Start by marking “Introduction To Emptiness: As Taught In Tsong-Kha-Pa's Great Treatise On The Stages Of The Path” as Want to Read:

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Readers are hard-pressed to find books that can help them understand the central concept in Mahayana Buddhism—the idea that ultimate reality is emptiness. In clear language, Introduction to Emptiness explains that emptiness is not a mystical sort of nothingness, but a specific truth that can and must be understood through calm and careful reflection. Newland's contemporary ...more
Published October 16th 2009 by Snow Lion (first published February 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Introduction To Emptiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introduction To Emptiness

Demi
Jun 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism-lamrim
This book was recommended by my teacher at my local Buddhist Center, Langri Tangpa of Brisbane. And just as Eddie said, it is a very clear and precise exploration of Emptiness, very useful for the muddled beginner in Buddhism. Normally, I burn through books in a day or two, but with this one, I've chosen to carefully consider and reflect upon each page. It is very supportive for those endeavouring to understand emptiness because it doesn't only show the one argument of emptiness, but occasionall ...more
Rob
Nov 14, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!

"...our uniqueness arises from our distinctive, ever-shifting, and infinite array of connections with other beings. We are unique and important, but we do not own our uniqueness. We have no intrinsic core...without the open sky of emptiness, the rest of the world could not shine into and through us, and we could never be what we are-living beings making choices that matter."
P. 95
Ellison
I would have preferred Guy Newland's 'Introduction to Emptiness' rather than his careful explanation of portions of Tsong Khapa's Lam Rim. It is not that I am tired of Buddhist 'scripture' it is rather that I am looking for new, freshly created 21st century (in this case american) Buddhist thought. I'm looking for his struggles on forging his path.
Petter Nordal
Nov 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book for three very different reasons.

1. It gives a very clear exposition of formal traditions of logic in the buddhist tradition, including the overlapping discourses of Indian, Tibetan and Chinese buddhist thinkers. I am especially impressed with Tsonkapa's insistence that a formal logical process which is completely seperate from both opposing arguments and lived, empirical experience is inherently flawed no matter how sound the steps of the reasoning. In continental and anglo-am
Mindy McAdams
Jun 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhist
Not an easy book, and certainly not a beginner's book, but very clearly written. Author Guy Newland is a professor in the Department of Philosophy and Religion at Central Michigan University and a scholar of Tibetan Buddhism. The Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path to Enlightenment is a vast text, published in four volumes. This much briefer text focuses on the challenging, fundamental concept of emptiness, which is important in all Buddhist traditions. It is firmly based on The Great Treat ...more
Joseph Lerner
Nov 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emptiness ("Dependence Arising") is the linchpin of Mahayana (and Tibetan) thought and practice. Lovingly translated. Somewhat tough going but the books is short (126 pages) and well worth the effort.
Dan
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a very, very clear introduction to a very difficult but fascinating topic: Lama Tsongkapa's presentation of emptiness in his "Great Treatise on the Stages of the Path." I would recommend this to anyone interested in getting a deeper understanding of emptiness and dependent arising.
Fernando Lima
Jun 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
It's a must have to anyone who wants to understand the concept of emptiness in Mahayana Buddhism. It's an accessible book to the beginning student and is written in a fresh and straightforward way. I personally, benefited much from reading this book.
bad
Apr 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddhism
good overview of tibetan middle-way buddhism as expounded by tsongkapa.
me
May 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: buddhism
Very traditional Tibetan buddhism within. Not my cup of tea. Others might like though.
Harry Rice
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Complex (in a good way) explanation of the concept of emptiness. My only objection is that it tends to hue a Buddhist "party line", especially toward the end of the book.
Stephen C
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
I found this more readable than some other books on the same subject. I very much enjoyed the appendix: The Quintessential Points Chapter by Chapter. And the glossary is very thorough.
Blaine
May 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent introduction to a difficult non-concept.
Saara Snow