Start by marking “The Scarlet Slipper Mystery” as Want to Read:
The Scarlet Slipper Mystery

The Scarlet Slipper Mystery (Nancy Drew #32)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  5,414 Ratings  ·  96 Reviews
Nancy Drew comes to the aid of the owners of a local dancing school when they receive an anonymous note threatening their lives.
Published January 1st 1955 by Grosset & Dunlap (first published 1954)

To ask other readers questions about The Scarlet Slipper Mystery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Scarlet Slipper Mystery

Jordan Ray
Nov 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I did actually enjoy this book it was full of many surprises.It was about a picture of a famous dancer wearing a pair of scarlet ballet slippers. The picture was stolen from Paris and Nancy and her friends soon find out why. Four smugglers hid jewels in the picture and snuck it into the United States. Nancy kept running into these people and started to suspect something. Her friend Mr. Fontain she met painted the painting and was a dark person, just like the people she suspected of stealing the ...more
Melanie
Bahaha! When we first meet Bess'n'George, they're attired "in gay cotton skirts and blouses." At one point Nancy gets offended when Ned intimates to a stranger that they're husband and wife.

The teaser picture shows HANNAH GRUEN bound and gagged, which is the first time in the series that anything has happened to her. Apparently some people from a non-existent country are tied up in a jewel smuggling ring, though the plot is rather nonsensical. We discover that Nancy is a skilled ballerina, thoug
Jerry
Oct 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great entry in this series.
Nicole Bennett
One of my least favorites so far---boring and confusing.
John Yelverton
Jul 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy Drew must solve a case of extortion in this addition to the book series.
Kathy
The Mystery of the Missing Scarlet Slippers
By: Carolyn Keene

Critique by Margot Buckey

The Mystery of the Missing Scarlet Slippers is about twins named Henri and Helene Fontaine from Centrovia. They come to America, because they are forced out of their country. They are very scared of what might happen to them, so they take their case to Nancy Drew. Nancy and her friends, Bess and George, help the twins figure out what is going on and why. Nancy and her friends discover there are Centrovian men tr
Wenqian-1e3
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everybody
Recommended to Wenqian-1e3 by: my friends
"The Scarlet Slipper Mystery " is about a girl detective , Nancy Drew who meets Helene and Henri Fontaine , refugees from Centrovia who run a dancing school in River Heights . Strange circumstanceshave brought the brother and sister to the United States . When they receive an annoymous note threatening their lives , Nancy offers her help .
But she encounters nothing but puzzles . Are the Foutaines involved with the Centrovian underground ? Have they been threatened by their own countrymen ? Why
Altaïr
I read it to my little sister (age 10) before bed each night. She enjoyed it, and the writing is of a fairly good quality for a children's book. Expectedly, the plot was fairly simple, without many unpredictable events.

Altogether, a good children's mystery novel.
Joanna
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve got to say, it’s not often that I actually can’t guess the ending of a Nancy Drew mystery, but this one had me second guessing myself the entire time. I wasn’t sure where everyone’s allegiances lay and I was convinced several times that people were double agents only to suddenly trust them again. A thoroughly enjoyable mystery, even if it was a bit convoluted and required quite a bit of exposition at the end.
Bonnie Randall
Nov 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: retro-reads
This was always one of my favorite Nancy Drews - mysterious paintings, hidden gems, and cracked bisque figurines with enigmatic numbers hidden inside. Nancy cracks the case as always and remains the voice of reason no matter the peril (while poor Bess is always the chubby nincompoop. Oh, dear.) Such a great escape into the time capsule of memory lane. 5 Stars
Christine Arvinth
Feb 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancydrew
Nancy does a great job of not only saving a brother and sister from their enemies but also a their homeland centronavia.
Lyssa
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
2.5. Nancy finally suspects the people who enlisted her help; characters are slightly less black and white.
Lauren
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a good mysterious read! It kept me on my toes and wanting to read more to find out what will happen next.
Phe
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Scarlet Slipper Mystery is a children's story by Carolyn Keene (pseudonym) and the 32nd book in the Nancy Drew series.

At a dancing school run by Helene and Henri Fontaine, refugees from Centrovia, scarlet slippers hang on the wall. Are they a clue in the mystery involving underground activities, missing jewels, and paintings? Strange circumstances brought the brother and sister to the United States. And when they receive an anonymous note threatening their lives, can eighteen-year-old N
Tabi34
Jan 08, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nancy-drew
I found this book confusing - there were too many people with too many aliases. I'm not sure if the confusion comes from the update or not. This is the 32nd book in the series and was first published in 1954 and revised in 1974.

A few things that I noticed - Burt and Dave haven't been seen in awhile. Bess and George have played smaller roles. Often they are busy. I sort of miss Bess' timidity.

Ned apparently is more involved with the relationship than Nancy is. At one point in this book he eludes
Connie N.
#32 in the Nancy Drew series

Another light and enjoyable book in this young adult mystery series. It brings back fond memories of devouring these books as a young girl. Today I'm amazed at how innocent they were, partly because they were written during a less paranoid time, but also since they were obviously simplified to keep the interest of young readers. For instance, the police are always happy and friendly figures who welcome Nancy's help and actually let her lead the way--driving the cops t
Anne
Apr 23, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read tons of Nancy Drew books as a preteen - I loved that she solved mysteries, drove a convertible, had a boyfriend, two great friends, and could basically do everything. Lately, I picked up this book when I was in a bit of a reading slump, and boy did it crack me up! I did not remember the writing and plots being so cheesy. When Nancy comes across a brother and sister in trouble, she immediately asks them to stay at her house (she believes in their innocence completely!). We find out that Na ...more
Dharia Scarab

Myself, I go ou
Alexis Contreras
Aug 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Scarlet Slipper Mystery by Carolyn Keene is about a girl named Nancy Drew who solves mysteries . Nancy is always solving mysteries with her freinds , Bess and Gorge . Nancy meets twins , a boy and a girl , these twins are the Fontaine's . She met them at a new dancing school . The Fontaine's started to receive threat notes from a mysterious person , so they asked Nancy for her help since she is a detective.
Nancy decides to help them with this mystery but the Fontaine's go missing one day
Kristin Landry
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In the exciting world of Nancy Drew mysteries this is no exception; with different suspects at every turn how can Nancy not help to be confused in this new startling mystery. It start with a new dance studio in River Heights with a lovely brother and sister for Centrovia, however they soon come to Nancy with a troubling problem. While trying to protect them amongst the crowd of on coming suspects and clues, they vanish. In the end the criminals end up in their rightful place behind bars and Nanc ...more
Christina
Jun 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nancy meets a Helene and her brother Henri. Unfortunately, someone has been threatening them, forcing them to move around to keep ahead of this individual. Nancy decides to investigate!

The Nancy Drew Mysteries are such great books. My 8 year old recently discovered them and she loves them. The language is not dumbed down and my daughter loves trying to solve the mysteries. She gets so excited with every passing chapter and loves to tell me her new theories on who did it.

There is a reason these b
Michaela
I have always enjoyed reading the Nancy Drew books. Yes, they may be a bit outdated in some ways, but they are still interesting reads.

I liked Scarlet Slipper, but the villains in the book were somewhat confusing. There were more villains than usual and the their intertwined stories were perhaps a bit too complex, especially for the length of the book.

Overall, I enjoyed the book even though it got confusing and unbelievable at certain points. (Nancy is like a cat with nine lives). The bottom li
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
I remember the first time I read Nancy Drew. It blew my mind that there were girls presented with a brain. Most of the stuff I'd read up to that time, was that girls were sugar and spice - fluffy. No brains. To also learn about George who is a tomboy was a nice validation. Carolyn Keene wrote just for me! That is how I felt. When I did more research, I was shocked to find out, Ms. Keene was actually a man ... writing under Franklin Dixon. I also loved the Hardy Boys. No wonder I loved these seri ...more
Jessi
Aug 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood
Henri and Helene Fontaine are from Centrovia, a country in revolt. Their parents died trying to help free the country, and now the H's are getting threatening notes telling them to leave the US. Nancy and Bess have to pull together, with the help of Ned's mom, to keep the Fontaine's dance studio open while Nancy solves the case of jewel smuggling, false identities and the scarlet slippers (worn by the Fontaine's mother who was a famous ballet dancer in Centrovia, but don't otherwise come into th ...more
Nancye
Mar 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read an original version, not an updated copy as the photo for this book would indicate. I read an article once that talked to one of the women who wrote under the name Carolyn Keene. She said that the books had been updated and the language changed. She refused to sign an updated version of the books since it wasn't what she wrote. I was lucky to have many of the old versions from my mom and grandmother. Since then I have collected the series in the old versions.
Alex
I read the 1954 edition.

I remember loving this one as a kid, but I found it to be extremely strange and confusing as an adult. Maybe I just loved the idea of jewels hiding in paintings? Who knows.

Oh, and it's just not a Nancy Drew book without an insult on Bess's weight! Bess is excited to tell Nancy that she has lost two pounds, and George cruelly remarks, "Bess takes it off dancing and puts it all back on by eating." And Nancy LAUGHS at this! Why is Bess still friends with them?
Aimee
Jan 20, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nancy Drew lovers
Nancy Drew finds herself right in the heart of another dangerous mystery! There are burglars in her friend's dance studio, Hannah has been tied up to a chair, Togo has been wrapped up in a drape and shoved in a closet, and a famous ballet dancer has gone missing. Not to worry though... Nancy's sleuthing skills have been put to the test and I'm sure will prove themselves trite and true once again!
Stephanie
Jan 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, children
I enjoyed the ballet element to this story as well as reading about how the jewels were stolen and smuggled into the country. I found the character of Mrs Judson to be absolutely annoying which is fairly just, while I really enjoyed reading about Nancy and I found her to be extremely humble in this story which is great.
Miri
Feb 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nancy comes to the aid of Henri and Helene Fontaine, dance teachers who have recently come to River Heights and have received threatening messages forcing them to leave their home country. In a case that has multiple angles, smuggling and underground movements, Nancy will have to keep her wits about her!
Disha.s
Aug 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All the people who haven't started reading the series
Recommended to Disha.s by: Our teacher for one of our project's
This is my first time reading a Nancy Drew Book, I found this book very intesting. I would say to all those people out there who haven;t yet read this book must read it. As it was the first book I read in the Nancy Drew series I loved it. I would say it was one of the best books I've read in my life.
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Missing Heiress (Trixie Belden #16)
  • What Happened at Midnight (Hardy Boys, #10)
  • The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #1)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)