Start by marking “The Lost Angel” as Want to Read:
The Lost Angel

The Lost Angel

This collection contains seven of Goudge's loveliest stories, including: The Two Caves; The Silver Horse; Three Men; Lost - One Angel; Saint Nicholas; John; and Giovanni. All the stories contain her special blend of fairytale grace, warmth and spiritual feeling.
Published 1971 by Coward Mc Cann

To ask other readers questions about The Lost Angel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lost Angel

Start your review of The Lost Angel
Luann
Jan 07, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some stories were 3 stars, some were 4. A few of them were memorable Christmas read alouds for ages 12-adult.
Becky Baylous
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
These were lovely stories to read at Christmastime. My favorites were The Two Caves, The Silver Horse and John. Elizabeth Goudge has a way with words that speaks to my heart and it's emotions so beautifully.
Fiona
Dec 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My favourite story in this collection was The Silver Horse - so enchanting, warm and beautiful, like being in a fairytale - and this was closely followed by Lost -One Angel. I would award both of these stories 5 stars, and whilst I would only give 3 to a few of the others the book as a whole is well worth the read. It has in miniature all the aspects that readers of Elizabeth Goudge have come to know and love. She portrays her characters in such a convincing manner, particularly children, that ...more
Sue
Jun 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
A collection of seven short stories which, according to the book jacket, have a Christmas theme to them. Two of them I didn't find the theme at all and one is specifically Easter, not Christmas. As for the stories: Two Caves - a cave involved in both Christ's birth and death; Silver Horse - 4 orphan siblings leave home in country for city to stay with Aunt & Uncle but the horse leads them in another direction; Three Men - Father Ambrose continues a tradition of Christmas Mass; Lost-One ...more
Lora
May 10, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kind of meant for younger readers. Maybe? I could've read these out to the kids and they would've enjoyed having a discussion about each. At least, I think so. Maybe they'd just be worried about some of the characters. There is suffering.
Tabitha
Jan 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas
As with all her short stories, some were better than others... but the good ones were really, really good.
Lady_bercilak
Dec 23, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short stories by Elizabeth Goudge, many with Christmas as the theme. Although the stories do not of course have the range and depth of her novels, they have great charm in their own right.
Sally Andrews
Dec 25, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What lovely short stories! Each has a moral or a twist, and each is heartwarming and a perfect holiday read.
Lori
Dec 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is lovely to read a collection of stories that focus on Christ and not just "Christmas." Elizabeth Goudge gets at the heart of why we celebrate. Her characters are usually ordinary individuals who understand, or come to understand the place the Savior has is their life. They influence each other in positive ways, seeing the ways of the Master in each other, recognizing His presence. The title story, "The Lost Angel" is charming. A young boy/angel in the Christmas pageant gets tired of ...more
Jenny
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very sweet collection of Christmas stories (and a few non-Christmas ones). In several she retells Biblical stories in absolutely dazzling language; others are completely original, but all deal with human relationships - siblings, parents, friends, lovers. I particularly fell in love with the title story, about a little blonde boy who decided he was done with the rehearsal for the Christmas play and walked away into the city, creating a beautiful sort of havoc with the hearts of the people who ...more
Sylvester
Dec 12, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014, christmas
It's not really fair for me to review this, seeing that I am not a short story fan to begin with. I will say that when E.G.'s on, she's on fire - and when she's not, its sequins on wet socks. Just my opinion. I liked "The Silver Horse", and I certainly like the themes she chooses, but she has written so much better. I say this with all respect - as the author of one of my favorite books, "The Dean's Watch". I would have given 2* to anyone else.
Marilyn Rayburn
Dec 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seven wonderful Christmas stories that I will read annually now that I've found The Lost Angel. All her stories are so good and the art throughout an added treat. Saint Nicolas touched and stayed with me for days and even now. I want to keep The Lost Angel on my night stand and not give it up to the library.
Tiffany
Feb 09, 2011
Valerie Enlow
Sep 09, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Daughter of Time (Inspector Alan Grant, #5)
  • A River Runs Through It
  • Tales from Shakespeare
  • The Go-Giver: A Little Story About a Powerful Business Idea
  • Daring to Hope: Finding God's Goodness in the Broken and the Beautiful
  • I Dare You: Embrace Life with Passion
  • Rachel's Tears: The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott
  • Stories for Kids Who Dare to Be Different: True Tales of Amazing People Who Stood Up and Stood Out
  • A Lowcountry Christmas (Lowcountry Summer #5)
  • The Man Who Was Thursday: A Nightmare
  • It's Good to Be Queen: Becoming as Bold, Gracious, and Wise as the Queen of Sheba
  • I'd Rather Be Reading: The Delights and Dilemmas of the Reading Life
  • Strong Poison (Lord Peter Wimsey, #6)
  • Grace in Deep Waters (Grace, #3)
  • My One Word: Change Your Life With Just One Word
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories, #3)
  • The Fourth Cup: Unveiling the Mystery of the Last Supper and the Cross
  • Murder at the National Cathedral (Capital Crimes, #10)
Elizabeth Goudge was an English author of novels, short stories and children's books.

Elizabeth de Beauchamp Goudge was born on 24 April 1900 in Wells, Somerset, in Tower House close by the cathedral in an area known as The Liberty, Her father, the Reverend Henry Leighton Goudge, taught in the cathedral school. Her mother was Miss Ida Collenette from the Channel Isles. Elizabeth was an only child.