Start by marking “To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter, #1)” as Want to Read:
To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter, #1)

To Speak for the Dead (Jake Lassiter #1)

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  2,140 Ratings  ·  139 Reviews
NO. 1 BESTSELLING HARDBOILED MYSTERY

NO. 1 BESTSELLING LEGAL THRILLER

"TOP MYSTERIES OF THE YEAR" - Los Angeles Times

OVERVIEW

A doctor in love with his patient's wife...
A fatal mistake during surgery...
Accident?  Malpractice?  Or murder?

Defending a surgeon in a malpractice case, Jake Lassiter begins to suspect that his client is innocent of negligence...but guilty of murder
Published September 1st 1991 by Crimeline (first published July 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about To Speak for the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about To Speak for the Dead

Maureen DeLuca
A pretty good start for the first in this series. For book number 1 - published in 1990 and from what I see , the series is still going strong.

The MC is Jake Lassiter- an ex-second string line backer and now a lawyer in the Miami, Florida area. He is a fun character and I absolutely loved him from the beginning. The other characters are wonderfully quirky-like Charlie Riggs, the former Medical Examiner, who spouts Latin and knows the most surprising things- you just can't help but laugh every t
Paul Levine
Dec 14, 2010 is currently reading it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
My first novel. Chosen as one of the best mysteries of the year by the Los Angeles Times.

TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD on Amazon Kindle here.

TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD on Barnes & Noble Nook here.

“Move over Scott Turow. ‘To Speak for the Dead’ is courtroom drama at its very best.” – Larry King, USA Today

"Just the remedy for those who can't get enough Spenser and miss Travis McGee terribly." – St. Petersburg Times

"Jake Lassiter is attractive, funny, savvy, and brave." – Chicago Tribune

"Irreverent...genuin
Dani
May 11, 2015 rated it really liked it
I'm always looking for good series to read, since I can read much faster than my favorite authors can write, even as a collective group. :D Don't remember how I found out about this one, but I enjoyed the first novel. It's set in S. Florida, where I grew up, and I always enjoy books more when I can picture the setting from firsthand experience. Lassiter was a flawed but sympathetic character. I thought the romance was a little overblown (like, who falls THAT much in love with someone they've jus ...more
Tulay
Jun 14, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Legal thriller with humor.

Paul Levine makes you laugh while describing gruesome screen. Read all the Jack Lassiter books and love it. You'll fall in love with the some characters. Judge that fills racing forms during the trial, buzzards on the roof of the court house. Love to spend a day in that court room with Jack Lassiter.
Pickleman
Sep 19, 2012 rated it liked it
This is my second novel from this guy. It is the second time I was impressed. Really a good bunch of characters, a fun courtroom drama, and just the right amount of "who done it". I am currently reading the second Jake Lassiter thriller.
Nancy Silk
Sep 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"An Awesome Novel of Courtroom Games and Crime Solving"

In this highly suspenseful novel, Jake Lassiter is again in court to defend Doctor Roger Stanton, Chief Orthopedic Physician. Jake had been once a football player, an ex-public defender, now an attorney waiting for an answer from the person on the stand. It's a malpractice trial of Corrigan vs. Stanton. The man who died after the surgical procedure was Philip Corrigan, a very rich man. The lawsuit was filed by the wife of Philip Corrigan...
Ed
Sep 01, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Crime fiction fans who have nothing else on their bookshelves.
This is another banal crime fiction offering disguised as a legal thriller by having a lawyer as the protagonist.

The plot is simple. Lawyer defends doctor in malpractice case. Victim turns out to have been murdered. The rest of the story has to do with the lawyer trying to catch the killer or killers, who are already known to anyone who has ever read a mystery story.

The characters are pure cardboard. The writing is infantile. I skipped large numbers of paragraphs as I plowed through the last ha
SimyCat
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Love this book and it kept my interest. Mr. Levine has created the character Jake Lassiter and each book in this series is about Jake, ex-pro football star now lawyer and all the things Jake gets himself involved in. The books keep me interested and I have found when reading I could picture the places described. I loved reading the series from beginning to current. I recommend this for those who like reading this type of book.
Lisa
Jul 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Was a decent book with pretty good suspense but I had a hard time with mainly the love interest of the main character. The book didn't link these two well enough to make them as much of a pair as the storyline tries to imply. The ending really left me hanging and not in a good way. When I realized that was really the last page I sat there wondering, "what in the world?"
Arthur
Jul 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
To Speak For The Dead (Jake Lassiter book 1)

Meet Jake Lassiter, defence attorney, who is the best for another great way to get out of trouble with the law. How he does that is a story that will have you turning pages to follow the plot. Thanks for letting us get to know Jake. Thanks for another great read.
Citywildcat
Dec 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Although I don't read much nonfiction, this was an exception. I really enjoy the major character in this book, Jake Lassiter. I probably do much of my own legal work, as a result of reading so many books about underdogs who come out on top. Can't they overcome adversity? How will they do it? All literature has "learning lessons" in them, things we can take from the book and apply to our every day lives. Sometimes, if I'm in a "crisis" part of a book, I think to myself, "How's this guy going to g ...more
LJ
TO SPEAK FOR THE DEAD - VG
Levine, Paul - 1st in Jake Lassiter series

Miami trail lawyer Jake Lassiter, "ex-football player, ex-public defender, ex-a-lot-of-things," is defending Dr. Roger Salisbury, a surgeon and womanizer charged with malpractice in the death of wealth Philip Corrigan. But the dead man's daughter insists that the doctor and her sexy stepmother conspired to kill her father-and wants Lassiter to prove it.

Can Lassiter really defend his client for malpractice and builds a case again
Craig Pittman
Oct 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A sterling beginning to a great series. You can sense the author, South Florida lawyer Paul Levine, feeling his way through his first novel but you can also see themes that he'll polish repeatedly for better results in later volumes: the wackiness of South Florida life, the contrast between the thuggish city and the colorful natural areas, the wild fights involving wildlife, the strange twists and turns that the law can take. The only real misstep here is the bizarre ending, which seems made for ...more
Yona
Feb 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
I'm not sure what to say about this book. I really like Levine's writing style I've read his series Solomon vs. Lord and the books are of my all time favorites, I was very happy when I found out that the author had another series.

To Speak for the Dead is the first book the author wrote and it's pretty good, but not as good as the last one.

I didn't know what to think and what to expect after I finished it. The end was very open. But as soon as I find the rest of the books I'm going to read them.
Katherine Clark
This book had its moments, but it seemed so old boys stuck in the 60s though it was written much later. Women aren't real...I'm doing a bad job explaining. The court room scenes were interesting, but some of what happens in the story makes me wonder how the protag hasn't been disbarred. The ending was over the top for me. I'm still angry about what happens to the girlfriend. In other words, I won't be reading more.
Yvonne
Jun 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Two For One

Finish one good story and go right into a great sequel to the first one. Wow a mystery that wasn't difficult to figure out but an ending twist that I never would have figured out but thoroughly enjoyed. A novel I enjoyed with the bad guys getting their just desserts. The loss of a character I enjoyed due to her characteristics of a bull dog in never giving. Great writing Mr. Levine
Thomas Begley
Jun 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic thriller!

Move aside Grisham and Turow. Paul Levine has created a first rate legal thriller. Part law, part sleuth, "To Speak For The Dead" is a fast paced read. The characters have depth, the story has twists and it's hard to put down once you start. I recommend this to anyone!
Jane Rose
May 26, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quite a good courtroom book - not as good as a Grisham, but I'll certainly try another
Eve
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
A nice mix of courtroom drama and thriller
Jim
Nov 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
This first book from author Paul Levine's Jake Lassiter series is a top notch legal thriller. "To speak For The Dead", is a rough and tumble suspense medical/ legal who done it that delivers a pretty good jolt reading. It's an amazing story being told by author Paul Levine. Levine is an author who can mold a really good tale for readers to get lost into. Jake Lassiter is our protagonist who's a crafty lawyer, and all around tough guy who can more than take care of himself when he needs to. This ...more
ElaineY
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
REVIEW OF AUDIOBOOK; JUNE 13, 2017
Narrator: Luke Daniels

The Narration: the best thing about the book, though I did tweak Daniels' voice a little to make him sound a little richer and sexier.

The Ending: I am not fond of such "huh?", "leave-them-wondering" type of endings. I find them annoying and want to bitch-slap those authors who think they're being oh-so-sophisticated by giving me such endings.

The Rest of the Book: I was conflicted through much of the story. I liked the plot but found the sex
Steve Black
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised, having read some of the author's Solomon and Lord series (where I found the interaction of the key characters annoying). I enjoyed Jake Lassiter much more, with less contrived humour and more character to build on. Yes the story is a bit far-fetched at times, but acceptably so for a light read where you can overlook some of the details. Without giving anything away, one murder used a means that would surely have left marks, and another draws on a Sherlock Holmes story ...more
Msgadget
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, 2017-fiction
Good, twisty book. Lighthearted, irreverent, it kept me guessing. Some of the supporting characters were a bit too stereotypically odd though I liked the former coroner, who was like a soothsayer or a very astute guide.
Katie
May 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a fantastic legal thriller in every sense. The characters were robust and likable, especially Jake. Though it was suspenseful, it also had a healthy dose of humor in the very clever dialogue. I look forward to reading more books in this series!
April
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Paul Levine books.
This book did not disappoint me.
It has lots of twists and turns interspersed with sarcasm and humor.
Jake,the main character is a lawyer who always goes the extra mile for his clients.
I am looking forward to reading more of this author's works.
mugginsuknow
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this character, Jake Lassiter. Jake is a flawed character with strange relatives and an overwhelming sense of right and wrong. The plot was very clever and the ending was unexpected. These books are fun to read.
Michelle DeVore
Good but

It was a good book. Kept me wanting to know what would happen next. I did not like the way it ended.
Carl
May 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
a little better than 3 but not 4. Likeeable character and witty
Russ Leavitt
Mar 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first read of Jake Lassiter. I really liked it and the ending left a lot of doors open.
Susannah Carleton
Mar 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Great legal thriller with an intriguing hero and an eclectic cast of characters. There's lots of drama inside the courtroom and out.
"To Speak for the Dead" 99 Cents This Week Only 1 3 May 23, 2011 04:50PM
  • Dire Means
  • The Big Bend (Terry Rankin, #1)
  • A Man Overboard
  • Ascension Day
  • Blood Red Turns Dollar Green
  • A Touch of Deceit (Nick Bracco Thriller #1)
  • The Girl From Long Guyland
  • Trust No One (Vista Security, #2)
  • The Fifth Avenue Series Boxed Set
  • Hidden
  • Never Back Down
  • Vigilante (Vigilante, #1)
  • The Advocate's Betrayal (The Advocate #2)
  • The Devil's Deep (Devil's Deep, #1)
  • Superbia (Superbia #1)
  • Arsonist (Jon Stanton, #4)
  • Liquid Lies
  • Bad Thoughts (Bill Shannon, #1)
"Thirty seconds after the jury announced its verdict, I decided to kill my client."

That's the opening line of Paul Levine's newest legal thriller, BUM LUCK, which brings together Miami's offbeat lawyers Jake Lassiter, Steve Solomon and Victoria Lord.

What's behind Lassiter's bizarre behavior. Solomon and Lord think that one-too-many concussions on the football field have left their pal with C.T.E
More about Paul Levine...

Jake Lassiter (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Night Vision (Jake Lassiter #2)
  • False Dawn (Jake Lassiter #3)
  • Mortal Sin (Jake Lassiter #4)
  • Riptide (Jake Lassiter, #5)
  • Fool Me Twice (Jake Lassiter #6)
  • Flesh and Bones (Jake Lassiter #7)
  • Lassiter (Jake Lassiter, #8)
  • State vs. Lassiter (Jake Lassiter #9)
  • Bum Rap (Jake Lassiter #10)
  • Bum Luck (Jake Lassiter #11)

“I've never been disbarred, committed or convicted of moral turpitude, and the only time I was arrested, it was a case of mistaken identity...I didn't know the guy I hit was a cop.” 1 likes
“I stood there, 220 pounds of ex-football player, ex-public defender, ex-a-lot-of-things, leaning against the faded walnut rail of the witness stand, home to a million sweaty palms. "To Speak for the Dead" (The Jake Lassiter Series) http://tinyurl.com/69eua2t 1 likes