Start by marking “The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1

The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  235 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
The Traditional Bowyer's Bible series includes three essential volumes filled with history, humor, and practical advice. Invaluable information for anyone interested in the age-old lure of archery.
Published March 1st 2000 by Lyons Press (first published December 31st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Traditional Bowyer's Bible, Volume 1

Mark Werner
Jun 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
When I was a kid in the 50s, I became interested in archery largely due to the Richard Green version of Robin Hood on TV at the time.
When I was a bit older, I read Howard Hill's "Hunting The Hard Way". Hill was a prominent archer and archery hunter of the period.
At the time the book was published, archery was in a bit of decline, and Hill gave instructions for building your own tackle.
At the time, as a young teen, I didn't know a spokeshave from a bastard file.... So I filed the information away
Sep 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: archery
I have been an archer for about 13 or so years and when I learned that I could build a bow I had to know how, so this was the book recommended to me. I must have read the thing like 5 times before I attempted my first bow(which exploded because I rushed it) but this book gave me the information I needed to build a serviceable bow. there is all sorts of "data" in this book for the more experienced bowyer, but, It will become handy if you follow thru to the other volumes in this series (which are ...more
Robbe Clerckx
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Before I read this book I attended a two-day bow-making workshop (which was awesome), where I learned a lot.
A few months past and then I borrowed this book from someone, so I HAD to make another bow!

I learned a lot from this book, there are lots of detailed descriptions accompanied by helpful pictures. The first volume contains everything you need to know to make a bow. The authors are not afraid to break conventions and are open to new ideas.
Oct 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
So I've only read volumes 1 and 2 so far, but have been a little frustrated. These books have an amazing amount of information regarding wooden bowmaking, but they never actually tell you how to do it. How do I make a wooden bow? I feel like three or four pages would have been plenty on this subject.
David Sebastian
Apr 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really nice and instructive book, it speaks abput not only the techniques used to craft a wooden bow but even about the history of bowyery.
despite I've never tried woodcrafting this book motivated me even more than how I was before.
Joseph Martinez
Apr 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best on Bow making

I own the entire series in print, now that they are ebooks I will be buying them as well. You would be hard pressed to find a better series on Bow making. Since reading these books and few others I am now a life long student.
Nov 08, 2007 rated it really liked it
Early chapters contain good history and recommended reading on archery in general. This volume introduces important theory on self and backed bow making, especially wood selection, making and finding blanks, tools, tillering and truing.
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: archery
Brilliant. Well researched, OK written but clearly written by people who love what they do.
Apr 06, 2008 added it
Shelves: reference
Working my way through the 4 volumes in this series now. Will post a fuller review when I've tried actual construction.
Sep 21, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Martin Ortega
May 05, 2017
Feb 24, 2009
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Primitive Skills and Crafts: An Outdoorsman's Guide to Shelters, Tools, Weapons, Tracking, Survival, and More
  • How to Make a Forest Garden
  • Tom Brown's Science and Art of Tracking
  • Creating a Life Together: Practical Tools to Grow Ecovillages and Intentional Communities
  • Stick Fighting: Techniques of Self-Defense
  • Longbow: A Social and Military History
  • Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • The Complete Walker
  • Outdoor Survival Skills
  • SAS Survival Handbook: How to Survive in the Wild, in Any Climate, on Land or at Sea
  • The Soapmaker's Companion: A Comprehensive Guide with Recipes, Techniques  Know-How
  • The Oxford History of Medieval Europe
  • Edible Forest Gardens, Volume 2: Ecological Design and Practice for Temperate Climate Permaculture
  • Fifty Dangerous Things (You Should Let Your Children Do)
  • US Army Survival Manual: FM 21-76

$7.24 $1.99
  • Priceless: How I Went Undercover to Rescue the World's Stolen Treasures
  • Decoded
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Lost Art of Reading Nature's Signs: Use Outdoor Clues to Find Your Way, Predict the Weather, Locate Water, Track Animals-and Other Forgotten Skills
    $15.95 $1.99
  • A Man Called Intrepid: The Incredible True Story of the Master Spy Who Helped Win World War II
    $14.99 $1.99