Start by marking “Heaven's Fury” as Want to Read:
Heaven's Fury

Heaven's Fury

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  345 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
New York Times bestselling author Stephen Frey thrills readers with the mesmerizing tale of a small-town sheriff who must confront the worst violence that man and nature possess.

Bruner, Wisconsin, is really two different towns. On one side are the magnificent summer estates of wealthy families who value their privacy and privilege above all else. A few miles away, but a w
Published September 21st 2010 by Gallery Books

To ask other readers questions about Heaven's Fury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heaven's Fury

Dorsi
Mar 06, 2015 Dorsi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a decent story with a really good narration. The story was rather predictable however, something about the author's writing style kept my interest. Although I liked the main character well enough, I found myself getting irritated with him time and time again. He contradicted himself quite frequently especially where his best friend and trust issues were a concern. All in all it was decent...3 1/2 stars...the narration gave it a boost. It was read by Michael McConnohie.I'd be willing to ...more
Ed Heichel
Everything in this story depends on the ending. The author is going for a noir feel, and does okay at it, but that means we need a powerful ending to make many of the details feel less silly. Unfortunately, the book ends with the Wayne's World "Scooby Doo" ending and a logic hole so big you can fly a 747 through it. Really makes the whole thing kind of laughable. I've read worse, but I won't be looking to read this again.
Seth Taplin
This book bounced back and forth between interesting and annoying, making me wish it would end but still have enough of a spark of hope left that I wouldn't just quit listening. OK mystery, but the characters all left me wanting for development and feeling they were all a little schizophrenic with how much they flip flopped around.
Nicole
Aug 05, 2014 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have so many conflicting emotions about this book. Overall, I liked it. However, and it's a BIG however, I'm so glad this guy isn't a real police officer. I'm glad he's just a made-up imaginary character. While I'm sure there is some police officer who resembles this guy, which is a scary thought, I'm glad in regards to this story that he's fictional. I'm not sure if it's just me, but did anyone else who read this think that this guy shouldn't be a cop? He just made mistake after mistake after ...more
Mark
Jun 06, 2011 Mark rated it liked it
I like Frey's novels, but this one is a departure from the finance/political intrigues I've read earlier...here a sheriff in small northern Wisconsin rural county is dealing with either killings or something more sinister...interesting take on the some of the character of the people of the North Woods...as a "Cheesehead", I had difficulty with the "cultist" aspects, but there are some true facets...I had difficulty getting past a rudimentary error of; how a county sheriff, an elected position in ...more
Rob1109
Oct 04, 2015 Rob1109 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It takes a lot for me to put down a book I start. It REALLY takes a lot for me to put down a book after 200 pages. However, this book got to a point where I couldn’t take any more.

There are 3 things that I look for in a novel: 1) plot twists and turns. 2) Likeable or unlikable characters and 3) good writing. “Heaven’s Fury” had NONE of these.

The book started out…okay. Decent. Mediocre. But after reading 200 pages of 308, I had had enough. The story went nowhere, I could care less what happened
Anna Marie
Jan 30, 2015 Anna Marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book on tape. I liked the 1st person story from Sheriff Paul Summers. The author did well giving the reader almost enough to see the who-done-it ending. I didn't care for the reasoning for the cult's existence though... muddied the water and wasn't that plausible.
Amber
Jul 19, 2013 Amber rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Such a manly man book. Is this really how men think, emote and view the world? Sheesh. As someone from Minnesota, there were quite a few laughable moments as Frey seemed to not understand the basic underpinnings of regional economies and knowledge, such as when our protagonist has to learn about the Iron Range and taconite from an expert engineer.
Lee
This is a Frey story that does not involve high finance. This story follows a Sheriff in a small town in Wisconsin who is investigating the murder of his lover. As he investigates her father believes that he may be behind it and he wonders if it involves a cult that is rumored to be in town. Okay read.
Drick
Aug 31, 2012 Drick rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
In northern Wisconsin, a sheriff who has come to the end of his professional line gets caught in a love triangle and a series of murders that threaten his life. Its a good enough drama but the writing is pretty pedantic and overly dramatic. I have read other Stephen Frey novels and this is not his best
Kay
Nov 29, 2010 Kay rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This is a departure from Frey's usual novel about murder, mystery and mayhem in the financial world. It was okay but I didn't care for the main character. I would have rated it lower but I really did like the last part of the book.
Darci
Jun 22, 2013 Darci rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This would be a 2 if we could give . The story was okay, but I wasn't crazy about the writing style. I felt like certain things were repeated a lot and other things were skipped over. ...more
Jonathan Sweet
Uneven effort. Solid suspense, but could have been wrapped up earlier. Also got some of the Minneapolis-area geography details wrong, which annoyed me as a Twin Cities resident!
Alexis Thompson
Liked his financial books better. The main character didn't attract my interest and suspension of dis-believe was difficult about both the cult and the relationships.
David Weinfeld
an okay story. Reminds me of the Longmire series
Jay Connor
Stephen Frey has written 17 novels. The vast majority employed his M&A and private equity background in a well-honed manner making him one of the best authors of financial intrigue.

I find it odd that just at the time when "financial intrigue" is the cornerstone of many front page headlines, Frey has taken a hiatus from the ruthless markets to go to the backwoods. His two recent heaven and hell books ("Heaven's Fury," here, and "Hell's Gate," reviewed last year) are interesting, second-tier,
Tess Mertens-Johnson
Even though this book was predictable, this MN girl is a sucker for a snowstorm story!
Paul Summers is a cop in Dakota County WI who stumbles on to suspicion activity in his small town. In a town where everyone "know your name", animal mutilations and eventually a murder turn the town upside down.
There is big money (Prescott) in the town, shifting businessmen (Bill Campbell), cult activity and an old flame that puts a wedge between Paul and his wife Vivian, who just happens to be an ex stripper.
Stacy
Jan 25, 2012 Stacy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Surely there is a diligent, hard-working, intelligent, well-liked, honest police officers in the world. I truly believe this. Why is it that no author has ever met or imagined these people?

This is yet another book that focuses on a policeman that has nothing going for him and if living a life he doesn't like with a wife he doesn't love.

And then we have the expected plot. Guess what happens...yes, a crime occurs that he should be a suspect in but instead of being investigated or stepping aside,
Any Length
May 30, 2016 Any Length rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Anirudh
I like the way it describes the northern Minnesota life and geography. But after having read so many adventure books, the end was slightly predictable.
Marsha
Oct 10, 2015 Marsha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ok. Not good or great. I was sort of bored and none of the characters were engaging. But something to keep me reading out on the swing.
Andrea
May 10, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Surprisingly readable mystery. No great emotional epiphanies, but a plot with plenty of twists and turns, a fairly likeable main character and everything tied up with a bow at the end.
Eric
Feb 10, 2016 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a real page turner and was shocked by the ending
Nancy Magee
Jun 12, 2014 Nancy Magee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another first time read author for me. And I will be reading him again.
Bernie Charbonneau
Mar 03, 2011 Bernie Charbonneau rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
I like Stephen Frey novels. I believe that I have read all his novels. They are usually quick, easy reads that you keep turning the page. Again, this novel is no different. The characters presented are likable and uncomplicated so that the plot is what stands out. Taking place in the Wisconsin north, Mr Frey describes the setting quite well so that it is vivid in your mind but at the same time doesn't bog down the pace of the tale. For a quick weekend read when it is to cold to go out, this auth ...more
Nancy
Feb 23, 2015 Nancy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
read
Siti
Oct 25, 2014 Siti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellant....i love it.
Fredrick Danysh
Sheriff Paul Summers is at the end of the line for a law enforcement career having been forced out of two other jobs. The county is sharply divided between the rich and the poor. Married to a former stripper, Paul is in love with a rich married woman. When she is murdered, his troubles get worse. A murderous cult is plaguing the community and he doesn't know who he can trust.
Ricardo
Mar 13, 2013 Ricardo rated it did not like it
I thought this was really bad. The plot and dialogue seemed to jump from cliché to cliché. If this had not been something written by a well-known author, if it had been someone's first book, I really doubt it would ever have made it into print
Jeanne
Feb 13, 2013 Jeanne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely great story!! Got involved in the plot right away and kept guessing how things were going to fall out. Let me tell you--the ending is worth the listen!! Surprises all the way through!! 9 out of 10 for me on this one.
  • The Jeffery Deaver Suspense Collection: Speaking In Tongues / The Blue Nowhere / Garden Of Beasts
  • Baby, It's Cold Outside
  • Absolute Zero (Phil Broker, #3)
  • The Sea Witch
  • The Capitol Game
  • The Moscow Club
  • Red on Red
  • Hell or High Water
  • Square Affair
  • The Plot: A Novel
  • Jade Tiger  (Kenneth Aubrey and Patrick Hyde, #4)
  • The Dream Lover
  • The Ghosts Of Sleath / '48
  • The Alchemist
  • Blood Father
  • The Nameless Dead
  • The Black Box -- Free Preview: The First 6 Chapters (A Harry Bosch Novel)
  • A Darkly Hidden Truth (Monastery Murders, #2)
For the last 15 years I’ve been lucky enough to be a novelist. Until recently the books were set in the worlds of Wall Street and Washington. In addition to writing, I’ve also had a career in finance with specialties including merger & acquisition advisory and private equity at firms like J.P. Morgan in New York City and Winston Partners just outside D.C. in northern Virginia.

So, it seemed na
More about Stephen W. Frey...