Start by marking “The Mistletoe Phenomenon (Mistletoe Science, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Mistletoe Phenomenon (Mistletoe Science, #1)

The Mistletoe Phenomenon

(Mistletoe Science #1)

Magnus Carstens, an eminent glaciologist, recently had to change his life: he's become his nephew Jakob's guardian after the boy's parents died in a plane crash, he's taken a new job as a park ranger, and he's moved them to Mistletoe, Wyoming, so he can offer a stable home to Jakob while still contributing to science. There he meets Lance Rivera, a disillusioned physical t ...more
ebook, 2nd edition, 76 pages
Published June 2010 by Dreamspinner Press (first published December 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Mistletoe Phenomenon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mistletoe Phenomenon

Deeze
Another sweet and simple story set at Christmas time.

I love kids in my fics and Jakob was a lovely addition. But he was really the only one that worked for me.

I felt no chemistry between Magnus and Lance, and the dialogue seemed stilted and unnatural.

The story line was OK up till the bit with the (view spoiler) which really seemed like nonsense.

Sadly another forgettable Christmas read.
Andrew Grey
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this story immensely. It left me warm and thoroughly satisfied.
DaisyGirl
2.0 Stars

Magnus Carstens is an eminent glaciologist and a recently appointed guardian to his nine-year-old nephew (Jakob) whose parents died in a plane crash. In an effort to provide Jakob with a stable home while still contributing to his field of study, Magnus moves with Jakob to Mistletoe, Wyoming. Lance Rivera is a disillusioned physical therapist who is working in his sister's store to make a living after his lover took off with all their money. The Mistletoe Phenomenon is Magnus and Lanc
Lily

Lance Rivera is back in Mistletoe, Wyoming after a disastrous breakup and is working at his sister's shop, Holiday World. It's the Christmas Season but Lance is feeling more humbug than anything else until Magnus Carstens and Jakob, his eight-year old nephew, come in. From the moment he sets eyes on the gorgeous blue eyed man Lance is smitten. When the Christmas tradition of a kiss under the mistletoe brings the two men together it's the beginning of a magical Christmas for
Donna
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved Jakob! (I wish all 8-year-olds were that adult and well spoken... *snort* LOL) I HATE unanswered questions! (Why the kidnapping? We will never know... grrr) Why would anyone name their child Magnus? (Who cares it fit him perfectly and his cluelessness about the "real world" just made me want to take him home and hug him... for days!) If Lance got anymore adorable he would be my favorite blankie! (The son every mother hopes to raise but despairs of her lack of success! ;p)

Yep.
Don Bradshaw
Boy, that was bad! The entire story was rushed except for the sex which went on for pages. Does sex make a story better? Hell no but many authors and publishers obviously think it does. No amount of gratuitous sex could make Magnus and Lance into likable, believable characters. They were just too bland and dull in my opinion.
Katharina
Jan 29, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: contemporary
Alright, this was pretty disappointing for me. I really liked the premise of this story which is why I picked it up. The idea of one character being a glaciologist (not something you read everyday) interested me and although the rest sounded pretty typical and predictable, that doesn't mean it can't be a joy to read.

Unfortunately this one wasn't very enjoyable, though. It was alright, for sure, but as mentioned in some reviews the characters felt very one-dimensional, very unreal, al
Plainbrownwrapper
Dec 06, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mm
Sorry to say, this one is poorly executed all around. Awkward prose, clunky dialogue, caricature villains, insta-love, chick-with-dick, tell-don't-show writing. The whole bad-story package.

The basic setup is not bad. A glaciologist (studies glaciers), Magnus, takes a job with a national park in order to have a more stable home life when his brother and the brother's wife are killed, leaving their little boy an orphan. Magnus is named guardian. In the meantime, a physical therapist, L
L-D
Lance Rivera is disillusioned after his last lover took their joint savings and skedaddled. Embarrassed and broke, he returns to his hometown of Mistletoe to be closer to his family and to try to make ends meet by working for his sister, Katie. While working in her Holiday themed store, a customer walks in with a young boy in tow. Things are a little awkward between the man and his young charge, but there is an immediate connection between Lance and young Jakob.

Magnus Carstens has be
Lexi Ander
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella
Mistletoe, mistletoe everywhere!

Do you want to kiss a total stranger? You are in luck, here's some mistletoe!

Are you a hot Swedish scientist who likes to run experiments to fully understand the effects of mistletoe? Well, you need a test subject and Magnus only wants one...Lance. It helps that his nephew, Jakob, likes Lance too and at every opportunity is drawing Lance into their lives.

Lance has had a tough way to go it since his former partner cleaned out their account and left him with noth
Kathy
Dec 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
4.5 stars ~ I absolutley adored Magnus and Lance, and Jakob? My heart broke then rejoiced for him. I also laughed aloud at his 8-year-old views and acceptance; what a wonderful little boy.

I loved that Lance's dream is not run-of-the-mill, especially for men; but it's real and I could feel the pain and sense of loss that he felt.

Poor Magnus; now this is one lost man when it comes to anything dealing with emotions and leading with the heart.

Both Lance and Magnus
Ter
May 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really like this story. I think it was one of the best that was in Advent Calendar. It was a very cute story for any time. But what about the evil aunt and uncle?? I saw the info for the sequel, and what you wrote in diff review. OMG so next they will have an evil aunt and uncle and father and bad woman to put up with!!! Can't wait to read that one!! Great job Serena!!
(are we gonna what to slap Magnus up side the head in next book? lol
Tj
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2011
This is a warm and sweet book. I flip-flopped on what to rate this. In the end I went with 4 because it was short and a little shallow. I also wanted a conclusion to the kidnapping. There seemed to be no reason for it. I like to know why it happened and wasn't sure it really brought a lot to the story. Still I loved the characters. I hope there is more to this story since it seems to have more to give:)
Rowena Sudbury
Dec 19, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This story is kept me enraptured from start to finish. A very touching story about emotional growth and unexpected love. Very sweet.
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
What a cute and happy story
Leaundra
Dec 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This was just a sweet sweet love story. I really enjoyed it!!
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.0 Stars

I wanted to like this one more but the writing was a bit stilted & awkward, even with Lance's POV. And it was entirely too rushed. From having a broken heart on Thanksgiving to this insta-family in less than a couple weeks? Yeah, not a fan. I love the insta-family trope but I guess I need a bigger gap between breaking up with the ex and starting this new life.

Also, for someone so analytical and out of touch with his feelings, Magnus sure did do a 180 when it
Wendy Ann
This story definitely had a lot going on for its shorter length and I think I would have enjoyed a little more meat on its bones. Kids can be a great part of a story plot and I did thoroughly enjoy Jakob. Where I hoped for a bit more was in development of the relationship between Magnus and Lance, and even more so, in the issue surrounding Jakob. Still, Christmas stories always leave me feeling a little bit warm and happy.
Ashley
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Magnus' life has been turned upside down when he is given custody of his nephew, he takes a new jobs and moves them to a small town. Lance had to move back home after his ex ran off with all their money, he is working for his sister in her store. When Lance and Magnus meet under the mistletoe sparks fly.

I enjoyed the book, but it felt like a couple things were really explained well, and maybe they will be discussed in later books. For one, the kidnapping of Jakob didn't really make sense and pr
Lena Grey
Oct 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A new twist on a Christmas season story. My first Serena Yates story and definitely not be my last! Serena weaves a wonderful tale of two very different men destined to complete each other. She had me cheering for them from the very beginning, especially for Lance. I was practically shouting "Come on Magnus! What are you waiting for? Step under that mistletoe and kiss that sweet boy!" If you are looking for hard core look somewhere else, but if you want to enjoy a sweet,touching, uplifting story ...more
Julia
Pretty cute little holiday story. It had a Hallmark Christmas movie feel to it, but with (bonus!) smut. Very sweet with likable characters. It was a tad too short for my taste and some of the dialog felt a little off in a few places (personal preference there, not anything about the writing) but, hey, it's a holiday story with a warm fuzzy plot, some steamy scenes and a sweet ending. 3.5 stars overall, bumping it up to 4 for goodreads.
J.J. Levesque
Jun 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. From the beginning, I was drawn to the characters and whenever they were upset or hurting, I was upset or hurting with them. Jakob is such a fun, sweet character that you can't help but love him. I liked how Magnus seemed so confident about his work, but when it came to interacting with others he lost his composure. I only wish it was longer! Looking forward to reading the next book!
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, xmas
Set in the town of Mistletoe, Wyoming, The Mistletoe Phenomenon tells the story of Lance Rivera, whose luck changes when he meets Magnus Carstens and his orphaned nephew Jakob. It is such a sweet story that it would it would seem wrong to criticise it. Thankfully, I have nothing but praise for this wonderful book.
Marianne Boutet
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series, mm
this is what I woul call an awwww book. No surprises, no horrible crises; a fun read.
Maya
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebook, serena-yates
For a full review of this book please check out our website: The Mistletoe Phenomenon
Janean
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it
Christmas and romance, my favorite combination.
Elizabeth Besenfelder
Sep 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Very heartwarming story.
Jen
Mar 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
I've visited Jackson, Wyoming before so I know a few of the places mentioned. Overall I really liked this book
Arzu
May 14, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved this one. Such a sweet nice story with a happy ending!!
Taylor
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very cute story! Reading it was a great way to spend Christmas morning. :)

• Got Mistletoe?
  • Cruise for Christmas
  • Silver and Gold
  • Earth and Sun, Cedar and Sage (Gideon and Jedediah, #2)
  • The Best Gift (The Best Gift #1)
  • Hopes and Fears
  • Christmas with Danny Fit
  • A Trouble Halved
  • Good to Know (Good to Know, #1)
  • The Boy Behind the Red Door
  • All I Want For Christmas
  • Poacher's Fall (Midwinter Manor, #1)
  • The Long Way Home
  • Liquid Glass
  • Gaudete
  • Feathers From the Sky
  • Mr. Popsalos (Mr. Popsalos, #1)
  • The Match Before Christmas  (The Match Before Christmas #1)
I’m a night owl and start writing when everyone else in my time zone is asleep. I’ve loved reading all my life and spent most of my childhood with my nose buried in a book. Although I always wanted to be a writer, financial independence came first. Twenty-some years and a successful business career later I took some online writing classes and never looked back.

Living and working in eig

Mistletoe Science (4 books)
  • The Solstice Mistletoe Effect (Mistletoe Science, #2)
  • The Mistletoe Experiment (Mistletoe Science, #3)
  • Mistletoe Science (Mistletoe Science, #1-3)