Start by marking “Looking for Chet Baker” as Want to Read:
Looking for Chet Baker

Looking for Chet Baker (Evan Horne #5)

Still recovering from the aftereffects of violent earlier cases, pianist Evan Horne decides to get away and takes some gigs in Amsterdam, where the old jazz clubs are alive and well. There he unexpectedly finds himself reliving the last days of legendary blues trumpeter Chet Baker, who died under mysterious circumstances. Did Baker fall from a hotel balcony or was he pushe ...more
Published March 1st 2003 by Harlequin Books (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Looking for Chet Baker, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Looking for Chet Baker

Martyn Halm
As a Jazz enthusiast, I can appreciate books revolving around Jazz musicians. And since Evan Horne is in my hometown Amsterdam when he's looking for Chet Baker, that makes it all the more interesting.

I enjoyed Evan's first person narration, and I know Mr. Moody is a musician himself by the way he can write interestingly about performances and the life of musicians.

Evan is visited by his friend Ace in London, just before Evan is to depart for Amsterdam. Ace is a writer and needs Evan to help him
Elouise Ryder
Sep 07, 2013 Elouise Ryder rated it really liked it
I’m a musician, I love a mystery, and I’m a pushover for anyone who is passionate about their art. Bill Moody gave us a minor mystery and a major passion in Looking for Chet Baker. He portrayed Evan Horne beautifully, showing his curiosity that seduced him into his adventures outside music as well as showing his passion for his music. I couldn’t get enough of it. He even inspired me to listen to a few of Chet Baker’s performances. I will read more of his books. I give it 4 stars.
Marley
Dec 19, 2013 Marley rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Bill Moody knows his jazz and he know Amsterdam. (Last time I was there I stayed tehre my hotel was within about 20 feet of the red light district, and I now the area.) This is my first Evan Horne book and it appears that some of the others are pretty violent (fine with me), but this one is laid back and sort of a mediation on crime and its psychological cost to those who fight it. It's' also one of the most literate crime books I've read in a long time. I'm checking ou ...more
Tom
Feb 02, 2015 Tom rated it it was ok
I tend to read mostly non-fiction although I enjoy well written novels and crime and detective stories and I've been a jazz fan especially West Coast post-bop since the early 1950s. This writer and this book seemed like a good fit. However I won't be looking for other books by this author. There was little character development and no tension.
Heather Jones
Aug 27, 2014 Heather Jones rated it it was ok
It was ok, but it just did not capture my attention very well. Took me quite awhile to finish it. There seemed to be to much on thought processes, which seemed to be repetitious, and a lot of information that was not really needed to move the story along. It dragged for me way to many times.
Tom
Dec 01, 2009 Tom rated it really liked it
The extensive jazz content is extremely well-done. Highly recommended to jazz fans. Purely as a mystery, it's not quite at the highest level, so readers who aren't jazz aficionados may not be so impressed.
Patricia
Dec 17, 2016 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jazz and all

Was not sure what to expect and not disappointed. Learned about great musician's and found myself wanting to feel jazz again. Been more of a blues lover and forgot about how jazz also influenced the world.
Brendan
Jun 14, 2010 Brendan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, music
An easy, fun read. It moves at a good pace. The m.c. is a guy we can root for. I enjoyed following along as he solved the mystery. Moody's a good writer, though perhaps lacking polish. He obviously has quite the knowledge of and passion for jazz.
Paul Secor
Like the rest of Bill Moody's Ethan Horne novels, the ending is somewhat perfunctory. However, the ride to get there is enjoyable and entertaining.
Velvetink
Oct 26, 2013 Velvetink marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
kindle cloud
Marko
Dec 15, 2009 Marko rated it it was ok
amsterdam...
Ken Irwin
Jul 04, 2009 Ken Irwin rated it really liked it
A good yarn. A bit of history, a bit of travelogue, a bit of life as a jazz musician in Europe. Some interesting bits about the trumpet king of melancholy, Chet Baker.
Joe Pfeiffer
Mar 18, 2013 Joe Pfeiffer rated it liked it
I like the jazz influence of it. I had read this book from 10 years ago. The plot could have been better.

Joe P.
Chad Michael
Chad Michael rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2014
John Griffin
John Griffin rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2011
John A Broughton
John A Broughton rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2017
Paulo Vanzella
Paulo Vanzella rated it really liked it
Feb 27, 2014
Celine
Celine rated it it was amazing
Jul 05, 2009
Wendy
Wendy rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2013
J.L. Flores
J.L. Flores rated it liked it
Nov 23, 2015
Kit
Kit rated it really liked it
Dec 19, 2014
Jackie
Jackie rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2014
D.J
D.J rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2013
Robert Tujlly
Robert Tujlly rated it really liked it
Dec 16, 2015
E. Dade
E. Dade rated it liked it
Nov 28, 2014
Cindy Harkness
Cindy Harkness rated it liked it
Nov 30, 2014
deborah m bowe
deborah m bowe rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2016
John Marr
John Marr rated it it was ok
Apr 06, 2009
Amelia
Amelia rated it did not like it
Aug 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Sister Caravaggio: A Novel
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2015
  • Picture Miss Seeton (Miss Seeton, #1)
  • Dead Before Morning (Rafferty and Llewellyn Police Procedural Series, #1)
  • Strangeways to Oldham (Belchester Chronicles #1)
  • An Easy Thing (Héctor Belascoarán Shayne, #2)
  • The Provincial Lady Complete Collection (Five Books)
  • Past Imperfect: A John McIntire Mystery
  • The Circular Study (Mr. Gryce #10)
  • Death at the Manor (The Asharton Manor Mysteries, #1)
  • Miss Cayley's Adventures
  • Harlem Summer
  • Quoth the Raven (Gregor Demarkian, #4)
  • Silence and Circumstance
  • Leavin' Trunk Blues
  • Buried for Pleasure (Gervase Fen, #6)
  • A Glancing Light (The Chris Norgren Mysteries, #2)
  • The Mystery at Underwood House (Angela Marchmont Mystery #2)
Bill Moody is a mystery author and professional jazz drummer. He is the author of Shades of Blue, Looking for Chet Baker, Bird Lives! and three other Evan Horne novels.

Series:
* Evan Horne
More about Bill Moody...

Evan Horne (7 books)
  • Solo Hand
  • Death of a Tenor Man
  • Sound of the Trumpet (Evan Horne Mysteries)
  • Bird Lives!