the ending was a real shocker! Thank goodness that we will only have to wait a couple of months for the next book, that is release in October!

As i wrote before a definite must read, shelf keeper for UF/PF fans, or anyone looking for a great read. Eagerly awaiting for book 2!!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 487 reviews