Start by marking “Hannibal: Makers of History” as Want to Read:
Hannibal: Makers of History

Hannibal: Makers of History (Makers of History #5)

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  219 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
Hannibal is part of Makers of History, a 19th century biography series by two brothers-Jacob and John S.C. Abbott. Reprinted by Canon Press, these biographies have been edited and brought up-to-date for readers twelve and up. Not only are these editions given vintage style paperback covers, but they also include introductions that explain where these men and women fit into ...more
Published May 25th 2010 by Canon Press (first published 1849)

To ask other readers questions about Hannibal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hannibal

Carol
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannibal was a Carthaginian general. I learned much about Hannibal beyond the well-known fact that he crossed the Alps with elephants (Africa —> Spain —> France —> Switzerland —> Italy)

The book is a good review of the three wars between Carthage and Rome, called the Punic Wars. (Punic was the language of Carthage, related to Phoenician.) Abbott highlights the fact that Carthage, a colony of Tyre, was first a city of commerce.

Hannibal converted a peaceful city-state into a military a
Jesse Broussard
Well, this was actually quite disappointing. I probably went into this book with the wrong expectations, but it still ruined it for me. Hannibal Barca, son of Hamilcar Barca, was a Carthaginian general of such brilliance that he is comparable to Julius Caesar, Alexander the Great, Pyrrhus of Epirus and Scipio Africanus (who became great studying Hannibal, and finally defeated him). Virtually every family in Rome lost a family member due to Hannibal in the fifteen years he spent occupying Italy l ...more
Daniel Hulmes
This book serves as an excellent introduction to one of the most important figures of the ancient world. Hannibal was one of the greatest military generals of the age but his legacy endured in the Roman psyche for centuries after his death.

Sections of the book are a tad brief and I did get the feeling that Jacob Abbott wasn't very approving of Hannibals' actions. Reading on the kindle, there was also an issue with accessing the maps, which might be a big problem for anyone unfamiliar with the ge
Joe Akuoko II
Great Personality who surmounted all difficulties in order to get to Rome. However great he was, his weakness was in his insatiable desire to prove his prowess in defeating the Romans even when odds were against him. Lesson leearnt- we need to learn to understand our limits. Other than that its a great piece of history.
Luke Marino
Basic overview, he does not go too in depth about any battle but gives a good idea of how things unfolded.
Floris Wolswijk
Jan 02, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hannibal is one of the most remembered leaders of history. Every history textbook (at least in Europe) writes about his travels through the Alps, his attack of Italy (then the Roman Empire) and his subsequent demise. What many forget is the historical impact that Hannibal has had on the world, what the consequences of his battles have done for Italy, but even more for the Carthaginian empire (I bet you haven’t even heard of it). Jacob Abbott takes us, once again, on a journey through history and ...more
cody b johnson
I'm certainly not disappointed that I read "Hannibal" by Jacob Abbott but I did find some areas of it disappointing. My expectations may have been a bit high as far as what I was expecting from this book but I found its amount of detail in many of the battles underwhelming. The book just didn't contain much detail, at all, even regarding other items.

It may have been this edition of the book but I found the lack of any type of bibliography very disappointing. I assume that Mr. Abbott received muc
Kathy
Jul 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abbott's biographies are more than just the story of one person's life. He also weaves in the context and the antecedents, so one comes away with a much fuller understanding of the place of this person in history. He also interjects his own "therefore what" commentary. The ending of this book, Abbott's concluding commentary on Hannibal, was moving and poignant:

"War and commerce are the two great antagonistic principles which struggle for the mastery of the human race, the function of the one bei
Mike
Jun 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In typical Jacob Abbott fashion (19th century author of history books for kids, he tells a great story. Hannibal shows the folly of great men looking for personal glory through war.

He was a genius strategist and leader of men in getting across the Rhone through trickery, the Alps trough determination and trickery, and prolonging his occupation of Italy through similar means. However, known to history as one of the great generals he ultimately, through his conceit, led indirectly to the destruct
Linda
Jun 24, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a free book published a million years ago. I have quite a few Mr. Abbott's book about persons of note. They are really good except for the manner in which it printed for ereaders. Mr. Abbott has a keen understanding of men and how they are affected by different circumstances.
Hannibal was a clever and cunning warrior. When he and his army crossed the Alps, the conditions were deplorable. The weather, the cold, the terrane were so dangerous one wonders why his soldiers did not desert. He
Lanvin_T.
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It total redifines what I know about Carthage. Yes I knew about the destructive force behind scipio the young, yes I knew about Hannibal being a trickster, a man who would use any means that would seem to favour another only to benefit his own good. But I was left still wanting to know more, I mean I can understand how he felt with his own country man betraying him and how he witness his brothers death; what I couldn't understand was the last general, Hasdrubal's ways. I feel there is more to th ...more
Kalman
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The thinking of the nineteenth century was very anti-Carthage. Abbott has that prejudice, a lot of what he says about Carthage are based on Roman sources who were trying to put Carthage in a bad light. Abbott is very inaccurate about Hannibal. For a great biography on Hannibal you should check out Richard A. Gabriel's book on Hannibal.
Scott Harris
Jan 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great historical classic by Jacob Abbott, this brief history of Hannibal is an accessible and generous account of his life and military career. As with almost every great leader of this kind, it has the tragic end to an otherwise astonishing career but it is nevertheless a compelling and interesting read.
Ben
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
A simplistic but entertaining history of the life of Hannibal and the major events of the second Punic war. Abbott's excitable prose style and charming 19th century vocabulary hold your attention, even, or especially, when it strays into unintentional comedy. His exuberant description of the Alps is a highlight.
Kalman
Jan 16, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
M
Jul 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abbott often focuses more on people, personalities, and politics then he does military history and battle descriptions. Accordingly, this is a very interesting perspective on Hannibal and illuminates the "behind the scenes" action of the most famous military invasion of all time.
Adhoc
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it
A quick and dirty history of Hannibal and the Punic wars. Easily and quickly read. This is an overview that is without superfluous detail. Good for what it is.
Adhoc
Apr 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mark Wilson
Aug 27, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, history
Enjoyable reading, picked up because I'd heard so much about Hannibal without knowing a great deal about him. Found this a very enjoyable introduction.
James Aaron Kirkpatrick
Brief summary of the 2d and 3d Punic wars.
Diego
Sep 13, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • A Test Of Time: Volume One-The Bible-From Myth to History
  • The History of Rome, Books 01 to 08
  • Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church (History Lives #1)
  • Our Island Story
  • The Book of Nature Myths
  • Under Wellington's Command
  • A Field Guide to Sprawl
  • Early Modern Times: From Elizabeth the First to the Forty-Niners (The Story of the World #3)
  • Tom Swift and His Submarine Boat (Tom Swift Sr, #4)
  • The Adventures of Poor Mrs. Quack
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • McGuffey's Second Eclectic Reader
  • Granny's Wonderful Chair
  • The Story Of The Greeks
  • American History Stories You Never Read in School but Should Have (Vol.1)
  • Ibn Battuta in Black Africa
  • Fifty Famous People
  • Personal Narrative of a Pilgrimage to Al Madinah And Meccah: Volume 2
Abbott was born at Hallowell, Maine to Jacob and Betsey Abbott. He graduated from Bowdoin College in 1820; studied at Andover Theological Seminary in 1821, 1822, and 1824; was tutor in 1824-1825, and from 1825 to 1829 was professor of mathematics and natural philosophy at Amherst College; was licensed to preach by the Hampshire Association in 1826; founded the Mount Vernon School for Young Ladies ...more
More about Jacob Abbott...

Makers of History (1 - 10 of 31 books)
  • Charles I (Makers of History, #1)
  • Mary Queen of Scots (Makers of History, #2)
  • Alexander the Great (Makers of History, #3)
  • History of Julius Caesar (Makers of History, #4)
  • History of William the Conqueror