Start by marking “We Danced All Night: A Social History of Britain Between the Wars” as Want to Read:
We Danced All Night: A Social History of Britain Between the Wars

We Danced All Night: A Social History of Britain Between the Wars

Bounded by the Great War on one side and by the looming shadow of the Second World War on the other, the inter-war period has characteristically been portrayed as a time of great and unrelenting depression. In Martin Pugh's lively and thought-provoking book, however, the acclaimed historian vividly shows how the British people reacted to the privations of wartime by indulg ...more
Published July 2nd 2009 by Vintage (first published July 3rd 2008)

To ask other readers questions about We Danced All Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Danced All Night

Start your review of We Danced All Night: A Social History of Britain Between the Wars
Cleopatra  Pullen
Feb 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, own
This history book concentrates on the history between the wars, something I was keen to know more about as inevitably this period is overshadowed by those very wars.

The book is split into chapters each one looking at different aspects of the period, including the role of women, crime, schooling, childhood etc. which makes reading it a pleasure. This is an easy book to dip into and gain some insight into the lives our ancestors would have lived. Hugh doesn't ignore the past in this li
Wayne
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read. Informative, entertaining, packed full of interesting information. For those readers interested in this particular period in English history dont miss this book.
Geraldine
Aug 03, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016, history, 20s-30s
Mixed feelings about this. Subjectively, I enjoyed it a lot. Objectively, big spoonful of salt. Flawed but highly recommendable.

It's not a 'scholarly' work although I acknowledge that it took a tremendous amount of research to make it happen. I wasn't looking for a scholarly work, but for a readable sweeping overview and that is certainly what I got.

The book is divided into chapters - about 20 - on different themes that I chose to read one by one. But it would have been e
Melissa
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book even though some sections were a little boring to me, the rest of the book which had me intrigued totally made up for that. The only reason I got a little bored with some sections was because I am not totally 100% interested in politics and can only take it in short bursts.

However having said that I would recommend this book as some chapters are absolutely rivetting and you can find out so much about 1920's Britain, which I often feel is kind of clouded ove
Ant Koplowitz
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Really enjoyed Martin Pugh’s social history of Britain between the wars; it covers so much ground, but never in a dull or boring way. This book is totally engaging, with discussions on subjects as diverse as women’s suffrage, mass entertainment, motor transport, monarchy, and immigration, and all of them framed within a political context. It’s a long book – 500 pages – but I can honestly say it doesn’t feel like that, and it never drags. Pugh is a very readable historian, his work here being com ...more
Brianne Moore
May 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting and different view of Britain between the wars that focussed less on politics and strife and more on the lives of ordinary people at all levels of society, how things were changing, and how they were adjusting to the changes. All sorts of fascinating little bits of info, from the most popular candies to the health issues people were obsessed with to the nightclubs favoured by the famous. Well worth a look for anyone interested in social histories.
J.D. Oswald
Jan 21, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fascinating account of the period between the two world wars, entertaining, well-written and informative. Divided into themed chapters, it is not a text-book as such but still gives a strong impression of the period.
Hattiedog
Apr 08, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very interesting read if you would like to know more about this period in history. It covers many areas which you could explore in more depth should you wish to. It took me a while to read this book as I kept dipping into it but it was easy to pick up where I left off.
Michele
Aug 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Fascinating.
LOL_BOOKS
MARTIN PUGH'S WE DANCED ALL NIGHT IS ALSO RELEVANT TO YOUR INTERESTS.
Kitty

• Susannah of the Mounties
  • Striking a Light: The Bryant and May Matchwomen and their Place in History
  • It's Not About the Burqa
  • Gay, Straight, and the Reason Why: The Science of Sexual Orientation
  • Is It a Choice?: Answers to the Most Frequently Asked Questions about Gay & Lesbian People
  • Presenting The Past: Anne Lister Of Halifax, 1791–1840
  • Anime Supremacy
  • God and the Gay Christian: The Biblical Case in Support of Same-Sex Relationships
  • Germany 1945: From War to Peace
  • Under the Wig: A Lawyer's Stories of Murder, Guilt and Innocence
  • Boy Erased: A Memoir of Identity, Faith, and Family
  • The Age of Improvement, 1783-1867
Martin Pugh is a historian of nineteenth- and twentieth-century Britain, and was formerly professor of modern British history at the University of Newcastle-upon-Tyne. His publications include State and Society and The Pankhursts.