Start by marking “Mornings in Mexico” as Want to Read:
Mornings in Mexico

Mornings in Mexico

Much of D.H. Lawrence's life was defined by his passion for travel and it was those wanderings that gave life to some of his greatest novels. In the 1920s Lawrence travelled several times to Mexico, where he was fascinated by the clash of beauty and brutality, purity and darkness that he observed. The diverse and evocative essays that make up Mornings in Mexico wander from ...more
Published August 30th 2009 by Tauris Parke Paperbacks (first published 1902)

To ask other readers questions about Mornings in Mexico, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mornings in Mexico

Start your review of Mornings in Mexico
Yarb
Nov 03, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: your-library
I've avoided Lawrence since reading Women in Love and Lady Chatterly's Lover back in university, but I saw this on someone else's shelf and borrowed it. Thought it might be something different, but it was the same prettified, uninsightful codswallop, proclaiming how gosh-darned inscrutable those Mexicans are - but not to the great DHL, oh no, he knows what makes them tick, he's got them all figured out! What a wanker he was!
Caley
Feb 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
A surprisingly tasteful and delicate gem of a travel journal. Given the historical timeframe, I expected a more colonialist approach, but Lawrence maintains a careful balance between the paternalism of his generation and a genuine curiosity for Mexican culture. The Spanish is a bit off in parts and it's clear this collection wasn't heavily edited, but these little defects actually add a whit of charm. "Indians and Entertainment" is a great synthesis of Native American and Anglo culture from an ...more
Erika
May 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
How do you adapt or feel comfortable in an environment that is not yours, in a country that is not your own- you observe and adapt. The key lies in destroying everything familiar and habitual and approach all new without judgement.
"In the old world, men make themselves two great excuses for coming together: market and religion. To buy, to sell, to barter, to exchange. To exchange, above all, human contact".
I enjoyed, I loved everything about this book. The utter calm that is placed on me, the
LeeAnn Heringer
This may have been my favorite book that I read all year. It starts with the essay on the relationship of the parrots in his garden to himself and dog and his servant and goes up from there. All the while saying interesting, thought-halting things about religion and culture and ourselves.

This is one of the few books that I'm actually going to keep a copy of on my bookshelf rather than recycling.
Janet
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This collection of lyrical essays about Mexico and New Mexico is exquisite. The description of the Hopi snake dance is amazing. The title essay (Mornings in Mexico) is just gorgeous. Lawrence wrote prose as if it were poetry.

What a pleasure to reread after all these years.
Paul
May 24, 2014 rated it liked it
A collection of essays, mostly from 1924, Mornings in Mexico is D.H. Lawrence’s keen observations of the Zapotec Indians in Mexico, and the native Indians of the American Southwest. Lawrence does well to get inside the head of the Zapotec Indians, although my impression from his text was that he was intrigued by their beliefs and ways while at the same time mocking them, or perhaps it is just the whimsical prose of his essays. He prefers the continual regeneration of everything from nothing in ...more
John Tetteroo
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: english, non-fiction
The clear rhythmic prose by D.H. Lawrence, follows the beat of the ancient indian dances he is privy to have watched when they still meant something other than tourist entertainment. He makes you think about the place of humans in the universe we live in and questions in how far we can identify with the psyche of the indigenous indian or indeed any animistic people. We can only have a second ghost separate of our main ghost to live the mind of the other belief domain.

Apart from his essays on
Karen
Jul 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, classics
A beautiful collection of travel essays thoughtfully written by Lawrence about his life among the Mexican and New Mexican Indians. Lawrence and his wife didn't just pass through and buy a few trinkets at a roadside souvenir stand, they lived there and immersed themselves, as best they could as outsiders, in everything he writes about. Someone else here wrote that he writes prose as if it were poetry which is absolutely true - his repetitive phrasing makes these stories lyrical and poetic. His ...more
interno storie
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Quando Lawrence apre questo racconto è mattina, manca una settimana a Natale, si trova a sud di Santa Fè, a Oxaca nella contea di Taos, ha dimora presso il Kiowa Ranch. Soggiorna in Messico più volte tra il 1922 e il 1925, ammalato di tubercolosi trova riparo nel clima mite del luogo.
In Messico (Nuova Editrice Berti) prima ancora di considerarlo un diario di viaggio, è uno studio antropologico sugli indigeni, il cui nucleo originario è nel Serpente piumato.
Le città si esauriscono in poche vie,
Bob Nichols
This is a collection of stories about life in old Mexico and the Southwest U.S. in the early 1900s. New to Lawrence, it took some time before I connected with his style. It is rich with observation and description. In one piece, he writes that "If there were no churches to mark a point in these villages, there would be nowhere at all to make for. The sense of nowhere is intense...." The market he says, is more than a place to buy and sell. Above all, it's a place to "comingle" and "To exchange, ...more
Jonathan Franks
Oct 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved the writing style and imagery, slow, meandering like a relaxed conversation. The book does seem to include the implicit racism of the time which subtracts from the enjoyment. However, overlooking that the descriptions of religion and the culture are pretty neat.
Angela
Nov 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
Impressively racist and pretentious...but strangely beautiful.
MEGAN C
Jul 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Interesting in parts but mostly just v. racist
Anthony Peter
Apr 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
Two and a half stars, really: sometimes I really enjoyed it when Lawrence was ripping along with the description, while at others I was bogged down by the Gospel of St Herbert of Nottingham.

These are simply a collection of essays-cum-travelogues based on Lawrence's time in Mexico and New Mexico. They cover topics such as his dog, a picnic, market day, a walk, the nature of aboriginal peoples, the difference between Western and aboriginal culture, and lengthy descriptions of Indian ritual dances.
Jeaninne Escallier Kato
Since I have a penchant for anything that transpired in the 1920's, coupled with my love of Mexico, well, "Mornings in Mexico" should have been a hit out of the park for me. Sadly, it wasn't. I did appreciate D.H. Lawrence's gift of description, where he has a talent for making a dew drop come alive. And, yes, at times he captured the nuances I love about Mexico: the light, the tastes, the air, the stillness, the smells, and the dramatic extremes in cultures. However, that is precisely where ...more
Diane
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Meh! Admittedly, Oaxaca was a very different place a hundred years ago but with Lawrence's telling it must as well have been Pluto. Some of his descriptions are lovely but his prose is almost inaccessible at times and his attitude superior which I guess was pretty common place at that time. Killed all motivation to read his The Plumed Serpent which was inspired by his time there.
mbsquared
Jun 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Loved the first half... especially Market Day
Beth
Jan 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: travel, non-fiction
Some excellent descriptions of ceremonial dances, but he was very condescending to “the Indian”.
Carole Tyrrell
Jan 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
I bought this book shortly after visiting 2 Etruscan burial places on a trip to Italy. D H Lawrence’s piece, ‘Etruscan Places’ were mentioned in our tour notes and so I was very pleased to find a copy. He had also visited the two that I had; Cerveteri and Tarquinia. So this book is concerned with Lawrence’s thoughts on the clues left behind by vanished civilsations according to the book’s blurb and not a mere travel book.
Also in the book is Lawrence’s essay on Mexico. According to the book’s
James
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I finished this this morning. It was enjoyable enough, with some very nice passages, but still a strong dose of Lawrence’s silly theories. Lawrence has a habit, which I find extremely annoying, of using a few sentences or turns of phrase and then repeating them again and again in his pieces. As I tend to hate repetition of just about anything his practice gets on my nerves. His smug arrogance and self-righteousness also shines through everywhere. I am all the more convinced that Lawrence was one ...more
Fiona
Mar 30, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the peaceful storyline, made especially peaceful by reading it during a weekend of lounging but as much as I do take an interest in anthropology this short book becomes dominated by anthropological descriptions of corn dances and snake dances and loses any connection from the original storyline and characters to the over detailed events.
Joshua West
In beautiful prose Lawrence observes the Natives of Mexico and the Southwestern United States and attributes to them a fascinating cosmology that is more Lawrence than Hopi. A very interesting work not necessarily for its Anthropological value but for the insight it offers into a great writer's mind. Well worth the read despite Lawrence's, at times, patronizing attitude toward his subject matter.
Maddy
Some of the essays sparked my interest more than others (I enjoyed Corasmin and the Parrots and The Mozo the most), but none struck me as particularly insightful or engaging - and, to me, any writing should be at least one of these.
Kenny
Feb 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Not really about Mexico, the first 2-3 essays are good, the last are not.
Lizz
Dec 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Well done collection of short stories of his musings while in Mexico and the Southwest. I enjoyed his commentary of the tourists flocking to NM for the Hopi Snake Dance.
Derek
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Just reread for an upcoming workshop I'm giving called "Modernist Indian, Postmodern Navajo." Lawrence, equal parts brilliant and ridiculous.
Peter Edelman
Aug 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great insight into what's wrong with us.
Kelli
The Story: From the renowned English author of Lady Chatterley's Lover comes a collection of essays... that have little or nothing to do with Mexico. While the first piece reflects on a sunny walk to the village of Huayapa, the remaining few essays discourse on the "Indians" of the region - their dancing, their religion, their entertainment.

The Destinations: Huayapa, Mexico; the Hopi mesas of New Mexico; a table somewhere along the Mediterranean coast of Italy? Contrary to the supposed location
Diana
Jan 19, 2016
Vivek
Dec 19, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Page count incorrect on Goodreads 3 14 Jul 23, 2016 06:39AM

• A Most Wanted Man
  • Tarzan of the Apes (Tarzan, #1)
  • Smiley's People
  • Tod in Sils Maria
  • Gourrama
  • South: The Story of Shackleton's Last Expedition 1914-1917
  • Am Hang
David Herbert Richards Lawrence was an English writer of the 20th century, whose prolific and diverse output included novels, short stories, poems, plays, essays, travel books, paintings, translations, literary criticism and personal letters. His collected works represent an extended reflection upon the dehumanizing effects of modernity and industrialisation. In them, Lawrence confronts issues ...more