Start by marking “God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible” as Want to Read:
God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible

God Hates You, Hate Him Back: Making Sense of the Bible

"This book absolutely crucifies the argument for a benevolent creator. What's more, it uses the creationist's most-cited source to do it." - dailyatheist.net God Hates You, Hate Him Back makes the ultimate case for the claim that the God of the Bible is the most wicked character in the pages of history. With a wit as dry as a martini, and the cross examination techniques o ...more
Paperback, International Edition, 296 pages
Published November 16th 2009 by Dangerous Little Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about God Hates You, Hate Him Back, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about God Hates You, Hate Him Back

Bakari
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2010-books-read
“If you will not give glory unto my name saith the LORD ...I will spread dung upon your faces.” (Malachi 2:2-3 NIV)

Out of all the atheist books I’ve read, CJ Werleman’s God Hates You is unique in that it’s a critical study and summary of the Bible itself. Basically Werleman provides a critical study and summary of each book of the Bible to support his claim that the fictional character God has utter disdain for the human race.

I really have to thank Werleman (whom is someone I follow on Twitter)
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Holy shit! Great read, it took me a while to read this as I simultaneously read the bible (Watered down Gideons version I stole from a hotel) verifying and marking down all the insane and crazy shit that's in it. The author summarizes, breaks down, and ridicules all 66 chapters of biblical Lunacy one by one. I was blown away by some of the inconceivable passages.

Here are a couple good ones...

"If you will not give glory unto my name saith the LORD ... I will spread dung upon your faces." - God (
Angel
Dec 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: atheists and other non-religious, folks who resent having the Bible thumpers
I have some mixed feelings about this book. Let me start with the negative and get it out of the way. It is a very dense book in terms of the text. This does make it a bit difficult to read unless you do so in small segments as the text is a bit on the heavy side. That the book's layout is a bit cluttered (visually speaking, not much white space) does not help neither.

Now, leaving that aside, this is a book that is a must read. This is the book you need for when some Christian apologist, especi
Todd Martin
The idea behind God Hates You, Hate Him Back is a good one – basically Werleman steps through the books of the bible providing color-commentary on the many atrocities found therein (as well as a body count tally of those God murders). The book (like the one he ridicules) is broken into two sections (old and new testaments).

Describing the old testament, there are some occasionally amusing sections but given the rich material and moronic nature of much of the book (I mean, where else are you going
September
Oct 23, 2014 rated it really liked it
Initially, before I'd read 15-20 pages I found myself getting downright angry. Furious! Not at the author. Yes, he has a special flavour of snark that takes some acclimatizating to, and some may never get there. But this God of the Christian Bible... It was like I had already hacked down the huge weed over recent years, but I needed to dig out the root. Reading through this book was like digging that out, revealing more and more of the root tendrils and how deeply pervasive the belief system had ...more
Andrew
Jan 31, 2012 rated it really liked it
The content of this book is great. Werleman breaks down the Christian bible, chapter by chapter, and summarizes it while pointing out the inconsistencies, the absurdities, and all of the many instances where the main characters (as it were) are genocidal, homophobic, misogynistic, misanthropic with humour and wit. I read the bible back in high school, and I was impressed by all the craziness I've either forgotten since then, or that went over my head the first time around, like the fact that no ...more
Book
Jun 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: atheism-religion
CJ Werleman uses his wit and humor to go over all sixty-six books or chapters of the bible.

He uses a unique perspective to give you an honest explanation of each chapter. In a funny, irreverent kind of way it inspires you to question not only the veracity of the bible but its message. It also highlights a lot of eye-opening passages that should rock the foundation of any believer.

Positives:
6. Inspirational

Negatives:
Joshua Gouge
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I have read many books of Bible criticism and this is by far one of the best I have ever read. Mr. Werleman breaks down each book of the Bible. Each book is then restated in a humorous, modern-day, true to original version, untainted by the rosy-colored paint with which priests and politicians and fundamentalists have tried to cover them in attempts to Sesame Street their brutality and make them palatable to the people of today. God stands with machine gun in hand, figuratively speaking, ready t ...more
Jim
May 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Ok. yes I know the title is off-putting. It is meant to be because this is satire. Basically one atheist's look at the Bible...chapter by chapter.

Mostly fairly dry reading punctuated by some rib-splittingly humorous observations, it does make you stop and ask yourself how there can be so much violence in a book supposedly dedicated to peace. As an atheist myself that is not really for me to wrestle with however!

Anyway, can't say it was the best written book I have ever read, but if you atheists
Sarah Jessee
Mar 26, 2011
N.
Sep 17, 2016 rated it liked it
This is one of the finer book reports on the sixty books about the bible I have ever read.

And given that my dad have me an eBook of this title, I had no expectations at all.

Just like the book cover said, the humor is quite dry. And I did laugh at his chapter comparing the books of the four apostles and note the contradictions. I don't think I'll forget Jesus riding three steeds anytime soon.

I would recommend this to anyone who has patience with analysis of old scrapbook stories. And reddit Athei
MJ
Feb 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Having learned my catechism in the 1950’s as a Catholic we were never encouraged to read the Bible on our own, that was a practice for Protestants seeing how Protestants didn’t have the luxury of well-educated priests to interrupt it for them. So I must say I had never read the Bible, God Hates you Hate him back is a great Spark Notes version, it’s hilarious and in my opinion speaks the much needed truth to the much overblown power this book has had over people’s lives for far too many years.
Glen Boothby
Nov 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Good start but the second half of the analysis of the Old Testament is very dry.
During the Old Testament the author keeps a track of deaths caused by God. It's a good idea, but it's full of errors. For a couple of examples:
- The total at the end of Genesis is wrong.
- Samson is wrongly called Solomon in Judges.
- Some deaths mentioned in the text are missing in the total and vise versa.

I liked this as a humorous summery of the Bible - but it's not perfect.
ron btdtbttsawio
Apr 12, 2014 rated it liked it
The author examines every book of the NIV bible and points out the contradictions, plagiarisms, and the horrible actions of the old testament god.
Besides all that, it is like reading a condensed version of all the unfamiliar books in the bible that no one reads.
I recommend this book as it is quite an eye opener, but it will be offensive to many people because of the sarcastic tone of the writing and the odd bit of x rated humour.
Mlg
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
A somewhat comic look at the Old and New Testament from an atheist's point of view. He examines the contradictions found in the Bible, the blood thirsty nature of God by keeping a body count, and he debunks some of the common myths about the Bible.
If you are a Christian, it would be an interesting book to read.
Nick Stengel
Jul 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
The writing style is quite juvenile and flip. It's certainly a rich subject area, and anyone who reads the whole bible instead of the "salad bar" quotes fed to us in Sunday services might enjoy this, but the writing alienated me entirely. I did like the running total of the people murdered by God, however.
David Sergey
Aug 05, 2011 rated it really liked it
I read bible at age of sixteen right after I finished reading Lord of the Rings (and Silmarilion) and Frank Herbert's Dune series. So my impression of Holy Book was somewhat similar to what Author wrote.

Book is well paced with bits of humor and reason in it, and I finoshed it in one night. However it's a vit over simplified text, so four stars.
Melissa
Nov 24, 2017 added it
Shelves: did-not-finish
DNF
Hard to get past the bad humor and the author just sounds hateful and very angry. Not only that he just picks random bible verses from each of the chapters and says a few things then rushes to the next one. I guess I was just expecting a better written book and something more in depth then a few snide remarks.
Andrew Sharp
Feb 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book was basically a summary of the bible with snarky and sarcastic comments thrown in. It was entertaining in certain parts but if you are already famine with the bible, it's kind of a waste of time.
Linda Macchia-howe
Dec 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Hysterical. Showcases the absolute lunacy of the Old Testament. I kept thinking "God's Chosen People"? I'm glad he didn't choose me!!! You know all the stories, you are just afraid to admit how utterly ridiculous they are. C.J. Werleman is not afraid.
Alex Villepique
Jan 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very useful book if one wish to argue with religious fanatics, although I recommend to person to compare citations with the Bible, since some things are taken out of the contest. But majority is on the spot.
Mike
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: atheism, religion
Very enjoyable read IF on the proviso you are not a big fan of Jesus and his dad!!

Three of my friends have read my copy and all have loved it. So there is a recommendation for you.
Tami
Jan 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I want to read it again. Makes you see things in an interesting way.
Travis Smith
surprisingly good
Carla Roberts
Dec 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: atheism
I loved this book but Christians will find it quite confronting.
Tomislav D.
Feb 01, 2019 rated it did not like it
I could have done without the author's attempts at being funny. Other than that, a mediocre read.
Albert
Aug 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very Funny! I enjoyed the running body count.
Samantha Rizzo
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
A great breakdown of the bible for those who aren’t familiar with its aspects. The author does take on an obviously biased stance against religion, but one that is completely founded. It reads as a criticism of all religious tenants, and rightly so. If you can read through this and still wind up a believer at the end then you didn’t pay attention.
Ines
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book won't convince anyone who is religious, and to the rest of us this is just preaching to the choir. But it is a pretty fun read, if a bit overly sarcastic at times.

And the Bible must be one of the most vile, repugnant books ever written. I'm generally against any violence against books, but this ghastly thing deserves to be purged from the planet.
Womankind Worldwi...: Feminism and religion 17 76 Nov 24, 2014 11:22AM
  • What Do You Do With a Chocolate Jesus?: An Irreverent History of Christianity
  • The Christian Delusion: Why Faith Fails
  • The Religion Virus: Why We Believe in God: An Evolutionist Explains Religion's Incredible Hold on Humanity
  • The Fallacy of Fine-Tuning: Why the Universe Is Not Designed for Us
  • The Atheist's Introduction to the New Testament: How the Bible Undermines the Basic Teachings of Christianity
  • The Atheist's Bible: An Illustrious Collection of Irreverent Thoughts
  • Atheism Explained: From Folly to Philosophy
  • Why Are You Atheists So Angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless
  • H.L. Mencken on Religion
  • Everything You Know About God is Wrong: The Disinformation Guide to Religion
  • The Cambridge Companion to Atheism
  • The God Virus: How Religion Infects Our Lives and Culture
  • Attack of the Theocrats!: How the Religious Right Harms Us All — and What We Can Do About It
  • 2000 Years of Disbelief
  • Liars for Jesus: The Religious Right's Alternate Version of American History Vol. 1
  • Losing Faith in Faith: From Preacher to Atheist
  • 50 Voices of Disbelief
  • God, the Devil, and Darwin: A Critique of Intelligent Design Theory
“When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself.” Peter O’Toole” 2 likes
“American political activist Anne Lamott stated: “You can safely assume that you’ve created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.” 1 likes