Start by marking “Angel Dust Apocalypse” as Want to Read:
Angel Dust Apocalypse

Angel Dust Apocalypse

Meth-heads, man-made monsters, and murderous Neo-Nazis. Blissed out club kids dying at the speed of sound. The un-dead and the very soon-to-be-dead. They're all here, trying to claw their way free. From the radioactive streets of a war-scarred future, where the nuclear bombs have become self-aware, to the fallow fields of Nebraska where the kids are mainlining lightning bu ...more
Published February 10th 2005 by Eraserhead Press

To ask other readers questions about Angel Dust Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Dust Apocalypse

John Dies at the End by David  WongVacation by Jeremy C. ShippHELP!  A Bear is Eating Me! by Mykle HansenThe Cannibals of Candyland by Carlton Mellick IIIApeshit by Carlton Mellick III
Bizarro
316 books — 240 voters
Trainspotting by Irvine WelshRequiem for a Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.Junky by William S. BurroughsScar Tissue by Anthony KiedisTweak by Nic Sheff
Addicts
227 books — 441 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Angel Dust Apocalypse
Garrett Cook
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if post Gen X/Gen Y middleschoolers still have to go through the DARE program and hear the local constabulary fum faw through how marijuana makes you forget things and crack and heroin mean certain death. At my DARE graduation, I got to hear one member of the Kingston Trio perform. He didn't even play Hang Down Your Head Tom Dooley. Several kids in the same DARE class as me laughed through it, did drugs and went about their lives as if it didn't happen. This wasn't an honest portray ...more
Bill
Mar 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star-reads
Wow! How can I not be a huge fan of short stories and still give this one 5 stars? Easy. From the first short forward, these tales were crazy good! The stories are very well written with tight prose and some genuinely creepy mother f@cking sh*t going down. Deranged medical experiments, infantilism, body mods, crank heads and a Wolf. What's not to like.

Highly Recommended! 5 Stars! I am looking forward to more from JRJ!
Steve Lowe
May 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Polished, well-told, unique, simply outstanding short stories. To pigeon-hole JRJ as simply a Bizarro author would be wrong. Much like Cameron Pierce and Andersen Prunty, this boy is a writer first, who simply knows how to tell a story well. Much less whacked-out Bizarro and much more cerebral, rock-solid fiction here than I went in expecting.
Jackson
Nov 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of literary short fiction with sci-fi/horror crossover appeal. NOT only for fans of bizarro.
Recommended to Jackson by: the author
Here is my review of ADA from Verbicide #14 (summer 2005):

Regardless of whether short story collections are as popular or as lucrative as novels, they are my favorite literary medium. Fellow Verbicide writer Kris Sevillena recently informed me that Edgar Allen Poe — in addition to writing fiction and poetry — was also a literary critic who expressly read and wrote about short stories, as he strongly disliked the lost momentum when he wasn’t able to finish a novel in a single sitting.

I’ll agree w
Ben Loory
Dec 26, 2010 rated it really liked it
johnson thanks selby, burroughs, vonnegut, barker, king, and ellroy (among others) in the dedication of this book, and i see all of them in his writing, but the guy he most reminds me of is william gibson. he has the same kind of unlimited imagination, same unrelentingly furious forward movement, same dark interest in altered states of consciousness, and, most importantly, the same kind of complete and seemingly unshakable belief in the scientific reality of the world (most obvious in those stor ...more
Ms. Nikki
I slept on it and decided Queen Critical would bestow her ever-elusive 5 Stars upon this notable read. There was a such depth to this read that I couldn't help but connect with the characters/writer on a fundamental level.
The stories were thought-provoking, entertaining, and cleverly written.
I highly recommend this piece, not as weird, bizarre, or horror, but just as fiction written to make you feel, think, ponder.

5 Stars- The League of Zeroes - Body Modification. Will it be all you hope for?

Raegan Butcher
Jul 18, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Raegan by: Jackson Ellis
What a great title! And an excellent collection of weird stories that defy easy categorization. Jeremy Robert Johnson once offered to buy me a beer in Portland a few years back but like a jerk I declined (because I was on the wagon). I've regretted it ever since.
Christy Stewart
This book is an EST.

It is one of the smartest, funniest, saddest, bestest books I have ever read.
Michael
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great fiction is great fiction regardless of the genre associated with it. Angel Dust is a collection of dark, weird stories with an undercurrent of horror mixed in just to keep it interesting. Written when Bizarro was carving out its niche as the current underground phenomenon and it still stands up well. When you want to find out why Bizarro was so good, why did so many people latch onto it? This is a good representation of why.

It’s a great collection that not everyone will appreciate, or e
Matt Margo
Just as one of Stephen King's best short story collections encourages the reader to work the "Night Shift," this riveting anthology from Jeremy Robert Johnson encourages the reader to enter the "Angel Dust Apocalypse." Reading this book does indeed have the feel of entering a newfound, blissful end of the world (or, more accurately, of the world as we know it). Johnson's writing clearly pulls influence from not only great horror authors such as King but also great satire authors such as Vonnegut ...more
Eric Hendrixson
Nov 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
This collection of short stories is now five years old, and it shows its age. The style and spirit of this book is maybe 15 to 20 years out of fashion. Really, the sensibility of this book is firmly tied into the Cyberpunk and Mirrorshades style that flourished in 80s scifi writing and reemerged in movies of the late 90s and early 00s. This doesn't bother me in the least. I love that stuff.

Johnson does not love his characters. That is interesting to me because so many of them go to extremes (ext
Oct 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Angel Dust Apocalypse" is an fantastic, dark, and smart collection of short stories and flash fiction. Most of the pieces explore the human quest for acceptance, affirmation, self worth, and love. A man undergoes an insane body modification. A woman grows to rely on her abductor for companionship. A boy performs surgery on himself and wonders at the immediate effect that his actions have on his family. Each story is unique in its voice, but they all come together to create a unified book. I can ...more
Bill Ahern
Jul 28, 2010 rated it did not like it
the book is a compilation of short stories pertaining to bizarre or supernatural fiction. The bland writing contrasted with the failed attempts at shock value, which is unfortunate because aside form that, some of the stories introduced some cool concepts that simply faltered.
David
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Back in the 80's, Stephen King proclaimed, "I have seen the future of horror... and his name is Clive Barker." Well, there was some good stuff there (Books of Blood, The Inhuman Condition) but I lost interest after The Damnation Game, not that it wasn't a good book. I didn't have any money for any books other than textbooks back then. My friend Paul called him a "weenie" after he blew off a speaking engagement back in college without notice. But I digress....

I think that King was a bit premature
Brett Starr
Apr 16, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Electricity sparkled across the surface of his blackened flesh like so much glitter....

"Angel Dust Apocalypse" is quite possibly one of the best unusual/weird/creepy/hypnotic books of short stories out there!

At the beginning of the book, JRJ says a nice thank you to several authors including, Chuck Palahniuk, Stephen King, Clive Barker and Irvine Welsh for being his inspiration! His short stories show that he is a fan of all those outstanding writers!

There is even a blurb on the back of the bo
Tabitha
Sep 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Where do I even begin? By talking at length about other books of course...
Okay, so in the last year or so I had an attack of "I need to read some grown up, modern books so they don't revoke my intelligent-adult membership card." So I picked up a few books that had been highly recommended, but still seemed like something I'd actually want to read. Fast forward to me reading the Tenth of December. It was good, right? Like it was supposed to be (tons of famous people speaking in cover blurbs can't
Jamie Whitman
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this as a gift for a friend and had the opportunity to read it myself before handing it over. I figured he might like some bizarro horror. But I can't tell if this book is a little too weird for his tastes, or a little too normal. The problem is the stories vary so much. It's hard to do a review on the entire book.

If all the stories had continued in the same vein as the first one I think I would have REALLY liked this book. The League of Zeroes sets the tone for some kind of cyberpunk f
Kate

I absolutely loved this book. I thought the writing was exceptional, the stories had depth and even the shortest story drew you in with it's character development. Labelling this read as just bizarro would be wrong as it offered far more than just bizarro stories.

These are some of my favourites:

Amniotic shock in the last sacred place - Horrifying experimentation.

Precedents - A murder told from the end to the beginning, very clever.

Working at home - Nasty little story with creepy crawlies.

Sparkl
Kathryn
2 1/2 stars.

Dissociative Skills, Precedents, Luminary, Saturn's Game, and Swimming in the House of the Sea were all worth the short time it took to read. I would happily recommend these stories to anyone slightly interested in this book. Amniotic Shock in the Last Sacred Place, Stanley's Lips, Ex-Hale, Priapism, Branded, Sparklers Burning, Last Thoughts Drifting Down, and Wall of Sound: A Movement in Three Parts I disliked, completely, for a variety of reasons, the main one being the amateurish
scott
Feb 02, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This short story collection opens with a pair of tales ("The League of Zeroes" and "Dissociative Skills") which made me uncomfortable much like Chucky P's "Guts" chapter in Haunted did (especially the latter). That immediately earned my respect, as I'm far from squeamish. From there, JRJ conducts us through stories of medical experiments, nuclear winters, murderers, misfits, and drug (ab)use, all written compellingly, expertly, with dark humor rippling throughout.

The biggest compliment I can giv
Steve
Jul 15, 2017 rated it liked it
I bet he likes Cronenberg movies.
Mac
Jun 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
The synopsis of this book promised me everything I've been wanting to read lately...but the stories didn't deliver. Some of the stories satisfied me, whether because of their jarring imagery or the way the author imagines the culmination of present societal pressures and problems. Mostly, however, these short stories failed to pay off. I like what the author is doing and will definitely be trying his new book, but this one will be divested in my next unhaul.
X-ray
Nov 11, 2007 rated it liked it
Neo-realist dribble with a slap-dash Punk rock paint coat. These stories aim to shock-- that isn't novel with me anymore. Whats left is a group of hit and miss stories. There are some good ones, shades of Cronenberg's films, or neat premises. But just as many fail as succeed.
Aaron
Engaging and a lot of fun, plenty brutal and a touch gory. A fascinating collection that well defines anti-apocalyptic downfall of civilization, only to come roaring into post-apoc with a story about a cockroach suit and falling bombs.
Donald Armfield
Jan 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A Great collection of short stories. Love the title & front cover art work.

I really hope a lil kid does not get a hold of this book, i feel bad for teachers & parents when he starts bitting peoples noses off & asking for MDMA in his juice boxes.

READ THIS!!
Kurt Newton
Apr 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Psychedelic, surreal, inventively insane!
Timothy
Sep 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of short (sick ,twisted) stories.
Matthew Revert
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A book with very high emotional resonance and as such, very highly recommended.
Edward Stafford
Jul 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Remember when you had to seek out subculture? Back in the pre-internet dark ages, finding your fellow freaks flying their flags was a lot more difficult and, I would argue, a lot more rewarding. Picking up Angel Dust Apocalypse and diving into the first story, "The League of Zeroes," was like being whisked back to the early 90s when reading Neuromancer and those RE/Search books like Modern Primitives and The Industrial Culture Handbook felt subversive. Having read a lot of horror, sci fi, fantas ...more
Daryl
Jan 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
There are some really strong stories in here. Some are repeated in his later anthology, but there are plenty of really good ones that were new to me. I like how JRJ keeps things really weird in every story--he's a talent to watch.
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Dystopian Society: Book Suggestion 33 137 Mar 03, 2015 12:39PM
Bizarro Fiction: ANGEL DUST APOCALYPSE Finally Hits Kindle! 5 69 Feb 11, 2013 06:52AM

• The Bizarro Starter Kit (Orange)
  • Satan Burger
  • The Haunted Vagina
  • Ass Goblins of Auschwitz
  • The Cannibals of Candyland
  • Rico Slade Will F*cking Kill You
  • HELP!  A Bear is Eating Me!
  • Piecemeal June
  • Apeshit
  • Dead Bitch Army
  • The Menstruating Mall
  • Short Bus
  • Geek Love
  • Variant (Variant, #1)
  • Outpost (Razorland, #2)
  • The Blue Girl (Newford, #15)
  • 501 Great Artists: A Comprehensive Guide to the Giants of the Art World