Start by marking “Death in Oslo” as Want to Read:
Death in Oslo

Death in Oslo

(Vik & Stubø #3)

When Helen Barclay becomes the first female US president, the whole world takes notice. And unfortunately for President Barclay, one man takes very particular notice. He knows her dark secret, buried for over 20 years. And not only does he have the power to destroy everything she's worked for, but he also has the ultimate motive.
Published November 25th 2009 by Sphere (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Death in Oslo, please sign up.

Gabriela Silva
Oct 31, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series
Not the best book. Quite enjoyed the storyline.
Louise
May 04, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book leaves many stones unturned. The plot is at times very exciting and high paced, but the ending is disappointing to say the least. If you are after an anticlimax, this is the book for you.

Throughout the book, Anne Holt hints that more or less all the characters have secrets vital to the story. You keep reading to find out what these secrets could possibly be and how they will fit in to what is essentially a well created plot. The problem is you never find out what the secrets are. The
Antonomasia
This 4-star rating: much like when I enjoy some cheesy action film that hasn't got very good reviews, this isn't a recommendation to discerning readers - but I did have a damn good time.

Which I needed. Overwhelmed by a succession of recent books in which I was finding significant quotes on almost every page, and about some of which I felt the urge to write several-thousand word reviews that may or may not ever be finished*, my brain desperately needed a break from so much bloody meaning and imp
Theunis Snyman
Jan 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
I read this book because it was promoted as a locked room mystery and I just finished riding the tram and metro routes in Oslo on You Tube. The locked room element was quite good. But this book is not a mystery. There was no questioning of suspects or any clues. It is rather a political novel. I wouldn’t even call it a thriller. Not my kind of book at all. And in certain sections it becomes rather tedious. Just descriptions of what people are doing and saying. The only real suspense came in the ...more
Jmm
Oct 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Washington D. C., January 2005, Helen Lardahl Bentley takes the oath of office as the first female president of the United States. As the crowd cheers, President Bentley is thinking, "I got away with it . . . ."

In Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, businessman Abdallah al-Rahman is watching the inaugural event on television from his soundproof exercise room. To no one he says, "She actually thinks she got away with it!"

And in Oslo, Norway, watching the televised event, Hanne Wilhemsen speculates about the ne
Dana
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017-books-read
Sorry, but I struggled with this book - and was so pleased to finish it - I was tempted to give up. We went from political intrigue to suggestion as to what was happening and why and by whom. It felt more like a filmscript than a novel. I couldn't engage with most of the characters and I'm not sure the author knew quite what she was trying to achieve. I am afraid I thought there were a lot of holes in this web. I'll stick to watching the series like Modus that she was involved in - though come t ...more
Naomi
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Patricia
Lis
Oct 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
This book brings together the main female protagonists in both of Anne Holt's series -- Johannesburg Viking and Hanna Wilhelmsen.

It features a female US President, elected in 2004 (defeating George Washington Bush. (Published in 2006 but of course written earlier, it mentions Hillary Clinton but says "it's not her time yet. It might be her time when she's around 70." And it does not predict Barrack Obana at all.)

This plot has that president kidnapped while on a trip to Oslo. And a large plan to
Paul Hunnisett
In a series of books that are supposed to be crime thrillers, we have something that is more akin to a political spy thriller. Unlike the first two bombs in the series; there's no element of "whodunit" since we find out fairly early on. You also have to get past the basic premise of the plot - the kidnapping of the US president - which seems a little far fetched, but I was able to suspend disbelief.

It's enjoyable, but I think it's also the weakest of the three books in the series I've read so fa
Simon
Do you like Marmite? I do, so I thought I would try this crime writer, so picked it up 'blind' in my local library, nothing to lose, didn't cost me anything. The premise of the book gave me hope, the first woman US president is kidnapped? in Norway but evidence is confusing as to how and why. But I got frustrated as I wanted the nitty gritty of the investigation, I got confused and wondered where the story was going and why !!! The characters got me annoyed by page 130 I gave up.
Sherry
Mar 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Surprises and twists. Not a spoiler to say that the new female president of the USA is kidnapped in Oslo, Norway. It appears to be a closed door mystery. Adam becomes involved as a liaison between the Norwegians and the FBI . A job he hates. Johanne is not involved for quite a while. Here are many twists and turns and the reader is slowly let into some of the answers. This was a book difficult to put down. Very well thought out. I highly recommend it.
Connie
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 stars! I picked this book up in the train station shop in Oslo. I've read other books by this Norwegian author so knew what I was getting. It turns out that the story takes place at the hotel where we were staying. A good read, somewhat predictable but nevertheless, enjoyable. The first female US president has traveled to Norway for her first overseas trip and then she disappears from the Hotel Opera.
Highly recommended!
Alysha
The plot of this one was incredibly complex and i would've probably lost interest in it if i wasnt reading it on a long car journey. But i do praise that at least it wasnt cliché and johanne wasnt a main storyteller of this book which im grateful for cause she's not a protagonist that i relate well to, at all.
Suzanne
Aug 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-longer-own
So, Book 3 .. this again was a complete twist and turn from the beginning .. lots of initial chapters outlining the main players, and there are quite a few .. but I found that again such a strong storyline carried it along at a great pace. Loved the cliffhanger in the middle of the book. I also liked the introduction of the 'spin off' character and am very interested to see where they all lead.
Looking forward to reading Book 4 ..
Pamela McLeod
Much like her other books in this series, it starts well but the ending feels like something is missing. Like she doesn't know how to wrap it up, and too many unanswered of clumsily ambiguous questions left. Also the title of this one doesn't really feel fitting at all.
Lani
It started a bit slow and ended a bit abruptly, but in between was quite good. By the end, I was totally into it and not ready for it to end. This is the third book in a series, and I haven't read the first two, but it worked anyhow.
Lin
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the premise and the characters very slowly grew on me. But it only really became interesting after around page 300 and even then it did not get close to blowing me away.
I do not regret reading it, but I am happy I got it from the library.
Timo Tiilikainen
International intrigue in Oslo. Inger Johanne Vik solves the case from her armchair with a little help from her friends. A good cast of characters. My first Anne Holt book and I like her writing but my bet would be Oprah for president
Anita
Jul 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
A good Skandinavian crime story.
Lauren Finger
Not the strongest. Felt like a book the author insisted on writing, rather than one that needed to be. Hoping Johanne and Adam are back to normal for the next one.
Ona
Oct 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Well written with a good plot. It does lag in some places, and not the best when it comes to being a crime thriller.
Jack
Feb 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Norwegian based international political thriller. Very readable.
Lynda Kelly
Aug 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This fair races along and was very fast-paced and interesting although I felt a little bogged down around two-thirds in when it all got quite heavy with the political stuff.
It was interesting to see Hanne appear too in this story although we've also been handed a massive spoiler as well which made me sigh.........loudly. We're only about to have number 5 in her series released here and therefore it's spoilt that a little which is a shame as up till now I think I've preferred that series.
I missed
Helen
Jul 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Not sure why this has so many negative reviews here. The idea is an interesting one (the U.S. president disappears during an official visit to Norway) - must strike a chord with anyone who has ever been near or aware of what goes on when there is a presidential visit! It's an alternative, fictional history (instead of his 2nd term, George W. Bush has been defeated by a Democrat, a woman). Without going into too much detail about how the plot works out (who is behind the disappearance, who is pul ...more
Sharon
Dec 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ibook, purchased
Presidentens valg (Madam President/Death in Oslo. Stubo/Vik series book three. 2006/2016. iBook.
Third book and Stubo and Vik have a baby girl, they've moved and are attempting to cope with a new family. While still managing with Johanne's troubled special child by her relationship with Isaak. Then, although on leave, Stubo is pulled back to duty when the female American President visiting Oslo disappears. Johanne is still coping with post natal issues but eventually also becomes involved.
I lo
Olivia Hill
Sep 08, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good story and well written. I was somewhat put off by the fact that Helen Barclay became the 44th president (who we now know is Obama) so it is dated. It might have been better to make her the 48th or something...The author mentions Bush so it dates the story. The Arab connection is original because there is a good guy and a bad guy to my relief. There is a kind of development in the story which makes it more like real life since the secret (which I won't give away) that needs to be ...more
Jenny
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Rosemary
Jan 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First of all, this is a "stay up all night, and the hell with the things to be done on the morrow" sort of book. Having read two of her previous titles featuring Vik and Stubo, I expected to encounter the tension between them concerning a mystery in the past of Johanne and her FBI instructor. What I did not expect was a kidnapping of the first woman President of the United States, nor did I ever suspect that a thread to another series by Holt would weave itself into this narrative. I would have ...more
Bernie
Jan 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
The story revokes around a fictional US President, who has come to power after George w Bush, no Obama in this alternative history. It is a story of secrets, the obvious and not so obvious. The action, as the title would suggest takes place in and around Oslo. The other significant part of this story is that the president is a woman.

This is the first overseas visit by the new president in the land of her forebears. The story unfolds with a mysteries puppeteer who is pulling the strings from afar

• Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • Viskleken (Opcop, #1)
  • The Joona Linna Thrillers 3-Book Bundle: The Hypnotist; The Nightmare; The Fire Witness
  • Nights of Awe
  • Nobels testamente (Annika Bengtzon #6)
  • Den dubbla tystnaden (Anders Knutas, #7)
  • Yours Until Death (Varg Veum, #2)
  • The Man in the Window
  • Shame
  • Cell 8 (Grens & Sundkvist #3)
  • Tyvenes Marked
  • Until Thy Wrath be Past (Rebecka Martinsson, #4)
  • Blodläge (The Öland Quartet #3)
  • Slangebæreren (Cato Isaksen #1)
Anne Holt was born in Larvik, grew up in Lillestrøm and Tromsø, and moved to Oslo in 1978. She graduated with a law degree from the University of Bergen in 1986, and went on to work for The Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation (NRK) and then the Oslo Police Department, earning her right to practice as a lawyer in Norway. In 1990 she returned to NRK, where she worked one year as a journalist and anch ...more

Vik & Stubø (5 books)
  • What Is Mine (Vik & Stubø, #1)
  • What Never Happens (Vik & Stubø, #2)
  • Fear not (Vik & Stubø, #4)
  • Skyggedød