Start by marking “Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly, #7)” as Want to Read:
Brave Emily (American Girls: Molly, #7)

Brave Emily

(American Girl: Molly #7)

Spring 1944: Emily Bennett, a young English girl, has come to stay with Molly McIntire's family to escape the bombing of London. Emily's parents sent her off with the reminder to be "a brave soldier for England," but Emily doesn't see how she can do that. Molly tries hard to make sweet, shy Emily feel at home, and Emily is grateful for Molly's friendship. Emily is delighte ...more
Published September 1st 2006 by American Girl Publishing Inc (first published August 21st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Brave Emily, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Brave Emily

Whitney
Jan 05, 2019 rated it liked it
You're a 9 year-old London girl whose parents are sending you away to safety during the Second World War. You have an aunt in America. However, when you arrive, you discover she is in hospital with pneumonia, and a local family is inviting you to stay with them instead. You enroll in school, where the family's 9 year-old daughter Molly helps you navigate the difficulties of slang and honesty; she encourages you to come out of your shyness. She has nice friends who also befriend you. But unfortun ...more
Sesana
Jul 25, 2012 rated it liked it
Tacked onto the Molly series, Brave Emily is from the perspective of Molly's English friend Emily Bennett, early in her stay in America. If you're familiar with the American Girl books, you know what to expect. It seemed to fit in with the rest of the books in Molly's series quite well, even with an entirely different narrator.
Katie
Aug 23, 2013 rated it liked it
A great book for girls looking for a way
to use their talents when it comes to bravery,
and friendship.
Mallory
Jan 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Awww, Emily! What a cute character! Read this book!
Shazzer
Aug 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
For Book Club meeting.
Ellie
Apr 04, 2011 rated it liked it
Oh American Girl books, you're so cheesy... :)
Shawna Oakes
Apr 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a bit nostalgic to read this book since I remember I was so excited to get the mini version of the Emily doll when I was a kid. This book was interesting, but it was also slow in parts. This is one book that if I had read it when I bought, I would’ve enjoyed it way more.
Claire
Mar 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
When I was a little girl, I had the molly doll, and my molly had a little emily that came with this little book. the words were in it and everything haha
Karol
Apr 04, 2018 rated it liked it
A good read. The multiplication information can be helpful for students. The Looking Back chapter was very informative.
Noelle Andersen
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
about a girl named Emily who comes to stay with Molly during world war two, to escape from the bombing in London.
Charissa Dubin
Brave Emily is a short historical fiction novel about a young British girl who is sent to America because of the German bombing of England during World War II. Emily is shy, reserved, and eager to be liked. She is excited to become friends with a girl her age in her host family, named Molly. Emily gets herself into a predicament when she lies about her music practice in order to not disappoint Molly. Eventually, Molly must learn to be brave and do what she can to support England.

This story is s
Donnell
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was ok
Bree
Feb 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children, historical
This review is fromthe point of view of a mother. I'm reading the various AG series to decide when they are appropriate for my daughter.

I particularly liked the insight into Emily's character - she's shy and reserved, and worries very much about what other people think of her, but still wants to make a difference in her world. The dilemma about really disliking her flutophone, and her choice to doctor her practice hours had real consequences, so overall I think this was a good book for the age g
TheRLPL Rice Lake Public Library
Brave Emily is the April selection for The American Girl Book Club
part of After School Adventures --a Thursday event at TheRLPL.
The book club meets the 2nd Thursday of each month during the school year.
April's meeting is April 14th 3:30-4:30

great turn out for the book Brave Emily, we had 13 girls! The discussion was centered around Emily, the main character in the book, and how she lived during WW11. She was sent across the seas to live with another family that she did not know but remained brav
Kristine Hansen
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
I enjoy seeing America through the eyes of Emily and also appreciate the storyline given. Emily finds herself in a web of lies when trying desperately hard to fit in with the other girls. How she comes out of that shows off her real courage.

I also really recommend reading the story about children overseas in WWII. I always learn something new from these sections and the facts are well illustrated with numerous photographs that bring everything to life and make the war very 'real.'

Definitely rec
Shelli
Written in the same style as the other Meet Molly, An American Girl books, only this time the point of view is from Emily, the young English girl who is staying with Molly's family due to the unsafe conditions in London during World War II. While I enjoyed yet another addition in the sweet and informative collection I didn't the main the plot line. For a girl who knows what real hardship is, Emily causes unnecessary drama for herself over a rather trivial thing, playing a flutophone.
Cathy
I read this after my 3rd grader. I like these American Girl stories that I've read so far (including the Kit series and the Rebecca series) because they talk about helping each other out unselfishly. They encourage children to rise to the occasion and help their families. In this particular story, the topic of lying is also discussed, with consequences. My 3rd grader says she likes this book "very good and give it a heart."
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This was a fairly interesting story. I liked seeing the world through Emily's perspective. I was a little shocked at some of the things that Emily did, but I'm glad that she eventually saw the error of her ways and did her best to fix everything, including telling the truth. I would probably recommend if you were a fan of the American Girl series.

*Taken from my book reviews blog: http://reviewsatmse.blogspot.com/2009...
Miss Clark
Nov 22, 2012 rated it it was ok
Marian
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: readit, ag, 2010
There are a few issues with Brave Emily. The biggest one? It screws with the timeline of the original Molly books. Other than needing Emily to be completely clueless when it comes to 'American exaggeration' why did this have to take place over the same time covered in Happy Birthday, Molly, without mentioning any of the events in that book?
Miri
Jul 15, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is about Molly's English friend Emily. Molly and Emily's class are learning how to play flutophones, but after a misunderstanding labels Emily the best musician in the class she ends up with a solo in front of the whole school and she's terrified and unprepared for it. Can Emily be brave and find a way out of her troubles and do something important for England at the same time?
Oct 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it tells about a girl named Emily and she came from England to America and stayed with Molly during world war II. She wants to be brave by doing something for the soldiers. But Molly tells her she was brave because she came to America all by herself.
Christy
Nov 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childhood
I loved the Molly series when I was younger, so it was fun to revisit these characters and this era from Emily's POV. In the Molly series Emily is made out to be shy and backward, and it's nice to see her side of the story, one where she has a personality, likes & dislikes, and hopes & dreams.
Halle
Jan 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book gives you a view of how scary leaving your family to go to another country.We may never have to carry this burden and hope we never will.Emily is brave to leave her family and stay strong, even when hard times pass.
Tacoeater
Jul 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Read this to my 2nd grader. This is slightly above her grade level and the plot was too simple. The book did give a reasonable description of life during wartime ("This ain't no disco..."). The appendix gave a good description of war life outside the story.
Amanda
Jul 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved the American Girl books when I was younger and continue to love them today. Fun with a good message.
Amanda
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mini-me-books
I lost count how many times my daughter read these american girl books.
Laine
Jun 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Cute American Girl book.
Nicole
Jul 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a very good book about Emily the American girl
Amy
Jul 02, 2010 added it
Shelves: punkin-s-shelf
spin-off from the Molly series--Emily is a 9-year-old evacuated from London during WWII, and comes to stay with Molly and her family.
Free Books, .99, ...: 3 AmericanGirl Books - Giveaway! 1 2 Nov 17, 2011 07:07AM

• Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Julie Tells Her Story (American Girls: Julie, #2)
  • Rebecca and Ana (American Girls: Rebecca, #2)
  • Kaya Shows the Way: A Sister Story (American Girls: Kaya, #5)
  • Jess
  • Kailey
  • Peril at King's Creek: A Felicity Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Changes for Caroline (American Girls: Caroline, #6)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Troubles for Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #4)
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t

American Girl: Molly (6 books)
  • Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1)
  • Molly Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Molly, #2)
  • Molly's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Molly, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Molly: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Molly, #4)
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • Changes for Molly: A Winter Story (American Girls: Molly, #6)