Jump to ratings and reviews

Millions of Snowflakes

"One little snowflake falls on my nose. It makes me shiver from my head to my toes." A little girl plays outside on a cold winter day, counting each snowflake as it falls softly to the ground. Bundled in her warmest snowsuit, she savors the snow, tasting each flake as it falls on her tongue, and makes snow angels. Simple rhyming text captures the joy of a winter afternoon while teaching basic counting skills. Exuberant pastel illustrations invite young readers to join the fun.

32 pages, Hardcover

8 books10 followers

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews
Profile Image for Stacy.
1,004 reviews91 followers
December 15, 2020
We liked this book, with its rhymes and the illustrations were adorable.
Profile Image for Laurie.
864 reviews
December 27, 2014
Booklist (Vol. 95, No. 5 (November 1, 1998))

Ages 2-3. As in Tell Me a Season (1997), Siddals has written a book for preschoolers with minimal, but descriptive text--a kind of playful poem about the natural world. This one, which rhymes, is about anticipating a snowfall, and all the great things a child can do in the snow, such as catching snowflakes and making snow angels. Sayles uses a cool palette of pinks, blues, and lavenders. Her pastel paintings begin small, floating in white space ("one little snowflake falls on my nose"), but the pictures grow with each spread as the snow fall becomes heavier--" millions of snowflakes in my hair" --until they finally fill the page. It's as if she zoomed in on one snowflake and then pulled back, expanding the field of view to reveal the complete scene of a little girl frolicking with her dog. This is a book, like Uri Shulevitz's, Snow (1998) or Ulli Steltzer's black-and-white photo essay Building an Igloo (1995), that will get an enthusiastic reaction from active young children.

Horn Book (Spring 1999)

In this small-format counting book, a girl counts falling snowflakes from one to five. The brief rhyming text captures the simple pleasure of cavorting in newly fallen snow, as do the lavender and blue pastel illustrations, which start off as small squares surrounded by white and grow in size as the numbers increase.

Kirkus Reviews (1998)

Siddals (Tell Me a Season, 1997) again looks to nature for inspiration in her tale of seasonal delight. This simple counting story celebrates a child's wonderment at the marvel of a snowfall. "Two little snowflakes get in my eyes./Blink! Blink! What a surprise!" Beginning with one lone flake falling on a child's nose, the gentle verse explores the various destinations of one, two, and more snowflakes, from nose to tongue, chin, and hand. "Millions of snowflakes in my hair./Snowflakes falling everywhere!" Moving from the first depiction of a solitary snowflake and gradually enlarging the focus to encompass the final full-page blizzard, Sayles's pastel illustrations deftly capture the essence of a child's pleasure in snow. Using delicate hues and softly drawn images, she recreates the quietude of a world blanketed in white. A sparkling salute to the frosty season.

School Library Journal (September 1998)

PreS-A short rhyming text captures a little girl's delight as she romps with her dog in a wintry landscape. The heavily bundled youngster counts, touches, and tastes the snowflakes as they fall around her. Linda Brennan's Flannel Kisses and Lezlie Evans's Snow Dance (1997, both Houghton) both welcome winter in rhyme; their longer texts and larger formats lend themselves better to group sharing than Millions of Snowflakes. However, Siddals's book is perfect for small hands, and Sayles's evocative illustrations in pastels create winter surroundings made for playful exploration.-Kathy Piehl, Mankato State University, MN
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Chryssi.
10 reviews
February 1, 2016
This is a great book to read aloud to younger children (babies and toddlers) because there are not many words on each page. It covers the concept of counting and exposes children to the early literacy skill of phonological awareness through rhyming. This short book effectively expresses the experience of the joy children find in the simplest things, such as snow falling in wintertime. It has wonderful illustrations and a nice flow with the numbers and rhyming. This is a delight to read as the seasons change. It is a very sweet book - beautiful in its simplicity.
4,961 reviews71 followers
February 2, 2016
A really sweet counting, winter story. Unfortunately, it didn't arrive in time for my lap time this year, so I didn't get to use it. 1/24/13

I love this and the one little toddler that came out for lap time on our coldest day did too. 1/7/14

Went over very well in my toddler snow program. 1/27/14

Used again for my Lap Time program and it was my favorite and went over well. Maybe 4.5
Profile Image for RC.
273 reviews18 followers
February 6, 2015
This sweet, winter counting book is a perfect companion to a snowy day. With gentle illustrations and simple words, this is a great book to share with an child or early reader. The muted colors and short prose all echo the quiet scene that the book lays out. It is a simple, sweet story-perfect for a snowy day.
Profile Image for Meg McGregor.
3,913 reviews80 followers
January 19, 2015
In Nevada we don't often have snow.

I would wish that Meimei, and all the little girls and boy who live here in Vegas, could experience the pure joy and wonder of a snowfall the way this little girl and her faithful dog do!
Profile Image for Miss Pippi the Librarian.
2,367 reviews53 followers
March 11, 2020
*This book is a not counting to a million. There is one phrase at the end the references a million snowflakes.*

A little one is exploring snowflakes and counts to five. This paired well with snowflakes on the flannel board.

2020 storytime theme: snowflakes

Reviewed from a library copy.
Profile Image for Jami.
487 reviews7 followers
June 9, 2008
The shortest bedtime story I've ever read. My daughters and I just looked at each other when it ended. "Read it again." she said. It was two minutes well spent overall I'd say.
Profile Image for Sydney McClure.
205 reviews
January 31, 2013
This is a good book for younger grades. It helps with counting and seasons. Inferencing can be taught as well, which I saw in my kindergarten classroom today.
Profile Image for Meg McGregor.
3,913 reviews80 followers
December 16, 2020
In Nevada we don't often have snow!

I wish that everyone could experience, the pure joy and wonder of a snowfall, the way this little girl and her faithful dog do!
Profile Image for Alison.
43 reviews21 followers
January 19, 2019
This is such a gentle book! Gorgeous, soft illustrations. Works really well with preschoolers and toddlers in a circle time.
Profile Image for Meghan Hunt.
619 reviews
November 14, 2013
This is a cute counting book of snowflakes falling one by one until there is five. I love that there is an action after each one. The book is quite small, but I hope to use it for a smaller group during a storytime on snow. I like the fact that I can get the audience to join in on the actions along with the story. It can be very interactive.
Profile Image for Pinky.
6,424 reviews13 followers
January 7, 2022
On a snowy day, millions of snowflakes fall around an awestruck child.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Kim Bogren Owen.
Author 3 books7 followers
January 23, 2016
This almost wordless counting book is perfect for the youngest child and celebrates the delight children feel when playing in the snow. Enjoy before you revel in your own snowy play with your child!
Displaying 1 - 30 of 32 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.