Start by marking “The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning On the Tuned-Out Child” as Want to Read:
The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning On the Tuned-Out Child

The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning On the Tuned-Out Child

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  207 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
The Motivation Breakthrough explores proven techniques and strategies—based on six possible motivational styles—that will revolutionize the way teachers and parents inspire kids with learning disabilities to succeed and achieve.

Backed by decades of experience in the classroom, educator and acclaimed author Rick Lavoie explodes common myths and gives specific advice for mot
Published October 2nd 2007 by Touchstone (first published September 25th 2007)

To ask other readers questions about The Motivation Breakthrough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Motivation Breakthrough

Danette
Richard Lavoie is very knowledgeable about teaching kids who have a learning disability. If you are a teacher and haven't seen his F.A.T City Workshop DVD, then you should. It will give you some new insight into what children with ADD, ADHD, and other learning disabilities go through in classrooms all over the country on a daily basis.

This particular book is just one part of the puzzle in reaching kids who have tuned out at school because they have become discouraged through their experiences wi
Tina
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my student teaching semester, so I choose this book hoping for some hints on motivating some of my students. This particular book seems to emphasize special ed and elementary ed students, which meant nearly every suggestion had to be adapted in some way. But when Lavoie wrote in generalizations this book was very helpful. When I utilized his advice in my classroom, I definately noticed that some students who had been tuned out were more motivated. This was definately one of the more help ...more
Wendy
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Richard Lavoie is one of my educational heroes. His level of empathy and understanding of students is unmatched, and it is refreshing to read a book with such a human viewpoint. We get so caught up in the minutia of daily lessons and grading that sometimes we forget about the bigger picture and all the other ways in which we can influence children. Lavoie reminds me that this is a privilege, and I should use it to its best advantage.
Kristy
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is an excellent source for those who are truly seeking to understand children and teach them effectively. The first 3/4 of the book was by far the most useful. Richard Lavoie organized it well, brought his thoughts to life with experiences from his own career, and wrote with an encouraging spirit that made me feel hopeful for those student with whom I work that just don't seem to love learning the way that I would like them to. The last quarter of the book is filled with the extra tidb ...more
Nathan
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I know intellectually that I'm supposed to motivate kids to learn, but there's never been any clarity before. This wonderful book makes it clear what motivates different types of kids, and has a lot of practical suggestions. He recommends the things that I know have worked on my kids in the past, and I can't wait to apply the new ideas. Well written, very human and sympathetic to kids (but not ignorant of the frustrations and pitfalls facing the parent and teacher), this is a delightful book.
Vivien Naomi Lee
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest lessons I learnt here was this: “Success is the greatest motivator (repeated many times in the book).” As a teacher, I would love for my kids to succeed and go far in their adulthood. However, I realize that I don’t have to build them up to succeed only in their adulthood; I can help them see they are already succeeding and will continue to succeed. By the time they reach adulthood, they could all be really strong, independent and driven learners! I am excited to apply what I ...more
Melanie
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm only about half way through but so far, I'm not very impressed. The author makes some good points, but most of them are ideas by someone else that he's just re-presenting or common sense things such as: praising children, offering them choices, let them use the bathroom, provide a safe environment. At the risk of sounding like a junior high kid, "Duh!"
I'm holding out hope that there will be some more innovative content further on in this book however, because I really do want some new ideas
Chris Wejr
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is definitely worth a read but I found some chapters much better than others. Lavoie's view of rewards is a bit confusing as he states over and over that they do not work... Yet her encourages them in some areas of the book. I enjoyed the narratives that Lavoie uses to share his message as there are many in which parents and educators can relate. Overall, I would recommend this book and key on the chapters that are relevant to you. Also, check out his YouTube videos as they share his m ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book I learned so much from it. I actually had to read this book for a conference I am going to. He is going to be the speaker. This book and the theory are right on target. I am currently using his theory in a classroom at a school where each student is paired with one teacher. It is the only one on one school in the nation. The motivation ideas and techniques are very practical. I actually have been using them on other people as well. I am impressed.
Kevin Hall
A solid text full of good reminders. Nothing struck me as earth-shattering, but I did find myself employing many of the concepts found in this book in my teaching. Therefore, a worthwhile read and a crash-course in teaching methodology that takes into account a more holistic approach to each unique child and situation.
Krisanne Stewart
Oh my goodness. All middle school teachers should be required to read this book. It has changed what I think about kids who aren't motivated. They actually are motivated, just not in perhaps the way that we hope our students would be! Lavoie gives great tips on how to figure out your students, and also has a section to help parents motivate their children. Loved every minute of it!
Helen
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This long book could have been half as long and much better if the author has addressed only teachers or only parents, but by trying to deal with both, the book was way too long. The idea of categorizing kids by what motivates them is a good idea, just like using a student's preferred method of learning. But I could have done without the rest.
Becky
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. This should be required reading for every school teacher - but it is also very helpful for parents. I don't think the title of the book is very fitting, but oh-well. Great tools to use in working with children. There were a couple of points I didn't agree with, but I did end up buying the book so I could refer back to it.
Marjorie
As the mother of an unmotivated, struggling, generally unhappy child, this book gave me a lot of hope. It was teeming with good strategies and I would recommend it to all who come in contact with students (parents, educators, admin, all else). I did get the impression it's geared more for early Ed.
Katrina Dreamer
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tutoring
I found a lot that I agree with in Lavoie's book and I plan to implement many of his strategies with my coaching and tutoring clients. I am going to keep the book around as part of my go-to for advice when I feel stuck with a student.
Jacqueline
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All teacher and parents need to read this, very quick and resourceful.
Rick Lavoie just tells you how it is and avoids all the over-commercialized crap that too many schools and teachers buy into too quickly, and abandon shortly thereafter.
Joneetha Pralou
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book. Addresses how to engage children that are smart, and have tuned out for any variety of factors. A must-read for any parent. It's a book I'll keep, and refer to frequently through my child-rearing years.
Ken Mackinnon
The most valuable part of this book was the individual chapters about different types of student personalities and motivation tips that work. Other than that, it seemed at times that the author's personal examples were merely made up to fill space.
Emily
Dec 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I LOVED this book!
Karen
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very informative. Most should attempt to read/browse through this book and pick up ideas/actions. "We do our best work when we compete against ourselves - not against others." pg 15
Donna
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rick Lavoie is a genius
Cari
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would recommend this to everyone. I can't wait to get my own copy and read it again.
Tracy Bailey
great book about reaching reluctant learners
Gary
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to learn to think like lavoie.
Denise
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know when something makes you think, but then at the same time seems like it should have been obvious all along? It's like that. Good one.
Kerri
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book. It is helpful for parents and educators. I have passed it on to other teachers at the school I work at.
Ginnie
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent information - just beginning
Brigitt
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you are a teacher or have children, this is a book that you will want to read - and re-read. Thought it was quite interesting.
Zena Lewis
May 25, 2015
Arlene S
Target audience is the classroom teacher - but appplicable to parenting.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Mind at a Time
  • The Power of Our Words: Teacher Language That Helps Children Learn
  • Bringing Words to Life: Robust Vocabulary Instruction
  • Teaching Gifted Kids in the Regular Classroom: Strategies and Techniques Every Teacher Can Use to Meet the Academic Needs of the Gifted and Talented
  • Endangered Minds: Why Children Don't Think And What We Can Do About It
  • The Way of Mindful Education: Cultivating Well-Being in Teachers and Students
  • Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World
  • Rethinking Homework: Best Practices That Support Diverse Needs
  • Visible Learning: A Synthesis of Over 800 Meta-Analyses Relating to Achievement
  • The Passion-Driven Classroom: A Framework for Teaching and Learning
  • The Knowledge Deficit: Closing the Shocking Education Gap for American Children
  • The Unwritten Rules of Friendship: Simple Strategies to Help Your Child Make Friends
  • The Myth of Ability: Nurturing Mathematical Talent in Every Child
  • The Trouble with Boys: A Surprising Report Card on Our Sons, Their Problems at School, and What Parents and Educators Must Do
  • Opening Minds: Using Language to Change Lives
  • What Great Principals Do Differently: 15 Things That Matter Most
  • Raising a Sensory Smart Child: The Definitive Handbook for Helping Your Child with SensoryIntegration Issues
  • How to Differentiate Instruction in Mixed-Ability Classrooms
Rick Lavoie is a consultant on learning disabilities.
More about Richard Lavoie...

“Adults need to come to understand that the child does not want any of our power. He merely wants some of his own.” 0 likes
“Parents cannot protect and guide without controlling and restricting. Children cannot become individuals without resisting and attacking. The process of child rearing is, therefore, inherently conflictual.” 0 likes