Start by marking “Understanding the Nature of Autism and Asperger's Disorder: Forty Years of Clinical Practice and Pioneering Research” as Want to Read:

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  12 Ratings  ·  2 Reviews
Edward R. Ritvo md is an internationally recognized medical expert, researcher and pioneer in the field of autism and Asperger's disorder and co-author of the official diagnostic criteria in the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders). Much of what is known about these disorders today is based on his painstaking research and groundbreaking discoveries. ...more
Published November 24th 2005 by Jessica Kingsley Publishers (first published November 1st 2005)

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding the Nature of Autism and Asperger's Disorder

Jan
Nov 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book on autism that I truly enjoyed reading. Dr Ritvo writes clearly and his compassion and strong interest in the subject is obvious from the very first page. Technical terms are explained for the lay man, and the book is remarkably comprehensive without being dry.

I learned about perceptual inconstancy which resonated with me as one of the side effects of a brain hemorrhage (which I had) was a sensitivity to certain sensations, and inability to feel other light touches.(unles
MJ Ranaudo
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: add-to-facebook
I've only read portions of this book so far, but I don't think there are many people I would trust more than Dr. Ritvo. He diagnosed my husband, and is extremely knowledgeable and compassionate.

"Edward R. Ritvo MD is Professor Emeritus at the UCLA School of Medicine in California, USA. He began his ... quest for understanding' of autism and Asperger's disorder in 1963, and has been on the research trail ever since."
~quoting: http://www.jkp.com/catalogue/author.p...