Start by marking “How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad” as Want to Read:
How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad

How to Make Money in Stocks: A Winning System in Good Times or Bad

The third edition of a practical rule book for becoming an investment professional. It offers guidance for those who want to make smart investments - even if they've never owned stocks before. This updated edition includes new concepts, improved chart graphics and new research tools. Key issues include: making money reading the daily financial pages; picking the best indus ...more
Paperback, Third Edition, 272 pages
Published May 23rd 2002 by McGraw-Hill Companies (first published 1988)

Jim
Jun 09, 2008 rated it did not like it
Horrible book filled with useless garbage and nonsense. Basically, a get rich quick by using my subscribing to my website scam. Author's technical investing strategies are presented in a very non-rigorous and non-compelling manner. He uses examples but any idiot can cherry pick a few examples to prove a point. That does not make a convincing argument.

I could belabor my point with more examples but instead I recommend 2 much more insightful and informative books on investing: The Warren Buffet W
Matt
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
William O'Neil's book made me want to give up fantasy sports and take up investing. It seems like the time I spend reviewing an athlete's past performance and projecting future ones could be better spent on researching stocks, something that could actually make me money and possibly provide a similar stimulation.

How to Make Money in Stocks teaches readers how to identify good companies that are about to become great and then how to determine if and when to buy their stock. The mnemonic CAN SLIM
Curtis
Oct 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Curtis by: Dave Maddock
I've read a few investment books, and this is the most comprehensive system I've found for determining when EXACTLY to enter and exit positions. The consistent, unemotional method that O'Neil provides has helped me immensely in thinking about and executing my investing strategies.
erjan avid reader
i swept through this book and got a detailed overview of it.

It is for long term investing - 6-18 months. The learning rate using canslim is very low, because you have to spend weeks, months before your forecast proves wrong or right!

Right now, this is not what i want, so i close this book, after reading most important parts: common mistakes and cup and handle pattern.

About 40% of this book is full of charts, and you will spend considerable amount of time reading them.

overall, the book advertise
Wayne
Aug 31, 2007 rated it it was ok
Overall I think that the author has some good information that he is strying to get across, but unfortunately I felt that his writing and education style was poor. For a subject that I generally find very interesting, it was a dry book that I was definitely ready to put down once I reached the end. This is more of a reflection of his presentation of the information rather than is message.
Huy
Mar 01, 2018 rated it did not like it
Instead of reading this book, you can find a broker. He/she can tell you the same thing. More informative & trendy, less about subcribing to the xyz products.
Marco den Ouden
Sep 07, 2015 rated it it was amazing
See my review here: How to Make Money in Stocks
Raphael Bernardo
May 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I mostly read biographies and other non fiction. Even so this was a hard read for me because it was packed with theories and data or history to back it up. Maybe a few personal stories here and there(I read those faster). I had this book in my house for a while but didn't realize it was a classic until I read Michael Lewis's The Big Short, and found one of the people who saw the crash coming(and made 100+million off of it) had been using this method as a guide along with other sets of strategies ...more
Trần Lệ Mẫn
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is to provide you about stock market and how to make money from it. Although I started reading when I didn't have much knowledge and experience about even stock trading but also general investment but I have collected something useful in selecting a good company and how to trade in Stock Market. You can't be rich that you just work with 8 hour job at office, find the way how to let money work for you.

Something you might got after completing this book:
- How to choose a good stock base
Ash Turki
Jan 29, 2016 rated it it was ok
this book is more about speculating but not investing all the methods explained are good in theory not in practice for instance talkin about eps .. theres so many different kinds of eps comming from selling thier assets or things like that would be misjudged by new or unexperienced investors, moreover, talking about techinical analysis, why would the writer attack everybody who dont believe in technical analysis, this is a very weak way to convince the readers by technical analysis besides techn ...more
JP
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The foundation of this classic by William O'Neil is his CANSLIM framework. He adds a richness of other ideas, including learning when to buy, when to sell, and how to develop your own style. The book is also filled with charts throughout, such that you sometimes need set it aside and return later with fresh eyes. The 4th edition includes data back into the 19th century all the way through the 2008 financial crisis. I'm glad I took the recommendation for this book made to me by a master technicia ...more
Michael
Nov 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: trading
I traded the O'Neil CANSLIM method covered in this book for about 8% a month 10 years ago. Having daytraded for 2.5 years in recent years, I probably wouldn't be comfortable trading this method during the current economic situation.

The CANSLIM is great for finding quality stocks. One could apply it to a shorter time frame than suggested in the book and still be trading a strong stock, which of course gives you greater chances for a successful trade. Sounds simple doesn't it. Ha!
Ian Cassel
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed the author's strategy. As a microcap investor in very illiquid securities I'm not that big of a proponent of technical analysis. I enjoyed his thoughts on selling, specifically keeping your losses small.
Katie O'Bryan
Aug 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A momentum investor, watch the charts, look for signs of heavy & tightly traded institutional interest for 4 to 5 weeks, cup & handle patterns, cut losses at 8%, & only work with the absolute best in terms of fundamentals.
Frederic Kerr
Mar 14, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is a good primer on charts as an investment tool, but charts should never be the prime method by which people choose investments. O'Neil is the founder of the Investor's Business Daily newspaper, which focuses mostly on charts.
Ardi Nursyamsu
Aug 31, 2014 rated it really liked it
It's a good companion after you finished some of Market Wizard series.
aldo
seems still relevan to use in stock market including jakarta composite.CAN SLIM is powerful strategy for picking the best stock
Miranda Prather
Oct 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome resource! I learned so much from reading this book. Still at the starting point, but ready to make better decisions. Thank you!
Nishu
Oct 14, 2015 rated it did not like it
M unable to open and read.. What hell is this
Mido Gamal
Jun 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: عربى
ﻛﺘﺎﺏ ﺍﻛﺜﺮ من
InvestingByTheBooks.com
Aug 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
William O Neil was born in 1933 and in 1963 he founded the company that bears his name. His company developed the first computerized daily securities database and he is still very active promoting his services of which this book probably is his bestselling tool. Based upon his research studying the track record of past investor legends and what the best performing stocks have in common, he developed his investment strategy, called CAN SLIM. This focuses on buying stocks that are performing relat ...more
Mike Morgenstein
Apr 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
How to make money in stocks is comprehensive: it covers William O'Neil's famous CANSLIM formula in its entirety, buying and selling rules, common mistakes investors make, and charting analysis. It seems that the community of CANSLIM's adherents and its offspring Investors Business Daily (IBD) have a pretty staunch following. There have been results that have shown the superior performance of CANSLIM's methodology. Not too much is assumed and many things are explained in the text. Follow the prin ...more
Patrick
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was ok
I read this book about technical analysis, despite being a fundamentally oriented investor myself, to see if I could gain any knowledge about investing by considering the perspective of a technician. So, I have read this book knowing I probably won't agree with large parts of it, but still in good faith, judging the arguments on its merits. I will try to let my review reflect this by not critiquing things where two reasonable people could disagree.

I was a bit bothered by some of the reasoning ea
Christopher Wang
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
In my first unit of my high school economics class, we learned about investing. We learned about the various different methods of investing, such as bonds, mutual funds, real estate, and stocks. I took an interest in stock investments, and decided to read this book on my own free time to educate myself on this subject.

This book taught me countless things about stock investments that I did not know of before. I learned how about patterns to look out for in the price-chart of a stock prior to purc
Jim
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a fan of William O'Neil and what he tried to provide for the retail investor. This book describes O'Neil's strategy for finding growth stocks and then buying and selling them at the best possible price and time. Matt Galgani, who works for Investor's Business Daily, wrote a simpler version of this book for anyone who thinks that Mr. O'Neil's book is addressed to a more sophisticated investing public.

This book should be read more than once.
Oliver
Mar 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
This was a hard read for me as is most of the technical analysis books that I have read. The book has several nuggets that a beginner or seasoned stock speculators can pickup. Most of the book is constantly reminding you about how a company—that the author is related to—can help you get where you want to be. I’d recommend the book if you’re starting to or would like to start trading on long term holdings or income account.
Alan Bangura
Jul 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: trading
I can't call it a horrible investing book because he has some useful nuggets like investing in companies that provide value long term even though his teachings are more for growth stocks but his methods are extremely outdated. The primary thing that makes this a bad book in this generation are his methods don't age well at all.
Ron Livaudais
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A winning system for guaranteed success in the market!

William O’Neill has done the heavy lifting. He has researched
how the market really works based on history, has put a few
rules together to help navigate one to success in the market which then helps you achieve confidence in your investing decisions.
David
Mar 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
A reread of this book. The meat is in just a few chapters, the rest is just "talk". It is O'Neil's way of investing, a pure growth stock method that works, but can be risky if a sell strategy is not followed. As with all investments books I've read, most is fluff or difficult to put into action.......the hard part is separating the wheat from the chaff....
Hoppy Agarwal
Apr 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
The book will tell you about the common pitfalls. Some common ways to fix them. It's very good for amateur investor (retail or small investor). Ideally institutional investors must be knowing all this but it's a great reference for all. Last few chapters seemed like marketing and promotion for authors own magazine or newspaper. Yet it was very much an eye opener.
We can make money via ebook? 1 1 May 05, 2018 12:57PM

• Trader Vic--Methods of a Wall Street Master
  • Beyond Candlesticks: New Japanese Charting Techniques Revealed
  • Secrets For Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets
  • Trend Following: Learn to Make Millions in Up or Down Markets
  • What Works on Wall Street: A Guide to the Best-Performing Investment Strategies of All Time
  • How I Made $2,000,000 In The Stock Market
  • Hot Commodities: How Anyone Can Invest Profitably in the World's Best Market
  • Trade Your Way to Financial Freedom
  • Stock Market Wizards: Interviews with America's Top Stock Traders
  • High Probability Trading: Take the Steps to Become a Successful Trader
  • Trading for a Living: Psychology, Trading Tactics, Money Management
  • Way of the Turtle: The Secret Methods That Turned Ordinary People Into Legendary Traders
  • The Battle for Investment Survival
  • Trade Like a Stock Market Wizard: How to Achieve Super Performance in Stocks in Any Market
  • A Beginner's Guide to Day Trading Online
  • The Motley Fool Investment Guide: How The Fool Beats Wall Street's Wise Men And How You Can Too

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
William J. O'Neil is a stock trader, entrepreneur and writer, who founded the business newspaper Investor's Business Daily and the stock brokerage firm William O'Neil & Co. Inc. He is the creator of the CAN SLIM investment strategy.

He studied business at Southern Methodist University, received a Bachelor's degree and served in the United States Air Force.
“The moral of the story is: never argue with the market. Your health and peace of mind are always more important than any stock.” 2 likes
“completely objective and recognize what the marketplace is telling you, rather than trying to prove that what you said or did yesterday or six weeks ago was right. The fastest way to take a bath in the stock market is to try to prove that you are right and the market is wrong. Humility and common sense provide essential balance.” 1 likes