Start by marking “The Bad Child's Book of Beasts (Illustrated Edition)” as Want to Read:
The Bad Child's Book of Beasts (Illustrated Edition)

The Bad Child's Book of Beasts (Illustrated Edition)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  169 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews

Joseph Hilaire Pierre Rene Belloc (1870-1953) was one of the most prolific writers in England during the early twentieth century. His best travel writing has secured a permanent following. The Path to Rome (1902), an account of a walking pilgrimage he made from central France across the Alps and down to Rome, has remained continuously in print. More than a mere travelogue,

Published April 1st 2008 by Dodo Press (first published 1896)

To ask other readers questions about The Bad Child's Book of Beasts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bad Child's Book of Beasts

Binibining `E (of The Ugly Writers)
Frog is a beast? oh yes! Lions and Tigers too. lol.
Jim
Aug 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a book that can be read in less than twenty uproarious minutes. Here's a brief example, entitled "The Big Baboon":

The Big Baboon is found upon
The plains of Cariboo.

He goes about
with nothing on

(A shocking thing to do).
But if he
dressed respectably

And let his whiskers grow,
How like this Big Baboon would be

To Mister So-and-So.

verbava
Dec 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
у цьогорічному різдвяному епізоді «доктора хто» дванадцятий доктор (мій улюблений. я за ним сумуватиму) на коментарі першого доктора час від часу робить великі очі та просить не говорити _отакого_, бо це шовіністичне _отаке_ обурюватиме приблизно майже всіх, із ким він, будь-який за номером доктор, спілкуватиметься надалі. а тільки ж п'ятдесят років минуло.
від беллокової книжки минуло вдвічі більше, і вона досі місцями дуже весела, але йому теж регулярно хочеться сказати: альо, мужик, ну що ти н
Stephanie
Reminded me of Roald Dahl, as some other reviewers have said. Really goofy little verses for children. And watch out for all the shooting of endangered animals! Not very PC for today's standards, lol!
Nevada Libert
Jun 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poety
belloc is a great poet.
Abdullah Khasawneh
I actually learned a thing or two from this book.
Frederick
Sep 27, 2007 added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Edward Lear
I was given the Dover paperback of this when I was about nine. I didn't really have an emotion about the book but I did love the line drawings. Dover, at that time, printed mostly facsimiles of first editions. I would place the original printing anywhere between 1899 and 1930. Certainly Belloc lived long enough to enrage a lot of literary snobs when he declared P. G. Wodehouse to be the greatest living writer in the English language, but Wodehouse wrote (and lived) for so long that I can imagine ...more
Charles
'The Bad Child's Book of Beasts' is a charming little book of short poems about animals, with illustrations by Lord Blackwood (BTB).

It is Belloc's style which makes this book unique. It does remind one of Roald Dahl in fact, although 'The Bad Child's Book of Beasts' was written way back in 1896, exactly twenty years before Dahl was born. It is difficult to recommend it to parents nowadays, as its potential of edification (which I believe to be essential in children's literature) for children is
Jeremiah Bookworm
Originally published in 1896, this zany children's book sold out its first edition within four days. The author, Hilaire Belloc, has fallen into obscurity, but in his day he was a well-known historian, biographer and novelist, as well as a friend of G.K. Chesterton. Belloc's verses are fun and imaginative; however, modern readers may object to a couple of unfortunate prejudicial statements ("the moral of this priceless work...will make you--from a little Turk--unnaturally good" (p.3), "The drome ...more
Jenny
May 27, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jenny by: Grandpa
Gift from Grandpa to Ruairi in that great dry British style, including "More Beasts for Worse Children" and "A Moral Alphabet."

Such as the entry on D for Dinosaur telling the tale of the happy-go-lucky dino, whose downfall was that he liked to sleep in trees, with the resultant tumble the reason that "His fossil, therefore, comes to light / All broken up: and serve him right. Moral: If you were born to walk the ground, / Remain there; do not fool around." (p 110)

Or "E stands for Egg. Moral: The
Torzilla
This book contains a series of poems that are well written that describe the animals in our world. Children will find these tales not only catchy, but fun to listen to and repeat due to all the rhyming.

I found the tales to be entertaining and catchy – most made me grin. The illustrations accompanying this text are even more beautiful than the ones found in East O’ the Sun and West O’ the Moon. Not only are they realistic, but the attention to detail is astounding.
Stephen Brooke
Dec 10, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, poetry
Before Dr. Seuss ever dreamed of cats in hats, Hillaire Belloc created his menagerie in verse. There is certainly a similarity between the two authors—their unexpected rhymes, their mildly iconoclastic attitude—though Belloc’s work is, perhaps, more openly artful. There is certainly no attempt to hide the sophistication of the writer.

Alas, the art that originally accompanied the poems had no similar Seussian verve. Still, this very short book is a delight to read.
Jane
Sep 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This never fails to make me smile. Before Ogden Nash, there was the divine Mr. Belloc.
The Dodo used to walk about, and take the sun and air,
The sun still warms his native land yet the dodo is not there.
The voice that used to squawk and squeak is now forever dumb,
But you may see his bones and beak all in the Mus-e-um.
Nicola Gruen
We were reading this book tonight at bedtime when my 8 year old daughter exclaimed, "This is the same as the song I'm singing with the San Francisco Girls Chorus!" She ran straight away to her chorus folder and brought back "Anamalia - Candy Lion, Frog, Turtle Tango" by Earl J. Reisdorff. The frog is identical to the last chapter in this book, originally written in 1896! Quite reinforcing!
Sri
Lucu tapi kadang kejam :(. Apa buku seperti ini bisa dikonsumsi anak-anak dengan aman ya? Adakah anak-anak yang baik hati tapi berselera humor gelap seperti ini? Buku anak-anak oleh Roald Dahl juga kadang kejam-kejam.
Bridget Gould
Jan 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a gift from my grandmother on my 6th birthday. Every year she took me to the bookstore and let me pick out my present. I'm not sure if this book is responsible for my love of monsters, or if that's why I chose it in the first place, but it holds a very special place in my heart.
Alex Stroshine
Belloc's little book of beasts. Not as good as his "Cautionary Tales" but there are some humourous bits. Some of the entries are too short for my liking.
Steve
Apr 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children and fun-loving adults
Recommended to Steve by: my sister
Really funny poetry for children with a proto-Dahl flavor.
Suzannah
Jan 05, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an utterly adorable book!
Cathy aka The Attached Mama
Very funny yet slightly political incorrect verses to enjoy.
JH
Sep 16, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Fun, simple poems for children to *learn* about various animals. It reads a bit like a precursor to Seuss's "If I Owned A Zoo," except with real animals.
Christina!
Cute illustrations and wonderfully dry and rhyming text. Not very PC anymore though...the author talks a lot about hunting some of the "beasts."
yun
rated it did not like it
Feb 28, 2016
  • Lepanto: With Explanatory Notes and Commentary
  • The Ship's Cat
  • Cat Traps
  • Wit and Wisdom of Abraham Lincoln
  • The limerick; 1700 examples, with notes, variants, and index. Edited by G. Legman
  • mammalabilia
  • Milton: A Poem (The Illuminated Books of William Blake, Vol 5)
  • Dithyrambs of Dionysus
  • The Portable Romantic Poets: Blake to Poe
  • The Complete Stalky and Co.
  • Meow Ruff: A Story in Concrete Poetry
  • 1601: Conversation as it Was by the Social Fireside in the Time of the Tudors
  • The Ebb-Tide: A Trio and Quartette
  • Nurse Nancy
  • Selected Poems and Letters
  • WALL-E
  • Scranimals
Joseph Hilaire Pierre René Belloc was an Anglo-French writer and historian who became a naturalised British subject in 1902. He was one of the most prolific writers in England during the early twentieth century. He was known as a writer, orator, poet, satirist, man of letters, and political activist. He is most notable for his Catholic faith, which had a strong impact on most of his works and his ...more
More about Hilaire Belloc

• Every Day Is Mother's Day
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Breakdown: A Love Story
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Blaze of Glory (Civil War: 1861-1865, Western Theater, #1)
  • The House Girl
    $8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue
  • The Man Who Could Be King
  • Challenger Deep
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • The Great Man
  • The Vagrants
    $11.99 $1.99
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone