Start by marking “The Surgeon's Lady (Harlequin Historical Series #949)” as Want to Read:
The Surgeon's Lady (Harlequin Historical Series #949)

The Surgeon's Lady (Channel Fleet #2)

3.87  ·  Rating details ·  802 Ratings  ·  79 Reviews
As a surgeon in the Royal Navy, Lieutenant Philemon Brittle has proved his bravery countless times. But he's never known the thrill that comes with falling in love. Until he meets the beautiful Lady Laura Taunton, who has turned to nursing the wounded as solace from her unhappy past.
Philemon will need to draw upon every bit of his strength and determination to convince th
Published June 1st 2009 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Surgeon's Lady, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Surgeon's Lady

Dina
The 2nd book in the Channel Fleet series, The Surgeon's Lady starts a few months after Marrying The Captain ended. The Napoleonic Wars are still playing havoc with everyone's lives, and that's the setting of this book. You don't have to read the 1st book to understand the 2nd, but you might want to do that if you don't like spoilers because some events that took place at the end of the previous book are mentioned in this one.

Lady Laura Taunton is one of Lord Ratliffe's illegitimate daughters - t
Rane
Carla Kelly has a way of showing not glossing over like some other regency romances the hardships of war. But not the war it’s self, but the effect it has one the lives of people. How it effects the families and love ones of soldiers- off to fight battles they don’t know their be able to come home from. In Marrying The Captain Your shown the effects war has on families, and the love that soldiers live on, when their hearts are back home and their minds having to be in the heat of battle. With T ...more
Wollstonecrafthomegirl
I have such an affection for this novel. It was the first Carla Kelly I read and I was entirely caught up by the writing and the story. I've re-read it a couple of times and it holds up. The romance is lovely and the story is interesting and well paced. Every time I read it I'm taken away by it again, even though I know precisely what's going to happen.

Laura, sister to Nana from the first book in the series [seriously, read the first book, it's also so lovely and sets up the backstory which is i
Linda
Three months after MARRYING THE CAPTAIN ended, Lady Laura Thornton visited her younger half-sister Nana. They didn't know of their relationship until recently and Laura is unsure of what is going to happen when they meet for the first time. She need not have worried because she is welcomed with love.

A widow, she was forced into a loveless marriage to Sir John Taunton, a man 30 years her senior. All for the sake of producing an heir; a child that was never born. She is lonely now. She wonders wh
Verity
Jun 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kelly-carla

@ 18 y/o, Laura’s father sold her to the highest bidder to pay off his creditors. As a result, Laura’s body & self-worth have taken a lotta abuse. She had nowhere to go & noone to turn to. Her hubby (30 yrs her senior) treated her as if she served only 1 purpose, as a vessel, to crank out his heir, ‘cuz his 1st late wife had failed. Then he suffered from apoplexy & turned into an invalid. Laura got the thankless job of being his caretaker for 3 years. Now that he’s expired, she’s fin
Dana
Sep 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think Carla Kelly may be my favorite historical romance novelist who is still writing. I love that her heroes are just average men who actually have occupations other than sitting around and pretending to be rakes. I really liked the hospital setting in The Surgeon’s Lady. The romance was also sweet without being sappy. I can’t wait for the next book in this series.
Luli
You can find this review in English below.

3.5 stars.
Menos al que casi siempre puedo confiar en la señora Kelly para salir de una mala racha de lecturas.

Tengo debilidad por los héroes que dibuja esta autora; aunque podrían caer en la definición de beta-héroes, yo prefiero pensar en ellos como hombres sensatos, prudentes, respetuosos, inteligentemente paritarios y entregados a sus mujeres. *swoon*

En este caso, Philemon Brittle es todo lo anterior y más. Un hombre entregado a su oficio y que ha sac
SheLove2Read
Jun 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this story which is the sequel to Marrying the Captain. Carla Kelly is a wonderful author in that she draws you into the story in such a way that you don't want to put the book down. Philemon Brittle is a terrific romantic hero and I was glad to see him be "common"....i.e. not a Lord or Admiral or other titled gentleman. There's much to be said for the everyday man.
kris
Oct 13, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not realize when I picked this one up that it was a sequel to Marrying The Captain. OOPS.

Lady Laura Taunton has many hats: she's the base-born daughter of Viscount Ratcliffe; she's happily widowed after a pretty shitty marriage; and she's plagued by guilt! Lt. Philemon Brittle has one hat: sexy surgeon extraordinaire! SOUNDS LIKE A RECIPE FOR FEELINGS SOUP.

1. Here's the thing, though: Philemon is just...too much. He's SO perfect that his only flaw appears to be the fact that he's working A
Kristi
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank goodness medical science as come a long way! Good lord I was repelled and riveted by what surgeons had to do with people then. I felt it was well done without being too graphic.

Loved both Philemon & Laura. He's a dedicated, hard-working surgeon and she's a Lady trying to figure out what to do with herself (and recover) after her jerk husband dies. I was rooting for her.
Jan
This story blew me away. It's the best romance I've read in a while, and definitely the best Harlequin I ever read. It manages to be equally sad and distressing and hopeful at the same time. It's a story about war and love, but mostly about healing.

Laura Taunton is a bastard sold by her father to the highest bidder, which landed her in a very abusive marriage with an older man. After he falls sick, she nurses him until he dies 3 years later. A Lady and a widow, she's discovered by her unknown ha
Ilze
Very nice story, very noble and self-sacrificing characters, but the book didn't really draw me into the story emotionally. Too much "telling", not enough "showing".

IMHO, there were too many subplots for a story of this length:
- Laura and Philemon's story, which should have been the main story but almost got relegated to the background
- Laura's backstory with her father, the school and her first marriage
- the whole jumble of the medical, hospital and war subplots
- the continuation of Oliver
Liewen
Not the perfect book but exactly my favourite kind of historical romance : not so much steam (do not expect wild and steamy sex) but a thoroughly researched historical background (as usual in Carla Kelly's novels) and a nice romance with two main characters that truly match. I'm a real sucker for Regency novels with a real & realistic military or naval background, especially well-written ones as Carla Kelly's always are :)
I didn't read the first book of the series but it didn't matter at all
Shelley
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved Laura and Phil even more than Nana and Oliver, and that's pretty impressive. Laura's life was harder than Nana's because she had no one looking out for her, and she was very screwed up emotionally as a result. I loved how Phil supported her so well, and seeing them doing doctoring together was very cool. My only quibble is that they were awfully blunt with each other from the start - I'd have thought Laura would have been at least uncomfortable with some of the conversations for quite aw ...more
Trina Lore
Mar 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read these books out of order, but it didn't matter. Carla Kelly is one of those amazing rare finds who treats her readers as if they have brains, and gives us beautiful stories populated by wonderful people who we end up wishing (or pretending) were real.

I wish I wasn't making this review a condensation of all her books, but I am a lazy reader/reviewer. Suffice it to say that ALL the books I've been able to get on my kindle by this author have been AMAZING. And I will keep looking, for older
Ruth
I really liked this story. An emotionally damaged heroine - PTSD levels of emotional damage - and a naval surgeon during the Napoleonic Wars with a heart of gold. I really liked this story. It's a sweet romance with no manipulations or misunderstandings. The conflict in the story comes from dealing with her past and the horrible situation of being in an war hospital receiving troops on a daily basis coming from the front lines. Her ability to grow and forgive and his patience and love are inspir ...more
May
Lovely

I'm a medical student so I like reading historical romance with Doctor or Nurse heroine

I loved a lot of things in this book
Phill he was so so nice and compassionate. With Laura and with his patients
Nana, Oliver and little Rachel <3
Matthew & Davey and the rest of Block 4 patients
Hannah
3.5 Stars

Very sweet, but not Carla Kelly's most memorable story.
Gail
Jul 24, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the romance AND the picture of the state of medicine in the British navy during the Napoleonic wars. Very good read.
Ruth
Not quite as good as Marrying the Captain, but still a wonderful story with a heroine who finds her inner practical self and a to-die-for surgeon hero. Very enjoyable.
Kathleen
I loved the Channel Fleet series. This is my least favorite, but still good.
TJ
3.5/5.0

A little slow moving but still a wonderful, sweet romance.
R.L
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honestly, this is one of the few books I've read twice and its just so wonderful even the second time around when I know all the twists and turns I love it so much. I usually dont read these kinds of books so the fact that this made me think to myself "wow that was a good book" was a first besides "The Queens Thief" series. Usually there is some plot point, some loose end, some character that just ruins a book for me, this didn't have any of those.

Philemon is just a wonderful hero, he is kind an
Summer Hines
I don't know, there was nothing WRONG with this book. It's just that everyone in it was so . . . good. I mean, I kind of prefer a character with a few flaws. Everyone here is so honorable and brave. Damaged, but in a way that only makes them more noble, somehow. I wish there were a few more chinks in the armor, I suppose.
Ann Stokes
Apr 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Gore, blood and pain.
Rosario (http://rosario.blogspot.com/)
We meet Lady Laura Taunton at a bit of a turning point in her life. She's recently widowed and the death of her husband, meant relief, rather than bereavement. It's not just that he was a much older man her father forced her into marrying and he was obsessed with getting her pregnant. It's also that Laura spent the last few years nursing her husband after a really bad stroke, and she's glad both of them are free of this (I didn't quite get why she felt she had to do the most intimate tasks of nu ...more
Mnms
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An original setting and cast!
It's a lovely story with good dialogue and a credible romance. I enjoyed how the story unfolded, and the pace with which it did. The language did make me pause in the beginning, but as I got used to it I came to love that as well.
Truly recommendable for those of us who love the regency stories but also long for something beyond the usual.
Kaye
The Surgeon’s Lady

I wanted to love this book. I accidentally read the third book in this series first (Marrying the Royal Marine) and I devoured that one. Then I read the first book (Marrying the Captain) and it was good but not as good as MRM. I was eager to complete the series, especially since many of the reviews I read indicated the readers enjoyed this second book better than the first. Unfortunately, I am not one of those readers.

The Surgeon’s Lady seemed like it was written by a
Carrie
I lately listened to two marvelous books on audio, North and South and Morning Glory. Since then all the other books I've picked up to read have seemed unsatisfying, so I was doubly pleased to pick up this book by a favorite author. In fact, I pulled it off my to-read shelf precisely because I was sure Carla Kelly would provide a good story, and she did.

For one thing, it's wonderful to step into a historical romance that isn't peopled with Dukes and glittering accounts of balls and expensive clo
Sbuchler
Jul 27, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Sbuchler by: gail dayton
Shelves: read-in-2011, romance
Genre: Regency Romance

Unlike most regency romances, this one was not set in the upper echelons of society. The heroine, Laura Taunton is the illegitimate daughter of a lord, and the widow of a baronet but her experience of upper class life was not something anyone would want to repeat. The hero, Philemon Brittle, is a surgeon for the Royal Navy and is devoted to his job, and the grandson of a pig farmer. Despite the differences in their backgrounds, their romance is sweet and touching and believ
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Mar 02, 2015 11:11AM
  • The Sergeant's Lady (The Arringtons and Wright-Gordons, #2)
  • Lord Braybrook's Penniless Bride
  • Beauty and the Scarred Hero
  • Miss Jacobson's Journey (Rothschild Trilogy, #1)
  • In for a Penny
  • After the Kiss
  • His Cavalry Lady
  • An Improper Aristocrat
  • The Secret Pearl
  • The Accidental Wedding (Devil Riders, #4)
  • Seduced by the Scoundrel (Mills & Boon Historical) (Danger & Desire, Book 2)
  • Miss Winthorpe's Elopement (Belston & Friends #1)
  • A Lady Awakened (Blackshear Family, #1)
  • A Loyal Companion
  • Indiscreet
  • McAlistair's Fortune  (Providence, #3)
  • Conor's Way
  • September Moon

Although Carla Kelly is well known among her readers as a writer of Regency romance, her main interest (and first writing success) is Western American fiction—more specifically, writing about America's Indian Wars. Although she had sold some of her work before, it was not until Carla began work in the National P
More about Carla Kelly

Channel Fleet (3 books)
  • Marrying The Captain (Channel Fleet, #1)
  • Marrying The Royal Marine (Channel Fleet, #3)

Romance Deals

• Wild Kisses (Wildwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Dangerous Engagement (The Regency Spies of London, #3)
  • Trouble in Paradise
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Staying For Good (Most Likely To, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Miss Fortune (Lear Family Trilogy #3)
  • Almost Like Love
  • Party Girl
  • Cross My Heart
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Grave Secrets (Rogue River #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Married by Monday (The Weekday Brides, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • If I Didn't Know Better (The Callaways #9)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Beauty Queen (Lear Family Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Life After Wife (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #3)
  • Incentive
    $3.99 $1.99
  • It Started With a Kiss (Sequoia Lake, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fiancé by Friday (The Weekday Brides, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Savage Urges (The Phoenix Pack, #5)
  • The Color of Water in July
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Knight Avenged (Circle of Seven, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Taken by Tuesday (The Weekday Brides, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kushiel's Dart (Phèdre's Trilogy, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • A Forever Thing (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead in Her Tracks (Rogue Winter, #2)
  • Flirting with Felicity
  • Long, Hot Texas Summer
  • You'll Think of Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Lily Love
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Forever is the Worst Long Time
    $4.99 $1.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet as Sin (Bad Habit, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dollmaker (The Forgotten Files, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fifth Grave Past the Light (Charley Davidson, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Heart of Betrayal (The Remnant Chronicles, #2)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Shameless (White Lies Duet #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Burn for You (Slow Burn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Be Mine Forever (St. Helena Vineyard, #4)
  • Playing It Safe
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Lake (Sweet Lake #1)
  • The Barefoot Summer
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Smart Girl (The Girl's #3)
  • Falling Together
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Warrior's Revenge
  • Lily's White Lace
    $4.49 $1.99
  • A Viscount's Proposal (The Regency Spies of London, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fear For Me: A Novel of the Bayou Butcher (For Me, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hangman (The Forgotten Files #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone Walls (True Heroes, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Things I Can't Forget (Hundred Oaks, #3)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Flashpoint (Troubleshooters, #7)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Break Me (Corrupted Hearts, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Shark (Forgotten Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Black and Green (The Ghost Bird, #11)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • The Wager
  • Enrage (Eagle Elite )
    $2.99 $1.49
  • Spiral of Need (The Mercury Pack, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Treasured by Thursday (The Weekday Brides, #7)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Infraction (Players Game, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Fated (Dark Protectors, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Material Girl (The Fancy Lives of the Lear Sisters, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Darkness (The Remnant Chronicles, #3)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Summer in Napa (St. Helena Vineyard, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Devil's Daughter (Hidden Sins #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fraternize (Players Game, #1)
  • P.S. from Paris
  • Love, Lucas
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Rules of Regret
    $3.99 $1.99
  • In Shining Whatever (Three Magic Words Trilogy, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Follow Me (Corrupted Hearts, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweet Girl (The Girl's Series Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lost and Found Sisters (Wildstone, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Trouble with Tomboys (Tommy Creek #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • All There Is (Juniper Hills, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul and Blade (Blood and Bone, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • To Win Her Favor (Belle Meade Plantation #2)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Nobody's Baby But Mine (Chicago Stars, #3)
    $4.74 $1.99
  • Delta: Redemption (Delta, #3)
  • The Curiosity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dealing Double (Heartbreaker, #2)
  • Mariana
    $16.99 $2.99
  • Spin (Spin, #1)
    $7.74 $0.99
  • On Her Father's Grave (Rogue River #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Heartbreakers (The Heartbreakers Chronicles, #1)
  • Before Goodbye
    $1.99 $0.99
  • Blood and Bone (Blood and Bone, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Hot Shot (Hostile Operations Team, #5)
  • The Way Life Should Be: A Novel