Start by marking “Hogwash!” as Want to Read:

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  504 Ratings  ·  92 Reviews
He washed the horses, ducks and cows
The goats, the cats and dogs.
Everything went dandy...
Until the farmer reached his hogs.

"No hogwash for us today. Pigs love dirt - so go away!"

Farmer's stubborn pigs refuse to be hogwashed, and no matter what he tries, poor Farmer cannot trick them into getting clean! But when several failed attempts leave him stuck in the mud, our determ
Published June 7th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Hogwash!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hogwash!

Oct 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-with-neo
When the farmer got a wonderful idea about washing all the animals, he was not expecting such protest from the pigs. No matter what he tried, those hogs refused to be washed. Try as he might, there was no way to trick the curly-tailed porkers. Even his most conniving plan went awry and he ended up inside the pen, covered in mud. It was then that he had an epiphany and ended up seeing just how much fun life with in the mud. Neo got a good laugh out of the story and could not believe that those pi ...more
Jun 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Big favorite in our family, as I read at the dinner table with my husband and three children eating dinner. Probably considered a level 2 reading book, the rhyming was both original and a blast to read. The pigs turned out to be smarter than the farmer and the whole story concept was surprisingly unique. The kids loved that the pigs refused to take a bath and I loved how all the way til the end the cat still refrained from the general opinion of the crowd. A great book and one we'll be reading a ...more
Nov 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Sophie
Shelves: picture-books
Another fun rhyming book by one of my favorite children's book authors.

"One warm day in early May,
Farmer had a plan
To spring-clean all his animals
Till each was spic 'n' span."

And he has no trouble washing his horses, ducks, cows, goats, cats and dog. But the hogs? When he goes to the pigpen, he sees that the pigs have made a sign:

"No hogwash
For us today
Pigs love dirt-
So go away!"

And the battle is on. Will Farmer be able to complete his spring cleaning? Or are there other surprises ahead? Fun ill
Jan 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Somehow, reading it aloud managed to evoke a fairly terrible "country western farmer" accent that I didn't know I had.
Sep 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s
Very fun read - aloud; cute pictures.
Dec 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
One of my favs by this author... funny book that my children and I liked a lot.
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
fun Rhyme and Rhythm. It was easy an entertaining to read out loud.
Jenn Swanson
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor
A farmer tries to clean all his animals but his pigs are NOT having it. This book kept myself and my daughter entertained with the antics of this farmer and his dirty pigs. The illustrations were great as well. Would recommend.
Aug 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: farmers
One spring day Farmer decides his animals all need a good cleaning. He gets everyone except the pigs. The pigs want nothing to do with being clean. They foil all attempts made by Farmer to get them clean. Farmer tries spraying water into the pig pen but that just makes more mud. Then he tries delivering a pizza but the pigs see right through that. Finally Farmer loads up his crop plane with suds but finds he didn't put any gas in the plane.

When he crash lands in the pig sty he learns that mud ca
Feb 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
This book is a book of fun enjoyment. It is a hysterical story about a farmer attempting to wash his pigs. It resonated with me when the farmer woke up one morning and decided to wash all of the animals. I was most drawn into the story when the farmer came up with his plan to fly his plane full of shampoo over the top of the pigs. My transaction was most powerful with the text near the end of the story as the farmer decided to join the pigs in the mud. I will carry with me from the story the mor ...more
Sep 16, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: farm
thought this was really cute. farmer sets out to wash his animals, doesn't have any luck with his pigs. cute story. felt like the rhyming was weird. you would get into the rhythm of it and then one line would be off. I didn't like the two parts with "hammed it up"- yes the phrase fits pigs,but it almost seemed thrown in. would read again and enjoy it, but wouldn't buy unless my kid, for some reason said it was their favorite (I don't think that will happen though). my favorite part was "sudsy am ...more
Jun 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
A cute story about a farmer that tries to spring clean all of the animals on his farm but meets his match when he tries to give the pigs a bath. The artwork is incredible! The colors are beautiful and each page is detailed without being too cluttered. The story brings to mind Click, Clack, Moo in that the pigs write the farmer messages and also brings to mind Green Eggs and Ham in that the farmer is at odds with the pigs throughout much of the book only to come around to the pigs' way of thinkin ...more
Aug 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, 2011, picture
A fun little rhyming story about a farmer who wants to wash his pigs. A rhyming story that would make a good, quick read aloud.

I just reread this book and, less than a month later, I had no recollection that I had already read it. A good thing I use Goodreads, no? On this second rereading, I was struck by how much this story reminded me of Click Clack Moo, which is one of my favorites! This is unfortunately a much less effective book.
Rosa Cline
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids, favorites
This was such a wonderfully written book by Ms Wilson (most of her books are really good!) This one a farmer wants to clean up his farm and baths all his animals, BUT when it comes to his hogs they won't have it. So he tries to figure out ways of bathing them but they come up with other ideas! Written in rhyme and almost you would 'sing' it as you read it out loud. My 3 year old granddaughter and I grinned and chuckled at this amazing story. Illustrations were great too!
Cara Farmer
This story is cute but not my favorite. I felt like it was longer than it really needed to be and I lost interest half way through. This would be a good book to read if you were teaching about farms and animals on a farm because the illustrations do a great job showing farm life in a fun animated way. The children would find the pigs very funny.
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jun 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
It's springtime and Farmer is in the mood for cleaning up his farm. He cleans the ducks, horses, and goats but the hogs are way too stubborn. Farmer tries everything but has no luck. Will the Farmer get the hogs to wash or is the old saying, "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" true?

Written in verse. Illustrations are sure to cause some giggles.
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Marcie by: Woodbury new books
OK! It seems I always love Karma Wilson. After a quick read, I had to read this aloud to my husband and we both got a number of laughs. Even better than last year's The Cow Loves Cookies that did get nominated for CCBA. Jim McMullan's illustrations are perfect. How nice this would be to pair with Click Clack Moo.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
It’s time for Farmer to wash the animals. All the animals are amenable to this, except the hogs. The hogs are openly rebellious.

Full of clever word play and lots of mud.

“Farmer stomped his feet and yelled,
‘You oinkers got me riled!’
They still refused to take a bath.
Those pigs had gone hog wild!”

Sep 10, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Generally, I love Karma Wilson's books; however, I thought Hogwash was not as well done as Bear Snores On and that whole series of Bear books. It's bath day and Farmer's goal is to get all the animals clean, but the hogs want no part of it...their antics end up switching the game plan on the poor farmer, who eventually discovers how fun a hogwash can be.
Christina Camp
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farm-animals
This is a really cute book. It is about a farmer who tries to trick the pigs on the farm into taking a bath. Finally, he gives up and uses a helicopter. When the helicoptor crashes and the farmer ends up in the mud with the pigs, he realizes how fun it is to be dirty. This is a funny story and could be used in a lesson that involves farm animals.
Aug 18, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: storytime-book
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: farm, animals, funny, silly
This book is about a farmer whose pigs get dirty after being washed, and he is on a mission to get them washed again. By the end of the story he ends up in the mud with them and realizes just how much fun it is. This book has a very catchy rhyme and great illustrations, making it so funny and engaging. Kids always enjoy it!
Nov 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Darling, adorable, too cute. Fun. Read about the farmer who wants to clean up his farm and starts with various animals and ending with the pigs......who don't want to be washed! All kinds of battles ensue and so does the fun of reading this story! Nice illustrations, fun storyline. I love Karma Wilson.
Carol Royce Owen
Sep 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
This will be fun to read to young children. It reminds me a bit of Mrs. Wishy Washy, and I'm pretty sure that Kindergarten and first grade students will make that connection. Farmer has decided that all of the animals need to be washed. All goes fine until he encounters the pigs who have no intentions of being washed, no matter what the farmer tries.
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: farm
This elicited a genuine chuckle from me, even though I'm exhausted from spending 3 days signing up 800 kids for summer reading. Illustrations are good and the rhyming text is great. A worthy addition to the farm books.
Jun 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
a fun story, and the rhyming story line is well done. each page brings a smile to your face, as you wonder what the farmer will do next to get his pigs to bathe, and they rebuff his efforts in imaginative poetry.
enjoy! especially for children reluctant to take a bath.
Feb 03, 2012 rated it liked it
I love Karma Wilson's "bear" books, but this one just felt a touch more forced to me. Hilarious and the kids loved it, but I didn't think it was as strong. A fun read aloud, but not a book to really savor.
Jul 05, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture
Like the idea of the story but oddly enough (even though I usually like his stuff) was not as big of a fan of the illustrations. This is a rhyming book.

This says it was published in 2004. How is it I've never seen it before? And it was displayed face out at the bookstore?
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
One of the cutest children's books I've read in a long time. Maybe I am biased to it b/c my daughter is obsessed with pigs, and everytime I see a book w/ pigs at the library I grab it. Really Fun story!!
May 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
This is a fantastic read about some super bright pigs that constantly outsmart the farmer because they don't want to take a bath. The rhyming was fun and the kids absolutely loved the ending. It's hard to find a book all four of my kids can enjoy together.
  • Dog in Boots
  • Wiener Wolf
  • Lazy Daisy, Cranky Frankie: Bedtime on the Farm
  • 999 Tadpoles
  • Those Darn Squirrels and the Cat Next Door
Karma Wilson grew up an only child of a single mother in the wilds of North Idaho. Way back then (just past the stone age and somewhat before the era of computers) there was no cable TV and if there had been Karma could not have recieved it. TV reception was limited to 3 channels, of which one came in with some clarity. Karma did the only sensible thing a lonely little girl could do…she read or pl ...more
More about Karma Wilson...