Start by marking “Selected Poems” as Want to Read:
Selected Poems

Selected Poems

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  178 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
In Selected Poems, we experience the full range of James Schuyler's achievement, confirming that he was among the late twentieth century's truly vital and distinctive poetic voices. One of the most significant writers of the New York School—which unofficially included John Ashbery, Frank O'Hara, and Kenneth Koch, among others—Schuyler was strongly influenced by both art an ...more
Published May 15th 2007 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about Selected Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Selected Poems

Courtney Johnston
Jul 21, 2012 rated it really liked it
Did you know that James Schuyler went to Italy with Auden as his typist? No? Me neither. He was also 'curator of circulating exhibitions' at MOMA in the late 1950s, and the 1981 Pultizer Prize winner. He wrote Frank O'Hara's elegy, and he died of a stroke in 1991. These are all things I found out after reading this collection - I try not to learn anything about a poet when I am reading them.

Schuyler's poems traverse countryside and cityscape, illness and joy, gossip and intimacy. He spends most,
Guttersnipe Das
May 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
One of the best and grandest days of being a college student, more than 20 years ago now, was the afternoon I sat in the big white tent at Naropa and listened to Eileen Myles read poems by “Jimmy” Schuyler and tell tales. She had been his assistant for a time -- indeed, he chats about her in several of these poems. Because I am such a glacially slow learner, I just thought this was all very cool -- it took me a couple decades to perk up to the fact I had to actually read the poems.

I read all th
Christopher
Jun 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry
Conversation and a lyrical love of words crafted in surprising, short snappy poems and masterful long works (“The Morning of the Poem” “A Few Days”) make this volume a joy to read.
Aidan Collins
Sep 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
James Schuyler is such a joy. His poems rarely jumped out at me, yet I could've kept reading for a long time. I was sad when the pages ran out, and very happy.

From 'The Morning of the Poem':

This day, I want to
Send it to you, the sound of stirring air, soft
       sunlight, quivering trees
That shake their needles and leaves like fingers
       improvising on a keyboard
Scriabin in his softest mood, and the wind
       rises and it all goes Delius,
The sky pale and freshly washed, the blue flake
Paul
Sep 12, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2008
Morning of the Poem. The Crystal Lithium. Hymn to Life. A Man in Blue. An East Window on Elizabeth Street. Some are long and some are not, but all are endlessly cherishable. And funny. I like funny.

Schuyler was the ultimate loafer and it definitely shows in the poems. But the loafing is just so charming. I've never appreciated a couch potato more in my life. The cover painting is particularly accurate in this case.

In general, I think that the New York School is the greatest poetic movement after
Jenny
Feb 07, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Pepper
Shelves: language, setting
A friend recommended him to me because I was interested in reading more prose poetry and wanted to get some ideas on how to fix my line breaks. Schuyler also hung out with Frank O'Hara (I'm a fan) and the rest of the New York School and I’ve read some of the others but never him. I either rushed through or skipped a good number of his nature poems and New England farmhouse countryside scenes (except the ones about skies and ocean) but did really get into his poems about New York, love, and peopl ...more
Nov 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry-poetics
Boy, I'm glad I read this. Schuyler doesn't seem to be anthologized as much as O'Hara, Ashbery, and Koch are. I don't see why not. "A blue towel" is on my list of all-timers. The long poems were wonderful; I read them all in one sitting. [Well I took a break during "Morning of the Poem" (60 pages):]. <3<3<3<3
Tosh
Jan 06, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Superb poet and right in the ground zero of New York Poets via the 50's and 60's. The beautiful moments he captures is quite remarkable. I did a Tosh Talks segment on another collection of his poetry

Sean A.
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Interesting, largely personal sometimes humanist images, details and minutia, presumably largely from Schuyler's own direct experience. More-or-less engaging and interesting. Rarely goes for the gut, better seen through rimmed glasses.
Shhhtevie St. Evie
Feb 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
This book will be sitting on your shelf for years. What I mean to say is it’s densely packed with a decade’s worth of Schuyler’s work. And like all good poetry you must sit with it and that takes time: days, weeks, maybe years. A daily dose of James Schuyler goes a long way.
John
Mar 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
perfect accompaniment to the change of seasons
Jenni
Jul 27, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poets
A poet's poet. A breath of fresh air when you get bored of Ashbery. "The Morning of the Poem" is beautiful and damaged, but also incredibly light and funny.
Leif
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Conversational and insightful, Schuyler is a beauty with an eye for the truth of a thing in its details. Read these now, read them later, read them whenever.
Kevin
Dec 21, 2008 rated it liked it
good stuff once he gets away from botany and the changing of the seasons.
Greg Bem
Nov 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I felt my insides intricately woven by experiences made poetic through proximity out of his model to those that already carried heightened image and sound.
Jul 03, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I really don't know why more people don't teach Schuyler. He's also really fun to listen to if you can get ahold of the old recordings (try PENNsound).
Jun 19, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I'm unsure as to why FSG chose this instead of the Collected Schuyler, but Ashbery's introduction is enchanting and as true to Jimmy as could be desired. This is still a major collection of poems.
Nick
Oct 24, 2008
Joseph
May 24, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Age of Huts (compleat)
  • Notes from the Air: Selected Later Poems