Start by marking “Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd” as Want to Read:

This groundbreaking book unleashes a brilliant new plan for permanently curing heartburn by relieving the root cause of the problem: low stomach acid.

The fact is that heartburn is caused by too little stomach acid -- not too much, as many doctors profess. As explained in this book, the current practice of reducing stomach acid may be a temporary fix, but this fix comes at
Published August 20th 2001 by M. Evans and Company

To ask other readers questions about Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You, please sign up.
Mark The book claims to alter your diet and microbiome so that you do not need PPIs. However, it involves what some might consider radical lifestyle change…moreThe book claims to alter your diet and microbiome so that you do not need PPIs. However, it involves what some might consider radical lifestyle changes. These dietary changes also often lead to weight loss.(less)

Start your review of Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd
Leslie
Mar 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Completely changed my thinking and alleviated much of my digestive issues. The somewhat long-winded diatribe against the pharmaceutical companies prevented me from giving the book 5 stars, not to mention hurting the credibility of the book by its overbearing tone. Also, the book may want to include recent studies that showed the effects of long-term usage of PPI's, and the common acid-rebound problems with people who've tried to quite PPI's.
Jason Fella
Jul 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is an excellent book, written by an incredible holistic-minded physician. This guy knows his stuff: Dr. Wright was the guy who brought bio-identical hormone therapy to the U.S. He explains in a lot of detail why stomach acid is critical for the health of the entire human body. Where some of the myths or misunderstandings about it came about, etc. He also explains how to easily and inexpensively test/treat yourself with HCL/pepsin capsules in a very concise manner. I found that my acid level ...more
Jem
Feb 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Stomach acid is needed for digestion. Sounds obvious, but modern pharmas would have you and your money believing otherwise.
Karen
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book to read if you want to understand what happens in your body from the moment you bite into something through eliminating it. Excellent digestion resource. Does get redundant regarding the key message of low stomach acid but that is because he is trying to make an important point. Low stomach acid can be the cause of most of the digestive problems, yet we are given anti acid blockers and suppressants to decrease our stomach acid further.

It will remain in my resource library.
Daryoung
Interesting hypothesis (acid and indegestion issues stem from too little acid, not too much) and, although I'm not sure I would dare to actually take HCl, I have to say that I'm inclined to believe the hypothesis, at least to some extent. I agree with the authors about the damage done to many who take acid inhibitors long-term.
Ken Orton
Feb 22, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: medical
There are many plusses and minuses for the book. On the plus side, the authors point out the dangers of modern pharmaceuticals used for all kinds of irritable bowel problems, especially the so-called proton pump inhibitors when used for long terms. Because of the plethora of dangerous side effects most people should get off these drugs which produce billions of dollars for pharma companies who really don't care if you get better overall and produce "relief of symptoms". Both primary care physici ...more
Nan
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fascinating
Jonathan
Apr 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended.

This book is an interesting exploration of the biology of stomach acid and how our medicines that suppress acid are actually doing more harm than good. The book seems to have a bias towards natural medicine, so keep that in mind, but the information is really interesting.
Nadia
My MD loaned me this book after I had a visit to Emergency late one night and received a diagnosis of hyper-acidity and was prescribed Prilosec. At the time my MD was on a Medical Mission trip and when she returned I went in for a follow-up, she urged me to read this book advising that rather than hyper-acidity it was more likely I had low stomach acid (which is common in Thyroid patients). The first dose of Betaine HCL I took with my evening meal, resulted in immediate reduction of indigestion ...more
Dark Star
Jan 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Quality information from a quality guy. This is a very well written book by someone who really cares deeply about the
Grete
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent information on the health of the gut.
Emily Blasik
Mar 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: health, nta-reads
Suffer from GERD? Step away from the Prilosec. Read this book first. The writing's not great, but the arguments against PPIs are convincing enough.
Lisa Gaunky
Jun 29, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Mistake

I chose this rating because I've been following the author's advice to not take omeprazole. I saw my gastroenterologist today and he explained that while my lifestyle and dietary changes were all good things (more walking and better eating habits), my esophagus has scar tissue in it that is harmed by acid reflux. Heartburn and acid reflux are really 2 different things. I'm having less heartburn because of changes I've made, but you don't necessarily feel acid reflux. In my case, the reaso
Laura Love
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nta-reading
Excellent book. First consider how the human body, specifically digestion, is supposed to work. Then treat the cause, not the symptom, of indigestion, reflux, GERD, which is primarily a case of inadequate stomach acid. Three centuries of medical evidence linking asthma to low stomach acid. Too many people are being misdiagnosed, inadequately tested, and given the wrong treatment for their disease.
Jeanenne Hilliard
The key to health and absorbing your nutrients! A read for all people. Simple changes can make a world of difference in how you feel. He explains stomach acid and it’s role in our nourishment and health. There are lots of examples of his patients that make this book SO interesting!
Kim Zinkowski
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
B. Of personal interest at the time...fortunately no longer.
Eric
Jan 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Life-changing book. Wish I've read this book 10 years ago when my Heartburn was aggressive. Spent most of my life taking Nexium.
sandip Tagalpallewar
Mar 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very good book and very informative , It is sad how this indigestion is treated by today's doctors.This book talk about indigestion in details and it causes and natural remedies.
Marsha Cicerchia Gutierrez
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book has completely changed the way I approach my diet and mood. Life changing at this point as a woman refusing gallbladder removal surgery and trying to keep healthy.
Paul Espey
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
On day 3 now without using Prilosec or any other anti-acid. For 15 years I’ve never been able to go without it for longer than 24 hours and I’ve tried many times. So far, I’ve been impressed with the remedies in the book. 👍👍
Steve
May 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health, 2016
I went looking for information about taking care of heartburn without drugs. I found sundry urban folklore advice from every kind of quack and alternative fetishist there is. I picked this book because the author is actually a practicing MD.

According to the author heartburn, GERD, and related problems are actually caused by too little stomach acid, not to much. Acid suppressing drugs make these problems worse by not treating low acid levels in the stomach. When acid levels in the stomach are low
Brieanna
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health
Amazing, enlightening, life-changing read on digestion.

Most people (~90%) suffer from insufficient production of hydrochloric acid (stomach acid). When you cannot properly break down your foods, they begin to putrify, rancidify, and ferment in your stomach...causing the bubbling up of stomach acid through the esophageal sphincter (where it is not meant to be and can cause damage). Many people believe that they are over-producing hydrochloric acid, but the opposite is true! Doctors are blindly p
Cigdem DS
Sep 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book made me realise what acid blockers and antibiotics were doing to me!! 10 years with h.pylori, laprozole for 30 days and 3000 mg antibiotics a day for a week for every year and none of the doctors bothered to test my stomach acid level. My poor stomach became weaker and weaker day by day. I'm on Mastic, Vitamin A and DGL for a week now and I can say I already feel better.
Lisbeth Laursen
Jan 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Super book! Very relevant information - also about depression.
Danilo
Jul 10, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet
  • Motivational Interviewing in Health Care: Helping Patients Change Behavior
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome
  • Put Your Heart In Your Mouth
  • Nourishing Traditions: The Cookbook That Challenges Politically Correct Nutrition and the Diet Dictocrats
  • The PEACE Process: Attract a Steady Stream of Clients and Create a Thriving Holistic Practice
  • Medical Medium Thyroid Healing: The Truth behind Hashimoto's, Graves', Insomnia, Hypothyroidism, Thyroid Nodules  Epstein-Barr
  • Staying Healthy with Nutrition, rev: The Complete Guide to Diet and Nutritional Medicine
  • The Dental Diet: The Surprising Link between Your Teeth, Real Food, and Life-Changing Natural Health
  • Hashimoto's Thyroiditis: Lifestyle Interventions for Finding and Treating the Root Cause
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Unconventional Medicine: Join the Revolution to Reinvent Healthcare, Reverse Chronic Disease, and Create a Practice You Love
  • How to Eat: All Your Food and Diet Questions Answered
  • The Girls Weekend
  • The Last Wife
  • The Autoimmune Wellness Handbook: A DIY Guide to Living Well with Chronic Illness
  • The Food Babe Way: Break Free from the Hidden Toxins in Your Food and Lose Weight, Look Years Younger, and Get Healthy in Just 21 Days!

News & Interviews

“For the reasons stated above, I am convinced that in a large percentage of cases, depression is the result of a neurotransmitter deficiency which is most often due to low stomach acid. In over 50 percent of cases, depression is treatable by supplying (relatively) large quantities of the essential amino acids” 1 likes