Start by marking “Saddled with Trouble (Horse Lover's Mystery, #1)” as Want to Read:
Saddled with Trouble (Horse Lover's Mystery, #1)

Saddled with Trouble (Horse Lover's Mystery #1)

3.59  ·  Rating details ·  282 Ratings  ·  28 Reviews
A series of a different color: the first Horse Lover's mystery. Quarter horse trainer Michaela Bancroft's husband is divorcing her for a 22 year-old beauty. Stunned, Michaela is trying to rein in her life when she finds her Uncle Lou murdered. And when she's nearly run off the road, she suspects she's on the fast track to being the next victim.
Published December 5th 2006 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published December 4th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Saddled with Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Saddled with Trouble

Denise
Feb 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun, horsey mystery!
Kristen
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, series-thriller, 2017
In Michele Scott's Saddled With Trouble, the first installment in the Horse Lover's Thriller Mystery series, you'll be welcomed to the grand world of horse racing. For Michaela Bancroft, she had enough trouble as it is, with her ex-husband's new girlfriend forcing her to sign the divorce papers, while overwhelmed in debt, and then finding her uncle murdered in his own horse stall. While she was shocked with his death, she had met Detective Jude Davis on the case, trying to find answers on her ow ...more
Lis Carey
Jun 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Michaela Bancroft is having a rough time. She's in the process of divorcing her husband, Brad Warren, after ten years of marriage. Brad's new fiancee, Kirsten, is actively harassing her to get her to sign the divorce papers instantly--without holding out for the thousands of dollars Brad owes for the medical bills insurance wouldn't cover in pursuit of a pregnancy they never achieved. Her wild friend Camden has moved in with her while waiting for the settlement on her divorce, too. And with all ...more
Thom Swennes
The book begins with the mundane but interesting dialog between Michaela Bancroft and her friend and roommate Camden. This provides the perfect base for an excellent literary soup. Michaela’s deteriorating domestic situation provides the perfect base and soon the murder of her uncle Lou was added to the mix. Lies, deceit, greed and love are added making the mystery even more baffling. The equestrian aspects form a background that succeeds in bringing the smells of hay and manure and the faint bu ...more
Deanna
Jul 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't see the killer until the end. That is saying something. I read mysteries all the time and I can usually spot who-done-it pretty quickly. However, I was completely off in this one. Way to go, Michele Scott!

On a side review--- My mom LOVED this book. She grew up with horses, so she could relate to that aspect. And has had to deal with ex-husbands who cheat, so again she could relate to that. I have limited horse history (more than some, but not enough to really appreciate that aspect of t
Geena Barret
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: equestrian
I loved this book! It was such a great start of introducing characters to a series. Michaela is very enjoyable to read about as she embarks on her own sleuthing to discover who really was the killer of her beloved Uncle Lou. Her comrade Joe is hands-down one of my favorite characters I have read in a while. He is one that definitely sticks with you. How can you not love someone with a multitude of cousins in what seems like every trade? I also adore Jude, the attractive detective on the case. Ca ...more
Phair
Not the best horse mystery I've read. The cover is misleading- it looks to be an English or East coast setting but is rather California and Quarter Horse/Reigning & rodeo. It was a quick read with plenty of suspects & relationships to explore. The horse stuff was OK- not a lot of detail but adequate. I tend to read author notes and extra stuff at front or back before starting a book but stumbled into the epilogue by mistake and read a spoiler before I noticed so that blew the 'mystery' ...more
Nov 09, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fairly entertaining read. The mystery was wrapped up in quite a few red herrings and any number of characters could have been the whodunit, so it definitely kept me thinking.

I wasn't too fond of some of the stereotyping or the fact that the book ended with far too many loose ends (though it seems that the story may continue through multiple books?), but I did enjoy the focus on the horse world.
Melissa
Michaela Bancroft Mystery series book 1

Lots of intrigue about family, money and horses. I wasn't so happy with the evolution of the mysteries. They seemed kind of dropped in at times. But I do like the main character and her best friend. I may try another volume to see how that story flows.
Patty
Nov 23, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: no one
This book was really disappointing. It read as though it were written by a young juvenile who didn't have much experience with how people actually talk in the real world (or maybe just doesn't know how to write their conversations out?) The plot was okay but trying to get past the bad dialogue was not really worth the effort. I won't be looking for any more books by this author.
Kayla Sloan
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have read the others in the series already (even though this is supposed to be book one). They were good. Because I read them out of order, I find that this book is providing a lot of background knowledge about the main character, some of which I already know and some of which is helpful in understanding the two I have already read.
Jan
May 31, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit, borrowed
If you like horses, you enjoy this series, this being the first book. Horse trainer, Michaela Bancroft, has worked hard to gain a reputation in a man's world for showing and breeding quarter horses. Her ex-husband leaves her for a rodeo queen and Michaela's uncle provides proof of his philandering. Uncle winds up dead and it goes downhill for Michaela from there.
Andy Plonka
I'm not really into the amateur sleuth gig but I like horses and thought I'd give this a try. The plotcenters on Artificial Insemination in horses. It is pretty easy to guess the perpetrator and the author doesn't make you think much. She gives too much information.
Holly
Jul 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A pleasant surprise! I'm not much into the QH scene, and the last couple series like this I've tried to get into have been disappointing, so I wasn't expecting much out of this other than a "horsey" read. Got much more. I hope the sequel is as good!
Angela
Jul 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very easy read. Good mystery story, with details about horse training (which i really liked). The book kept me interested and was surprised at the ending. I'm excited to read the next 2 books in the series.
Rebecca Hollingsworth
Excellent mystery

This is an amazing murder mystery book that will keep you guessing the whole way through. The author does an amazing job keeping your interest and leaving you wanting more!
Helen Taylor
Feb 17, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jen
Quick cute story. I want to see where the characters go from here in the next book. Too many options in the killer department for my taste though.
Cassie
Jan 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horse-books
How can I read this after I mark it as to read?
Tammy
A cute little mystery with round characters and a bumbling Miss Marple wanna be. It's a fast read and pretty good summer mystery.
Jen
Sep 26, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
i liked this book but I prefer her wine mystery series.
Charles Sheehan-Miles
A light, quick and enjoyable read. First book I've read by Michelle Scott, but I'll be picking up more.
Sue
Mar 21, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I discovered this book, the first in the Horse Lover's Mystery series while I was browsing in a book store while on vacation in Chicago. It was an enjoyable and fun book to read.
Marilyn
Apr 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

the murders were so sudden and the young woman who was related to the first victim.the the investigation took many twists.
Rebecca
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle-free
Enjoyable.
B.
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good story. Well written. Good background of horse industry.
Shawnee
Jan 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think I read this before. quick read.
Donna
Misha
Jan 05, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Courage of Fear
  • Hare Today, Dead Tomorrow (Reigning Cats & Dogs Mystery, #4)
  • Killer In The Hills (A Jack Rhodes Mystery Book 2)
  • The Wicked Flea (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #14)
  • Jaclyn's Ghost
  • Rock & Roll Rip-Off
  • And We Danced (Dancing with Horses, #1)
  • The More the Terrier (Pet Rescue Mystery #2)
  • Horse Fever (Saddle Club, #85)
  • The Scent of Jade
  • Heir of the Dog (Dog Walker Mysteries, #2)
  • A Cat of a Different Color (Alice Nestleton Mystery #2)
  • The Sun Never Rises in the Big City
  • Yip/Tuck (Pampered Pets Mystery #4)
  • Ultimate Risk (Thoroughbred, #40)
Michele grew up thirty minutes east of San Diego in an area called Jamul. It was out there in the country that her parents bought Michele’s first horse and she learned how to ride at five. At nine years old she knew she loved to write and one day wrote a short story that she showed to her dad. She’d written it on one of his legal pads. After he read it, he looked at her and said, “You are a writer ...more
More about Michele Scott...

Horse Lover's Mystery (3 books)
  • Death Reins In (Horse Lover's Mystery, #2)
  • Tacked to Death (Horse Lover's Mystery, #3)
“or— and this was a thought she hated” 0 likes