Start by marking “A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister” as Want to Read:
A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister

A Month of Sundays: Searching for the Spirit and My Sister

3.57  ·  Rating details ·  467 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
After witnessing her older sister's losing battle with pancreatic cancer, "her journey though the dark landscape of religious doubt toward her God," Mars was overtaken with a compulsion: she wanted to go to church. So, she dedicated herself to visiting 31 houses of worship over a period of as many weeks. A Month of Sundays is the story of her enlightening spiritual pilgrim ...more
Published May 1st 2005 by GreyCore Press (first published April 15th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about A Month of Sundays, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Month of Sundays

Leslie
Jul 30, 2007 rated it really liked it
The author, Julie Mars, loses her sister to cancer after caring for her in her dying months. She returns home to New Mexico and finds she wants two things. The second is this:
"My second serious desire is to go to church. I am surprised and a little afraid of this, so I set up some ground rules for myself. I will go to church every Sunday for thirty-one weeks: a month of Sundays. I will dress up and arrive a half hour early to take a picture with Shirley's simple camera, which I have taken from h
Mollie
Dec 02, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: religion, non-fiction
I read this book as someone who enjoys church hopping... but that's not even nearly the meat of the book.
It's a very personal memoir about processing grief and life's purpose and mysteries. The churches/places of worship are just an interesting backdrop.
Having suffered some large losses in the past few years of my life the first third of the book was a little bit gut-wrenching but then I got past it and it really was a nicely done memoir structured in an interesting an really very satisfying way
Debora Baird
Nov 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This is one of those rare books that really makes me evaluate my beliefs and how I go about life. Very interesting to read about the different religions. I'm so glad I'm not as lost as the author is. We need to do this for book club, but it does use the F word once--just sayin'.
Joanna
Mar 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book was fabulous! The author went to 31 different churches for 31 weeks (a month of Sundays) and she tells about them all. It's pretty facsinating.
Andie
Aug 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I would have liked to ride along with the author on her Sunday morning visits.
Lindsey Gandhi
This is really in between a 3 and 4 rating. I lean towards the 4 on the aspect that Mars is really raw with sharing her grief over the loss of her sister and how she wanted to try and meet that grief head on. There were many times I was crying right along with her. I lean towards the 3 rating for the fact that I felt like she never really found what she was searching for. And that in itself is okay, I guess I had the expectation that by the end of the book she would have found some answer. It di ...more
Monica Tomasello
Ms. Mars spends a month of Sundays (31 weeks) visiting a different church each week looking for spiritual guidance and the spirit of her beloved sister. Each week she takes something different away from the service-some good, some not.

I appreciated and learned from her analysis, too, as well as her struggle to find solace.
Char
Aug 14, 2017 rated it liked it
The timing of me reading this book was very fitting. When you are grieving for a lost loved one, even if it's 12 years later, it's comforting to read a book about the journey of someone else as they work through their own grieving process.
Sean Hall
Aug 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Very relatable, especially if you have had a sick family member and may have had to care for them - but also anyone who has searched for religious meaning in life, death, and God.
Catherine
Nov 17, 2007 rated it really liked it
Julie Mars spends the last seven months of her sister's life with her as she's dying from pancreatic cancer. After her sister's death, the author spends a month of Sundays going to 31 different churches seeking spiritualism during her grieving process. Mars writes of her feelings with frankness and honesty as she reflects on her feelings during her sister's illness and then onto her own grief. This book was not easy to read. It brought back a lot of my own personal memories of grieving.
Brandy
A Month of Sundays is about one woman's spiritual quest after losing her sister to pancreatic cancer. This memoir is quite haunting and more than a bit sad, though Mars doesn't seem isolated in her grief. She takes the reader along for her ride to all 31 churches over the course of 31 weeks. Her emotions are stark and her story is as intriguing as it is heartbreaking.
Suzanne
Apr 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is a book about the spiritual journey of a woman who goes to a different church every week for 31 weeks. You don't get much real info about the churches. It is more her musings on trying to make sense of the death of her sister. It was a very powerful narrative on family relationships, illness, and death. I recommend it.
Rachelle
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bookclub-reads
A very interesting book and it really made for some great discussion at our book club. My heart just aches this poor woman. She is so lost and I really hope that one day she is able to find real peace.
Denise
Jul 28, 2008 rated it liked it
An interesting view of a search for oneself and coming to terms with loss but seeking out lessons from various churches. It's not about trying new religions but where the author is mentally at each church
May 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
An interesting story about a woman's spiritual journey and complicated family relationships. It was not outstanding, but a very good book, and valuable read for anyone on their own spiritual journey.
Joelle
Mar 23, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Its so nice when someone does something consistently - a great idea for a book.. loved it and have recommended to alot of people.
Deb
Nov 03, 2007 rated it it was ok
the author writes of visiting different churches and her search for meaning after the suffering and death of her sister. I felt bad for her. She just doesn't get IT.
Jen
Feb 19, 2008 rated it really liked it
Very candid account of a woman's faith journey.
Samiksha
  • The Meaning of Consuelo
  • Song of the Simple Truth: The Complete Poems of Julia de Burgos
  • Swimming with Giants: My Encounters with Whales, Dolphins and Seals
  • My Lai 4: A Report on the Massacre and Its Aftermath
  • Novels, 1930-1942: Dance Night / Come Back to Sorrento / Turn, Magic Wheel / Angels on Toast / A Time to Be Born
  • Extravagance