Start by marking “Un amour de Swann (À la recherche du temps perdu, #1.2)” as Want to Read:
Un amour de Swann (À la recherche du temps perdu, #1.2)

Un amour de Swann (À la recherche du temps perdu #1.2)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  1,743 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Un amour de Swann est un fragment de À la recherche du temps perdu, la deuxième partie de Du côté de chez Swann.

Son sujet en est l'amour et la jalousie qu'éprouve Swann pour Odette de Crécy. C'est pourquoi il a depuis toujours fait l'objet d'éditions séparées, comme s'il constituait un petit roman autonome.
Published 2008 by Cideb Editrice (first published 1913)

To ask other readers questions about Un amour de Swann, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un amour de Swann

Manny
For the Celebrity Death Match Review Tournament, Hamlet (4) versus À la recherche du temps perdu (29)

[A bar in Elsinore. HAMLET is slumped in front of a large collection of empty glasses]

HAMLET:

O, that this too too solid flesh would melt
Thaw and resolve itself into a dew!
Or that the Everlasting had not fix'd
His canon 'gainst self-slaughter! O God! God!
How weary, stale, flat and unprofitable,
Seem to me all the uses of this world!
Fie on't! ah fie! 'tis an unweeded garden,
That grows to seed; thing
Marcello S
Jan 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sinceramente, che gli vuoi dire a Proust?

Ok, a volte la prende un po' alla larga.
E Swann e Odette sono così indolenti che ogni tanto due testate gliele daresti per risvegliarli.
Pero, dai, livelli altissimi.

Non ero molto convinto. E invece. [82/100]

“E come, accingendosi a baciare Odette per la prima volta, aveva cercato di imprimersi nella memoria il viso ch’ella aveva avuto per tanto tempo ai suoi occhi e che il ricordo di quel bacio stava per trasformare, così ora, allo stesso modo, gli sarebb
Rachel
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know Proust is supposed to be amazing - maybe reading in the original french was just too much because it's discouragingly dense - the text just goes on and on with extremely rare paragraph markings. The thing about Proust is that he really goes into such minute detail - sometimes it's interesting and insightful, sometimes it seems rambling and irrelevant.

He does a great job of character development and a surprisingly realistic description of the details of human behavior and thinking, but it
Katerina
Jan 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a definition of love in 200 pages, and then you realize that the object is of no importance, only the subject itself.
Vanja Petrović
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
,,Kad bi mu pogled naišao, na njegovom stolu, na Odetinu fotografiju, ili kad bi ona sama došla da ga poseti, nije lako mogao da identifikuje lik od krvi i mesa, ili od hartije, s onim bolnim stalnim nemirom što je boravio u njemu. Pomislio bi gotovo iznenađen: ,To, ona!' kao da bi nam odjednom pokazali, otelovljenu pred nama, neku našu bolest, a mi ne bismo našli da liči na ono od čega patimo.''

Ivy-Mabel Fling
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A marvellous study of obsession and jealousy: Proust's ability to understand the psyche is second to none!
Frederik
3,5
Kirstine
I got through this fueled primarily by frustration.

It's the second part of Swann's Way and truly a beautiful, poignant piece of literature. Others have pointed out that, were you to remove if from the context of 'In Search of Lost Time' it could nearly - if not completely - stand on it's own as a novella. Which, as a reader, was the problem. It felt removed from the story that was presented in part one of Swann's Way, which was a genuine pleasure to read, because it goes from the narrator's (we
Andrea
J'ai attaqué Proust avec ce 'fragment', en fait la deuxième partie de "Du côté de chez Swann", premier tome de 'A LA RECHERCHE DU TEMPS PERDU'.
Une petite dose homéopathique donc, à priori abordable. Je m'y suis mise et voilà que j'ai été assiégée des phrases interminables qui tournent autour du pot, m'embrouillant et me perdant en route: tout pour me déplaire! Et pourtant...il y avait quelque chose de captivant là-dedans, malgré cette écriture à rallonge qui m'a rebutée au début, et j'ai persist
Sebastien
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book, although I didn't find it as enchanting and fascinatingly mystical and mysterious as Swann's Way. Un Amour de Swann was definitely more linear and straight-forward, which was a little sad in my opinion. I was actually starting to enjoy Proust's way of jumping back and forth and interweaving thoughts and stories together. It gave the story in Swann's Way a timeless sort of quality.

In Un Amour de Swann, Swann is the main character, and basically he's an aristocrat who has too
Sheyda Dehghan

ظاهرا که یه ماجرای عاشقانه بود اما در باطن به مسائل مهمتری اشاره می کرد، مسائل حقیقی که توجه آدمو به اهدافش، شخصیتش، روابطش و... جلب می کنن
آدم تا به بلوغ فکری نرسه نمیتونه عشق حقیقی رو درک کنه و سوان هم بعد از همه ی ماجراهاش، به بلوغ فکری رسید پس نمیتونسته "عشق" باشه. صرفا حماقتی بود که گریبان هرکسی رو ممکنه بگیره! و تنها تفاوتی که در این نوع ماجراها میتونه وجود داشته باشه تاثیریه که در شخص بجا میمونه؛ نوع درسی که میگیره!
نویسنده از دل یه موضوع بی اهمیت، خواننده رو به نتایج خوبی رهنمون میشه

از آنج
Bogdan
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: french-lit
It is quite an interesting subject. I haven't read to many books dealing with jealousy, but this one seems to me one of the masterpieces.
One of the major problems that prevented me from giving it a higher rating is the style of Marcel Proust. I am not a big fan of Mr. Proust style. His paragraphs span for more than 1 page. His phrases are almost always composed, having more than one subordinates. And he uses a lot of divagations, some of them huge enough to be paragraphs of their own. For exampl
Jehan   BenYousef
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: re-read
قراءة هذه الرواية بغير اللغة الفرنسية هو إغتيال لها ، لحد الأن لم أجد ترجمة جيدة لها ، قرأتها أولا باللغة العربية ، الأن أقراها باللغة الفرنسية بشكل متقطع جدا ..من أجمل المشاهد في الرواية هي مشهد الرجل الذي كبر ، فجأة يتذكر "المادلين" وهي نوع من الحلوى يشرب عادة مع الشاي ، تلك المادلين التي تذوقها تحيله إلى زمنه الضائع الذي يبحث عنه أو هكذا تصورت، يتذكر عمته ، وطقوس المادلين في طفولته ...يحصل لنا نفس الشيء ، غالبا مع العطور ، تشتم عطرا ليحيلك إلى حقبة زمنية أخرى ..سأعيد الكتابة عن الرواية وأجزائ ...more
Talita Lima
Migrei entre "que genial!" e "por que ele está falando isso exaustivamente e em parágrafos intermináveis?" frequentemente durante todo o livro. Foi a minha experiência com o Proust, e apesar da leitura não ter sido tão entusiasmante e natural quanto eu esperava - consegui engatar no livro só depois da terceira tentativa!, o que pra mim é coisa raríssima - espero poder dar outra chance ao hombre. No mais, além das referências interessantes que ele faz com aparente propriedade a outros ramos da ar ...more
Stefanie
Jul 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realized about halfway through this book, which I found amazingly engaging, is that I have utterly no interesting in seeing the movie (I have a copy published in conjunction with the Jeremy Irons-starring film). Seeing people do foolish things for love (or self-interest or obsession) holds no interest for me, but reading the eloquent and insightful analysis of each step, each feeling, of the relationship was fantastic.
Emily
Jul 01, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: français
Je n'aimais jamais des livres à propros les difficultés des riches.
Annabella
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school, classics
Il ne faut jamais discuter sur les romans ni sur les pièces de théâtre. Chacun a sa manière de voir et vous pouvez trouver détestable ce que j'aime le mieux.
Briana Grenert
Apr 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Swann, you idiot. You're the problem, not Odette.
*shakes fists*
Victoria
Dec 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this edition and reading the French and English side by side.
Roberta
There were no chapters! NO CHAPTERS! Which is fine, really. I mean, why not? The unusual non-stop continuation of extra long adverbs (describing a particular piece of music for example) was intriguing at first, of course. But then my mind wondered....when am I supposed to put down the book and eat a cookie? When am I supposed to feel as if time has come to get up, and get a glass of milk to go with my cookie? When do I inhale deeply after a satisfactory sum-up of the protagonist's fresh musings? ...more
Giulia Di Marco
E va bene l'amore, e va bene il tormento, e va bene la passione... ma riempire 200 pagine solo di riflessioni e paturnie mi sembra un po' esagerato. Senza nulla togliere a Proust e al modo favoloso in cui crea metafore e artifici retorici vari, purtroppo devo ammettere che la storia lascia a desiderare: non c'è nessun progresso, non c'è né inizio né fine, non c'è quasi evoluzione nei personaggi.

All'inizio mi ero ingannata di poter paragonare Swann a Emilio Brentani e Odette ad Angiolina, ma ment
Valentine
3.5/5
Je pensais que j'allais détester ce livre, honnêtement. Et en réalité, ça a été le contraire. Ce n'est pas le coup de cœur de l'année, mais c'était agréable à lire - bien qu'un peu long sur la fin. Les personnages sont bien développés, complexes, et je me suis attachée à Swann. Quant à l'écriture, j'ai plutôt accroché avec, contrairement à ce que je pensais !
Donc, ce livre a été une bonne surprise dans l'ensemble.
Justin Evans
Mar 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
It's nice to have more Proust translations, and Nelson's version of this bit of Swann's Way is nicely done. I'm still not sure this is really the best way to introduce someone to the work as a whole, but if you're not ready to dive into volume one, I guess it makes sense. The major drawback here is that OUP has crammed so many words onto each page; the reading experience is far less pleasant than the Modern Library's spacious layout.

Very solid introduction, too.
Jim
May 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A story about Swann's love, I suppose. But also about how he feels about many other things. I can't speak to the English translation, but if it tracks well with the original French, author Proust is a talented writer. His narratives seem to me to work especially well. He also reinforced for me, how beautiful a well constructed long sentence can be. I'm not sure I can recommend this book, as I simply don't find this genre all that interesting. Then again, some might.
Matija
Feb 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zaista izvanredna knjiga. Knjiga o ljubavi, opsesiji, ljubomori, razočarenju i još mnogo toga. Teška knjiga za čitanje zbog svoje forme, ali toliko prisna svakom od nas.
Prvi deo knjige je odlučan, dok sam u drugom delu očekivao kraj koji nikako da dodje.
Axel
May 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good, but extremely dense and difficult to read.
Lydia Hind
Aug 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017-reads, novels
Un récit douloureux d'un amour éperdu..
Michele
Jun 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Retour tardif vers mes études en littérature avec les madeleines et les amours de Swann...
Daniel
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: essentials, 2017
Uuesti lugedes oskan ma juba hinnata vahele jäetud lõike. Ainult et kui mina nii pikkade lausetega kirjutaks, oleks õppejõud kohe tõre.
Erika Mohn
Tre stelle solamente, si, ma per Charles Swann, che ha ingannato se stesso consapevolmente e, soprattutto, fino all'ultima battuta! E mi scusi Egregio Proust, ma 3 stelle anche a lei per il suo narratore che ha deriso il povero sciocco di Swann e me, povera lettrice che si è dovuta sorbire i suoi interminabili periodi!
  • Leviathan
  • Salammbô
  • La symphonie pastorale
  • The Man Who Watched Trains Go By
  • The Hothouse
French novelist, best known for his 3000 page masterpiece À la recherche du temps perdu (Remembrance of Things Past or In Search of Lost Time), a pseudo-autobiographical novel told mostly in a stream-of-consciousness style. Born in the first year of the Third Republic, the young Marcel, like his narrator, was a delicate child from a bourgeois family. He was active in Parisian high society during t ...more
More about Marcel Proust

À la recherche du temps perdu (7 books)
  • Swann's Way (In Search of Lost Time, #1)
  • In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower (In Search of Lost Time, #2)
  • The Guermantes Way  (In Search of Lost Time, #3)
  • Sodom and Gomorrah (In Search of Lost Time, #4)
  • La Prisonnière (À la recherche du temps perdu, #5)
  • Albertine disparue (À la recherche du temps perdu, #6)
  • Time Regained (In Search of Lost Time, #7)
“Quando Odette deixasse de ser para ele uma criatura sempre ausente, cobiçada, imaginária, quando o sentimento que ele tinha por ela não fosse mais aquela mesma perturbação misteriosa que lhe causava a frase da sonata e sim afeto, reconhecimento, quando se estabelecessem entre ambos relações normais que poriam fim à loucura e à tristeza dele, então sem dúvida os atos da vida de Odette lhe pareceriam si mesmos pouco interessantes.” 2 likes
“Kao god što se pametan čovek neće plašiti da će ispasti glup u očima drugog pametnog čoveka, tako se i otmen čovek plaši da će njegova otmenost promaći ne nekom velikom gospodinu, nego prostaku.
Tri četvrtine napora da se bude duhovit i tri četvrtine sujetnih laži koje su, otkako je sveta, prosuli ljudi koje je to samo unižavalo, sve je to bilo radi nižih od njih.”
1 likes