Start by marking “Star Trek The Next Generation: Technical Manual” as Want to Read:
Star Trek The Next Generation: Technical Manual

Star Trek The Next Generation: Technical Manual

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  1,876 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The Star Trek: The Next Generation&reg Technical Manual, written by Rick Sternbach and Michael Okuda, the technical advisors to Star Trek: The Next Generation, provides
a comprehensive schematization of a Galaxy-class starship. From the bridge to the shuttlebays, from the transporter room to crews' quarters, this book provides a never-before-seen glimpse at the inner,
Published November 1st 1991 by Pocket Books/Star Trek (first published 1991)

Michael
Sep 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This thing is too geeked out even for my geekiness, but it is what it says it is, a technical manual. And for that I give it 5-stars for detail and thoroughness. An entire book of this:

"At Warp factors 1-4 the injectors fire a low frequencies, between 30 Hz and 40 Hz, and remain open for short periods, between 25 ns and 30 ns." and so on.

There are sporadic anecdotes that are interesting. Patrick Stewart asked how a warp drive worked. He was told such a device was beyond known physics. He said "
Terri Day
It's more of a reference guide than a straight through read, but I really enjoyed it. Quite possibly the geekiest book I've ever owned, it's good reference material for a fan fic, or just flipping through the pages. Ever wanted to understand replicator systems? How about read a construction chronology on the USS Enterprise D? Or how about learn about onboard antimatter generation? Probably not, but if you're a fan of the series (or any Star Trek series, for that matter), there are worse things t ...more
Anne
Jun 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heh, this was my Bible back in the day before Pocket Books stopped accepting TNG manuscripts. Ask me about Heisenberg compensators. Go on, ask me.
Daniel Kukwa
Feb 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Althought a few later tech manuals would supercede it, this remains the book that blew open the doors on behind-the-scene verisimilitude. If Star Trek's Enterprise-D was real, this would be THE cadet's guide to the ship.
Heath
Dec 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must own for the Trek Geek. Mine has been on the bookshelf for the longest time.
Derrick Feinman
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Along with the philosophy the technology of Star Trek is one of the best parts. I have always loved how Star Trek attempts to illustrate the application of scientific theories to really awesome technology. This book explains how these things work, how they fit, and make one understand the significance of some of the mundane comments and discussions on the show. If only writers would read this before writing....
Carl
May 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I got this book as a teenager, but in a move I lost it and didn't know until much later when I watched all of the Star Trek shows and wanted to dig up the book. I wound up compelled to buy it from a bookstore.
It's kinda cool to see all the thought that went into creating this fictional star ship and all the fluff for it, especially after watching the show. Kind of a cool way to continue enjoying the franchise again without repeat watching.
Aperoki
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute delight of my childhood, I would pour over the diagrams and descriptions and dream of the stars
Lake Villa District Library
Mar 13, 2017 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lake Villa District Library by: Dustin
Find this book in our catalog http://ccsp.ent.sirsi.net/client/lvdl...
Erik
Nov 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best Star Trek technical manual ever made from the source himself. Incredibly detailed, covers everything you 'd want and then more. Especially loved all the projected USS-1701-E designs!!

All other technical manuals that came after this unfortunately paled in comparison - they got dumber, with just way more pictures.
Tor.com Publishing
This book really confused me when I was younger-- it was like a D&D sourcebook, for a television show? It spawned an interest in all kinds of apocryphal writing; I can't get enough of these kinds of coffee table books, even as an adult. --MK
Peter Heinrich
Jul 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, scifi
Yes, I'm a big dork.
Jonathan Gillespie
May 27, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Star Trek Fans
Shelves: scifi, fiction
Dry, but enjoyable technical manual that I devoured as a kid. One of the designs for the next Enterprise in the back is pretty close to what was used for the NCC-1701-E.
Craig
Oct 09, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
it may hurt my street cred to admit this in public. But i own this book, and i have read it from cover to cover.
Bryan
Yes, I'm a geek.
Rahadyan
Like the later DS9 Technical Manual, good geek fun.
Efrain Guzman-Rosario
May 05, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trekkies
Shelves: reference
Interesting book.
Ian
Apr 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Worth picking up even now!
Dustin
Aug 29, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tie-in, sci-fi, reference
This is a fun read for any Trek fan and Mike Okuda's work on this is outstanding!
Roberto Zanasi
Aug 04, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantascienza
Il manuale tecnico dell'Enterprise-D.
Kellie
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Yes, I could fly the Enterprise if need be.
S.
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LCARS rule if i could just understand it!
Alicia
Aug 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Not worth your time.
Benjamin Plume
Not really worth the time I put into reading it. I'm more interested in the stories than how many windows are on the ship...
Bryn Young-roberts
Im not really into the technical aspects of the show, but this really helped me when I designed and built a model of the enterprise-D out of wood.
Bret
Jul 18, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Amusing at the time I first saw it, but since then I've come to the realization that even I am not so much of a nerd to truly appreciate the time and effort required for a book of this type.
Chris
Feb 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book a life time ago. Knew it from top to bottom.
Ross
Mar 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A must for all Trek Nerds
Timothy Boyd
Jan 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You can't be a true Trekkie without this book on your shelf. Excellent book if you want to learn more about the technology of the show, Very recommended
Kreg
May 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Good resource on TNG Treknology.
  • Star Trek Star Fleet Technical Manual
  • The Star Trek Encyclopedia
  • Star Trek: Mr. Scott's Guide to the Enterprise
  • Star Trek: The Next Generation Companion
  • The Nitpicker's Guide for Next Generation Trekkers
  • The Klingon Dictionary
  • Star Trek Compendium Rev/Ed
  • Where No One Has Gone Before: A History in Pictures (Star Trek: All)
  • Q-Squared
  • Star Trek Star Charts: The Complete Atlas of Star Trek
  • The Making of Star Trek
  • Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion
  • Relics
  • The Kobayashi Maru
  • The Continuing Mission
  • Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home (Star Trek TOS: Movie Novelizations, #4)
  • Dark Mirror
“The Starship Enterprise is not a collection of motion picture sets or a model used in visual effects. It is a very real vehicle; one designed for storytelling.” 0 likes