Start by marking “Developing Library and Information Center Collections” as Want to Read:
Developing Library and Information Center Collections

Developing Library and Information Center Collections

This latest edition continues to cover all phases of collection development--from needs assessment, policies, and the selection process (theory and practice), to publishers, serials, protection, legal issues, censorship, and intellectual freedom. Each chapter has been extensively revised to reflect changing practices, policies, and technologies. To this end, some chapters- ...more
Paperback, Fifth Edition, 446 pages
Published September 30th 2005 by Libraries Unlimited (first published 1995)

Brooke
Jun 06, 2012 rated it liked it
If I never have to pick this book up again, that would be fine with me! After 3 exhaustive days of straight reading, I have finally finished it. While a lot of the information is useful, I found the text to be redundant. A lot of the issues were brought up & repeated in multiple places. In addition, I quickly tired of the mention of changes for the "future edition." It made the book feel dated, which in fact, I think it is due to the lack of emphasis the author wanted to give to certain tech ...more
Katy Vance
Feb 27, 2011 rated it liked it
The day I come across a traditional textbook which deserves five stars... well, it will be one heck of a day. Sunny, I imagine.
Jason Ackermann
Dec 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: work-related
So I read this on my own. NOT required reading for my collection development course but a lifesaver for providing actual information when faced with an otherwise absent professor. Horrible class , decent introductory book.
Anna
May 12, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody! least of all library school students
Gads I had such high hopes for my collection management class, but the textbook is a reflection of my disappointment. Dry, dry, dry dessicated prose. Content was pretty much non-useful.
Sandra
Apr 24, 2011 rated it did not like it
This thing is massive and a must read for my Library Acquisitions course. Lots of good info, unfortunately its cutting into my recreational reading and is really boring :(
Christa
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was ok
As a student, this information was mind-blogging, irrelevant, and boring. Many of the lessons from this book are great, however, most people learn hands-on while on the job. Many of the scenarios presented are basic and may help, but by the time you're doing the job, you will forget the lessons presented in the book anyway. The book struggles to provide real world knowledge of the process, but it's a difficult task, but they do their best. Library budgets, electronic resources, and data have cha ...more
Mk
Jan 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: i-own-it, libraries
This book doesn't at all deal with the politics behind collection development. By this I mean that it doesn't question the idea that neutrality is possible or even desirable in selection. Though it has lots of information that will help librarians in practical ways, it's a boring read on a topic that I think has the potential for deeper, exciting analysis. Additionally, both authors come from a background of working in academic libraries, and their coverage on libraries outside of this is at tim ...more
Brian
I found the content of this book was not highly relevant to the collection development process practiced at the academic/research library where I work. It could be that much of this book was written with large public and academic libraries in mind, thinking that the process could be scaled down for smaller libraries. I've found this to be incorrect. It does seem that evaluation of electronic resources is more art than science, and librarians are still arguing about it constantly, so I couldn't b ...more
Jenny
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mlis
I find that it's hard to get terribly excited about most reading that is assigned for MLIS coursework; Not because I am disinterested in the subject matter, but because they're usually very dry. However, I feel I would refer back to some texts as need dictates later on in my career. This is one of them. Some of the supplemental course readings for Collection Development had more practical information, though. Sections of this book were also a bit dated, specifically in regards to electronic reso ...more
Julie
Apr 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
I really enjoyed my course on collection development, but this assigned text was painfully dated. The slightly newer text Crash Course in Collection Developmentthat we used along side this book was much more helpful.
Melissa
Oct 28, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I took a friend's advice (who shall remain nameless) and got through this class barely ever cracking this book. The one or two paragraphs I did read were totally boring. the class was really fun though and I still got an A.
Christen
Feb 28, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: professional
I found with this series of professional library books, that the information tends to be outdated and too general to be truly helpful to an inexperienced student. Those with experience in collection development won't need it.
Bonnie
Apr 01, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, mlis
This was the textbook for my collection development class. It was a little dry, and the chapters seemed to go on forever, but most of the information was really valuable, and the cd that comes with it is packed full of goodies.
Heather Bolwar
Jul 07, 2015 rated it it was ok
I must confess, I never finished the readings in this text, because the other required text for my collection development course was MUCH better. I wonder if Evans is an alumni of my university and that's why this is the second course I've taken with one of his books as a required text?
Tricia
Apr 03, 2010 rated it it was ok
A college textbook I actually read all the way through. Dense text, but useful stuff. Click here for my full review.
Charlie
Sep 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: MLIS students
Shelves: mlis
Four stars, sure, but just because it turned out to be a subject that interested me and connected to my daily work. Style-wise, it's a textbook with personality but not much artistry.
Angie
Mar 13, 2011 rated it liked it
This is really 2.8 stars. There were parts that were very informative and parts, like with any textbook, that were just painful to get through.
Joe Saloom
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: school
Had some good information in it and was a pretty good read - not dry and boring.
Lisa
Jul 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
well considering I read this ENTIRE book for my 5 week summer class, I thought it was worthy of adding it! It was interesing if you're interested in that kind of thing!
Sabrina
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
A decent introduction,but drily written. Would have been much better with illustrations of layouts.
Sean
Dec 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: library science students
Textbook - has some good information on building a collection development policy... just as i suspected!
Phillip
Feb 10, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a textbook. There is nothing wrong with it. But, in the end it is a textbook.
Kim
Nov 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Dated content with endless references to CD-ROMs. Book lamented the lack of a union catalog but WorldCat has been around longer than this book!

Had to read for Library class. Ugh! Glad it is over.
Jessie
Oct 20, 2011 rated it did not like it
Shelves: professional
Another painful library science text.
Kaia
What was that I was saying about loving my life?
Heather
Aug 25, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
Not bad for a textbook. It could use an update to keep up with the newest technologies.
Emma
Sep 24, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Yawn. OK, it was useful for class, but not a great read. Oh good, I am done now.
Bethany
Jun 29, 2007 rated it liked it
Shelves: coursebooks
It's repetitive, tiring to read, and not the most engaging book out there, but it's a good professional resource to have around.
Holly
Jun 15, 2009 rated it did not like it
exciting reading... ok, maybe not!
Maryanne
Jan 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: librarianbooks
This was a helpful overview of developing library collections, but a little dry and tedious to read.
Thoughts and questions I have as I read this text book 4 5 May 28, 2010 08:58AM

• The Organization of Information (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Cataloging and Classification: An Introduction
  • Foundations of Library and Information Science
  • Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century : An Introduction
  • Library and Information Center Management
  • Reference and Information Services: An Introduction (Library and Information Science Text Series)
  • Developing and Maintaining Practical Archives: A How-To-Do-It Manual
  • Looking for Information: A Survey of Research on Information Seeking, Needs, and Behavior (Library and Information Science)
  • Revolting Librarians Redux: Radical Librarians Speak Out