Start by marking “Mommy's Black Eye” as Want to Read:
Mommy's Black Eye

Mommy's Black Eye

In soft pastel color pictures on every page, Bradley and Bonnie bear ask Mom, sitting in her big armchair in a dark living room, why she has a black eye. The message is reassuring, group hug. Although Daddy left, both parents will always love their children. Includes USA resources for domestic violence.
Published November 30th 2009 by Bearly Tolerablel Publications (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mommy's Black Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mommy's Black Eye

Start your review of Mommy's Black Eye
An Odd1
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Bradley, kid in short knee pants carries a school knapsack, sits close by younger Bonnie, in blouse and jumper, when sunlight on her big flowered armchair reveals Mom to have a black eye. Dad had to leave, but both parents love them dearly, group hug. The bear family are all scrawny (more real than cuddly toys), in short sleeves, like humans in a warm climate, an ordinary summer day changed. A reassuring message for a troubling issue, a specific answer to an already positive move.

Better in
Shellie (Layers of Thought)
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents and Educators
Recommended to Shellie (Layers of Thought) by: William Bentrim

4.5 Stars actually - Original review posted at Layers of Thought

Domestic violence is not an easy topic, but it is nevertheless a very real and important one.

My Review: This is a wonderful little childrens book with illustrations that are both sweet and sad. It tells the story of two children who, after a very noisy night, find that their mommy has a black eye when they come home from school.

As Mommy talks with the two children, a boy and a girl, in a realistic tone, she tells them how they are
Linda B
Dec 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Mommys Black Eye is a book that we wish would never need to be written. Unfortunately there is a need, and one that continues to grow. The author, William G Bentrim, is a former teacher and guidance counselor. In his calm and understanding approach, he explores this topic for children in a household where abuse has happened. Using a mama bear with a black eye and answering questions asked by the children, the author leads the conversation so that the children will not feel any blame or fear. ...more
Rebecca
Dec 06, 2009 rated it liked it
The topic of Mommy's Black Eye is domestic violence and sometimes a parent doesn't really want to read a book about domestic violence to their child but some do because they want them to know whats out there. Luckily, Mommy's Black Eye is highly suitable for young children and simplifies things down so that young children can get a brief and simple understanding that it's not acceptible for one parent to hurt another one.

The illustrations are really good and children and adults will love them.

I
William Bentrim
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Recommends it for: any parent
"Mommy's Black Eye" is a children's book that addresses the issue of domestic violence
Domestic violence exists. That is a simple disturbing fact. It isnt something that should be ignored or swept under the rug. It is imperative to face this problem, acknowledge its existence and do our best to aid those who are exposed to it. Children, all too often, are susceptible to accepting responsibility for their parents bad behavior. They need to understand that they are not responsible for the
Nilanjana Haldar
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a beautiful book for children who are facing domestic violence at home?
I will request anybody out there reading this book to buy copies of it and send it to any child in need.
The pictures clearly depict what the child may have felt.
The story is easily digestible for any child and what I really loved about it is when the mother says, "....there is no reason for him to be mad at you." I have been studying how children who have witnessed domestic violence as a child fare in their adult life.
Agáta Čurková

Book Giveaways: FREE eBook 1 12 Oct 02, 2014 07:24PM

• Populatti
  • Pepper watches too much TV
  • Kids Who Kill: Case 1: Joshua Phillips
  • The Sorcerer's Maze Collection: Three Books in One (Sorcerer's Maze #1-3)
  • Confessions On An Island
  • Big Nate Goes for Broke (Big Nate Novels, #4)
  • Silly Scenarios for Silly Kids (Children's Would you Rather Game Book)
  • Celebrate Your Body (and Its Changes, Too!): The Ultimate Puberty Book for Girls
  • Facebook Stalker
  • Would You Rather... Summer Fun!: Clean and hilarious questions to hone critical thinking this summer.
  • A Fatal Family Secret (The Morphosis.me Files, #1)
  • Can You Survive a Virus Outbreak? (You Choose: Doomsday)
  • Can You Survive a Zombie Apocalypse? (You Choose: Doomsday)
  • Pick Your Own Quest: Dragon vs. Unicorn
  • A dog and his friends: ( fun bedtime story for kids ages 2-12-Perfect for Bedti) Great bedtime stories(Children's Book )
  • Starlight The Shy Unicorn
  • The Crabapple Tree: Live an Authentic Life
  • Zak's Safari: A Story About Donor-Conceived Kids of Two-Mom Families
I am currently working hard as an author, my 4th career. I owned and operated a convenience store for 10 years and a computer networking company for 25 years. I was a school teacher and counselor in the public schools. I am a proud husband, father and grandfather. I am someone who cares about the people around me, who wants to improve the society we all live in, who hopes on a daily basis to leave ...more

News & Interviews