Start by marking “Dragon's Kin” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Kin

Dragon's Kin (Pern (Publication Order) #17)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  8,327 Ratings  ·  200 Reviews
Beginning with the classic Dragonriders of Pern, Anne McCaffrey has created a complex, endlessly fascinating world uniting humans and great telepathic dragons. Millions of devoted readers have soared on the glittering wings of Anne’s imagination, following book by book the evolution of one of science fiction’s most beloved and honored series. Now, for the first time, Anne ...more
Published November 25th 2003 by Del Rey (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Kin, please sign up.

Karen Wyle
Sep 12, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
I've read many books by Anne McCaffrey over the years, including several in her Dragonrider series, but since reading Dragonwriter: A Tribute to Anne McCaffrey and Pern, a collection of tributes to McCaffrey, I've been reading more of that series. This book is one of the better ones. Like many of the others (e.g. The Dolphins of Pern, and the story "Runner of Pern" in A Gift of Dragons: Illustrated Stories), it provides a wealth of new detail about some previously mentioned aspect of Pernese soc ...more
Gypsydawn
Aug 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wondered if son would wreck the series by changing the format but was totally delighted to find I was every bit as engrossed as before with Anne's works.
On the strength of this went out and purchased the next 3 books of the Pern collection.

L.A. Catron
May 30, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dragons
I have always adored Anne McCaffrey's writing, so I was more than willing to give Todd a break and check out his style. I was curious to see how he'd continue his mother's legacy.

He got off to a rough start with some dense descriptions and nearly undecipherable family-trees. I slogged on. His skill warmed up a bit as the book went on but there were still quite a few places were fewer words would have sufficed.

I met a few characters who were okay. The best wasn't even a main character (though I
Darlene
May 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: McCaffrey fans
Recommended to Darlene by: Anne McCaffrey's name
Sometimes a person has to do with what they can afford and/or find at the time. Found, at the library the hardback and the audio CDs of this book available at the same time! Score! And I own the next four hardbacks waiting for me on my own bookshelves. Problem with those is I don't have the audio/Audible versions to help me out. So it may take a while until I can read them.

Meanwhile, I had a lot of fun reading/listening to this. Dick Hill did the narration. And I think he did a better job acting
MizzThurzday Adamz
It was good, I'm liking the highlights of other species on PERN. Though this is typical of the McCaffery formula, right down to the snarky, just for the sake of snark character that highlights the need of the author's to vent personal frustrations.
Ron
Sep 05, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Unlike many other creators of alternate worlds, Anne McCaffery continues to mine fresh ore from the soil of her imagined reality. Her storytelling is good, too.
Valerie
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Valerie by: free
Shelves: fantasy-sf
I expected not to like this because of the collaboration, but it was alright. I did enjoy learning something about Pern outside the Dragonriders.
Jill Smith
May 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
BOOK REVIEW By Jill Smith © April 2008

Do you have a favorite author? I do. Anne McCaffrey has been a staple reading diet of mine since my teens. My all time read and re-read titles being ‘The Ship Who Sang’, ‘Decision at Doona’ and ‘Restoree’. As Science Fiction/Fantasy authors go she is a classic, and now her son is following in her footsteps. I thought this was a recent release but find on my search of ‘The Worlds of Anne McCaffrey’ website that it was released in 2003.

Returning to the world A
Kathy Martin
Jul 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story that takes place in the early years on Pern. The next threadfall is sixteen years away and a miner named Natalan is beginning a mine and hoping to make it a hold. Kindan is the youngest son of the the man who is bonded to the watchwher. Watchwhers are useful in mining because they can sense bad air and gases. But one of the men who came with Natalan, his uncle Tarik, is working against Natalan and subtly sabotaging his efforts to have a successful mine.

When a cave in kills Kindan
Tony Pucci
Aug 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this book! Having read (and loved) everything Anne McCaffrey has written in the Pern world, I was anxious about reading the books her son Todd had written for Pern. I needn't have worried, he seems to have the same feel for Pern. These are character-driven books. Most of the characters, except for a few cliche baddies, have a lot of depth to them, and as the reader you develop a lot of empathy for the characters. So as another immersion into the world of Pern, this book was comfo ...more
Niki Beecher
I read the Pern books long ago. Decided to re-read in "chronological order". Then I got to the ones Todd McCaffrey wrote, both in conjunction with his mother and on his own. I made it through the first, Dragon's Kin, which wasn't TOO bad, and the second, Dragon Harper, which was okay, then got through about half of Dragon's Fire, and now a quarter of the way into Dragon Heart, I just can't go on. When I look at the ratings, I'm astonished to see his books rated as high as hers...is it just loyal ...more
Maree
Dec 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was kind of concerned when I started this book and realized that it wasn't going to be about the usual Pernese dragons. Instead, it was about mining and werewatchers, which everyone knows are just badly created dragons. A mistake.

Or...maybe not? :D I was pretty taken aback by the new story emerging from what I assumed was a dank and dull mine shaft. This book is actually an awesome addition to Pern, and I have to say, that's what I love about this series, long and varied as it is. It's actuall
Charity
Jul 03, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The writing in this book was TERRIBLE. It was like a middle school kid wrote it. The writing was a little jumpy and not very descriptive. The writing was just.... gosh, it was bad. However, the storyline itself wasn't too shabby. It's the only thing that kept me reading this book.

This was my first Pern novel and I've learned not to read anything written by Anne McCaffrey's son. I've yet to read anything by Anne, but I'm not going to let her son's terrible writing sway me from her. If she really
MFE
Aug 20, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Whilst the basic story-line is one worth telling, as it does build upon the lore of Pern by dedicating a story to the often-neglected watch-whers, it is rather poorly written.

The difference in writing style between Todd and Anne is very much chalk and cheese; it is evident that Todd lacks Anne's attention to detail, descriptive prowess, and ability to pace a story appropriately. This is a shame, since the story in itself has the potential to be a charming one. The characters are flat and lifeles
Elizabeth R.
It was OK. I wouldn't recommend it as a first or one of the first Pern books one reads. I was a fairly big fan of Anne McCaffrey a couple of decades ago, especially the Pern books. Saw this used recently and thought it might be fun to read a book about watch-whers and their people. It did fulfill that goal, plus some of the Pernese mining culture stuff was interesting.
It seemed like a slow starter, and I thought there were usually more visuals in Pern books. Overall I'm glad I read it, but very
Joey V.
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
When I review a book, I tend to focus on the negatives. I have a natural tendency towards deconstruction. So this time, let me first say what I DID like: New Pass, new characters. I love the continuing saga of the Ninth Pass characters and their children/grandchildren. But I do so enjoy visiting the previous passes and seeing where the history comes from. And while this is my first book of the Third Pass, I've read a bit of a preview from the next book in the chronological order, and it appears ...more
Bonnie Owen
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the world Anne McCaffrey created with Pern and this was the first book I've read that her son, Todd McCaffrey, authored about Pern. He's got his mother's talent and I really enjoyed this story. It involves Kinden, who suffers a family tragedy in the mining camp, and how he overcomes the obstacles thrown in his way with the help of his friend, Nuella, a blind girl who is being kept secret by her family. Kindan longs to become a Harper, but it becomes his duty to train the new watch-wher, w ...more
Jane Irish Nelson
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is a very moving story about using one's talents and abilities despite any handicaps one might have. Very little is known about watch-whers, the distant cousins of the dragons of Pern, but when young Kindan is chosen to receive a watch-wher's egg, he must suddenly learn how to train it. He is helped by his friend Nuella, who has secrets of her own. In addition Kindan learns when to listen and observe, and when to speak; and that secrets can be dangerous. Very believable characters. Highly r ...more
Robin
Aug 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Kindan wants to become a Harper, but he is expected to become a miner, just like the rest of his family. When his father and older brothers die in a cave-in, along with the camp's last remaining watch-wher, Kindan realizes that he must train the new watch-wher or the mine will have to be closed.

Selflessly, he trains Kisk to help the miners, until there is another cave-in...
Terri Olinger
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
So awesome!!!!!

I am not going to be able to forget this one for a long time¡!¡! I have had started this book as a paper back a few years ago and I never got the chance to finish it. Also this is the first time I have ever read a book by Anne and Todd!!! I am very satisfied with this one instead and I can't wait to read some more from Todd!!!!
Evelynn
Nov 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I quite enjoyed this book. The storytelling style was slihgtly different than I am used to and I love the characters of Dragonflight etc so much I missed them. However, I grew to love Kindan and the Camp. I did find the lengthy shift of POV near the end a little off putting. Overall I think the story was well constructed.
Summer
Jun 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pern's dragons continue and now we get to know Watchwher's!

Watchwher's have been around as long as dragons in the world of Pern but almost all knowledge on them has been lost. In this 4th book of Pern, we meet more of the incredible character of Pern as they work to learn all they can about the cousin's of the dragons.
Ed Mortensen
Jul 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story of Watch-Whers, more or less, and not a bad story. It moved right along and introduced the reader to a mine that is being proven as well as how people learned about and how to work with, watch-whers.
Angel M.
I have had a love affair with Anne McCaffrey's books for some years now. However, the books she collaborates on with others lack the heartfelt magic that Anne brought to her stories. She is greatly missed.
Linda Barnett
Jun 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-un-read
Excellent, as always....

Thankfully Todd will carry the torch, in the future, as the world would be a poorer place without dragons, watch-wher, fire lizards and their respective humans. Long live Pern.
Benjamin
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good entry in the Pern series. It does much of what many of the good Pern books do by exploring the life of a few individuals and a community. I feel like the villain in this one was a little flatter than what you'll get in some of the other Pern books.
Angela
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was the last Pern book I bought ... perhaps Todd McCaffrey has matured into a balanced and nuanced author with later books. This one was too unbalanced. Tarik wasn't just evil, he was EVIL, E-V-I-L. We get it, Todd, we get it.
Robyn Puffenbarger
Neat to re-read. Had forgotten about the watch-wher!
Bob
Oct 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Good link to other stories in the series
Kathy E
Jul 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic! A wonderfully written, delightful read about a mining hold that learns a valuable lesson about people, dragons and dragons 'cousins'. Harper's will sing for ages!
  • The People of Pern
  • The Atlas of Pern
  • Dragonholder: The Life and Dreams (So Far) of Anne McCaffrey
  • The Dragonlover's Guide to Pern
  • Anne McCaffrey's Dragonflight #2
  • The Ship Avenged
  • Sanctuary (Dragon Jousters, #3)
  • A Dragon-Lover's Treasury of the Fantastic
  • Anne McCaffrey: A Life with Dragons
  • Captain Flandry: Defender Of The Terran Empire
Anne McCaffrey was born on April 1st, 1926, in Cambridge, Massachusetts.

Anne was educated at Stuart Hall in Staunton Virginia, Montclair High Scho
More about Anne McCaffrey...

Pern (Publication Order) (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • Dragonflight (Dragonriders of Pern, #1)
  • Dragonquest (Pern, #2)
  • Dragonsong (Harper Hall, #1)
  • Dragonsinger (Harper Hall, #2)
  • The White Dragon (Pern, #3)
  • Dragondrums (Harper Hall, #3)
  • Moreta: Dragonlady of Pern (Pern, #7)
  • Nerilka's Story (Pern, #8)
  • Dragonsdawn (Pern, #9)
  • The Renegades of Pern (Pern, #10)